PDA

View Full Version : Headset as default sound-choice

Ketnask
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi.

I have a problem, that I can't seem to solve.
Every time I run cs:s and go into options, "2 speakers" is chosen as the sound-output. If I try to change this to "Headset" (which is what I want), it will be changed back to "2 speakers" whenever I go back into options.

Does anybody know of any console commands, launch options, or anything I can write in the config file, to change this?
All help is appreciated

Kidrage
12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Nope. I would also like to know this as well :)

ton de mo nai
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I have this problem with all Source games. I think it's related to having a sound card because I never had the problem with integrated sound.

Ketnask
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmm... That's weird. I don't have a standalone sound card, only an integrated :/

polka
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
make sure you have headphones chosen as your output in windows.

i think the source engine reads the info from windows, so if headphones are set in windows then source will set it too whenever you start up.

if you have a 2 speaker or anything else set in windows then i suspect that the steam engine will just copy them into itself.

imparator_57
12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
you must be write this option to your userconfig

snd_surround_speakers "x" // for "x" you need to choose your option from below

0 = Headphone
2 = Stereo Speaker
4 = Quad Speaker
5 = 5.1 Speaker
7 = 7.1 Speaker

polka
12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
you must be write this option to your userconfig

snd_surround_speakers "x" // for "x" you need to choose your option from below

0 = Headphone
2 = Stereo Speaker
4 = Quad Speaker
5 = 5.1 Speaker
7 = 7.1 Speaker
nice :)

this is not needed though, as long as you have the correct audio setup set in windows,

if you havent then this is needed...........

djkissmybum
12-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Create autoexec.cfg in "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\xxx\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg\autoexec.cfg"

write there snd_surround_speakers 0

Ketnask
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't think you understand my porblem hehe

I do get sound off my headset, but it sounds a bit weird. Because it's made for "2 speakers". If you see... :P

polka
12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't think you understand my porblem hehe

I do get sound off my headset, but it sounds a bit weird. Because it's made for "2 speakers". If you see... :P

yeah i know, i get it whenever i forget to switch from 2 speaker to stereo headphones in windows audio options,

it doesnt sound like proper stereo, and its all tinny.

Mr.Duck
07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
make sure you have headphones chosen as your output in windows.

This is a legacy windows xp setting. In windows 7 you set the default audio device only. Which is how it should be done anyway. Think it's about time valve games don't continue to use this crappy way of doing things. Just from a user standpoint, choosing an option only to have it overwritten is a quick way to get uses piissed off. If it won't let you choose, the option should be grayed out.

red_bairn
07-24-2010, 10:08 PM
My Windows won't let me change headphones to default device. Think there is something wrong with the codec.

I also have issues with vent/skype with sound. After I've used them and quit. The sound comes through the laptops internal speakers.

Instead of restarting the laptop, I found I had to disable/enable the sound device...and it would be set back properly.

A bit ♥♥♥♥.

phobus
07-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Idk .. my default output device in win are speakers and with snd_surround_speakers 0 I am able to have in CSS headphones. No need for me changing default device in win to headphones. Does it sound different (better) when I would have default device headphones ? Didn't try it yet.

Mr.Duck
07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes it does sound very much better. I can't even play with it set to 2 channels, has to be headphones.

I now use... snd_surround_speakers 0... in my autoexec.cfg and works fine so I'm happy now.