PDA

View Full Version : DX GOTY HDTP

dkminton
10-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Ok moderators, my apologies if this is a duplicate thread. However, I've searched everywhere and tried everything that I can think of trying to make it happen. So, I've got to ask the question directly, hoping to get a direct answer: Will DX HDTP work with Steam, and if yes, how do you do it?

Svein_Skogen
10-31-2009, 05:00 AM
It should work (in theory). The steam version of DX is the exact same as the retail, but with a different starting block of the EXE file (the spinning-plastic-check is replaced with a steam check).

As with all games based on the unreal engine, the game folder is split into "system" (containing the system executables and config files), sounds, textures, music, maps, and a separate save folder).

What might cause trouble, is that these new textures and models have a different secure-hash than the original ones, so the VAC might trigger, or steam might assert that there is something wrong with your files and re-download it.

If the mod is a free one, all this might be remedied if steam accepts to distribute the mod in their system (I'm not 100% certain about how the steam system verifies files, and so far I've had little reason to examine it. As long as it works, there really isn't any reason to spend time studying it.)

//Svein

RickSummon
11-04-2009, 11:18 PM
When I try to run it, it says "Application error: Failed to find Steam." I'm not sure what I'd need to do to allow it to work here.

gig4ls
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
It should work (in theory). The steam version of DX is the exact same as the retail, but with a different starting block of the EXE file (the spinning-plastic-check is replaced with a steam check).

This is one problem. By default, HDTP wants to use its own binary which will obviously fail. To get around this, you need to follow the instructions as posted here:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=947&start=0
Try locating these two files:
DeusEx.ini
HDTP.ini
Then find these lines in HDTP.ini:
Quote:
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
And copy them to the top of the "Paths=" list in DeusEx.ini. Then run the game and see what happens

Now I haven't gotten my copy to work 100%...using D3D the brightness seems wonky (white fades into grey, making for an exciting game menu :cool: and the whole game seems much darker than it should be) but at least the HDTP can be applied to the steam version of this game.