PDA

View Full Version : One Server, Multiple IPs?

HeX314
07-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Does anyone here have any experience trying to set up one server to listen to two different IPs either on the same network adapter (through ifconfig) or on two different network adapters? I fiddled with ifconfig, and I can't get the CS server to listen to the second (virtual) IP address, and I want to know if adding a second network card to the server would fix this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Agent HeX

HeX314
07-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Mods/devs probably know best. Help, plz.

JustGags
07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Yo, it's called IP Aliasing.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Alias/

HeX314
07-11-2004, 11:33 PM
The question isn't really how do I alias the main IP to another. I'm having problems getting a CS server to respond to requests on both addresses. Is there a way I can make a CS server recognize that it has two IP addresses?

counternube
07-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Maybe if you let us in on what your trying to do with two addresses we can help. If your trying to use two internet connections you will have difficulty getting a single server instance to use both due to inbound internet routing, regardless of how you mangle packets using NAT.

NickCatal
07-12-2004, 02:27 AM
No, there is no reasonable way of having 1 CS server have 2 IPs. You can have 2 CS servers have 1 IP (different ports) or 2 CS servers over 2 IPs (one per IP), but you can't have 1 over 2. It just isn't going to happen.

Why are you trying to do this?