PDA

View Full Version : man, this game is crashing a lot >_<

Katrina Looter
11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
im in act II and im finaly getting into this game-- i bought the enhanced DC edition and during the prologue i was borderline deleting the game, however i decided to stick it out for a bit and im becoming more pleased with it.

however, now the game is subject to endless crashing and bugs. it seems i cant travel around the swamp for more than 10 minutes or so without invoking a total and utter crash-- not just the game, it hangs so deeply i cant alt+tab out and i have to totally reset my system. this is REALLY ♥♥♥♥ing annoying.

also, the quests involving conrad seem to be not working properly, -- i went and got the wine but he is no longer at the Inn, i cant find him anywhere at all. the quest tracker gives me a waypoint to the inn but i cant find him there ever or anywhere else.

its really annoying because the prologue and first chapter didnt crash at all and now Act II seems unplayable.

Washell
11-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Deep into Act III now. Total amount of crashes: zero...

Check audio and video drivers for latest version, try tweaking some of the game settings for the same 2 things.

Katrina Looter
11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
already have the latest drivers.

i wasnt getting any crashes in prologue or act I though- thats whats strange to me. its only happening when im traveling around the swamp.

Pho
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
You sure when you updated to the latest drivers you completely removed the old ones ala driversweeper?

Hirmuinen
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
i wasnt getting any crashes in prologue or act I though- thats whats strange to me. its only happening when im traveling around the swamp.

I had couple of crashes on Swamp, too. None before or after that tho.

Syncourt
11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Just up to the first town (at the point where I just got the dice to play poker) so far had 2 crashes. First crash happened while saving game, second crash while loading game. The game itself runs perfectly smooth without a hitch otherwise.

Clean, defragmented hard drive, all drivers up to date.

1920x1080
8800gtx 768mb
2.6ghz C2D w/ aftermarket cooler
4gb DDR2 ram
Vista

173gb free space and over 20 other recent games that do not crash (Borderlands, Resident evil 5, Majesty 2, Section 8, Street fighter IV, Killing floor just to name a few).

Katrina Looter
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You sure when you updated to the latest drivers you completely removed the old ones ala driversweeper?

nope, i dont bother doing that. i dont want to spark a debate, you wont convince me that its anything more than useless and unnecessary to do that, im pretty sure that its a problem with the game and not my machine. i have dozens of video games, and absolutely not a single one of them crashes while i play them.

kgylje29
11-07-2009, 03:29 AM
My game crashes alot to ALOT, Everything is up to date, but I have had problems with Steam games before, this game Im lucky to play 10min with out it blowing up. Its always something about the vidio driver not responding and after it has crashed and Im out in Widows again it says it has retrived the drivers.

2,4gHz dual core
nVidia 9800Gtx
4gig ram
Vista 32

FYI
When someone makes a post about having a problem with a game and and looking for help, ppl that post things like "my game never crashes blablabla" do you realy think we care??
We want solutions not to know how good everything goes for you. Make a new post about that if you have the need to tell everyone how well the game runs for you, but not here!
Its not a competision, we want help not braging.

Washell
11-08-2009, 03:16 AM
FYI
When someone makes a post about having a problem with a game and and looking for help, ppl that post things like "my game never crashes blablabla" do you realy think we care??

Troubleshooting: find the problem by eliminating common areas other people also have, but play without problem. Thus, several people in this thread saying that the game does not crash for them rules out crappy code in the game to some extent. This tells the OP to start looking into his own system for issues. Thus, you may not care but it does serve a function.

For example, Left 4 Dead and Portal kept crashing on my system, other games ran fine. Tried Half Life 2, same crashes. So I knew the Source engine wasn't working nicely with my computer. Coming on this forum and say the Source engine is crapped and buggy would generate enough heat in the ensuing flamewar to solve our energy problems, so I started tweaking one thing at the time. The thing that made it finally run stable: setting the memory from 1066 to 800, it just didn't like going that fast.

sleepydragy
11-11-2009, 05:35 AM
My game crashes alot to ALOT, Everything is up to date, but I have had problems with Steam games before, this game Im lucky to play 10min with out it blowing up. Its always something about the vidio driver not responding and after it has crashed and Im out in Widows again it says it has retrived the drivers.

2,4gHz dual core
nVidia 9800Gtx
4gig ram
Vista 32

i have a very similar system and i have only crashed once (think it was my fault anyway) the only difference is that i use xp i noticed that the people in this topic that are having problems that posted their specs are both using vista coincidence?

Syncourt
11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Duh! it's not everybody...
Otherwise the game wouldn't have ever been released.
But it is: The game + System combinations that were not tested thoroughly.

So far we have only 2 people posting specs, if it runs fine at least post your specs...

Would love to get this sorted out, its act 3 now and crashing more and more. Seems to be some sort of memory leak problem related to saving/loading or something. Eventually the map turns completely black and all you can see are the dot locations on it. This also hints that the game will crash guaranteed upon your next save/load.

It always takes a little bit before the game will crash too, it never crashes just after I start playing.

Crusader
12-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Its always something about the video driver not responding and after it has crashed and I'm out in Windows again it says it has retrieved the drivers.

Afaik, that's an Nvidia driver issue. I've had and everyone I know with NV cards (believe it or not that's actually quite a lot), has had/have that issue. The only way to fix that from my experience, is changing to ATI. (no I'm not a fan-boy - screw you Valve and your pathetic moderation -, I loved my 8800GTS back in the day so f-off with any flaming)

gametr4x
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Afaik, that's an Nvidia driver issue.

I have that issue with ATI all the time in Windows 7, and occasionally in Windows XP, with an HD4870 running (drivercleaned) cat 9.12. Not sure what causes it exactly yet, but I've had it a lot on Dragon Age and The Witcher alike.

I'm experiencing a lot of crashes with The Witcher as well. They only register as "Application Error" in the event viewer, with some random memory address. I tried running it in both Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit, since I have a dual boot system. The problem occurs identically in both OS's, with the inclusion of more frequent VPU recover issues for Windows 7.

Usually it crashes after about 20-60 minutes. Note: the game always crashes to desktop, giving a message that "witcher.exe" has stopped working, etc. No complete hangs or BSOD's or whatnot.

Rig:
- Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0
- AMD Phenom X3 2.8Ghz
- 4GB RAM
- XFX HD4870 1GB
- Windows XP SP3 32bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Bague
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
did you let steam verify the game files?

when the game crashes in 1 area only maybe something is damaged there.
other thing may be that the specific area uses your hardware more or in a different way than other areas, maybe a ram or GPU problem

Psamathos
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Why would you resurrect an old thread where the OP is banned?

Well, anyways, I had a similar problem with the game crashing. I found it was entirely to do with overheating. I cleaned out the fans on my CPU and GPU and it never crashed after that. The Witcher is unusually processing intensive, apparently. Monitor your system temperatures if the game crashes, see if anything is too hot.

mrclean92124
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
OK, i had some frequent crashing on new SP3 XP image. I researched and found a bunch of info on this and similar errors including the strong suggestion that this was an update issue related to .net 2.0. Apparently some files in recent patch of Whicher require updated .net runtime libraries. All good, but there was never a prompt during Witcher patch to upgrade any windows components.

Here is my error with Crash to desktop:
Faulting application witcher.exe, version 1.5.0.1304, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x00008aa0.

Funny thing is, I looked at my windows update queue, and I saw .net 2.0 was waiting to install!!! So i went ahead and finished .net 2.0 and went through with the .net 3.5 SP1 install right after.

Since then I haven't had one crash..still testing now, but, this fix has a good chance to resolve this. If you are having similar problems, make sure you are up to .net 3.5 SP1(link) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en) and see if it helps.

gametr4x
01-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Already had 3.5, so that wasn't my issue. Mine apparently had to do with overheating, as was suggested.

I hooked up some extra case fans and the problem has ceased. I'm guessing something in the motherboard was overheating when it the case temp hit 60 Celcius, after which the game would crash.

Funny how it only crashed the game though. I've had motherboard overheating issues (north bridge specifically) that always lead to power-outs or BSOD's, and GPU overheating that would have similar results, but never only the application crashing. Guess there's a first for everything.

Foey
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I get regular crashing that is not overheating related, it appears to be because of poor programming of the game's use of memory. After playing for a while, I'll check the map and it will be black except for the highlighted circles. I can leave it like that forever or run around in that area, so it's clearly not overheating. But if you try to save when the map is like that the game crashes. This is an issue that has been well known since the game was released years ago, and they still haven't fixed it even with whatever this secret latest update was

mrclean92124
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Just wanted to report that approximately 10 hours of gameplay later, ZERO crashes. After I got .net 3.5 SP1 installed, the game became absolutely stable.

Very happy with this game.

mrclean92124
01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
So, witcher.exe started crashing now, but new error, faulting "witcher.exe" LOL....

Back to the drawing board, Next step is to turn down audio acceleration...etc.

Rolf Roger
01-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Guy above me recommends cleaning out your computerfans and cards. I see those of you that have problems doesnt list have graphic cards new of 2009 appearently... Try blowing the dust out of those fans and heatsinks, might just solve everything! (And then you`ll feel really dumb for calling The Witcher a piece of ♥♥♥♥ bugged up game, TS)

Never had a crash here, that i can remember.

Win7 HP
i7 920 non-clocked
12gb ddr ram
HD 4890 Vapor-X
Asus p6te dlx v.2

DiceDuP
02-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I just installed Windows 7, installed a brand new ATI 5770, running on 32bit (for now) on a q6600 CPU. The game crashes endlessly for me in the quests around the first town. I have all up to date drivers for video, audio and all Windows updates available. I've tried running it in compatability modes and it still crashes when it wants to. Running out of ideas.

GoldenShadow
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I already beat this game. I am running an optimized high end system and this game just crashes non-stop. Yet, I just finished Bioshock 2 and STALKER Call of Pripyat each without a single problem. I just kept quicksaving all the freaking time.

anaplat45
02-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Well, anyways, I had a similar problem with the game crashing. I found it was entirely to do with overheating. I cleaned out the fans on my CPU and GPU and it never crashed after that. The Witcher is unusually processing intensive, apparently. Monitor your system temperatures if the game crashes, see if anything is too hot.

This was the same exact problem for me. It kept crashing 10 mins into playing. I reached down touched my card and it was HOT! I cleaned the fan from dust on my CPU and video and that did the trick.

Spork13
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Played it for a wek without a hitch - then BAM! Constant crashes. I'm talking start playing, couple of brief freezes within 1st 30 seconds - then "application has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution" message. No BSOD. No overheating of cpu (q6600 and q9650) or gpu (GeForce 9800GT) or MB (Foxconn Blackops).

Why would it work perfectly for almost a week then fail?

Wasted several days uninstalling, reinstalling, patching, playing prologue and act 1 again - only to have it start crashing again in act 2, if not sooner.

My comp. is stable enough for every other game I've tries, as well as Prime, Linx, Memtest+86...

Sometimes rolling back nVidia driver to earlier one helped. Sometimes using the latest one worked. Sometimes turning off Kapersky AV helped, sometimes leaving it running didn't matter. Removed TAGES as per witcher website troubleshooting, tried compatability mode and all the other crap thay said to do. In the end it's still a buggy PoS.
Who wantsd to spend more time installing a game, patching it, reading up on work arounds, tweaking their settings - just to get it to work properly for any length of time? Fhark that. I want to install it, set the optioms, and play. The end.
BTW, I had a retail DVD, not the Steam DL, so can't blame valve for the shortcomings in this game.

IOUT
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
I have the same problem. I never used to get crashes with this game and then all of a sudden I crash every 1 hr.

I go the the map and its black then I press escape and the menu is black and then crash. I have a thread about this in case anyone finds a solution. I want to beat this game before the second one comes out.

Whimper
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I found it was entirely to do with overheating. I cleaned out the fans on my CPU and GPU and it never crashed after that. The Witcher is unusually processing intensive, apparently.

I suspect that this might be the case with the crashes I've experienced. The game would run fine for awhile, but would crash after numerous GPU/CPU intensive scenes. My system can handle a lot of heavy games, but a Task Manager check showed that witcher.exe was using 100% of both my CPU cores, and over 1.5GB of my available RAM. I'm betting that my SLI GPUs were at their limits too.

Grayghost
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Played it for a wek without a hitch - then BAM! Constant crashes. I'm talking start playing, couple of brief freezes within 1st 30 seconds - then "application has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution" message. No BSOD. No overheating of cpu (q6600 and q9650) or gpu (GeForce 9800GT) or MB (Foxconn Blackops).

Why would it work perfectly for almost a week then fail?

Wasted several days uninstalling, reinstalling, patching, playing prologue and act 1 again - only to have it start crashing again in act 2, if not sooner.

My comp. is stable enough for every other game I've tries, as well as Prime, Linx, Memtest+86...

Sometimes rolling back nVidia driver to earlier one helped. Sometimes using the latest one worked. Sometimes turning off Kapersky AV helped, sometimes leaving it running didn't matter. Removed TAGES as per witcher website troubleshooting, tried compatability mode and all the other crap thay said to do. In the end it's still a buggy PoS.
Who wantsd to spend more time installing a game, patching it, reading up on work arounds, tweaking their settings - just to get it to work properly for any length of time? Fhark that. I want to install it, set the optioms, and play. The end.
BTW, I had a retail DVD, not the Steam DL, so can't blame valve for the shortcomings in this game.

Well, I've tried about everything to make it work but still crashes like hell. I could set it somehow it worked for 2 hours straight but can't find what was it again. I'm almost giving up on this game.

Faulting application name: witcher.exe, version: 1.5.0.1304, time stamp: 0x4910475c
Faulting module name: witcher.exe, version: 1.5.0.1304, time stamp: 0x4910475c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0030036e
Faulting process id: 0x17c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc741de1c72945
Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition\system\witcher.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition\system\witcher.exe
Report Id: ce9f554c-e011-11e0-a246-001fc6c98a5c

nicc
09-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Have you guys tried to downgrade the game config to low/minimum, disable aa, etc?

I had a problem @ chapter 3 and this helped me through the city, then a bit later I changed back to max and it went back to normal, w/o freezing.

Win7
HD6870
X4 955
8Gb DDR3 1333

soviet_sharkey
09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I could run perfectly 0 crashes or bugs till Act 4
now it crashes every 5 mins
EDIT: Fixed chapter 4 crashes now it ♥♥♥♥ing crashes at chapter 5
EDIT 2: The crashes have sorta stopped and only happen every 2 hours so I can put up with

exedor64
10-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Details of my particular issue:

The Witcher Directors Cut / Enhanced Edition purchased on Steam a few days ago.

So far i've spent more time reloading this game and seeking solutions, post-CTD, than I have spent actually playing it.

It seemed saving the game is causing the issue, either by Autosave (leaving/entering an area [house/region etc]) or quicksave (f5), in either scenario a 20% chance of CTD.

Several forums and pages listing The Witcher's problems for the past 3 or 4 years had suggested many different tweaks and changes, none of which seemed to work - in fact turning all video settings down to LOW actually caused the game to become less stable, now crashing at seemingly random points (rather than only at save points), when walking along roads or in the middle of battles, which was not happening prior to reducing video settings from max to low.

Symptoms:
Sometimes I find the map has gone black, with the location icons still visible. This did not happen often for me but for others it seemed to happen a lot, according to various forums.
There is a visible graphical stutter when a transition between areas prompts the loading screen, when a crash is imminent this stutter does not occur, presumably because the system is dumping ram and about to present you with your lovely desktop.

Attempted Solutions:
Compatibility mode (xp-sp3)
Set all video options to lowest quality
Remove Tages (this is apparently already done with this Steam Edition (1.5/DC))
Run as Administrator
Updated NVidia Drivers to latest for fx1800
* Attempted playing in a window - the "Ferryman" lost his body graphic and was only a floating head, 20 seconds after noticing that the game crashed.

Further Info:
After having many problems with various games CTDing with an ATI4870 O/C I've moved onto a HP Z400 Workstation with the standard fx1800, surprisingly there are generally very few problems with games, and the graphic quality is actually very good. So im at a bit of a loss as to why The Witcher constantly crashes.

After switching back to full quality graphics the game stopped randomly crashing but will still do so when saving games with the 20% chance of a CTD.

Is there a number of folk with WinXP experiencing the same issues? I'm considering installing XP to have this running under a virtual box or another partition. But I'd probably go insane if I went to that trouble to find it was precisely as it was with the win7 version.

I'm going to continue tweaking this game and if i find a solution to my particular issue i'll post it here.

Thanks.

[update]
Dropped resolution to 1600x1050, this staved off CTD for about an hour, then i noticed a single core maxed out in cpu (g15 cpu/ram display), map turned to black, at this point i thought i'd test quicksave as i suspected it would crash - which it did.

Will test 1280x now.
[update]
Same thing happened.

orgrune
10-09-2011, 03:33 PM
it crashed for me 3 times within an hour after installing it.

I removed anti-aliasing and upped the texture to max and havn't had a crash since, knock on wood.

I play in Windows 7 and my machine is good enough...

Axolen
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
What if your game is crashing before it even starts from steam. I click on it, its says preparing witcher: extended edition, then nothing happens and steams says i'm not playing any games anymore.

Ricochet_Saw
10-11-2011, 01:36 AM
o.O I've never had a crash on this game or any other game using the Aurora Engine...