PDA

View Full Version : this laptop for christmas?

darth_vaizard
11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
the ASUS G51vx-RX05
http://www.asusrog.com/g51bb.html

I know its the best buy version but as you might have seen they are never available...

i am looking for something that will run anything from L4D to TF2 and maybe Crysis and my research has told me this laptop can do anything that may be on my games list.

any suggestions?
please no unrelated comments

lhwj
11-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice specs. It will do Source games very well; Crysis should be playable if you keep the settings down.

What is your budget if you're looking for other alternatives?

darth_vaizard
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
well i don't plan on buying it from best buy for obvious reasons when i can get a refurbished version for a better price.

if this runs as good as it says it will i wont need to upgrade. im so used to playing my games on the lowest and until recenly i got access to a newer computer and played l4d on max settings; this blew my mind like future shock. 0.o

the ram is upgradeable on this version i think and i don't really have a budget.

lhwj
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
This Sager's (http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=160092) pretty decent for gaming.

rolfi3
11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Crysis will be playable on ultra high with around 30 fps which is nice. I dont understand why you want such an enormous laptop though. It's heavier then an elephant and it looks like it came from outerspace. But if you want to attend lan partys every week i think this is a good deal.

NitrousX
11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Asus makes some pretty amazing laptops.

bsnx570
11-13-2009, 08:20 PM
How about this Gateway FX Laptop
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668358.php

I know its kindof expensive but it supposedly plays games very well. Plus it has two hard drives in raid 1 or zero, a really fast processor, and a GTX260m. I would really get this.

NJuice
11-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Crysis will be playable on ultra high with around 30 fps which is nice.

Definitely not.

A 260 can't do that, let alone the mobile variant which is slower than the desktop counterpart.

Bulletbrain7
11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Definitely not.

A 260 can't do that, let alone the mobile variant which is slower than the desktop counterpart.

I read a user's benchmark and they said on very high settings it reached 20 FPS, but I don't know if that was even DX10. I think it would do 30 FPS on high DX9.

NJuice
11-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I read a user's benchmark and they said on very high settings it reached 20 FPS, but I don't know if that was even DX10. I think it would do 30 FPS on high DX9.

V.High settings means DX10 (or edited the .ini files to make V.High available on DX9.

darth_vaizard
11-14-2009, 05:29 AM
srry guys nothing over $1200 :P kinda skimp on money

another question? will it ruun CoD:MW2?

Bulletbrain7
11-14-2009, 06:19 AM
V.High settings means DX10 (or edited the .ini files to make V.High available on DX9.

This (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=392176) was the benchmark I was referring to.

That person in his G51VX-RX05 review wrote:

Benchmark and System Temps

"Here as some of the testing I have done using Crysis GPU benchmark, 3dMark 06 Pro 1.1.0, HwMonitor, CPUz, and SetFSB ( pll - ICS9LPR604AGLF ).

Crysis @ Full RES. and Very High Specs running everything stock getting avg 20 fps: [picture]"

I just glanced at what he wrote and said:

"I read a user's benchmark and they said on very high settings it reached 20 FPS, but I don't know if that was even DX10. I think it would do 30 FPS on high DX9."

But that was a pretty good guess. Because:

Crysis Tweak Guide
[Page 5] In-Game Settings (http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_5.html)

DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 10

By default, when you run Crysis in Windows Vista on DX10-capable hardware, it will automatically run in DirectX10 mode, whereas Windows XP can only run in DirectX9 mode. You can see what mode the game is running in at any time by using the r_DisplayInfo 1 command. While you can't force DX10 in XP, you can force DX9 mode in Vista, and this can provide a significant performance improvement for a barely-noticeable decline in image quality. To do this, right-click on the Crysis launch icon in Vista's Games Explorer and select 'PlayDX9 ', or right-click on the game's desktop launch icon, select Properties, and in the Target box one blank space after the last character add -dx9.

Most people are wondering what the difference between DX9 and DX10 actually is. In practice the three main differences are:

1. You cannot access 'Very High' mode in DX9 by default.

2. There are more subtle shader effects in DX10 mode.

3. There are some DX10-only command variables, e.g. r_UseGSParticles, d3d10_CBUpdateMethod.

Fortunately, on the first count, you can force Very High mode in XP DX9 using some .cfg editing - see the last page of this guide for detailed instructions on how to do this. On the second count, the most obvious difference I've seen is in the way in which motion blurring is more detailed in DX10 by default - for example when throwing a grenade, or moving your rifle quickly, your arm and weapon are blurred in DX10 mode; using the exact same motion blurring setting (r_MotionBlur=3) in DX9, there is no such additional blurring. However you can use the r_MotionBlur=5 setting in DX9 mode to get a similar though slightly less subtle effect. Finally, in my testing I haven't found any DX10-specific variable that actually makes a significant difference to the game at the moment.

Thus for the most part the visual difference between DX10 and DX9 is not major enough to worry about, especially considering the performance hit of running in DX10 mode is quite significant. On balance, for the moment I would strongly recommend that if given the option, you run in DX9 mode given how system-intensive Crysis is, as on my 8800GTS 640MB for example, it provides a good 10-20% performance boost and feels much more responsive. Above are some screenshots taken at the same scene, with XP DX9 Very High mode vs. Vista DX10 Very High mode, and as you can see for most intents and purposes they're almost identical in appearance. Again, there appear to be subtle shader differences that no screenshot can capture, such as the difference in motion blurring and depth of field, but it's nothing of any real significance, and can be recreated using appropriate advanced tweaks.

Update: Note that in recent months, both after the release of the 1.2 Patch for Crysis, the release of Service Pack 1 for Vista, and graphics driver improvements, the performance difference between Crysis DX9 and DX10 mode is not as major as it once was.

I really don't know what you are trying to say about what I wrote. I was talking about Vista not XP. But also, I don't understand you because of your grammar as well?:

"V.High settings means DX10 (or edited the .ini files to make V.High available on DX9."

But the user in the benchmark review I posted was using G51VX-RX05 with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. He said that he was using stock settings with full resolution. Since he was running Vista, and he provided a screen shot of his benchmark I concluded that he was running Crysis in DX10. Since Vista 64 with DX10 @1366 x 768 was giving him 20 FPS, I estimated that if he dropped to "high" settings while still in DX10 with Vista he would get an average of 30 FPS.

I think you might be saying that if he was in DX9 under Vista (or XP?) that he could get 30 FPS. I suppose he could. But I was just guessing that he could get 30FPS under DX10 on high as opposed to what the rolfi3 was saying:

Quote=rolfi3 Crysis will be playable on ultra high with around 30 fps which is nice.

I assumed that rolfi3 meant DX10 and not DX9 because he said "ultra high." I didn't agree so I went looking for a benchmark on this 260M equipped laptop to back me up. Which I found.

The 260M is (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260M.14559.0.html) "somewhat similar to the 9800 GT" and I don't think that a 9800 GT can run Crysis at 30 FPS with very high settings under DX10. I think it would struggle and you would have to drop it down to high or as I originally said drop it to DX9.

My comment would have made a lot more sense if I actually had bothered to check if the benchmark was referring to DX9 or DX10. I was just making assumptions.

Of course, a lot of people think that the game looks just as good under DX9 with very high settings as opposed to DX10.