PDA

View Full Version : Does it run on laptops?

cornontheCoD
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Alright, so when KoTOR was on sale for $2 or something awesome like that, I bought it since I heard it was good. Unfortunately, Bioware forgot to mention in the system specifications that IT DOESN"T RUN ON ANY LAPTOPS! Now I am extremely angry and not trusting of Bioware, and PC gaming in general (bought Thief 3 also, that doesn't run on laptops).

Now, I get it. Laptops aren't the best for PC gaming. I know that now. please don't respond with "LOL Laptop gaming get a desktop". This is Bioware's fault, not mine.

So, since this is a bioware game, too, can I run it on a laptop? Anyone know?

(Just the fact that I have to do this for every game I buy is a huge downside for PC gaming. Get with it developers! I would like it if your game could run on my computer, but if it can't, at least tell me.)

Numnums
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
thats funny as im running KOTOR on my laptop.........

not even a gaming laptop.....toshiba satellite with a 4500m

what laptop do you have? because i can run thief 3 as well on mine.

I dont think this is a bioware problem.

if you cant run those on your laptop then forget about Jade.

devenemy
12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't think it's particularly Bioware or any software developer's fault that you can't run their games. They're creating games to be run on systems that can handle it. If they were to just cater to your every whim by making it playable on a laptop, then they'd have to downgrade a lot of things, make the engines run slower, lower the graphics, etc. You might as well tell all the developers out there to just start making games for PCs from the 90s, then I'm sure you could play it.

Simply put, it's not the developer's fault. If they chose to lower the system requirements of their games, people with decent rigs would get shafted and get a much crappier game.

cornontheCoD
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I am not saying that my system specs aren't up to snuff. I have 2 gigs of ram and a Geforce 8600. Just for an example, I can run TF2 on high settings, etc.

I am saying that I cannot launch the game. It gives me an error when I launch it. I looked on the forums for both games, and many other people (only the ones with laptops) were having the same problems.

The problem with Kotor is supposedly that most laptop monitors run at 59 Hz while normal monitors run at 60.

Everyone I have told about these problems is stunned, saying that it is impossible that just because it is a laptop, it doesn't work. But that is the truth.

I have a HP pavilion dv9000.

And like it or not, this is Bioware's fault. They should at least tell me that it won't run on (most) laptops.

Numnums
12-29-2009, 02:17 PM
you say "most" laptops but it runs on both my brothers laptops, a dell 1525 and a HP pavilion.......

my buddy just said it runs on his old sony vaio.(we are having a lan party atm)we all bought it on the weekend deal.

could it be a conflict with the laptop drivers?

bigbossnlo
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I have an HP Pavilion 2990 and have no problems running KOTOR. I actually haven't had any problems running any games that I meet the system reqs for.

My specs are
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS with 128 GB VRAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

As for the 59 Hz problem, try opening your Nvidia control panel and look at the resolution section. There should be an option to change your refresh rate from 59 to 60.

It's not the developer's fault that you can't run their game. Have you tried looking around for fixes? I'd say get it anyway while it is 3.75. Even if it turns out that you can't run it at least you will have it for later on when you get a new computer.

As for me, I am downloading Jade Empire right now. I have been waiting for it to go on sale along with Mass Effect for the entire sale. Good Luck!

glassypool
12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I think it just won't run on "SOME" laptops, and the reason could also be because of an OS issue, or a driver issue. Not BioWares fault here.

Anyway I hope to pick up Jade Empire too.

cornontheCoD
12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Alright, there is a refresh rate option on my laptop, but the only choice is 59 hz :o

Anyways, I still think that if their game doesn't work on my computer, it is still their fault. If they can't get it to run on 99% of computers that meet the system requirements, they should stick to console games.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will probably pick up Jade Empire anyway. If that doesn't work, I am never buying Mass Effecct 2.

Starfire13
12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Uh. The 59Hz problem is an issue with Windows 7. It's not Bioware's fault. Go complain to Microsoft.

Alastayr
12-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Boo hiss boo! Wah wah wah. It's always the same.
Look, not only is the game 5+ years old, Laptops, due to their sometimes let's just call it "unique" implementation of GPUs and associated components incl. drivers are not in the least fit for gaming. There's no guarantee to run any game on them. None. Not even on those so called "gaming monsters" that perform akin to 300€ PCs.

I can understand your frustration but when so many people can run the game, maybe you're the 1% in your estimation.
And before I'm accused of being harsh, KotOR, Max Payne, Republic Commando, the Jedi Knights and lots of other older games don't run on my PC (bug-free) anymore. So I know where you're coming from.

bigbossnlo
12-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Get an Xbox 360. Buy Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 when it comes out and quit ♥♥♥♥♥ing. Bioware doesn't care about you.

cornontheCoD
12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Get an Xbox 360. Buy Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 when it comes out and quit ♥♥♥♥♥ing. Bioware doesn't care about you.

Oh really? I guess they won't care when I don't buy their games anymore then. The customer is always right, they should care about their customers. And I do have an Xbox 360. I hear all these things about the PC versions being "superior" to the console versions, so I thought I would try the PC version.

PC gaming: Superior to console gaming in every way!

bigbossnlo
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
PC gaming is superior if you can get it to work. If you have problems that you can't solve then play it on a console. Old games have problems that need workarounds on modern operating systems.

Default137
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I am not saying that my system specs aren't up to snuff. I have 2 gigs of ram and a Geforce 8600. Just for an example, I can run TF2 on high settings, etc.

I am saying that I cannot launch the game. It gives me an error when I launch it. I looked on the forums for both games, and many other people (only the ones with laptops) were having the same problems.

The problem with Kotor is supposedly that most laptop monitors run at 59 Hz while normal monitors run at 60.

Everyone I have told about these problems is stunned, saying that it is impossible that just because it is a laptop, it doesn't work. But that is the truth.

I have a HP pavilion dv9000.

And like it or not, this is Bioware's fault. They should at least tell me that it won't run on (most) laptops.

I had an HP Pavillion dv5t and it worked fine, its just the dv9000 is full of hardware problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ran much slower then many other laptops.

Imp_ulse
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Alright, there is a refresh rate option on my laptop, but the only choice is 59 hz :o

Anyways, I still think that if their game doesn't work on my computer, it is still their fault. If they can't get it to run on 99% of computers that meet the system requirements, they should stick to console games.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will probably pick up Jade Empire anyway. If that doesn't work, I am never buying Mass Effecct 2.

My laptop is older than dirt, it runs kotor fine.

Claiming it wont run on laptops is BS, it just wont run on YOUR laptop, and btw, how do you know what percentage of computers the game wont run on, did you take a survey of everyone that bought it?

Narcissistic much?

cornontheCoD
12-30-2009, 01:08 AM
I had an HP Pavillion dv5t and it worked fine, its just the dv9000 is full of hardware problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ran much slower then many other laptops.

Now I am thinking I may wait a long time to get a desktop. There are so many amazing games coming out on consoles next year, it's not like I'll be missing much.

bigbossnlo
12-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the Steam forums. Where people come to vent.

I am having a problem with the mouse cursor not displaying when I play Jade Empire. I'm not going to give up on finding a solution nor is it a game breaking bug. Most people can see their cursor.

My point is that PC's are different and what works for some people may not work for others. However the community for the PC is amazing in that everyone seems to want to help everyone else. Xbox has its own set of problems too. (RRoD) Electronics are not perfect. Its not something to get upset about. Look around and ask questions. People will help.

Judging by how you seem to not care about what the people in this thread have said to try and help you may be better off with a console. They are more of a hassle free game experience and that seems to be what you are looking for. My thought is that you should stick to console games. Don't ask for help on a forum if you are just going to yell at the people trying to help you.

Sharzam
12-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Most laptops dont have decent graphic cards. For example even if it say its a series 8 geforce or simlier it will be a mobile slimmed down version so might miss a particular shader techniqiue etc.

As for laptops running older games well your probably safe as new laptops seem to have the same power as a pc a few years old. But this is not a hard and fast rule as i said above.

RalphMalph
12-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Cool, sounds like HP and Bioware are both jerks. Wow! I am so glad PC gaming has proven to be a successful venture!

Now I am thinking I may wait a long time to get a desktop. There are so many amazing games coming out on consoles next year, it's not like I'll be missing much.

We wont be missing you either; you accept the worst of the gaming industry and hold it up like a shining light because you have a ♥♥♥♥ laptop.

Starfire13
12-30-2009, 07:00 AM
It's just the console kiddie mentality, Ralph. When something goes wrong, it's always someone else's (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/game manufacturer's) fault. ;)

CombatLibrarian
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Asking "does it run on laptops" is the same as asking "does it run on desktops" these days. The answer is "it depends on what's in it".

If you've got a passable graphics card, processor, and ram in there that fulfills the minimum requirements or preferably the recommended requirements, you're good. Laptop versions of the various components are designed to be lower-power (as in electricity) than their desktop cousins, but there's still a decent amount you can do as long as you're not rocking an Intel graphics chipset.

JimiShuffler
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
It's just the console kiddie mentality, Ralph. When something goes wrong, it's always someone else's (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/game manufacturer's) fault. ;)

QFT. I agree, if it doesn't work on their end, It's probably software conflict or they are missing something (.net perhaps) The only time I'd ever blame the Developers of the game is if it is poorly coded/ported and if the DRM is really annoying.

The Milk Man
12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
♥♥♥♥in ♥♥♥♥♥♥ it works on my laptop just fine, you cant have a laptop specific problem dumbass. This laptop pwns it and all other games I've played with no problem. Just cus you cant use a computer doesnt mean you can blame everyone else and their mothers. I'm running windows 7 64 bit on my alienware m15x. But now you're gonna go OH it's cus it's alienware it's meant for games HURRR It's a laptop though so stfu go play your kiddy consoles and dont bother pc pro gamers from now on.

cornontheCoD
12-31-2009, 12:51 AM
LOL where did this term console kiddie come from? Just because I prefer different games than you guys, that means I'm a kid?

oh, and:

you accept the worst of the gaming industry

Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Team Ico, Nintendo, Q Games, Visceral, God of War Creators, and Platinum games to name a few console developers.

I am having a problem with the mouse cursor not displaying when I play Jade Empire. I'm not going to give up on finding a solution

Just the fact that you have to go and find fixes for every game that you play is laughable and downright unprofessional on the developer's part. If the community can do it, why can't the developers (the guys that get paid to make the game) do it?

cornontheCoD
12-31-2009, 01:32 AM
Edit: Sorry for the double post

tibetanpunk
12-31-2009, 02:58 AM
Yep. I am just streaming my brainwaves to the steam forums, where it is typing my posts for me. I'm not using a computer to do this. Nope.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Sorry that the people here are not being very helpful to you. It sucks when games you buy do not run for seemingly no reason.
If you felt the need you could report many of the people replying in this thread for trolling or flamebaiting, which is what they have been doing, rather than offering you any advice.

If KOTOR doesn't run on your chipset or what have you, and that isn't specified in the requirements, submit a support ticket to steam and they should be able to either help you or offer you a refund if the game refuses to run.

bigbossnlo
12-31-2009, 03:02 AM
LOL where did this term console kiddie come from? Just because I prefer different (see: better) games than you guys, that means I'm a kid? Ok. You guys can tinker around with your toys, I'm gonna go actually play my games.

Technically a Xbox is more of a toy than a computer. Imagine life without Xbox and life without computers. Which is worse?

Just the fact that you have to go and find fixes for every game that you play is laughable and downright unprofessional on the developer's part. If the community can do it, why can't the developers (oh yeah, those guys that get paid to make the game) do it? How about the developers make a game that works?

Jade Empire is almost 3 years old. KOTOR is almost 7 years old. The reason that they have trouble operating on new OS's and platforms is that they weren't around when the game was produced. So what you are saying is that every developer should update every game that they have created whenever new software and hardware comes out. That is not their job. Their job is to make quality games that run on whatever is the standard at the time. The reason we find fixes is so that we can enjoy the games of old. Its not the developers fault that they can't test equipment that hasn't been invented yet and it is not our fault for buying modern hardware.

Another huge flaw. Why is it that even though the graphics card is named the same thing, it is worse on a laptop? They could at least name it something different so I know that it is worse.

In your system specs, under display, your video card is listed as a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS. That M after 8600 means mobile which is widely known to PC gamers as subpar. Mine has a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and I have no problems playing the games that I want to play. Some require fixes but generally if you are gaming on a PC you are interested in computers and how they work. I don't mind working a little bit to get a game running the way I like it. This is why you see more kids playing online on Xbox than you do on PC. This normally leads to a better online community since everyone has at least a little background in computer technology.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you don't have the least bit of interest in computer technology and how they work then it isn't the platform that you should be gaming on. If you do, then stick around and learn about things before instantly shunning them. PC gaming has a great community and, in my opinion, better gaming quality than consoles.

Finally,regarding Thief, have you tried anything in this thread concerning your problems with the laptop? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759494

I also looked through the entire forum for KOTOR and did not see any thread started by you asking for help getting it to run. I suggest asking around on there before you give up on it.

Once again, good luck and don't be so quick to degrade PC gaming.

Ekstor
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I have an HP dv2z... Athlon Turion X2 Neo 1.6GHz with Mobility Radeon 3410... running Win7x64.

Note: that's not a very strong processor and the graphics card is only average in terms of gaming.

That said, both KOTOR and Jade Empire work for me. Like another poster, I can't see the mouse in Jade Empire, but that's only important when using the menus and in those cases, I can easily use arrow keys and tabs for those areas just as well.

Minteah
01-13-2010, 04:18 AM
LOL where did this term console kiddie come from? Just because I prefer different (see: better) games than you guys, that means I'm a kid? Ok. You guys can tinker around with your toys, I'm gonna go actually play my games.

oh, and:

Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Team Ico, Nintendo, Q Games, Visceral, God of War Creators, and Platinum games to name a few console developers. WOW you guys are delusional. Don't even know the great games you're missing.

Just the fact that you have to go and find fixes for every game that you play is laughable and downright unprofessional on the developer's part. If the community can do it, why can't the developers (oh yeah, those guys that get paid to make the game) do it? How about the developers make a game that works?

Another huge flaw. Why is it that even though the graphics card is named the same thing, it is worse on a laptop? They could at least name it something different so I know that it is worse.

Just putting this out there: If any of you can prove me wrong and find a patch for either Thief: Deadly Shadows and/or KotOR, I will kindly leave this thread and never post here again

Under "system":
Windows vista home premium
HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC (laptop)
Processor: Intel core 2 Duo CPU T8300 @2.40 GHZ (2 CPU's)
Memory (2046MB RAM)
DirectX version: DirectX 10

under "display":
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 1269 MB
1680x1050

32 bit OS

And to prove that the "can't run on laptop" thing is possible, here is the link to the Thief 3 store page (very bottom):http://store.steampowered.com/app/6980/

I am fairly certain that it did not state this when I bought the game.

First: I agree with the devs, they rock.

Second:

I find this problem very interesting, as my laptop (Acer Aspire 5920G), has almost the same specs as yours. Only difference of what you've posted is max resolution (mine can only run 1280x800), refresh rate (mine is 60hz) and graphics card (mine is 8600M GT), but I have both KotOR and Jade Empire, and both run smoothly without any bugs (except the no-cursor in Jade Empire).

highwayblues
01-13-2010, 04:44 AM
I don't think it's particularly Bioware or any software developer's fault that you can't run their games. They're creating games to be run on systems that can handle it. If they were to just cater to your every whim by making it playable on a laptop, then they'd have to downgrade a lot of things, make the engines run slower, lower the graphics, etc. You might as well tell all the developers out there to just start making games for PCs from the 90s, then I'm sure you could play it.

Simply put, it's not the developer's fault. If they chose to lower the system requirements of their games, people with decent rigs would get shafted and get a much crappier game.

I run Crysis, Supreme Commander, and Jade Empire on my laptop using high graphic settings. They all look beautiful and run smooth. Simply put, not all laptops ♥♥♥♥ around.

pheneas_poe
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Laptops are the best, desktops are for nerds.

infernox3470
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Alright, so when KoTOR was on sale for $2 or something awesome like that, I bought it since I heard it was good. Unfortunately, Bioware forgot to mention in the system specifications that IT DOESN"T RUN ON ANY LAPTOPS! Now I am extremely angry and not trusting of Bioware, and PC gaming in general (bought Thief 3 also, that doesn't run on laptops).

Not true at all. It just doesn't run on YOUR laptop(s).

The minimum requirements and a bit of googling about your own hardware should be more than enough information to know that your laptop can or cannot run the game.

I can say with quite some certainty though if you can't run Kotor or Thief 3 you're not going to be running Jade Empire.

glxblt
05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
If you have a laptop which reports the screen refresh rate to something else than 60Hz, (57-62Hz), the game won't run on Vista / W7 and will crash on startup. The log at Steam\steamapps\common\jade empire\logs\d3d.log will tell you that the game failed to set the requested display mode AND the default display mode, which are both 60Hz.

What you need to do in this case is to go to Steam\steamapps\common\jade empire and edit the JadeEmpire.ini -file. Find the "RefreshRate=60" setting and change it to 59 or whatever your laptop display uses (you can find this out from nVidia Control Panel -> Change Resolution tab.)

I got the game to run this way, nothing else worked. :)

RavN
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I just want to mention that I also have a dual core 2.4gtz cpu, a 8600gt video card and 2gb of ram. I also have windows vista 32mb. I have been running both kotor and jade empire on this laptop with no stability issues whatsoever. I am not bragging, I just wanted to point out that the OP's problems may not be the norm and may even be a hardware issue unique to his/her PC.

glxblt has a great suggestion for those people who have 59 Hz refresh rates on their monitor. To blame bioware or even microsoft because you can't change one config setting because of your atypical hardware is rediculous IMO.