PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 on steam, Lost Ranks.

Orkinman
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM
As my title suggests I have lost ALL ranks on my COD MW2 game after my computer crashed mid game... Looking at the support page on steam https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3991-EOAV-1596 I tried to do as they said but it ended up not working, I'm still rank 1, I could have easily done something wrong, so I replaced all the files I moved. I have here a screen shot of players folder containing my backup of the Ranks and would really appreciate some help on this as I have lost many hours of game-play in a matter of seconds which I had no control over.

[Screen Shot]
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/927/mwf2players.png

Slaybells
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
This just happened to me, too. This ♥♥♥♥ing bull♥♥♥♥ is unacceptable. I was already determined not to buy another IW game, but now I'm on the verge of not plaything this game ever again if this ♥♥♥♥ can't be fixed.

Orkinman
12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm not above spam-bumping this thread until some kind of answer is found, not just for us two, but for the hundreds if not thousands of other people this is most likely happened to.

And its how easily it happened that really bothers me. I mean crashes are sometimes common occurrences for some people. How am I supposed to go back and put hours of work into a game that has screwed me over once already, and can do so just as easily again?

Slaybells
12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Did a mod delete my bump post? What a joke!

I agree totally Orkin, I don't know about you, but I was rank 50 in the first prestige. It was a ton of effort to get to that point, and now it's all gone in a blink?

What happened to our data being stored on Steam servers? Yet another lie told to us by IW and Valve's PR department? How is this acceptable business practice? The 'suggested' answer does absolutely nothing, where are our answers? WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS?

Orkinman
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow, did they seriously delete your post? Its still quoted anyway lol. I was only level 58, but this is a RANKED game were talking about here, competitive multiplayer on RANKED matchmaking servers. This should never happen, unacceptable.

Degausser
12-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Guys, this exact same thing happened to me late Saturday night.

I was playing multiplayer, had just unlocked lvl 45 (I remember because it just gave me the M9 Handgun) and my computer restarted randomly, as it is want to do when I am playing MW2.

All the other times my computer restarted I just went back and played the game again as normal, but this weekend it reset me to level 1!! :o

I checked my main menu and it still said I had 64% Multiplayer completion. But I was level 1. Ummm, okaaay.

Now, I've heard that sometimes Steam achievements will go "locked" again after being unlocked, so I figure, "If Steam re-locks achievments, why not profiles?" The solution is usually to just keep playing like normal, and once you unlock something new, the problem will fix itself. This happened to me in LFD1 once so I figured it was the same situation for MW2.

So I played a game as the level 1, got a bunch of kills and ranked up to level 3 after my "first" match as the level 1. It did absolutely jack nothing. In fact it even reset my "Multiplayer Completion" down to 4%...

So the level 45 I had put over 24 hours of in-game play time into is just gone now? And my challenges? Some of those were really hard to get, and I just have no motivation to do it all over again when, as Orkinman has already stated, it can just as easily happen again.

This is quite frustrating...

Sorry for the wall of text.

Edit: I also tried the solution in the link in Orkinman's OP, to no avail. I see that I have files from just before the time that my profile was wiped, but when I tried the fix, it didn't do anything.

Ramzy
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
This problem needs to be fixed now.

It affects absolutely EVERYONE who plays this game.

There should be no reason why a bug that can reset your stats, in a stats oriented FPS game, should survive till this long after launch.

I'm at level 68 so far, and if this happened to me, i would more than likely quit.

bongbox
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
This just happened to me. The method given to fix it doesn't work. I'll probably have to go hack myself to 70 considering I was almost level 30 prestige 1.

ARGHHHH.

=0= BLITZ
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Add me to this growing list prestige 1 level 48 gone !
almost 4 days of slogging, FTW and that fix it they posted does not work another 3 hrs
thanks.....

scotland372
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
This happened to me and the only option is to start again, so much for the magnificent steam cloud....

I saw a thread that showed you how to backup stats, might be worth looking for it.

Roani52
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
And now it f*cking happened to me as well :mad:
I tried to recover my ranking information as described in the article, but it didnt work, I'm still lvl 1
This sucks god damned hard... To me it happened also after my computer crashed ingame

Desperado212
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
As i posted in another category (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12375233#post12375233) you can add me to this list of being all screwed by this error. Or should we call it mess?
Btw, was level 32 and let me tell you something else, the game didn't crash and also i didn't poke around the files or anything else. Yesterday evening i was level 32, today the horror, number one again. Seriously thinking of selling the game... Who wants to go once again through all the challenges and risk having it taken away by a stupid programming error like this. Modern Game? Pff, not likely...

M@7R!ch5
01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I have the same problem since my computer freezed and got reboot today at 5H30 PM (France) :o

I'm very ANGRY !

w00ts0n
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
MW2 isn't balanced for crashes.

m@stermosh
01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
You guys are full of it. You used the rank hack and now you got reset. Just use the rank hack again smart guys.

Seriously, after many purposeful crashes to y system, I have never got my stats lost. Other I know have tried too. You guys are so full of it. Just admit you used the rank hack and move on.

p0pcorn
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
You guys are full of it. You used the rank hack and now you got reset. Just use the rank hack again smart guys.

Seriously, after many purposeful crashes to y system, I have never got my stats lost. Other I know have tried too. You guys are so full of it. Just admit you used the rank hack and move on.

Slaybells says he was rank 50 in the first prestige. Why would anyone rank hank to that? May as well go the whole way.

Your ignorance isn't needed.

M@7R!ch5
01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

:cool:

Stupid boy... Looks like you need to see your mom : She makes a cake for you :D No hack at all. I Was at Rank 12 and I am finally restarting from scratch cause there is NO solution.

Thats all falks

simonjames1975
01-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I've had system crashes, freezes, had to hit reset etc. Never lost my rank yet either *touches wood*

I don't use any hack programmes but still fear losing my rank, I've seen no evidence either for or against only hackers getting reset, no word from IW/Valve on this either.

If honest players are getting reset then I hope IW/Valve fix it soon, I'd hate to have to rank up the prestige 1-70 again.

I keep a back up of my players folder on a spare HDD, I've read that, that doesn't guarantee retrieving your stats though:eek:

parker88
01-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Why are you talking this ♥♥♥♥ again ? its completely false.

Desperado212
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Here we go... I went back from level 1, prestiged, yesterday i was level 46 and today guess what... level 1 again. Nice work steam, IW or who the ♥♥♥♥ it is that is screwing this up. My hat goes down to the programmers who made this possible-twice! What a load of s***, in this modern age that this happens for no apparent reason is a shame for everyone who made this game. Once again, applause.

To the idiot who was talking bull♥♥♥♥ about hacking... no, haven't done anything like this in my entire life, why the f*** would i do it now when i already prestiged once?

PoIson895
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM

I think my IQ dropped a little bit :)

Use of a program such as that, will result in a BAN, not a reset of stats. In other news, it sure is cold out today...

windex2009
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I think my IQ dropped a little bit :)

Use of a program such as that, will result in a BAN, not a reset of stats. In other news, it sure is cold out today...

Yup, my buddy lost all his rank data after a crash. I filed a report with the BBB for all their false claims shortly after.

pongli
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
:(

yep mine reset too.. i was a lvl 27 prestige 1, i never hacked, and i never rank hacked, but after this lil ordeal, i'm thinkin about rank hacking, is there any serious repercussions?

h0tp0ck3t
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
:(

yep mine reset too.. i was a lvl 27 prestige 1, i never hacked, and i never rank hacked, but after this lil ordeal, i'm thinkin about rank hacking, is there any serious repercussions?

don't do it, i think it can get you vac banned

pongli
01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
dammit, :mad: i really don't ♥♥♥♥ing feel like leveling up again for like 4 days.. I just want my ninja pro back so i can play some HC SD!

D4rkX
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I lost my rank too. I was a lvl 35 now back to lvl 1. I tried to do the steps from the link but it didn't work. Yesterday i was @ lvl 7 and crashed again and now im lvl 1 again. They just need to solve this problem because it is appening to lots of ppl and it should not append even once.It is easy to solve this. just verify if u lvl down. if u lvl down dont accept it, and send a question to the player if e want to reset the player stats.

pongli
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
i wonder if iw or steam is at all addressing this dire issue.. if not, then they suck

italymc12
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Same situation for me guys. I was 1 Prestige rank 42 when my game crashed. This is the first crash that has happened to me playing MW2. Has anyone fixed this successfully? Or has anyone contacted steam and did they reset your stats? I emailed steam and they have yet to email me back. This definitely does not look good for Steam and Infinity Ward.

Swordsman
01-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Rank hack to the level you guys were, what else we can do? :(

djloeffler007
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
same here, played almost 80hours for level65. the game freezed, after restart i am level 1. very nice infinity ward! and that wonderful steam support sent me the link where i should rename the backup files. i thought my rank is safed with steam cloud?! why the hell should i rename this stats files on my PC, when the "original" files are saved somewhere on a steam cloud server?! i tried to reinstall the game, installed it on another PC (my friend can play this game on any PC with any game files without losing his stats), nothing works.

i was unsecure whether i should buy this game, because of that dedicated server stuff and the price here in germany (60 = 85$). got a cheaper import version from the UK, and started to having fun, until now. let's boycott this ♥♥♥♥!

Girtas Briedis
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
same there.. ~30lv in prestige mode with some realy hard to get titles :/... game crashed when quiting (in fact my pc crashes only with modern warfail 2 :/ )

moritz2106
01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
YES you all are right i had the same problem i was level 32 1.prestige but nothing worked i sell my game now and never ever i buy a steam or an IW game and all of this Threath pls dont buy steamgames and dont buy IW games thsi is unaccaptable 60 Euro for waste 2 days of my life???????????♥♥♥♥ mother♥♥♥♥ing steam ♥♥♥♥ mother♥♥♥♥ing IW what the hell is that? over 25% of players have ONE PROBLEME i think it is the time to FIX THIS MOTHER♥♥♥♥ING RANK RESET"!

Metal Militia
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I have this issue also, tried the .bak fix with no success.

help us out steam... your cloud isn't suppose to take a ♥♥♥♥ on your customers, if it does FIX IT!!!

Fluo Protein
01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
It's always a pain seeing those bugs ruining our paid (and in most of the cases hard earned) game. I've always trusted developers and really often found myself defending their causes, but this is too much. It took a month to nerf a boomstick just because everyone complained about it (I'm not saying that they weren't overpowered) but when a good portion of the legit players lost their online ranks it seems that Valve and Iw, plus their respective customer support is deserting us. I've lost all my ranks when I was at level 69 and now I'm slowly trying to regain them. Fact is that I lost them during the first days of december and seeing all those recents rants makes me wonder "why am I even trying?".

Tl;dr: seems that either they don't care (pretty unlikely) or they don't know what to do.

Metal Militia
01-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Here's a solution

A friend lost his rank today. He did what I told him earlier (someone posted it here on the forums), and he got his rank/stats back, well he lost 2 levels, but still.

In Windows 7 (and I guess Vista) you go to the mw2 folder (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2) and locate the "players" folder, right click on it and select "restore previous version". :D

Girtas Briedis
01-11-2010, 04:29 AM
and there is one more solution.. rank hack :D

moritz2106
01-11-2010, 04:49 AM
yes but i have xp so the solution isnt helpless or i dont know to say i am german :D

Joshzors
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
This is the second time it has happened to me, It is really starting to annoy me. The first time it happened it was rank 20, this time it happened at 42.

Spyhawk
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I havnt lost my rank stats yet, but Ive had to redownload/reinstall the game 3 times in the past month and I dont have a clue why thats happening. Thats 4 to 5 hours of downloading each freaken time !

Mr. Demoman
01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Either IW needs to fix this right now, or they shouldn't ban people for rank hacking. Seriously, this happened to me before when I was just Lv65 and now again when I was First Prestige Lv33...all gone and yes I've tried all known (and suggested) solutions, nothing.
I'm THIS close to using a rank hack right now but I'm not because I have precious games on this Steam account which I wouldn't wanna lose (I don't even know if a VAC ban means banned only from this game or all Steam multiplayer games...).

Someone spam IW with a fix for this because when your comp decides to randomly restart or power goes out at my home or the game freezes, ALL RANKS are lost. Totally unacceptable bullcrap.

Girtas Briedis
01-13-2010, 08:54 AM
and lvl hack isnt a solution too becouse it wount unlock titles... :/ weapon collors and etc...

Desperado212
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I quote you Mr. Demoman about spammin IW for some answers. This is unacceptable to when the game wants to reset the rank by itself. I've heard of this problem before, that its very delicate when you are quitting the game it needs to shut down properly or else this crap happens.
The problem i had is a bit different... sometimes my game freezes during a match and i have to reset my PC (hard reset, not ctrl alt delete) and everything is ok when i start the game again. But i lost my rank 2 times by properly quitting the game and shutting down Windows. As to why, i have no ♥♥♥♥ing idea...

djloeffler007
01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3363/

"Fixed a case that could cause stats and achievements to be reset"

it is a general steam fix, not espacially for call of duty. Does anyone had the problem after this update?

Desperado212
04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Hy Everyone.
After last night (to be exactly at 1 am i finished playing) when the game was shut down properly, this is what Steam is prompting me now:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6728/steamfail.jpg

Any idea of what went wrong? This morning everything was ok, now i can't start the freaking game... Oh yes, i will also say this: steam already reset my account twice, both times i don't know why. Is this really going to be number 3?

fallqvist
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
You lost your emblems and titles too?

Desperado212
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't know... I didn't start the game yet. Because i don't know what to choose.

hamsterkicker
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Yep desperado i get the same message over and over again.. seems that I lost at least one day of gameplay.

Desperado212
04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I was on 13 days of gameplay, almost prestige 5... I choose the stupid Download from Steam Cloud files, and now it can't recognize anything. Yet again, the third time it seems i lost my rank due to what? Stupid decision of having your game files stored on some Cloud "siht". Why? My disc is not good enough for you?

Anyone else knows how to fix this? I don't think it's possible but i ask out of desperation...

vinniem
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Yep desperado i get the same message over and over again.. seems that I lost at least one day of gameplay.

Same here.

another brilliant annoyance from the steam folks.

gve
04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
wait, this happening to many? :eek: did you lose also all your emblems and titles? and challenges reset?

thehammer034
05-01-2010, 05:47 AM

You dont have a clue.
I never used any hacks and my stats were reset today after the steam client update.
Its total bs.

thehammer034
05-01-2010, 06:48 AM
This fix is for call of duty 4 but may work for codmw2

To fix your rank and cdkey prompt do the following.

Run regedit and goto the following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\*stri ng of numbers*\cdkeys\

Look for the name "7940" on the right. Right click on it, click on modify then copy the value data or write it down. That should be your cdkey for the game with appid of 7940 (which is COD4).

now open the game and go to multiplayer options and enter your cd-key and click verify.
After you get your verification close the game.

Now goto your steamapps/common/Call of duty 4/Players/profiles/(your profile name)/and rename mpdata to mpdata.old and rename your mpdata.corrupt to mpdata.

Now start the game, You should have your rank back and not be prompted for a cdkey.

Hope this helps.

Worked for me anyway.

Douglas S.
05-01-2010, 07:08 AM
This resetting has nothing to do with rank hackers, I'm still seeing plenty of people in 10th prestige without even 100 hours in the game. All I can suggest is rank hacking back to where you were, it's safe, doesnt get you banned, it just swaps out a text file. I will not link it but, you can search for it.