PDA

View Full Version : If the game won't start up

ZekkDistor
12-15-2009, 11:07 AM
If you just bought this game due to the Kalypso sale (according to reviews it's really good), and get the following message when you try to start it up:

"Patrician 3: The resolution (800x600x16) could not be initialised. Please install the latest driver for your video card and then start the "P2Setup.exe" program."

go and visit this (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/patrician/will_not_launch/_/3) website, which has a post about it. (since it's an employee of GOG (never heard of it before) I think the registry file should be safe, but it would be nice if someone could confirm it to be on the safe side).

Anyways, using this file the game works for me, though the switching from 1280x1024 in-game resolution to 800x600 menu resolution each time it a bit tiring since my monitor goes black for a couple of seconds each time.

I haven't had the time to play it for more than 30 minutes yet, but it seems very detailed and interesting. Also, since Steam has no metacritic link on the store page yet: link (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/patrician3)

Druzz
12-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I tried out all the solutions the solutions that are posted there.

Started the registry file and so on... it still doesnt work for me.

The 800x600 Error still pops up.

Maybe because I have Windows 7.

I didnt find any other solutions on the net. Any tips?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Druzz

ZekkDistor
12-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Actually, I am using Windows 7 64 bit myself, and it did work for me. I'm suspecting it has something to do with widescreens, because a friend of mine had no problems at all (using XP though) with a normal screen.
I'm no computer expert myself, but maybe setting your display resolution to 1024x768 or 800x600 would help? Only a guess though.

On the GoG forums (seems to me as some sort of Steam rival) there's another guy (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/patrician/installs_fine_no_supported_resolutions) having the same problems, he solved it by messing around with the Nvidia control panel, switching between resolutions, maybe this could solve it?

And more about the .dll file: (http://www.gog.com/en/support/patrician_3/The_resolution_800x600x16_could_not_be_initialised )
f you're experiencing this problem, please unpack the file below and open the file located inside. It should add a registry entry which will inform Patrician 3 that it can use all available resolutions.

Druzz
12-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I also tried the resolution thingy. I have an ATI card, so I tried playing around in the ATI control center... no luck =/

Its really sad cause I really love this game. very nostalgic for me.

oh and at least these guys at GoG seem to care about the problems of their customers

I guess no steam representative will help with this problem although they sell the game....

xiaobuji
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow, I can't believe after 5 months the same issue is still there. I think I am gonna ask for a refund!

I have an ATI card too but I don't think that's the issue. Most likely the game is too specific when it comes to certain video card requirement. I've written to Steam Support but I'm not expecting a reply any time soon. Anybody got a refund for the game? >_<

xiaobuji
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Ok, I don't know if this will work for everybody but it's worth a try. When you started the game for the first time there was some kind of test that loads a picture then asks if you can view it. Apparently you need to choose "test all" instead of just the resolution you will be using. If you went ahead with just the resolution you thought fits you you will have to go back and redo it all. Find p3setup.exe (it should be in /steam/steamapps/common/patrician iii/). run it, click reset, then test all and viola! that should do it.

I hope this was helpful!

bellagoth
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I didn't have any trouble at all. Just went through the tests, had a screenshot off-center on my screen that looked stuck, hit esc, and the game started right up. Works great ever since.

frostshoxx
06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
going back to that p3setup and test all the screen does the magic for me as well

Athiuen
06-26-2010, 05:29 AM
After trying the registry file, editing the registry myself, going through every config file (briefly), i still can't get the game to run.

I'm stuck on the testing.
When I click to test anything (The 'Test All' and the 'Test' individually buttons) nothing happens.

No errors, nothing.

Anyone have any insights into this problem or anyone else even have this problem?

Athiuen
06-26-2010, 05:37 AM
I've also tried changing my resolution to all possible iterations with no result.
I've also tried changes from 16bit to 32bit colors with no result.
When i run the game without testing i get the error:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."
I've also tried running both the testing app and the game itself as admin and nothing happens.
Yay for me...

corfe83
06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I figured out how to get around this error. Go to the "Patrician III" folder in your steamapps directory - typically it's here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\patrician iii

Or it might be here on a 64-bit system:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\patrician iii

When you find the folder, you should see a file called "p3Setup.exe". Run it.

If you're getting this error, it probably says that 800x600 16bit is untested. Test it now. Once you've finished testing it, it should say "OK" instead of "untested" for 800x600 16bit. Go ahead and test all the other resolutions too - it will give you more resolution options in-game.

Now try to run the game again - it should work.

Obviously you shouldn't have to do this, but hopefully this lets you people enjoy the game. Patrician III is a great game, and it's a shame the Steam version has this issue, without any official documentation on how to solve it!

Edit: I just realized my advice was redundant - xiaobuji beat me to it :-). I saw the last couple of "not working" replies and assumed nobody had yet posted a solution...

czechcrusader
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Ok, I don't know if this will work for everybody but it's worth a try. When you started the game for the first time there was some kind of test that loads a picture then asks if you can view it. Apparently you need to choose "test all" instead of just the resolution you will be using. If you went ahead with just the resolution you thought fits you you will have to go back and redo it all. Find p3setup.exe (it should be in /steam/steamapps/common/patrician iii/). run it, click reset, then test all and viola! that should do it.

I hope this was helpful!

This worked for me. Thank you. :D

Starforge
07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
If you still can't get this to run trying the tips above (and I couldn't under win7) add Patrician3.exe to the Data Execution Prevention exception list. That did the trick for me.

bandyman
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I just navigated myself to the Patrician 3 .exe, right click on it / properties / compatability and choose run in 640x480 and the game works np for me. Try that if nothing else works.

Cohnman5
09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
This is a very old game created in 2002 or 2003.Please navigate to C:\programfilesx86\Patrician3 and navigate to hardwaresettings.exe. Run the applet. Then run P3setup.exe and it will set your video resolution. You should be set to go. If all else fails run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Here are my specs and I can't wait for Patrician 4:
Windows 7 64 bit
EVGA X58 SLI Bios 74
Intel Core 7 I920 2.67 MHZ
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
Creative Titanium XFI
EVGA Geoforce 8800GTS 320MB
WD 1TB green
WD 150 GB
Maxtor 190GB
Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
NVidia 258.96 WHQL
Intel chipset 9.1.1025

ChickenWithAHat
11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
This is a very old game created in 2002 or 2003.Please navigate to C:\programfilesx86\Patrician3 and navigate to hardwaresettings.exe. Run the applet. Then run P3setup.exe and it will set your video resolution. You should be set to go. If all else fails run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

I tried all that, it doesn't allow me to run the setup. Anytime I try to check a resolution it crashes.

I've even tried running the registry from the Patrician website. Nothing seems to work with this game.. oh well. time to return it i guess

Alkpaz2
03-21-2011, 12:06 AM

I hope this was helpful!

Excellent fix! Thanks!

AmigoPHD
05-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I hope this was helpful!

Thanxalot, fixed it for me :D

Balthamos
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Using this file (http://files.gog.com/Patrician3/patrician3.zip) to add the registry entry, and adding Patrician3.exe to the Data Execution Prevention exceptions made it work for me.

uberphreek
05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
bumping thread because it has good troubleshooting info.

aldorak
08-14-2011, 02:47 AM
If you still can't get this to run trying the tips above (and I couldn't under win7) add Patrician3.exe to the Data Execution Prevention exception list. That did the trick for me.

qft, i also had to add P3Setup.exe otherwise it wouldn't make it through the 16bit tests.

Didn't apply the .reg, maybe that would have fixed it also..