PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands error "General Protection Fault"

repathon
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Hello,
I am trying to run Borderlands for the first time on my system...
However, whenever I try to run it through the games menu, I get this error:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1825/errorxl.png
What can I do to override this error?

wholives
10-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi I'm also getting the exact same error.
Very annoyed as I was looking forward to this and expect to be able to play games I paid for.
Tried reinstalling PhysX, disabling a core.
Didn't work.

Mashke
10-31-2009, 03:32 AM
I get this same error after 1-10 minutes of gameplay. I even tried previous version of my gfx-drivers since I heard the latest one might have something to do with it

captaino
10-31-2009, 10:13 AM
I have this problem too =( sometimes it will crash a minute after launch when the screen is black, before the 2K logo. But I can often get to the menu and the game works up until I get off the bus, crashes during the loading sequence, always.

WrUbel
11-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Had same problem. Reinstalled PhysX, DirextX (9.0c) and installed latest graphic card drivers (got Radeon HD4870). Surprisingly it worked. Before I couldn't even launch the game, after I've played for 5 hours, both single and multiplayer without a single problem.
Hope it will be that easy for You guys, game rocks:cool:

Zephire
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
reinstalled all of the above.

Still doesn't fix the issue for me. The game doesn't want to load up.

Any word on a fix coming our way for this?

Quitto
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
you need to download

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153

its an amd dual core optimizer
it makes the game work

i ended up uninstalling the game and installing the optimizer
i dont know if just downloading it will fix it
i was troubleshooting

happy gaming!!!1

i allready have that and it didnt work :(

i can play with only one core running but its no fun that way

Petersaber
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I installed the game, and when I try to run I get this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/149o7tj.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcjey9.jpg
and again
http://i45.tinypic.com/149o7tj.jpg

Dammit... I installed it on my sister's PC, and it worked. Why won't it work on my PC?!

Windows XP SP2
AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.8ghz, single core) (now AMD Athlon 64 3000+ , 2ghz single core)
2GB RAM
GeForce 7600 GS 256mb

jigsaw321
12-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Had same problem. Reinstalled PhysX, DirextX (9.0c) and installed latest graphic card drivers (got Radeon HD4870). Surprisingly it worked. Before I couldn't even launch the game, after I've played for 5 hours, both single and multiplayer without a single problem.
Hope it will be that easy for You guys, game rocks:cool:

THIS is what helped me. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't even launch. Turns out all I needed to do was install PhysX. Guess I didnt have it to begin with. Some textures dont show up but besides that it worked perfectly. Thanks bud!

VAC Angel
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Please post in the forum specific to the issue you are having, you will get swift and good responses. But seeing as we have some nice members here, they've helped you out well. Seems he's still having the issue, so keep the fixes coming for this guy!

SHODANFreeman
07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I've tried everything in this thread and more and I'm still getting the following error at random intervals while playing:

Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History: Address = 0xdfbf22 (filename not found)
Address = 0xdfbf22 (filename not found)

Address = 0x75c69617 (filename not found)
Address = 0x66e3dbf9 (filename not found)
Address = 0x5ec118 (filename not found)
Address = 0x3a0f618 (filename not found)
Address = 0x1dfb6fc (filename not found)
Address = 0x7655f2cb (filename not found)
Address = 0x1ff05ac (filename not found)
Address = 0x1feff20 (filename not found)
Address = 0xffffffff (filename not found)
Address = 0x6f2d1b (filename not found)
Address = 0x1feffdc (filename not found)
Address = 0x1aa0508 (filename not found)
Address = 0x7beb7040 (filename not found)
Address = 0x13a0c45 (filename not found)
Address = 0x237228e6 (filename not found)
Address = 0x237228e6 (filename not found)

Please someone help, I really want to play this game with my friends. :(

caveman26
07-12-2010, 01:22 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087499
a few things to try

SHODANFreeman
07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087499
a few things to try

I already tried all of those things in that thread. :(

msing
07-17-2010, 12:51 AM
For the record I had this problem today and fixed it.

Borderlands worked fine for a long time, then I installed a new nvidia GPU, which windows auto-installed drivers for. Borderlands still worked fine. But I was having problems with my machine crashing when it went to screensaver. So I uninstalled the windows drivers, intending to install them directly from nvidia, and rebooted. But windows reinstalled its drivers again before I got the chance. However this fixed my screensaver-crashing issue so I let the drivers be. That's when this problem with Borderlands started.

I tried verifying the game cache twice. No errors, but still didn't fix Borderlands. I tried updating DirectX like someone suggested in a previous post, but it wouldn't do it because my DirectX was already the newer version. I tried reinstalling Borderlands. Still didn't work.

Then I reinstalled my GPU driver straight from nvidia, rebooted, and then Borderlands worked fine.

tl;dr: reinstalling my nvidia GPU drivers directly from the nvidia site (i.e. NOT using windows-installed drivers) fixed the problem.

SHODANFreeman
07-17-2010, 01:50 AM
tl;dr: reinstalling my nvidia GPU drivers directly from the nvidia site (i.e. NOT using windows-installed drivers) fixed the problem.

I've always installed my drivers straight from nvidia, so this doesn't help my problem. :(

sagar
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
hi everybody

i suffered this problem few weeks ago.
i played this game 6 months ago, and completed both the secret armory and zombie island, and never suffered any problem.
few weeks ago i download the mad moxxi's underdone riot. to play this dlc i have to update game to v1.3. i download the update and update the game.

from this day i started to suffer crashing problem.
yesterday i download the v1.4 update also and update game but nothing works. so i delete the game and reinstall it but not install update and i play more than 4 hours and game didn't crash.

so my opinion on this problem is try not to update ur game and see. and tell me even though ur getting a same problem or not.

thank you

PWNZOR666
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a similar error. Instead of launching from Steam, try navigating directly to Borderlands.exe and launching it manually (located in [Steampath]\steamapps\common\borderlands).

Blutspender
02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm getting the "General Protection Fault!"-Error here too.
I own the Borderlands: GotY (All DLCs).
Error-Screen: http://www.abload.de/img/errorntt5.jpg

Things I already tried:
-Verifying integrity of game cache (didn't help)
-Defragmenting cache files (didn't help)
-Re-Installing (after that, Borderlands works for about two hours and then shows me the error again and again)
-Re-Installing Nvidia Drivers (didn't help)
-Re-Installing PhysX (didn't help)
-Running it with only one core (didn't help)
-Running it without Steam (with only the Borderlands.exe) (didn't help)

My System:
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
CPU: Intel Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
RAM: 4096 MB
MoBo: GIGABYTE P55-USB3

I hope you can help.
Thanks in advance.

DaMuncha
02-27-2011, 03:57 AM
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)
(Filename not found.)

Boooo!

Blutspender
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I tried running it in administrator mode and it worked: No General Protection Fault-Errors anymore.

HomerSimpson
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I had the same but first time i thought it said Vault.
and i thought i finished the game so badass the vault imploded...
i fixed it somehow, forgot how though.

Blutspender
03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I had the same but first time i thought it said Vault.
and i thought i finished the game so badass the vault imploded...
i fixed it somehow, forgot how though.

Guess you got hit by the general protection of the vault.

hool10
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I have the exact same error. 2K tech support won't contact me back and their official forums are no better: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=2216798#post2216798 IMO the only thing to get their attention is reporting them to the BBB (Better Business Bureau).

Draco221
03-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Ok i have the same issue like many people here ... it worked fine for ages no problems didn't play it for around 6 months come to play it and *poof* can't start up General Protection Fault. Borderlands.exe filename not found (yet it's there) and then it says the same again diferent location though and then it tells me a system32 file is not found. Yet that is also there. My computer is more than powerful enough to play the game HOWEVER i have heard that if you own XP (like me) and/or and 32-bit operating system (like me also) alot of games tend not to run like they should. Borderlands may be one of them)

Other Games i have had problems with that have been "Hard to fix":
- Killing Floor
- Left 4 Dead
- Blacklight: Tango Down (Can never get it to work as it says incorrect CD key) **AND IT ISN'T**
- Medal of Honour: Single Player (Don't buy it it's a poor version of MW2) **AND MW2 ISN'T BRILL**
- Fallout 3 GOTY (All DLC's come with) **AND AFTER AN HOUR OF PLAYING IT DIDN'T EVEN RECOGNISE I OWNED THE DLC'S**
- Zero Gear (Although thats probobly my internets fault)
- Worms Reloaded (Doesn't work on MultiPlayer for me :( ... )

Latharion
03-09-2011, 01:47 AM
This sounds suspiciously like a SecuROM problem. While I don't have a solution, checking their website might shed some light on the issues. I have read about a SecuROM update that is available on their website, though I have yet to try it. Anyone willing to give it a go?

hool10
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I tried running it in administrator mode and it worked: No General Protection Fault-Errors anymore.
I actually tried this last night and it worked as well. I AM the admin though as I have UAC off meaning everything will run in admin mode. Deliberately right-clicking on the app and clicking "Run as Admin" made my GPF error go away. Poorly coded game if that really was the reason to fix it. Bad part now is I can't run the game with Steam.

Is there a launch code to put into Steam so I run the program as admin?

Lordcontaminus
03-10-2011, 02:45 AM
I installed the latest Microsoft Visual C++ and it fixed it for me on Win7 x64.

hool10
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I actually tried this last night and it worked as well. I AM the admin though as I have UAC off meaning everything will run in admin mode. Deliberately right-clicking on the app and clicking "Run as Admin" made my GPF error go away. Poorly coded game if that really was the reason to fix it. Bad part now is I can't run the game with Steam.

Is there a launch code to put into Steam so I run the program as admin?
Actually this DID NOT fix the problem and it still persists. Game is unfixable due to shoddy dev's.

Blutspender
03-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching in administrator mode will make the main game more playable, I get much less GPF-Errors. Anyways, as I am through the main game now, I have to experience that this does not apply to the DLCs: It crashes as much as without admin-mode. That combined with the bad save/load-system makes the DLCs unplayable.

hool10
03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Launching in administrator mode will make the main game more playable, I get much less GPF-Errors. Anyways, as I am through the main game now, I have to experience that this does not apply to the DLCs: It crashes as much as without admin-mode. That combined with the bad save/load-system makes the DLCs unplayable.
Pretty much the same for me as well. I made it like 1/2 way through the main game and then it just started crashing. I rushed through the missions before the next crash and finally got to the end. Sometimes on a re-install the game would not crash for like 2 hours and I got lucky. I'm at the end of Dr. Ned island and it's just crashing 15min in all the time.

Mondueo
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I had a simular error, I have two hard drives one has steam and games, the other has windows 7 64bit. I reinstalled windows, and kept all the games files on the other HDD intact. When i lunched borderlands i got the Infamous General Protection Fault error. I then found out the if i moved the borderlands folder out of the steam common folder to somewhere else...like the desktop and lunched the game that way It ran fine. So obviously I redownloaded steam and installed over my existing copy. Pasted the borderlands file back to the steam folder where it belongs and everything worked. Steam was jacked for me. Maybe it is for you?

Blutspender
03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
@Mondueo: That helped, no crashes, even in the DLCs. I wonder if it'll start again later on, but right now, it's working fine (+rep).

I had a crash right now.

lasertagrocks
04-21-2011, 02:17 AM
no one has figured out a way to fix these problems?

Ashlou
05-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't know if this fixed it, but I have an ASUS 9800GT. I uninstalled Asus Gamer OSD (some silly unnecessary utility that only really captures video/screenshots), and I believe that might have been the cause. I still crash from time to time, but my framerate is like 2x higher now, and crashes are much less frequent.

Asus Smart Doctor will give you errors when you start up your computer, just ignore them. Make sure you are monitoring GPU temperatures and fan speed though!

Detinator73
05-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Well I am having problems with the game.... Every time I boot it up, it instantly crashes with a General Protection Fault error.... I wish there was a way to clear that up...

SzFeri82
05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
no one has figured out a way to fix these problems?
I had the exact same general protection fault on WinXP 64 bit.

I was able to solve the problem by setting Borderlands.exe's affinity in the task manager, to use 2 cores only from my quad core processor.

Works like a charm.

goldnuts
09-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Same worthless error here..

Setting affinity to 1 core doesn't help

Latest drivers etc already installed

Oh great, people reporting this almost 2 years ago. No fix, no patch, just "set affinity to 1 processor before it starts" wtf

Paid good money for this ♥♥♥♥. Doesn't work. Ahem

Russian_nut
10-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Has anyone found a fix for this?

Red Rider
11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I had the exact same general protection fault on WinXP 64 bit.

I was able to solve the problem by setting Borderlands.exe's affinity in the task manager, to use 2 cores only from my quad core processor.

I also run WinXP 64 bit. Ran in to general protection faults right and left on my GOTY install from the Halloween sale. Finally solved the problem and was able to play for 8 hours+ without a crash.

1. Set the affinity to 1 core on my 2 core processor. I did this before the game goes full screen and the "splash" screen is open. Just catch it in the task manager. And set the affinity.

2. Ran the game not from steam but by right clicking on the Borderlands.exe executable in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\borderlands\Binaries choosing Run as ... choosing the radio button The following user: selecting Administrator then typing the Admin password in hunter2. Note that I'm always logged on as the Administrator. I'm never another login. But I do it anyway.

I have to do those two things or GPF's happen at irregular intervals varying from 5 minutes to 2 hours.

*EDIT: Nope didn't last.

nrnoble
11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this?

Yes, Step 6 (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4595-WEXN-6831)

Red Rider
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
With my Win XP x64 bit install I did everything to try to get it to run Borderlands without crashing. Nothing would make it stable.

"But Red Rider did you try.."

Yes! I fuking tried that.

I gave up on XP SP2 x64 and installed Windows 7 SP1 x64.

Zero Problems. Ran for hours. I'm going to state that Borderlands is just not compatible with XP x64. I've always had small issues with XP x64 and games anyway. Being limited to DirectX 9.0c was also getting annoying.

Kept shots of about half of the problems and messages. (http://imgur.com/a/YHWaU) Click for a laugh at my frustrations.

meatee
12-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I experienced this problem for the first time today, and here's what worked for me:

Go to Programs and Features and uninstall the Nvidia Physx driver (not your entire display driver, only the Physx driver). Run the driver install from Nvidia's website and let it install everything again, including the Physx driver.

I noticed in my Programs and Features list that the Physx driver had a generic icon, while all the other Nvidia drivers had the Nvidia logo as their icon, so I'm thinking something got corrupted on the Physx drivers.

At any rate, this worked for me, so hopefully this will do the trick for you. I tried uninsalling/reinstaling the entire driver package first, but that didn't work. It only worked when I uninstalled the Physx driver separately.

---
Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
Core i7-2600 3.4 Ghz
12 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 560 Ti

djshauny1
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I experienced this problem for the first time today, and here's what worked for me:

Go to Programs and Features and uninstall the Nvidia Physx driver (not your entire display driver, only the Physx driver). Run the driver install from Nvidia's website and let it install everything again, including the Physx driver.

I noticed in my Programs and Features list that the Physx driver had a generic icon, while all the other Nvidia drivers had the Nvidia logo as their icon, so I'm thinking something got corrupted on the Physx drivers.

At any rate, this worked for me, so hopefully this will do the trick for you. I tried uninsalling/reinstaling the entire driver package first, but that didn't work. It only worked when I uninstalled the Physx driver separately.

---
Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
Core i7-2600 3.4 Ghz
12 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 560 Ti

worked for me too

thanks mate

:)

Honey Munchkin
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
I had real problems with general protection faults and rendering errors. I did all the usual stuff like reinstall the nvidia drivers, physx etc It was particularly bad when I bought the downloadable content. I wasn't able to play the game for long enough before it crashed and I ended up back at the beginning again.

I have an Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 4 megs ram, 32 bit Windows Vista and an Asus graphics card 512 mb with an Nvidia chip. I noticed that there were two resident programs that I hadn't really ever bothered to investigate before. Asus GamerOSD and ASUS SmartDoctor. It occurred to me that having previously had problems with Asus motherboards overclocking everything and not being able to run it all normally, removing these programs might help. I'm still not sure what they are supposed to do, give you control of the fan speed for overclocking I think. But I removed the two programs and it now works well enough to have allowed me to finish all the downloadable content.

While I was at it, I cleaned all the dust out of the computer box as well in case it was overheating. I do it every year or so and there were one or two dustballs in there but nothing like a thick blanket or anything.

pablo.ap
03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Any solution for this yet?
I bought the game for 3 friends and one of them is having this issue.
Tried the physx thing, cache, etc etc, but still showing the same error message when trying to launch the game.

Russian_nut
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Forgot about this. I did fix it, but can't recall how. Sorry.

Ram-Kults
03-11-2012, 04:47 AM
This is not my fix, but it helped me.I played 2 days already and this fault didnt occured for me.

Run cmd as Admin(shift+ctrl+enter), and type this
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072, then enter, then restart computer.

If you want change all back, you need to do same process, but type bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048.

P.S Sorry for my english.

_tsundere
03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I played this game for 28h without any problem until today
I remember steam notify me that new drivers where available so i install it but then when i try to play come the error "General Protection Fault"
so i downloaded the drivers directly from amd site and install it
that solve my problem

my specs
CPU Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
RAM 8.00 GB DDR3 @ 1600
Mobo ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770

Niightwing
03-19-2012, 04:37 AM
This game is basically unplayable to me because of this.

DeathRock
06-17-2012, 06:45 PM
This game is basically unplayable to me because of this.

Ok, try to uninstall Nvidia PhysX. And Install PhysX from \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Prerequis ites\
PhysX_8.10.29_SystemSoftware.exe
After this step you can continue to install New PhysX drivers from Nvidia Page.
For Me It works

Lorbid
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
FYI, this is how I fixed it.

I uninstalled PhysX completely, then reinstalled PhysX using the Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Prerequisites\, then updated PhysX again from the Mass Effect 2 version, and now both ME2 and borderlands work again.

ADFD
07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I bought the GOTY during the summer sale and I cannot play it due to this error :(

3ICE
07-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Bumping thread from page 3 because this issue is still very much relevant.

And here is a nice screenshot to boot:
http://static.3ice.hu/images/Borderlands-general-protection-fault.png
Instead of the game I got to play with an OK button today. And the message is so voluminous that it can almost be considered a fullscreen experience. Although there is no FoV slider and the text is not 16xAA so I think I'll pass.

I won't be buying Borderlands if it only works with an old version of PhysX. Who knows how many security fixes were applied between version 8.10.29 that comes with Borderlands and the 9.12.0213 version that we use today...

pbackx
07-28-2012, 03:27 AM
I'd just like to add my voice: tried all the fixes mentioned here for over an hour. Nothing worked, so I'm giving up.

Bumping thread from page 3 because this issue is still very much relevant.

And here is a nice screenshot to boot:
http://static.3ice.hu/images/Borderlands-general-protection-fault.png
Instead of the game I got to play with an OK button today. And the message is so voluminous that it can almost be considered a fullscreen experience. Although there is no FoV slider and the text is not 16xAA so I think I'll pass.

I won't be buying Borderlands if it only works with an old version of PhysX. Who knows how many security fixes were applied between version 8.10.29 that comes with Borderlands and the 9.12.0213 version that we use today...

dazzawul
09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I got this error, completely uninstalling physx then reinstalling it fixed it for me.

Tezorian
02-14-2013, 05:34 AM
After numerous tried i finally fixed it as well.
I also had the (file not found) errors.

I uninstalled all Visual C++ Packages and PhysX.
I then installed Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64 for me) and loaded up borderlands again. It installed PhysX and after it finished, i was finally able to play.