PDA

View Full Version : finally got it to run

asmoron
12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
deleting the install file

and turning the "windows 98 comparability mode" off and switching it to vista

but the game runs in extreme slow-motion...

the audio is fine, but the mouse lags and the animations are extremely sluggish and slow...

have windows 7, 12gb ram, and a GTX 295...

popup keeps coming up saying my performance is slow and i should change my color scheme to windows 7 basic, though it's the first time that's ever happened...

i just blow 9 bux?

Rumtruffle
12-12-2009, 01:45 AM
the game will run in slow motion until you force off vsync in your control panel.

use something like nhancer if you have nvidia, or ati tray tools if you have ati gfx cards.

although doing this doesnt always seem to trigger either.
forcing vsync globally off in the main gfx card control panel might help then.

Mr.Bigtime
12-12-2009, 02:03 AM
i want to ask a question pls. where to change resolution guys? cant find an option to do that :(

owww, i found it. the the CONFIG folder in the main folder of the game . but no 1920*1280 :(

Kader
12-12-2009, 02:50 AM
I didn't even realize that it was running slowly. (first time playing)

The NVIDIA control panel will allow you to turn off vertical sync on a per *.exe basis by the way.

The screen tearing is atrocious in this game. I've been trying to get it to run in windowed mode to alleviate that problem but no such luck as of yet. (tried both -W and DXWND but neither work and nothing in either *.ini file)

This release has a lot of problems so far and does not seem to contain the original trilogy so I'd recommend holding off on a purchase unless you just have to save that 10%.

I'll happily recommend it, warts and all, if a patch is issued but it's an old game and this ain't GOG.com. ;)

asmoron
12-12-2009, 07:12 AM
yes, forcing vsync off worked, and yes, the game tears so bad it looks like it may as well be a split-screen game...

but at least it's playable, ugly, but playable...

unless anyone has a workaround for the abysmal rip through the screen

Rumtruffle
12-12-2009, 07:34 AM
unless anyone has a workaround for the abysmal rip through the screen

there isnt one and there never will be any more official patches for this game, unlikely to be unofficial ones either as the game is ancient and anything that could be patched by users would have been by now.
you either turn on vsync, which eliminates tearing in all games that its used in, and suffer from the massive slowdown because its used incorrectly in this game, or you live with the tearing and a playable framerate.

Duxa
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I have an AMD 5200+ Geforce7900 GS 4GB of ram and Vista 64 bit... didnt touch control panel or anything (all default settings)... runs fine, no tearing no slow motion... set to 1650x1080 resolution. (Wide screen).

Try new drivers maybe?

Freyar
02-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Sorry for the bump, but..

Win7 x64
Intel Q9550
2x GeForce 9800 (SLi Disabled)
4GB RAM

Forced Vsync off for this game and it sped up awesomely. Works just fine now, even with a "hacked" resolution of 1920x1080. Only complaint now is getting the controls set to what I want.

Xander51
04-19-2010, 12:41 AM
So happy to have found this thread! Bought this back when it came out on Steam, looking to replace an old buried-in-a-closet disc version. Vsync trick much appreciated.

predcon
05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
hmm, and all I did was install in in virtual machine Win XP mode.

velvetmeds
06-09-2010, 03:13 AM
so if one gets this game its either

vsync off and terrible tearing
or vsync on and terrible framerate?

what's the point in buying it then?

Amander
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Cause it's awesome. The humour is just cool.

Qris
11-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I have the same problem. It goes ridiculously slow for me. I've got the VSync set to "Always Off,"

I've got this game for xbox but the disc seems damaged as it'll never load Houton, so I went and got the game off of Steam, but I don't see the point if it's going to play at half the speed.

My system specs are:

* Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20 1.60 GHz
* RAM: 3.00 GB
* System: Windows 7 64-bit
* Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Alkpaz2
11-13-2010, 04:14 AM
I don't experience any slowdowns or FPS drops. I'm running Win 7 64bit, I7 975 3.33Ghz, GTX 480.

dailybacon
12-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Game ran poorly on my machine even with Vsync forced off in Catalyst Control Center @ 1920x1080 and 1440x1050. Switched resolution to 1280x1024 in the setup and now it runs like a dream.

DarthVoVo
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
running Windows 7 with Nvidia 8800GS (laptop)

I needed to run the config program as administrator, then set compatibility on the main bard's tale .exe to Windows Vista (no Service Packs). Then ran the .exe as administrator also, and it finally cured my loading issues.

I don't typically use vsync, so it was already off, but when I cast bard music spells, the frame rate slows considerably.

Pyxx
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't experience any slowdowns or FPS drops. I'm running Win 7 64bit, I7 975 3.33Ghz, GTX 480.

Could you please explain the installation method that you used? I've gotten my game from Amazon then followed an online forum instruction to run the game but it only installed the initial sound file but not any once you enter the game itself. I'm not sure if I installed it wrong or was unable to unzip the sound files properly.

The website I went to was neoseekers. which has a step by step process on how to install. However when it comes to the command prompt step it tells me that the command I entered is invalid. I'll just copy the whole post for installation and highlight the area I'm stuck on. Then you can tell me where I'm going wrong at. This may also help those who are stuck like I am.

1. Right click the disk in "my computer" and click open. You should see a Disk1.cab or something like that. All 6 disks have them. Go online and download a .cab extractor, and put the files in Program Files(x86)/inXile/The Bard's Tale or wherever you want to put the program files. Do for all 6 disks.

Alternatively, you can install it on an xp computer and copy the files. Either way works.

2. If you run the program in compatibility for XP service pack 2, it should actually run, but it will not have sound. To get sound, go to disk 6, and there should be a 'Sounds' folder that is not in a cabinet file, just straight up on the disk, with some .vwb files and an executable called WBCWin.exe. Copy the contents of that folder into the 'Sounds' folder in your program files.

3. Go to start->program files->accessories->command prompt(or cmd) and right click on the application to run as administrator. If you do not run it as administrator it may not work.

4. Use the command line to navigate to your sounds folder. If you don't know how, enter something like 'cd ..\..\Program Files (x86)\inXile\The Bard's Tale\Res\Sounds' at the prompt, but with whatever path names you used.

5. Run WBCWin.exe by entering 'WBCWin.exe *.vwb .\' in the command prompt, and wait for the .vwb files to extract

6. Sound should work, along with everything else. Hope this helps.

When it comes to the Command Prompt on line 3 through 5 I have no understanding on what to enter exactly. My computer tells me I'm entering an invalid command. I'm tried commands such as "Run WBCWin.exe" and just "WBCWin.exe" and also "WBCWin.exe *.vwb .\".

And as for Line 4 I don't know how to use the command prompt to "navigate" to that file. So if someone could please go into a more detailed instruction and explanation of this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, just for the record, Disc 5 and Disc 6 both have a sound files folder. 6 replaces 5 since it has the same exact file names. So question do I replace these or rename them?

Also there is a good post explaining this and alternative methods for installation but I'm still running into the same problem. The website is http://www.insanit.net/category/video-games/

Let me list my set up as well.

Windows 7 Ultimate sp1
Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4GHz 3.4GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System Type: 64 Bit
Video Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 580
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Pyxx
12-10-2011, 12:10 AM
I wanted to update my post but leave it so that others may see where I've gotten lost at and corrected since then. Last post I stated I did not know how to enter the correct commands to navigate where I needed to go. Since then I google search command prompts and command help. With a ton of patience and a little research I was able to instal my game and create a How to Video on Youtube. This is for Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm sure it will work on other Windows 7 series as well. Be sure to visit my channel on a Step by Step on how to do this properly. Especially if you didn't know how to install this game as I didn't. Thanks to those who lent their advice to others and hopefully now with this Tutorial I've put up; you all will be playing The Bard's Tale original Series on Windows 7.

DirtyHarry50
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
there isnt one and there never will be any more official patches for this game, unlikely to be unofficial ones either as the game is ancient and anything that could be patched by users would have been by now.
you either turn on vsync, which eliminates tearing in all games that its used in, and suffer from the massive slowdown because its used incorrectly in this game, or you live with the tearing and a playable framerate.

Or...

Skip it!

Thanks for the posts guys. I'll just have to wait for the unlikely sequel...