PDA

View Full Version : Steam Overlay freezes borderlands

DGoldman
11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey all.

Just an issue when playing borderlands, trying to open up steam overlay while in game is pretty much impossible. The little menu at the bottom will pop up, but the game will freeze and the overlay won't actually open. If I don't touch it, it will just return to game after about 20-30 seconds. I don't have issues with the overlay on any other game (TF2, L4d, etc.)

Nobody else seems to have this problem...

XP Pro, SP 2
2x Dual Core AMD 285 2.61
8g RAM
nVidia 9800 GTX
14g open HDD (140g HDD)

Ideas?

DGoldman
11-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Bumpy bump.

DGoldman
11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Bump yeah!

I'd appreciate even a "stop that" or "spam" at this point.

Zombie Vampire
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I have no problems.

Try changing the key combo from shift+tab to a single key you would exclusively use for the overlay. I use the INS key :)

I did this because I noticed in games that used TAB for opening menus, the game would act like the menu was up, but it wasn't visible after closing the overlay and pressing tab again would just show the menu and give my look control back.

adrian783
11-06-2009, 10:48 PM
havent got a problem

R3tix
11-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I have no problems.

Try changing the key combo from shift+tab to a single key you would exclusively use for the overlay. I use the INS key :)

I did this because I noticed in games that used TAB for opening menus, the game would act like the menu was up, but it wasn't visible after closing the overlay and pressing tab again would just show the menu and give my look control back.

That would only work if you use CTRL+V and CTRL+C for copypasta instead of CTRL+INS and SHIFT+INS, but I understand what ur saying. I'd suggest using one of the Function keys since most of those have no use anyways

DGoldman
11-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I have no problems.

Tried this to no avail.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Tokyo_Zombie
11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe reload steam or your system? I know I had to do that once because a virus wanted to eat my face.

DGoldman
11-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe reload steam or your system? I know I had to do that once because a virus wanted to eat my face.

I'm not reformatting just for steam overlay on a single game. It's confined to borderlands alone so I'm guessing it's either the cause or just makes the problem very apparent. I'd do a reinstall but it took me nearly a day to download (woo college internet!). Again it's only borderlands, I don't have issues with the overlay on any other games.

jiminator
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
disable overlays in steam options. you can still alt-tab to chat if you have to. overlay however will screw up the alt-tab.

DGoldman
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
disable overlays in steam options. you can still alt-tab to chat if you have to. overlay however will screw up the alt-tab.

That screws up L4D and TF2, and also borderlands seems to dislike being alt-tabbed out of. It's an okay last-ditch option, but I'd rather the overlay work as intended..

DGoldman
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Bump the bump to the beat so funky

ms255
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder why it is only you having this problem. I've used the overlay several times without problems, as well as alt-tabbing it countless times to run it twice at once.

Try turning the overlay on the Borderlands main menu, as I have seen the overlay take a while to start up, and the menu will be taxing your system less.

DGoldman
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
It does sometimes open up on the main menu, but it still takes a ridiculous 10 second freeze + sometimes doesn't open. It's not generic system taxed lag, I can tell you that. Overlay on TF2 and L4D is flawless, no issues whatsoever. System runs pretty well otherwise.

ed: It is kind of weird that nobody else has this issue and that it doesn't transfer in any form to other games. My best guess would be something in the borderlands install that's messing with it, but I don't really want to leave my computer up for another 24h downloading another copy of a giant game.

DGoldman
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
And to the top again.

This is a really annoying problem. If someone wants to play with me, I can't talk with them without alt-tabbing, can't do anything without alt-tabbing.

DGoldman
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Once more. Any ideas? Nobody i've met has this issue. :|

neo-knifer
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I have had a similar problem to you.
When i use steam overlay ingame it freezes for the time period, then goes back do it again it freezed for about 10 seconds then the overlay will appear, you can do stuff there then try to close it it will take 10 seconds to go back.

This has happened to me for a while it does it with TF2 but not L4D.
I have found that installing the latest drivers will, for some reason, tempory fix this but goes back after a day or 2. Strange.

By the way im using XP home Service pack 2.

DGoldman
11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Didn't help, but at least I have new drivers.

:P

DGoldman
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Once more!

Roland Lock
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Check out programs that may be running in the background like Eviro, cyberlink, powerdvd and any other video or camera management type programs. It seems to be a solution for a fair few people to close these processes (using task manager) then try again.

memorythief
08-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a similar issue, When I first installed the game BL, it ran fine, i could use Steam overlay and xfire... But then the game got really unstable and started crashing left and right...
So I decided to do a few things like run it on one core, and that seemed to work for a bit but crashed again. So then I made it run as administrator on the BorderLands.exe on windows 7 and steam overlay is gone and won't work, but boarderlands works great. And now Xfire works, so even tho i miss some friends on steam, xfire is a great work around for the steam overlay fail in this particular game with that admin setting.

- not fixed but hope it helps some...

Ethan_Macmanus
08-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I've yet to have problems with borderlands related to alt-tabbing in windowed mode.

if you want that use either Alt-Enter or put -windowed in your launch properties for the game

Tweetbix
11-19-2010, 11:32 PM
This problem is also happening to me in CSS. today has been the first day it has happened for me and i havent changed anything since the last time apart from a small source engine update. i use a single key to open the steam overlay (F10 ironically) and have used that for the last year. this is only a small freeze when i open and exit the steam overlay in game and freezes for about 5 seconds. in that 5 seconds the game has frozen, steam overlay has not appeared and for some reason i can see the mouse arrow and move it.

ParadoxSalem
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Keep in mind that running an overlay eats up some minuscule amount of system resources. Or comparatively minuscule depending on your system.

If you're running XP, you may be running a lower end system, and that may be the explanation. The Source engine games don't count, as Valve made both the overlay and the game, and hence are 100% compatible. Other games, not so much. Jade Empire tends to crash with the overlay enabled, and Modern Warfare will get you kicked by Punkbuster for running the overlay.

What system specs are you running?