PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age says I am offline

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. I downloaded Dragon Age from steam, went into my account here and redeemed all of my keys. When I run the game and try to log in, so I can get my DLC, it says "You are currently not connected to the internet. When you are reconnected to the internet, please close your log-in window and try logging in again."

I know I am online (obviously) and I have no firewall or port blocking going on. I know the program can access the internet, because I can see the DLC list when I click the Downloadable Content button, but it will not enable the "Log In" button because it stupidly thinks I am offline. Any way to fix this? Anyone else having this issue?

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Nobody has this issue?

marsson
11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Do you have a anti-virus program that might be blocking the game? I had huge problems playing L4D online until i allowed it through my anti-virus... try that.

Hendar23
11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably just the website being swamped under first day pressure. Wait a bit and try again.

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Do you have a anti-virus program that might be blocking the game? I had huge problems playing L4D online until i allowed it through my anti-virus... try that.

Nope no anti-virus running. Hendar23 is probably right, it's just a bit frustrating.

marsson
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Ah, well then there's nothing to do but to wait :D

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Ah, well then there's nothing to do but to wait :D

Well I can PLAY the game right now if I want, I'm just annoyed that I won't get to use my DLC or preorder/bonus items.

Agent_Mulder
11-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm having the exact same issue as forsaken -- it says I'm not connected to the internet and the log in button is greyed out. I've found that I cannot access https://profile.ea.com which looks like it's the same server that the game is querying when I try to log in.

-I am not running an anti-virus or third-party firewall. Disabling the Windows firewall has no effect.
-Other computers in my house can access the EA profile page no problem. My friends are able to access that page as well.
-I can ping profile.ea.com and get the correct IP (the same one I get when pinging it from working systems).
-I can access other SSL pages fine... my bank, etc.
-My VMWare virtual machines that run on my system can access the page fine through my NIC.

Things I've tried:
-Flushing the DNS cache.
-Renewing IPs internal and external, rebooting router.
-Changing my local IP.
-Disabling all port forwarding and UPnP.
-Checked the hosts file, nothing there but localhost. =)

The only differences I've found between the working systems and mine is that I am running Vista x64 and have Chrome installed. The others are all XP/Win 7 and have IE or Firefox installed.

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm having the exact same issue as forsaken -- it says I'm not connected to the internet and the log in button is greyed out. I've found that I cannot access https://profile.ea.com which looks like it's the same server that the game is querying when I try to log in.

-I am not running an anti-virus or third-party firewall. Disabling the Windows firewall has no effect.
-Other computers in my house can access the EA profile page no problem. My friends are able to access that page as well.
-I can ping profile.ea.com and get the correct IP (the same one I get when pinging it from working systems).
-I can access other SSL pages fine... my bank, etc.
-My VMWare virtual machines that run on my system can access the page fine through my NIC.

Things I've tried:
-Flushing the DNS cache.
-Renewing IPs internal and external, rebooting router.
-Changing my local IP.
-Disabling all port forwarding and UPnP.
-Checked the hosts file, nothing there but localhost. =)

The only differences I've found between the working systems and mine is that I am running Vista x64 and have Chrome installed. The others are all XP/Win 7 and have IE or Firefox installed.

I have tried all of that as well, not really sure why I can't access it. Nothing in my hosts file, released/renewed, flushed DNS, power cycled my router. Nothing at all.

MalReynolds
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
If your firewall is blocking the app itself from going out, then this could be your issue. You have connectivity, but that connectivity may not be allowed through dao.exe (or whatever). Just a thought.

Agent_Mulder
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the response Mal. Early on I checked the firewall settings and the dragon age executable was listed in the exceptions (I assume the setup did that automatically). I also tried disabling the firewall and had the same result, "you are currently not connected to the internet."

This really is a bizarre problem. I'm also unable to access EA's support site, http://support.ea.com

At first this clearly looked like a DNS problem but I'm beginning to think that isn't the case. My system has no problem resolving the (sub)domains into the correct IPs, which I can verify by having a friend do the same.

What's happening when I try to access https://profile.ea.com is that it resolves the DNS query, sends the request, and then (after a minute or two), times out. No 404 or other error, just a timeout.

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I have the same symptoms here. I have no firewall active and nothing to block either the app or the query for the website. I can access every other ea.com website but not profile.ea.com

It is truly bizarre, and I don't really understand why that website alone is unable to be viewed. My DNS query is resolved, I can ping and traceroute it, but cannot view the page.

Agent_Mulder
11-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I have the same symptoms here. I have no firewall active and nothing to block either the app or the query for the website. I can access every other ea.com website but not profile.ea.com

It is truly bizarre, and I don't really understand why that website alone is unable to be viewed. My DNS query is resolved, I can ping and traceroute it, but cannot view the page.

Exactly. It's almost like EA's web server is just discarding our HTTP requests. It's not a routing issue because other systems is my house work fine. Even a virtual machine running on my system and using my NIC works fine.

What OS/browser are you running forsaken? I'm waiting on EA's customer support on another system and it'd be nice if we could establish some correlation.

Hendar23
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the problem is 1 million people trying to access the servers at the same time.

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the problem is 1 million people trying to access the servers at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I can access this website from my laptop, my 2nd desktop, my girlfriend's computer, and my iphone. I CANNOT access it from my gaming computer. If the problem was that the server was too busy, this would be network-wide not isolated. I work as a network administrator, so I know how troubleshooting works. :)

forsaken1111
11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I got it working. I use Tweak7 to change system settings, and I had it on the 'agressive' internet profile which is designed for the fastest connections. I have a 20mb line, up and down, so this works fine for me for everything else. It turns out the settings I use make the SSL they use on profile.ea.com assume I am a spammer/scammer/spider or some other type of malicious bot and so it auto-rejects the connection. The instant I dropped the profile a notch it worked fine. Wooo

Agent_Mulder
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I got it working as well. For future reference, it looks like the specific setting that EA's server doesn't like is ECN Capability. If anyone else has this problem, open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) and use the following:

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled

drhazard
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm having the same problem. I tried Mulder's solution, but it seems to be limited to Vista PCs and I have XP--so no dice.

DamageSponge
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I had PeerGuardian running and that was my issue.

RvLeshrac
11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I got it working as well. For future reference, it looks like the specific setting that EA's server doesn't like is ECN Capability. If anyone else has this problem, open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) and use the following:

HALLE-FREAKING-LUJAH.

If only I could give you a thousand points of rep. Too bad EA's site is horrible broken. Some of us actually *USE* ECN.

[edit]

Seriously. I would paypal you money for this if I hadn't just bought DA. You deserve to get something from EA/Bioware for figuring this out, as you're apparently the only one to do so. This also appears to have fixed my issue with the Bioware forums.

nunyaa
12-14-2009, 06:30 PM

HOLY F'ing HELL....I NEED TO MAIL YOU A KEG OF SUDZ FOR THIS ONE!

CaptainNeatoman
01-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Mulder, thanks so much for that solution. I've been having the same problem on my Vista x64 machine and it was driving me crazy. Tried what you said and it cleared it right up.

digiconda
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
@Mulder - I had the no internet connection problem as well on a Win 7 system - I flipped the switch you indicated and it went through like there was never a problem! Thanks.

A question though - do I need the "ecn" capability for normal aspects of normal internet usage? Should I re-enable that setting after each Dragon Age session?

Thanks again and ahead for your help!

Digiconda

Thoth
01-25-2011, 03:47 AM
I am having this issue now as well, and it's cropped up out of the blue after it was connecting just fine for the past week. Tried applying the ECN fix from this thread, tried resetting my modem and changing my DNS settings, but to no avail - DA still refuses to see my internet connection.

Eluzive
01-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Same here. Not out of the blue, though. I just started the game for the first time today and can't log in to activate all the DLC.

I've opened ports on my router, disabled the windows firewall, tried the ecncapability fix, rebooted my router, etc and the game still refuses to acknowledge that i'm online.

kitsunestrife
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Anytime I have conection problems, I turn off my firewall. If that works, then I know what's causing it.

soviet_
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
The EA servers are getting hammered because Dead Space 2 has been released today :)

Eluzive
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, that may well have been the case as I managed to log in eventually. :)