PDA

View Full Version : What copy protection system does Space Siege use?

AeonGrey
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I've been tinkering around to try and figure out what the problem is everyone could be having with Space Siege.

After seeing this page (http://www.vistagamedoctor.com/Default.aspx?Page=SpaceSiege&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1), I decided to see if the game would launch if the EXE were one that...was lacking the copy protection. I'll admit my methods were unethical, but I will NOT give anyone tips on how to do what I did or even WHAT I did. I feel I was justified in doing it for the purposes of figuring out what is wrong with this game that apparently NO ONE supports anymore.

Needless to say, the game runs fine with this method, whereas before I was getting the "exception detected" method that many others are getting.

That, combined with the info on the page I linked to above, leads me to believe this may be some kind of problem with the DRM/copy protection this game uses. Does anyone know what it is? Securom? TAGES? Something like that? Maybe all we need is some kind of update for the Securom drivers/etc.

GraemeH
12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the tip - that worked for me also, I now have the game running.

Nothing "unethical" about it. The developers should fix these kinds of problems until the game is no longer on sale.

OnyxBMW
12-30-2009, 02:15 AM
As the guy above said, nothing unethical about it. Defeating a copy protection with the intent of using your purchased product is perfectly ethical, legality aside (which I won't comment on)

To that end, however, I had to use similar methods to get my copy working. I don't mind admitting it since I, y'know, paid for it in the first place. It's not my fault steam didn't fix the exe so it would work with vista/win 7, and it's not my fault sega never bothered updating the copy protection to begin with (or GPG, if they're at fault). Only problem of mine was the headache diagnosing the problem to BS copy protection schemes.

It would be nice if Steam could work with Sega to make it so drastic measures weren't needed just for the darned thing to run.

Jachal
12-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Whoa! There is nothing listed on the store page about DRM or issues with Vista/Win 7. We customers should have been notified. I am not resorting to using questionable software to play something I paid for.

I want my $5 back!

OnyxBMW
12-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Whoa! There is nothing listed on the store page about DRM or issues with Vista/Win 7. We customers should have been notified. I am not resorting to using questionable software to play something I paid for.

I want my $5 back!

Depends on how Steamworks actually works, whether it's an emulator or its own thing, really.

That said, the issue is likely not on Steam's end, and something they contractually aren't allowed to change, and it's something that probably needs to be taken up with Sega, probably by steam due to how steam changes the EXE around.

And yeah, I wish I didn't need to use questionable software to play something I paid for, but I demand my right to use my legally purchased goods.

AeonGrey
12-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I got a response from SEGA on my support ticket. It sounds like they're going to fix it, though we'll have to wait:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Sega Customer Support regarding the issues you've been having with the Steam download of Space Siege. In our tests of this issue internally, we've found that there appears to be an issue with the installed executable which prevents the Steam version of the game from currently playing. Based on our find, we are working with Steam to get them a new executable and installer which will correct this issue however, based on the timing of our discovery, this solution will not be in place until after our development teams come back from their winter holiday (after January 4th). In the meantime, I have forwarded your information and concerns on to the Valve / Steam Customer Support team so that they are aware of this and should you require any additional support or follow-up from them, you should now be able to do so easily and with better response.

As soon as I know more regarding this matter and when a solution for this matter is in place on our end, I will e-mail you again to let you know. Also, if you have additional questions, do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks much for your inquiry and understanding,

Rob
Sega Customer Support

Langilear
04-19-2010, 07:20 AM
... Unfortunately, still waiting. Some support eh?
Just pre-ordered Alpha Protocol and got it for free.
So no harm done to me, but I would still like to play it.

lonewolf1044
04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Depends on how Steamworks actually works, whether it's an emulator or its own thing, really.

That said, the issue is likely not on Steam's end, and something they contractually aren't allowed to change, and it's something that probably needs to be taken up with Sega, probably by steam due to how steam changes the EXE around.

And yeah, I wish I didn't need to use questionable software to play something I paid for, but I demand my right to use my legally purchased goods.

No it may not be on Steam end but Steam is aware of the problem customers are having. It is Steam's problem when they do not post on the store page of the problem that one may encounter instead of the customer buying the game uninformed and once the customer buys the game they have a hard time getting a refund.