PDA

View Full Version : Crash, Crash, Crash...................

bugadifino
12-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Hope someone can give me a nudge with this, Just installed Railworks, from Box set, plays ok for a while, then crashes the PC. It happens on all the scenarios i've tried, what happens is the audio seems to go into rapid repeat, the game seizes, and I have to re-boot to cancel.
I have tried most of the solutions in the WIKI-FAQ's, but don't feel confident to try some of the more technical fixes, bios etc.
Operating system is.....
Windows Vista, 32 bit
G-Force 7300 gs
Would appreciate any hints.
Ta Dave

lonewolfdon
12-18-2009, 03:09 AM
What your other system specs such as amount of RAM and CPU speed?
Did you try the "obvious fixes" such as updating your graphic and sound drivers? Running Steam client and RailWorksProc.exe with "Admin" privileges (right clicking those files, then Properties, then "Run As Admin" option)? Disabling background programs (such as anti-virus, messengers, etc..) before launching the RW program?

Also make sure your computer is clean and cool (especially inside the case / vent areas / fan areas / GPU card), as overheating of GPU and/or CPU can also result in a program crashing like you describe. RailWorks can be quite graphic-and-CPU-intensive and make your computer work hard, and as it works harder, it tends to heat up more. Dust and dirt can build up over time inside the computer and on the various components and contribute to overheating, so keep it clean :)

If you do decide to clean your computer, turn every thing off, unplug it, discharge any static from yourself before touching any components (touching the metal casing or other external metal object, such as a door-knob for example, will usually discharge any static build-up you may have). You can use a soft-attachment on a vacuum-cleaner and gently clean it, a can of compressed-air helps to get at hard-to-reach places and blow dust away. Q-tips / cotton-swabs also good for getting into some spots. Don't use a wet cloth on components.

Check through this forum and you may also find other threads regarding troubles with RW crashing and/or not starting and possible solutions.

Good luck.

bugadifino
12-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the reply, the Ram is 2GB. the CPU is Intel dual core 2.13 Ghz. The tower is clean inside, fettled only recently. I'm running it as admin, with no change. I'll go back to the Wiki page and continue to try different things, but i don't see why i should have to alter a perfectly operating PC to suit software, surely it should be the other way round, LOL.

lonewolfdon
12-18-2009, 03:44 AM
When's the last time you cleaned up the registry?
A good free utility for doing this is CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
Make a backup of registry or a System Restore checkpoint first though so in case something messes up, you can restore things back. That being said, CCleaner tends to work great and cleaning up various junk and helping things to run better.

You may also consider doing a defrag of your hard-drive(s), especially your the hard-drive the RW program is installed on.
Also via the Steam client, from your Games list, you can right-click on Railworks, then Properties, then Local Files, then "Defragment Cache", as well as "Verify integrity of game cache" to help ensure that you don't have corrupt or missing files of the program.

If it comes down to it, you may need to consider un-installing it, then re-installing it. It could also be a corrupted add-on causing the problems you're having. One way to restore a Steam installed game back to original settings, as if you just did a clean install, you can find at the following link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8296-VSOM-8056

If things are still not working right, you may also try updating your graphics and sounds drivers if you haven't done so already. You may also try manually downloading and installing the most current version of DirectX from MicroSoft's site.

bugadifino
12-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Yes tried all those, looks like somethings incompatible, looks like I'm gonna ask for my money back, which is a shame as i've been looking forward to getting it.

lonewolfdon
12-18-2009, 06:50 AM
What version of NET Framework you have installed?
Maybe updating to the most current version, 3.5 I think should be it, might help: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

arizonachris
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Ummm, a 7300GS is way underpowered for this game. I would bet it's overheating and the driver stops working and you get the sound loop and crash. I have a GTX260 and at certain times I get less that 20 frames per second. This sim is really graphically huge and a big strain on your video card.

TopGunSF
12-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a GTX260 and at certain times I get less that 20 frames per second. This sim is really graphically huge and a big strain on your video card.

I hate to say it, but as sims go this one is light concerning textures and objects. Sprite trees vs 3D, etc. etc.

The problem is that it's incredibly unoptimized. The engine is putting a lot more strain on the card (and CPU) than it needs to for what it's doing. A LOT more.

That being said, use a tool such as EVGA Precision (google it, download links everywhere) to check your card temperature during gameplay - post your highest or what you get right before a crash.

bugadifino
12-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the link to that useful tool. The temp hardly moves, the max at crashpoint was 58c, it seems to be a sound problem, as if the train that makes the most constant noise, such as steam escaping or the hum from an electric engine seems to crash quicker than a deisel one.

arizonachris
12-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Hmm. Sound drivers could cause a crash. What make and model of motherboard? I do Tech Support at the VIA Forums and I see a lot, really a lot, of issues with Asus boards that have VIA onboard sound. Are the sound drivers up to date?

bugadifino
12-20-2009, 01:28 AM
sound drivers are up to date, it's a realtek sound card, don't know who maafactured the motherboard, could be Foxconn? or where do i find info?

lonewolfdon
12-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Belarc Advisor is a nice free utility for giving a detailed profile of your PC's hardware and software:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

bugadifino
12-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the Belarc link, excellent info on that.

Motherboard is a FoxconnP4M900-8237a

Going to contact Railworks support again (3rd time) see if i can get any responce, if not I'll ask for money back. This would be the last resort though as I've looked forward to the Sim for a while. I'll have to go back to Microsofts trainsim, or reload rail simulator, which along with Microsofts Flight simulatorX work fine? It must be something incompatable as I haven't been able to proceed in any of the scenarios beyond a couple of minutes.
Thanks Guys
Dave.

lonewolfdon
12-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Just another thought of something else you may try (in case you haven't tried it already), is to run the Railworks.exe and Railworksproc.exe files under a different compatibility mode, such as for XP. Right-click on those files in your Railworks folder, then Properties, then Compatibilty option and try choosing something different and see if it helps.

I might not do anything to help, but in my experience sometimes when I've had trouble with certain programs in the past, sometimes choosing a different compatibility mode resolved things.

bugadifino
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Thud, Thud Thud, Thud, thud.................
This is the sound of me banging my head against the wall! Last nigh ( don't ask me what I did) I managed to get it working perfectly, on all scenarios, went to bed a happy man. Fired it up today and back to normal, crash, crash, crash. Now i'm not technically minded at all, but while it was working I noticed that on the EVGA monitor, for the first time it was giving a reading on the FPS gauge, around 120, I'd never noticed this at all till it was working, now it's back to zero. Any Ideas?????????

lonewolfdon
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Before you went to bed up to when you tried running Railworks again the next day, did you make any changes to the game's settings, install something new, or did Windows do an update?

I guess you could always try a roll-back to the previous day's System Restore Checkpoint (if you had one made) in hopes that puts back whatever setting's and such or changes to your computer to where RW was working good for you.

Good luck.

bugadifino
12-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Don't believe this, I got so fed up of trying to get this game working with no success, I thought, I know i'll reinstall it. Now it won't even start, when you try to open a scenario (any) a window pops up saying "a bad thing has happened & now closing the programme" it then says the D.E.P hss stopped the process, and details are in a temp dump file( which I can't open). This is the worst problem i've had with a game since Jet Set Willy on the spectrum. The game is now in a jiffy bag on it's way back to Rail(don't)works, & they can store it where the sun don't shine.
Thanks again for the attempts to help me, & all have a very merry Xmas.
Dave

lonewolfdon
12-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear that you couldn't get it working properly.
I assume you've already tried the "Verify integrity of game cache" option again after reinstalling, as well as perhaps removing any extra add-ons so you have a bare-bone RW installation?

arizonachris
12-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Turn off DEP, I hate that crap. Also UAC. Worst 2 things M$ has come up with since Win ME. ;)

Ragnokak
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Had a similar issue with games in the past. The common resolution is that the game doesn't run as a certain audio bit-rate. I'm just taking a stab here as it can be so many things but...

Is your audio set to 24-bit atm?
If so, kick it back to 16-bit and see what that does.
Lastly on this issue is to just keep lowering it until it works.

If this however does not solve your issue, I wish you good luck finding "much joy".

If you need help walking through this let me know and I'll post a step-by-step if I can, I'll just need to know your audio card.

bugadifino
12-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Tried it at all settings, it's a Realtek HD sound card, fully up to date with drivers.
What does the Antiliasing setting involve?, as it seems to last longer on setting 2 but it runs very stuttery?
Also whats the correct settings for the eax/force hardware settings? All this is new to me, as I'm not a real gamer, this and Flight sim X are all the games I have.

arizonachris
12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
You want to make sure EAX and Force Hardware settings are off. I also have Realtek onboard, and enabling hardware accelleration in sound can really mess things up. And try running with antialiasing off.

bugadifino
01-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Yes done that, but still got the underlying problem of crashing, on every scenario.
Any ideas what my Nvidia control panel setting should be, ive tried altering most, to no avail, managed to get framerate up to 30's from low teens but it still crashes, more on scenarios with constant sound (Steam or electric traction), I've tried disabling the soundcard but no change.

lonewolfdon
01-02-2010, 10:13 AM
From the "Tools & Docs" options, have you tried clicking on "Clear the Blueprint Cache" yet?

lighthousepoet
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I am awefully sorry to tell you bugadifino that I had much the same problems as you, it appears that windows XP OS overtime had so many flaws and corrupted files that it needed complete zeroing and reinstallation with the bare minimum of programs in the end I had to give up because of the strain in trying to fix the problems that I ended up buying a new computer, by the way my old one had a much higher speck than yours but the problem could still be the same be the same especially if like mine your computer is more than 3 years old and has had the same operating system in for that length of time. My new one is a triple core 2.7ghz processor with nvidia integrated graphics and 64 bit windows 7 OS. Before you go out and buy a new one you could first of all do a system restore to an ealier date, get rid of all the unused desktop icons, remove all defunkt programs and then try installing RWs and running it if all else fails make a backup of the OS if you do not have a disc get someone to zero the computer if you do not know how to yourself and reinstall the OS. It is a labourious task as it means reinstalling all your drivers as well as your programs. Even then I cannot guarantee it will work and I do not think the Support team could either.

bugadifino
01-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Yes I'm afraid I've given up on Railworks, the support is non existant, not one single reply, just fobbed of with the wiki route. I have no problems with any other software other than this, so in my eyes it's their product that's faulty. Why on earth should you have to fiddle and delve into the depths of your PC to play what is after all a "GAME"! It should do as it says on the packet, and as all my specs exceed this, i'm afraid this is false representation, and has spoiled what i thought was going to be an enjoyable Sim. It's back to MSTS for me & Steam and Railworks can crawl where the sun don't shine. By the way i've been refused a refund as well so i'm afraid I'll use every opportunity to slate the product where i can. Thanks for the time & effort guys for trying to help me.

Dave

Theblob76
01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Sometimes, it is an outside source causing problems. I have read that a users ISP interfered with playing the basic game, so...

lighthousepoet
01-25-2010, 06:35 AM
At first when I had my problems I was very much of the same opinion that it must be Railworks and yes I was all for trying to get a refund for a product that did not work and should, in the end after I had calmed down I began to think more seriously about the problem. It is not Railworks at fault but once again Microsoft Windows, you must be aware that Microsoft do not guarantee that every game will run perfectly with their OS. I now make a point of looking for Windows compatible software programs or accept the risk that there might be problems running the program. As I mentioned, through time the windows files can become corrupted and because of the way windows works you need to do regular maintenance such as registry clean ups and defragmentation as well as stats checks. The more graphic consuming the program the more likely windows will become sluggish in its operation. I found that through time even games that ran erfectly well like Flightsim X start to lose in performance, I believe it's the way that windows handles the caching that is why they suggest that you run programs in isolation.
So if you want to blame anybody then lay the blame at the right door, Microsoft have been getting away with things for far too long, logically when you think about it why did Microsoft have so many problems with Vista that within a year they had to develope windows 7? If they develope a system that works well why go to the expense of developing a new one when you have a virtual monopoly in the first place, the answer to that one is litigation, they have not been able to develope a flawless OS. I had to remove Vista as my OS and go back to using XP because FlightsimX had so many flaws when trying to run it. Once again I am sorry that you have had the problems that you have had and that there is no easy solution for you.

arizonachris
01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Lighthouse, dude, paragraphs are your friend! ;)

Ecoste
02-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Try running it in a window mode. If you have a PC, i had the same problem WITH EVERY PROGRAM, the problem was my tower was too dusty. So i hired a programmer and he cleaned it. And now it works like cream.

Theblob76
02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Try running it in a window mode. If you have a PC, i had the same problem WITH EVERY PROGRAM, the problem was my tower was too dusty. So i hired a programmer and he cleaned it. And now it works like cream.

You can buy a compressed air can, and open your computer to clean it. It works pretty well to clean out the dust.

bugadifino
03-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Waaahhhhaaaayyyy! touch wood it's now working on all scenarios, FPS is low (14-20), and a little stuttery, but it's working
The solution came on another sites forum where some one posted a screenshot of their settings for the Nvidia graphics card.

1/ The listing was for Steam exe, changed that to Railworks exe

2/ Changed all the settings to the one shown.

VOILA!!!!

CHEERS PEOPLE FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN THE PAST

matthewt1501
03-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Also if the frame rate is crap try running game booster... it closes down all the unwanted "windoze" services, and will get you at least a few more MB or ram back! :)

HTH

Cheers

benco97
03-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Very happy to hear that you got it working, Well done for sticking with it!
I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from Railworks.
However, as mentioned at the start of this thread, a 7300 really isn't the most powerful of things.

Do you know how the nvidia naming scheme works?
(7)[3]{00}
(*) = Generation of card (9 series cards are the latest using this scheme)

= Performance index of card (2-9, 2-4 for basic work, 5-6 middle of the range stuff and 7-9 for gaming with higher settings)
{*} = Card revision

So your card is a seventh generation card rated for low end graphical tasks, you're not really going to be able to get much more FPS out of it I'm afraid.

zm4r
03-18-2010, 08:18 AM
This application lets you tweak the card's performance, but the card also works just fine at the default settings.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html