PDA

View Full Version : Steam.exe:(main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet

ruletokill
12-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello guys,
I have been trying to play MW2 for the past 3 days and i have a problem which is when i click on steam it says updating for 2 min, then it says " Steam.exe(main exception): To run steam you must first connect to the internet. ". I am connected to the internet i can go through websites and play other online games besides steam. I also renamed it to ( ClientRegistryOld.blob ) nothing changed and i un-installed it nothing changed also.

I wish you can help me with my problem :(

ruletokill
12-23-2009, 11:28 AM
guys i really need help ...
please ? anyone ?

ruletokill
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
anyone had the same problem before ?

ruletokill
12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
no one had the problem before i guess ????

beacuse it still doesnt work

Silicon Vampire
12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Something on your computer/Internet connection is blocking Steam. You are the only person in the position to find out what it is...

bazzymax
12-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Something on your computer/Internet connection is blocking Steam. You are the only person in the position to find out what it is...

having the exact same problem any ides as to what may be holding this back, I have no clue.

ruletokill
12-24-2009, 03:53 AM
well it use to work ... and i never changed or installed any new stuff ....
thats just not making sense to me ...

ester25
12-24-2009, 05:40 AM

Stuff can change by itself. Updates, corruption, you clicking on random things without paying attention etc.

Tosadalis
12-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Try posting a ticket here (https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php)

Reading the knowledge base here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=4) might be useful as well.

bazzymax
12-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Yup, again same here, everything was going fine and then it went kaput, I guess I'll start going through and try to find whatever might have caused this, I don't have any antispyware installed...hmmm a mystery.

Black Dragon
12-24-2009, 04:17 PM
i had this problem today and i solved it by switching off the firewall of my modem (not of windows)

Chronomix
12-27-2009, 10:57 PM
this happened to me 2 months ago... it stopped working and then i ticketed steam and did everything they asked me to. it started working on its own 2 weeks later but they recommended turning off Data Execution Prevention for steam. you can find it in control panel. I honestly don't think it will help much because as of now. all i do is play mw2 and just this morning it told me to rs my steam. i did. now it's giving me that exact same msg i got 2 months ago. i never go on internet explorer and i have nothing chanegd at all. just play games. i think it's s steam internal problem because i did system restore to the day before when it was working fine, and then it gave me a new reason for not working saying that steam UI was not loading or some crap. i deleted the blobs and did everything online for that and reinstalled my steam...nothing. i deleted the UI files in frustration and all of a sudden it was giving me the same crap about no internet. im pretty sure its just some steam internal error and they have to fix it.... for the few of us that have this damn problem.... =.=

berker01
12-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Have you guy's checked to see if your firewall is blocking steam yet, that'd be the main one???

bazzymax
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Have you guy's checked to see if your firewall is blocking steam yet, that'd be the main one???

yea, that was the first place I went.

Dramamine
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Bumping the ♥♥♥♥ out of this because I have the same problem and I want it fixed so I can play the games that I bought THAT I CAN'T PLAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Kiwiguy
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Hello guys,
I have been trying to play MW2 for the past 3 days and i have a problem which is when i click on steam it says updating for 2 min, then it says " Steam.exe(main exception): To run steam you must first connect to the internet. ". I am connected to the internet i can go through websites and play other online games besides steam. I also renamed it to ( ClientRegistryOld.blob ) nothing changed and i un-installed it nothing changed also.

I wish you can help me with my problem :(

ive got this as well. I JUST WANT TO PLAY EMPIRE DAMN YOU ♥♥♥♥S!!!!!!

Dramamine
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh and hey I posted a ticket to Steam on Saturday and they haven't responded yet. I want to note that there is absolutely ZERO chance my problem has anything to do with my internet or router, because when I connect to other internet spots I still can't open it.

Oddly, I noticed that my Winamp program was also not connecting to the internet correctly for streaming radio, but the problem fixed itself, apparently.

What the ♥♥♥♥, valve? Why's this happening?

davviscool
02-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Same for me. I left for camp and when I got back it gave me the "no connection" error. I re downloaded and now it wont even let me install steam and this error comes up: "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet". Its bs and its a problem on the Valve end of things. The thing that really gets me is that I cant even run Global Agenda, a game that doesn't require steam and has nothing to do with steam other than the launch method. Its ridiculous. I sent my ticket yesterday and haven't heard back yet.