PDA

View Full Version : MW2 Freezes at Launch

MaianTrey
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I've read the sticky at the top, done everything it suggests, and nothing has changed. I cannot do anything in the game, as it freezes in the middle of the IW Logo animation (when I launch the Singleplayer part) and just freezes as soon as the main menu pops up for the Multiplayer part.

I've updated drivers to the latest, I've reinstalled twice, I've verified the game cache about 4 times, I've disabled all extra processes and restarted the computer, my audio drivers are up to date, etc.

Every time I verify the game cache, though, there's always one file that Steam supposedly needs to download. It says "Steam has finished downloading Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2" but if I verify the game cache again, it still says "one file could not be verified..."

My system should have zero problem running it:

Core i7 920
GTX 260
6GB DDR3 1600 Patriot Viper
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

My video card temps and CPU temps are perfectly fine (40s idle, 60s load).

What could possibly be the reason for the freezing?

Blindside97
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
the only thing i can tell you is to go to your config_mp.cfg file and ensure your settings are correct

try setting seta r_fullscreen "1" to "0"

see if your game starts in window mode

MaianTrey
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
It starts in window mode, but still freezes.

EDIT: Also, I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate x64

MaianTrey
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
So I imagine there's no known fix for this? Even Activision Support is perplexed by this. It's definitely not driver issues, I've reformatted my computer, and switched to an ATI 4830 (my GTX 260 started artifacting). I used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all traces of the Nvidia drivers (yes, I did it in safe mode about 4 times).

xMaffish
11-23-2009, 12:41 PM
As I can understand, I have the same problem, or close one. Nothing wrong with SP or SO, but when launching MP as the menu shows up, the game freezes. And I have solution for that...wait exactly one minute. Using stopwatch, after ~1 min the game unfreezes and work just fine. I couldn't fix it better, got the latest drivers for everything, reinstalled the game, steam and nothing...just that one min waiting helps.
I hope You have the same prob and that "fix" will let YOu play.

MaianTrey
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Yea, except I have to wait about 5 minutes. But, that's the way I've been doing it since I posted the topic originally. Was just curious if there was a fix to remove the freezing and wait altogether. Someone else mentioned opening their NAT did it, but the apartment complex I live at supplies the internet (fiber optics - 60Mb/s down, 40Mb/s up) so I don't have access to a router to do that.

ChemicalFyre
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Have you looked into your sound device as a potential issue? Reading back it doesn't look like you've considered that as of yet. if you haven't done so already, Update your sound device drivers as well.

For a quick determination, you can always disable (NOT UNINSTALL) your sound device under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager.

Just a thought.

MaianTrey
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I haven't tried disabling, but I have installed the latest drivers for it, both before I reformatted, and afterwards. I thought my PCI audio card might've been the issue, so I uninstalled it and removed it and went with the onboard sound, but the problem persisted (did that before I reformatted).

Jinzo.pk3
12-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Has anyone made any progress on this issue?
I have tried pretty much everything:
formatting my computer (from Vista x64 to Win7 x64),
installing a different graphics card,
reinstalling both steam and mw2 several times,
closing all non essential programs and services.
It seems like the time for which it pauses varies continuously.
My machine isnt the problem here either: Q9550, GTX295, Intel SSD, Fibre internet.
I don't have the problem of one file having to download again each time however, most strange I also copied all of the files from my friends working copy and I get the same problem.

Sowster
12-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Has anyone made any progress on this issue?
I have tried pretty much everything:
formatting my computer (from Vista x64 to Win7 x64),
installing a different graphics card,
reinstalling both steam and mw2 several times,
closing all non essential programs and services.
It seems like the time for which it pauses varies continuously.
My machine isnt the problem here either: Q9550, GTX295, Intel SSD, Fibre internet.
I don't have the problem of one file having to download again each time however, most strange I also copied all of the files from my friends working copy and I get the same problem.

Hi,

Try turning off UAC (User Account Control) reboot and see if it helps.

Also from your steam, highlight modern warfare 2 (SP or MP) go to properties > Local files > verify integrity of game cache.

I had the same problem as you, and that fixed them.

Good luck!

Whups
12-05-2009, 01:32 AM
http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php?story=Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Errors

maniek
12-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Nothing works for me from your link Whups :(
I've tried everything and still nothing. Game freeze after launch for 2 minutes. After this 2 minutes works fine, but this is annoying for me.

Jinzo.pk3
12-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Yeah I've already tried both of those Sowster and Whups.
Originally it was working perfectly fine but just started doing this quite randomly. Also now, perhaps in my stuffing around trying to get it to stop doing this, it has somewhat degraded in performance, now I'm getting occasional bursts of unplayable frame rates.
Just downloaded the entire game again fresh and is exactly the same, think I'll format to get rid of this stupid: only using one cpu core, that I have going on with it now, dont want to set affinity to 4 cores every time I run the game.

Sigh.
Seriously I have no idea whats going on, I'll keep trying everything I can think of to get it going.

Jinzo.pk3
12-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Adding a firewall rule to block port 2869 on TCP seems to fix it.

supaman87
12-06-2009, 03:14 AM
I have posted a fix that works for me. Look for fix to freezing it might help

Whups
12-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Reformat if nothing else works and you don't have anything on your computer that you really need.

supereprelude
12-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Disable uPnP in router solved this.

Jinzo.pk3
12-06-2009, 05:09 AM
superman: thats more of a work around, my solution seems to work without having to stuff around at all
Whups: I said that I did that in my first post, and I did it once more since already
supereprelude: I live at a University, since my internet it provided by them I don't really have access to the routers in that way

supaman87
12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
that whole changing the screen to window mode doesnt work most of the things you find wont work they need a patch. you can try this link though it might help http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052439

Schoogs
05-04-2010, 03:37 AM
I've read the sticky at the top, done everything it suggests, and nothing has changed. I cannot do anything in the game, as it freezes in the middle of the IW Logo animation (when I launch the Singleplayer part) and just freezes as soon as the main menu pops up for the Multiplayer part.

I've updated drivers to the latest, I've reinstalled twice, I've verified the game cache about 4 times, I've disabled all extra processes and restarted the computer, my audio drivers are up to date, etc.

Every time I verify the game cache, though, there's always one file that Steam supposedly needs to download. It says "Steam has finished downloading Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2" but if I verify the game cache again, it still says "one file could not be verified..."

My system should have zero problem running it:

Core i7 920
GTX 260
6GB DDR3 1600 Patriot Viper
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

My video card temps and CPU temps are perfectly fine (40s idle, 60s load).

What could possibly be the reason for the freezing?

Oh no!! Do i see patriot viper 1600's ? :(

Firstly, my rig as follows
i7 920 slightly overclocked
pat vip 1600 6gb
xfx 4850 (as a fill in for now) :)
asus xonar d2x
i thought it might also be worth noting, velociraptor 300gb

I have the same problem as you but ts more like just jerky at start up for bout 20 seconds, then fine, but then durng gameplay every couple of mins or so it will just freeze for about 4 seconds, give or take, then free up again in which time i usually get ganked by some passerbyer. Now i have pinned it down to two things.
1) Vista: Everyone knows vista is a dog of an operating system,i also have vista 64 and it seems since i downgraded to it from win7 because of driver issues this problem started happpening.
2) Memory. More than likely i tihnk its to do with the memory more than anything but possibly a mix of both mem and op system... From what i understand (based upon my limited knowledge) is that vista likes to cache all of you avail mem to possibly load the more commonly used programs and processes quicker. Win 7 also does this but more efficiently than vista from what i have been told. Now when you go to load something big like MW2 it has to swap the memory loaded onto the RAM for what you actually want to use which is the mw2 program. For some reason the patriot mem doesnt seem to like this and as a result will shutter etc, like it has been for both me and you.

Also from experience this has happened with a few games in the main menu upon startup, red fac guerilla, l4d2 and warhammer 40k (not as much).

I will also note that once i overclocked the cpu and cleared the usual ♥♥♥♥ off my hdd that this problem very very slightly lessened but didnt go away.

B?ASICALLY im concluding that i think its a mix of the memory and OS or mayb the memory is somewhat faulty. If possible try anyther dimm module. Sorry thats the best i can give ya atm, ill try another module and let u know how it goes...

TheAftermath
05-04-2010, 04:48 AM
..Grr.. every time I take "care" of it the lag on start up returns.
it is NOT a driuver issue. Its not a game installation issue.
I have new ram , My OS is fine.
and every other game works flawless.
This issue is a MW2 problem.
and IW i bet is at a loss.
jerks.

littledo
08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm running win7/64 with two wifi adapters: one internal 802.11g and one external usb 802.11n. MW2 started freezing when I replaced my usb wifi adapter because my old one would only run at 65Mbps. When I replaced the adapter, two things happened:
1. My virtual wifi adapter (which is associated with my internal adapter) became disabled;
2. MW2 started freezing.

Obviously, the freezing was related to my wifi/internet. I only play single-player, the problem was not with the game, but is related to steam.

I had to do two things to get MW2 working again:
1. Disable my slow internal wifi adapter;
2. ReEnable my virtual wifi adapter. To do this, I started a command/DOS commandline, and typed:"netsh wlan start hostednetwork" (without the quotes).

Now the game is working normally. Unfortunately, this will probably only work with win7.