PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Sale - should YOU buy Zeno Clash?

fakiyo
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
ALSO FITS FOR XMAS SALE!

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan who bought ZC the second it came aviable, and as this game is a very strange and habit breaking game, I want to evaluate it a bit for you.

Why should you NOT buy Zeno Clash?

- If you only like one type of games, f.i. simple and easy straight forward shooters with lots of weapons like CS or BF, this game is not for you. Why?
Because you have a few (sick and baffling) weapons, however, this is a close combat game. This means, fighting melee is the intended way and far more effective than the guns, those are more for backup reasons or intro / outro purposes to start or finish an enemy. Means: shooting will only be VITAL on a handful of occasions (shoot enemies down ledges, keep them off your back), however, 80% of your fighting time will be melee.

- If you only like "standard" games. If you don't want experiments with games, this game is not for you. The story (telling), the atmosphere, the world, the weapons, the charakter, graphical and art style is so off that if you INSIST on realism, you're clearly wrong here. This game plays in a weird fantasy world you never saw before (and I'm not talking about "WoW Elves, Orc and Dward" Fantasy, I mean bizarre and off fantasy, a mix up between dream world and chaos.

- If you're used to perfect voice acting from high price titles and can't stand voice acting that has minor bloopers, you should stick to other games. ZC has decent voice acting, however there are a handful of moments where you might think "Mhh, this is indie voice acting". It's not perfect, but not bad. It's not horrible, but not awesome. As said, you might notice it a handful of times, but the important voices are very, very well made and the rest of the sound (music [woah] and sound effects) are gorgeous.

Why SHOULD you buy Zeno Clash?

- This game is rule breaking in any way. The story is off and bizarre. The world is like dream and influence of drugs, or your weirdest imagination.

- The combat system is innovative. You will fight fist to eye, you will smash your knee in stunned opponents, you will throw enemies at each other. You have to dodge attacks, stun enemies to grab and throw them, block hits, and make kick and hit combos to get your enemies down.

- The weapons are cool: Tired of M4 and nade launcher? How about fish pistols? Self made rifles, skull bombs, crossbows out of bones shooting skulls, boneclubs...

- The atmosphere is creepy yet addictive, beautiful astonishing and sick at the same time. The charakters are weird and fearsome yet funny and charming. Tired of cliches? This game clearly won't bore you with such stuff.

- You don't trash your way through hundreds of the same clone enemies. Each enemy is its own persona and you have to use a lot of different tactics to bring them down.

- The storytelling is new. Sick of always the same story? Aliens invade earth? A hero must save the world? Kill the evil? How boring! Zeno Clash offers you a story worth telling, an interesting twist of fate, flashbacks and unexpected outcomes.

- The price is low: This game is well worth 15 bucks...

- Achievements: If you like achievements, this title has a very good mix of easy pie achievements (complete the game) and hard achievements, so you'll have fun even after you fnished the game.

- The devs are indie: This is the first title from ACE team, and got many awards for artstyle and indie prices.

- Free DLC. This game got 2 DLC packs for free offering towerfighting, achievements and leaderbords - fight up the tower or down the pit and beat your friends.

- Additional to the DLC (or as part of it) you get REALLY awesome models for GARRYS MOD.

- The system requirements are low, yet the art style is amazing and beautiful to look at.

- The soundtrack is amazing and gives this game the real touch towards the perfect atmosphere, fitting visual style and charakters.

Summary: For this price cut, you can actually look over ANYTHING that would hinder you buying this title. If you're interested in a new gaming experience which WILL stick to your mind in more than a few ways, you won't regret this deal price. :)

So, if you like to try a charming indie shooter which sticks in your memory for years, with a art, combat, sound, and play style that searches anything in comparison, you're good with Zeno Clash.

Rell109
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I just bought the game, had my eye on it ever since the first DLC. Glad I waited. The demo was really entertaining.

ZekkDistor
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Gah, already bought way too many games the past few days, but well, now that I've read your excellent-made points, I can't pass it up :)

OptimusHun
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the review, fakiyo. Now I'm know it's my game.:cool:

fakiyo
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I added one more contra point, to be fair about the voice acting. Actually it's a so-so point.

KSMF
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
IGN Review says yes to buy it :)
http://pc.ign.com/articles/976/976395p1.html

fakiyo
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Screw IGN, what I say is important!

BUY THIS AWESOME GAME :D

Tokyo_Zombie
12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I gotta say I did not think this game was going to be good but I like it. It is really freaking weird though haha good buy though everyone should get it.

Nor
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Screw IGN, what I say is important!

BUY THIS AWESOME GAME :D

I agree more with Fakiyo's review :) and YES BUY IT NOW!

Loki-doki
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Great review, sounds well worth the current asking price. Cheers.

RokkaMan
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm not buying it, no matter what you say...

...as I already own it. :p

confid3nt
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I dont know. The images feel *dirty*, and that's only my concern... apart from melee attack. Dunno if it's really interesting when all you can do is melee.

Will try demo as soon as I got home.

B3RS3RK
12-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont know what it is but I cant withstand from Games under 5 Euro that I just even MIGHT Like.I saw some Vids of ZC before(A few months ago) and I wanted to buy it but it wasn´t worth that much money to me.But as soon as it hits the <5 Bucks I just need to buy stuff :D

So, Bought it...Downloading right now.

Kinetik16
12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Would like to express my excitement for this deal, i was looking forward to getting Zeno Clash recently at its usual £12 but when i saw this deal for less than £4 it was an automatic purchase.

Looking forward to playing this indie game, so much positive buzz.

For some extra reading Rock,Paper,Shotgun have started their christmas countdown with a Zeno Clash article

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/12/01/the-games-of-christmas-december-1st/

spyrochaete
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Buy this game. Period. It rules.

avidwriter
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I bought it after I played the demo and figured it was worth at least the $5.10. Curious though since I never downloaded a game from Steam with DLC before. Unless L4D1 counts but I assume it will just download the "3 extra levels" that were mentioned and I won't have to go looking for them? :D

Dorianvd
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
@Fakiyo: Well sir, you've convinced me. :)

merk23
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
buy the game. you will not regret it.

mriguy
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Well written fakiyo, thanks for the insight. +rep

The past free DLC really seals the deal. I always want to support a developer that cares enough about their customers to continue to improve a product.

I just hope this game does not cause me to have disturbing dreams.

kouji
12-01-2009, 10:40 PM
bought it just for gmod. nice price though

edub77
12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I was waiting for a sale and it finally happened! Thanks Ace Team!

fakiyo
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback (and rep) guys, I hope anyone buying it will enjoy this title as much as I did :)

MyLittleBirdy
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I was iffy on buying it and considered it when it first came out but spent my money on other things. Thought i'd try it out now seeing as its so cheap and im ashamed that I didn't pay full price for it. It's actually brilliant. Best imagined world I've played in since Oddworld I think. Really inventive and interesting and charming. Would definately recommend this to someone looking for something good to play.

GamerTrogam
12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
As soon as I saw that it was 66% off, I snagged it. Its different, its indie, its mildly insane. Love it.
And yeah, 5.10 made the game an instant purchase.

edub77
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
its mildly insane.

Mildly insane? I think its a little more crazy than that :p

DorianGrey505
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
im interested in this game, but the lack of multiplayer makes me wonder, if i would play it much...

has anyone heard of the posibility of a multiplayer DLC or update or something of the sort?

edub77
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
im interested in this game, but the lack of multiplayer makes me wonder, if i would play it much...

has anyone heard of the posibility of a multiplayer DLC or update or something of the sort?

I believe co-op will be available for the tower challenges sometime next year. Most likely after the Xbox360 version is released.

*VeLeRoN*
12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

If you like the game (there is a demo, you know...), you'll have more than 10 hours of gameplay (+ future DLC). If it's not your cup of tea... well. I spent $50 on Mirror's Edge and while it was an interesting concept, I couldn't get into it, so played it for 2 hours and gave up. No regrets though.

It depends, but seriously, for this price - it's a steal!!

DorianGrey505
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
ok, i just bought the game... the mirror's edge analogy got me going, i bought mirror's edge for the same money, and i do love that game even if its short and has no multiplayer.

Clayman66
12-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Before this midweek deal I was in two minds whether to get it or not; being short of money means I tend to lean toward multiplayer games due to their (usually) higher replay value. However, I played the demo of this and the result was something along the lines of "OMGWTFBBQ this is the dogs bollox!". A day later and a price break, and its miiiiinnnnnneeee.

Best £3.82 ive spent in ages.

Epic win, looking forward to the devs next release :D

Robofire
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
All right, you convinced me.

Killn4Christ
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
These good deals are awesome thanks steam. The demo payed off for Ace. Picked it up.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
The art style scares me. I can't tell if its cool, or its going to make my hair turn grey far too early in my life.

But its a Source game and I love anything Source. I tried the demo... but I'm not sure!!!

I've heard its 10 hours in length? For 5 bucks I could waste on coffee... I think ... I'll go for it...

Wait, when does the sell end?

Aetius
12-03-2009, 03:48 AM
The art style scares me. I can't tell if its cool, or its going to make my hair turn grey far too early in my life.

But its a Source game and I love anything Source. I tried the demo... but I'm not sure!!!

I've heard its 10 hours in length? For 5 bucks I could waste on coffee... I think ... I'll go for it...

Wait, when does the sell end?

If it's 10 hours I'm getting it, but i've heard it's actually short. That will be the deciding factor for me.

How cool would online play be. Awesome fist fights...

kyiori
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I played a little bit yesterday after installing it, and it's pretty funny. Loved the voice of the trainer in the opening sequence. The fighting reaction is pretty over the top and fun too. It looks like it's going to be a good $5.10 spent.

Length doesn't matter too much to me, since I have too much of a backlog. In fact, ~10 hours or less is great for me, as long as the experience is fun. Batman fits this category.

fakiyo
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, last minutes to get it. Buy before you regret it ;)

But well, it's worth the full price anyway.

PurpleHaz3
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
You have also convinced me to pick up the game. This game will be insane, even more so when I add a little "green" to the mix ;).

HappyHour94
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I bought this game for 5 bucks, loved the art. Only down side is, its really short. LIke, under 3 hours short. Still worth it.

edub77
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Despite the game's length, there are Tower and Pit challenges (which are really challenging) as well as achievements which add extra re-playability.

Then there is the model pack for those G-modders out there as well as future DLC.

So for 5 bucks and a dime, this game has plenty of value :cool:

vjf3000
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
i recommend this game to everybody. the melee standard combats are great and the story keeps on getting better and better as the story moves on.

great game!:D

fakiyo
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Place 3 on best sellers, awesome.

If you missed the deal, let me say it is well worth the original price :)

postmanmanman
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I've been around since the pre-order days, so I couldn't take advantage of this outrageous sale for myself.

So I bought it for my friend.

GeneSIS^
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
how long is this game? about 5h or more?
or is this even longer?

fakiyo
12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
5-8 hours, depending on your playstyle.
You also have the Garrys Mod models, (if you own GM) and the tower / pit challenges / leaderbords and you might replay it for a second try and achievements.

So if you let the game amaze you, you get 20+ hours out of it.

Anyways it is still worth the money, though it's at its original price again. :)

fakiyo
12-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Just a general question from me, will there be any new DLC for Zeno Clash? Id love a load more pit and tower challenges. Id also like some sort of arena where you and team mates fight another team.
A dev should reply within this week, they're very active and fast here :)

But I *THINK* they are actually doing ZC2 ...

cbordeu
12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
A dev should reply within this week, they're very active and fast here :)

But I *THINK* they are actually doing ZC2 ...

:rolleyes: ...:p

Ermmm... Our current focus is on the XBLA version of the game + other stuff.

There might be more DLC for the game, but I am unable to confirm this now.

mehmet_can
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I bought this game because of this thread and the price drop.

BUT,
It worths the full price. Imho, it's a very nice game.
thanks to devs and the original poster of this thread.

fakiyo
12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes: ...:p

Ermmm... Our current focus is on the XBLA version of the game + other stuff.

There might be more DLC for the game, but I am unable to confirm this now.

So how far are you with that, and what influences what comes next?

Also, tell me more :p Haha.

cbordeu
12-09-2009, 03:46 AM
So how far are you with that, and what influences what comes next?

Also, tell me more :p Haha.

XBLA version is currently scheduled for a March release.

... and that's all I can say... ;)

bigcow200
12-09-2009, 03:56 AM
is it possible pc players can get coop?

fakiyo
12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
XBLA version is currently scheduled for a March release.

... and that's all I can say... ;)

Well seeing the combat system this actually is a worthy port for the consoles and I hope you get your money worth outta it and won't be ripped of from some greedy publishers (I'm looking at you, EA!)

Ah no, publishers were that TWI guys or only for PC retail?

Also: No coop, only leaderbords and tower/pit challenges :)

cbordeu
12-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Ah no, publishers were that TWI guys or only for PC retail?

Tripwire is publishing US retail
Atlus is publishing the XBLA version

fakiyo
12-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Bump for Xmas sale.

fAk3
12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I am about to buy it.

Are the rumors about a possible Multyplayer DLC coming out attendable?
I just found and article about a XBOX360 DLC that might have coop

Thanks

LTK
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition will be released for the xbox and will have co-op. Makes me wish I had an xbox, but the original version is completely awesome on its own.

And it's still discounted, holy crap! For €6/$6, there is really no reason not to get this game.

fAk3
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition will be released for the xbox and will have co-op. Makes me wish I had an xbox, but the original version is completely awesome on its own.

And it's still discounted, holy crap! For €6/$6, there is really no reason not to get this game.

Yeah i bought it. Very awesome game. Stunning. Unique...
I wish it was a bit loger and Oxameter didnt die. ;)

fakiyo
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the reps guys ;)

edub77
06-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Since the game is back on sale, I thought this thread deserved a bump ;)

It's only $7.49!

owneador
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
i haved buyed this game today
its very good but
the requierements are highly
i can play all othjer source games
except l4d2 and zenoclash
i only got 25 fps :S tf2 i got 50 fps

fakiyo
01-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Bumping this thread because it fits :)

Hope ACE's work gets forward, new year greetings!

basti51
01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I played through this game ONCE at a friends PC (story) when it came out.

Is it worth experiencing it now again? Is the DLC pack Big and does it feature new Story parts?!

fakiyo
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
The DLC is only leaderbord challenges.
Battle up the tower or down the pit.

If you played through it:
like the story, want it again? Buy it, its cheap.
If you didnt play through it / buy it.

If you only want to play through it once and saw enough at your friends leave it if you must.

I'm biased...

held
01-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Played the demo again and bought it. Little support to the indie devs! :)

bobsbarricades
01-02-2011, 06:53 AM
My brother bought this for me yesterday and we spent a couple hours beating it because we were really impressed with it's hilarity and art (great sound track). It really felt like a Terry Gilliam game to me which is a big compliment.

But.... Man you guys are masochists. Beating people up and learning the excellent fighting system wasn't really too challenging. I assume that's why the debs started to just add ridiculous and unfun parts to the game?

The ally outside of mother father glitches and the sniper from the first round didn't show up till the second....I assure you this makes it impossible to beat. I don care, nor want to see, someone come in here and say we just suck....ummm....maybe compared to vets than have been playing for a really long time....we just bought it. After we stopped having fun in the ally we restarted from the beginning of the ally and could properly dispose of the first sniper.

It was completely downhill from there. Fighting the mercenary,.....again? (side note.... Waaaaaaaaaay too much repeated fights between the same freakin people) with a crappy weapon that takes off freaking slivers of life so it takes you 10 minutes of lame to shoot his squirrels and bring his health low enough that he starts to throw MORE squirrels and they stop using thei parachute 2 meters off the ground. There goes your system...waste more time and eventually die a hundred times. Having fun?

Not yet? Well here, fight more people you've already fought at least twice before...then fight father mother again...but this time were gonna add all her children too!! Yay[/CODE]!!

...... This game had so much potential, and it executed a lot, of things really well. But. One of the things they did really well was make the entire end of the game not fun. I think the weapon idea was good, but man let us have a way to throw them out o our tiny arenas if we don't like the idea? It's a melee game, but the only people that fought in different styles were big people that you had to bludgeon, and the mercenary...the third time you fight him.

Really everybody else you fight fights the same, but they have one different attack they might throw your way. They will always try to ram you, they will always try to pick up a weapon, they will always die really easily by themselves....so they just started adding more and more people...

Sigh. Sorry for the rant. It was on sale, it was worth the price paid I wOuld say. I hope it goes toward rock of ages because that game looks truly amazing and i know these guys are really talented...but man games are supposed to be fun. Difficult is great! I play ALL my games on hard...but make sure they player is still having fun.

sch177uck
01-02-2011, 06:43 PM
disclosure: i am barricades's aforementioned brother.

he gets it about right, but one of his observations is wrong. i'll "spoiler" it since that's how he mentioned it:

the alleyway snipers weren't spawning incorrectly. they would spawn when appropriate. the problem was it took us a couple rounds to realize they were above us in the... rafters? so we'd kill the first two ground-level fighters... and then the next three would spawn with the previous round's sniper still alive and well in the "rafters" - dual sniper misery, until you load the save before the first fight and make sure to shoot the fawker up high.

also - the 2nd merc fight was pure misery. not hard like "ooh boy i can't wait till i figure out how to beat him!" but hard like "so this is what it would feel like to work ONE station of an assembly line for 15 hours a day for 12 years straight". i think this was the turning point for the game. the final father-mother fight probably would have been tolerable had it not come after that 2nd merc fight.

otherwise... carry on.

fakiyo
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Bump for actual deal.

Could a Mod rename it to "Sale - should YOU buy Zeno Clash?"

Thanks! :)

MrCrunk
07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
This game is ♥♥♥♥ING AMAZING, and very very unique.