PDA

View Full Version : How to disable crosshairs//increase FOV

Packersfan30_3
11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi, I've seen a lot of people ask this question when the game first came out, and no one had a proper response. I played the campaign through with the default settings, and it felt lacking to say the least. The vision was weird, I had to constantly turn my head to see things that should be in the corner of my eye, and those pesky crosshairs got in the way.

Well, never fear!!! Here's a quick, easy solution.

For crosshairs gone:
1. Go to Modern Warfare 2 main directory.
2. Click on folder "Players"
3. Open "config.cfg"
4. Under...

// generated by Infinity Ward, do not modify
unbindall

... add these lines...

set cg_crosshairAlpha "0"
set cg_crosshairAlphaMin "0"
set cg_crosshairDynamic "0"

... to eliminate crosshairs.

5. Set the file to read only; right click on the .cfg, select properties, and check the box that says "read-only." Congrats. You just fixed the crappy default FOV.

For different FOV:
1. Go to Modern Warfare 2 main directory.
2. Click on folder "Players"
3. Open "config.cfg"
4. Enable developer/cheat mode. To do this enter...

set developer "1"
set sv_cheats "1"
set thereisacow "1337"

...below the previously mentioned "unbindall" section. I personally put it after the crosshairs fixes.

5. Now bind any keys you wish to different FOVs. I personally put it at the end of the regular binds, but it should be okay anywhere...

bind P "cg_fov 85"
bind O "cg_fov 80"
Bind I "cg_fov 65"

... I usually use 80, and have 65 there (the standard FOV, I know right?) just in case.

6. Set the file to read only; right click on the .cfg, select properties, and check the box that says "read-only." Congrats. You just eliminated crosshairs.

Some general notes:
-You cannot continue your game when you use this option. That means if you're reading this while in mid level, you'll have to finish the level and enable it or start over again. Continue your game by selecting your last mission from the mission select screen. I've heard starting a new game might work as well, but mission select is the big point here.
-With the FOV option, sometimes weird developer messages appear. It's okay, it shouldn't happen often and they aren't long strands of information.

Fixed! Credit to Frankie-Z for the fix.

Change...

seta con_errormessagetime "8"

to...

seta con_errormessagetime "0"

-The game is about 10x more immersive with a proper FOV and no crosshairs.
-Enjoy!

Sir
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
// generated by Infinity Ward, do not modify

Pfffft....

Redfyre
11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Pfffft....

Believe it or not, if you take out that one line in the code, Dedicated server support will magically appear as well as the lean feature and the console will be active.

Packersfan30_3
11-23-2009, 08:11 PM
...and the console will be active.

I mean if you really want it I could post a link, but I might get in trouble :/

Let's leave that one to the google search, shall we ;).

Redfyre
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I mean if you really want it I could post a link, but I might get in trouble :/

Let's leave that one to the google search, shall we ;).

Let Me Google That For You ;)
LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=access+modern+warfare+2+console)

Frankie-Z
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
to remove error messages

edit:

to

ziggo0
11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
good thing this works in MP

FIRST-BLOOD
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I WISH I COULD FIND WHERE YOU SEE THESE THINGS IN THE CFG FILE SO I COULD CHANGE THEM ....IT WAS SO EASY WITH THE CONSOLE BEFORE.....HIT CG_FOV CHANGE TO WHAT EVER YOU WANTED HIT ENTER DONE!!!!

Packersfan30_3
11-24-2009, 08:16 AM
to remove error messages

edit:

to

Haha, even better. Edited the original post with credit to you.

hooligan)(uk
11-24-2009, 09:17 AM
setting sv_cheats 1 is a bit iffy innit.

Im desperate to change the FOV,but Im not williing to risk my steam account just for this stupid game.

So will it get ya banned in a couple weeks or not??

THE Nakedgun
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Im desperate to change the FOV,but Im not williing to risk my steam account just for this stupid game.

Its only for the single player.

You could probably alias the FOV onto one key, does it use the same format as Quake3?

I think this is right.

set zoomin "cg_fov 65; bind p vstr zoom1"
set zoom1 "cg_fov 80; bind p vstr zoom2"
set zoom2 "cg_fov 85;bind p vstr zoomin"

krameriffic
11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

LOL. Every single VAC-protected game on Steam has a command akin to sv_cheats. It's up to server administrators whether to turn it on in games that actually have dedicated servers and access to the console. In the case of MW2, it's another meaningless command that cannot be added to the config_mp file without causing the game to blow up.

HaakonXCI
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
This game is different though, I would just like an official response about doing this and not getting VAC banned for enabling the console this way and changing things around.

Packersfan30_3
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
This isn't changing the config_mp.cfg that alters the multiplayer configuration. This only changes singeplayer. You won't get vac banned.

Pythagoras
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I tried just the crosshair bit, and started a new game, but the crosshairs are still there. I added the 3 lines to the config.cfg then made it read only. Anything else I'm missing?

Mastershroom
04-14-2010, 11:51 PM
God knows Infinity Ward probably patched out such an "exploit" in the months since this was published.