PDA

View Full Version : A diamond in the rough!

Chimpster
12-30-2009, 05:05 AM
What a fantastic game!

Decided to buy it this week based soley on the description of the gameplay (and the fact that it's currently 50% off :P) and it's probably been my best purchase over the festive season thus far (And I've spent about 60 quid total so far :P).

It's so rare for me these days to say that I've "barely scratched the surface" of a game, and even more rare for that to be said of a relatively unknown indie game.
When accessibility and simpicitiy are the buzz words of game design, it's so refreshing to see a game that has depth and complexities galore.

What's equally impressive to see is the level of support that's avaliable for the game, if only more developers would take such an active role in interacting with their userbase.

Can't wait for the expansion pack in Jan and I'm working hard to try and convert my steam community group into buying the game while it's still on sale to play some Co-op goodness (they've all downloaded the demo so here's hoping ;)).

carlosjuero
12-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I know what you mean :) - I bought the game a long time ago on GamersGate and just never got around to it, when I started it up for a real run-through I was amazed at how frikkin fun it is! Then I found out that I could activate it on Steam and get the Steam Achievments... bingo!

Going to work on a review for a blog (that at least some people will see) and trying to get some of my Steam friends into it too. Def worth supporting indie developers like Arcen :D

x4000
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your support, both of you! I am always happy to see when players connect so strongly with the game -- and I am always gratified when people take time out of their day to spread the word as you have done, too. It's so important for little guys like us. Thanks!

frags1981
01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
There is nothing rough about the gameplay to be frank. Its very polished. I had more fun playing 2 hours of this than the entirety of any other strategy game this year. Surely the product of sleepless days and a lengthy beta/test period. Very impressed.

carlosjuero
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
There is nothing rough about the gameplay to be frank. Its very polished. I had more fun playing 2 hours of this than the entirety of any other strategy game this year. Surely the product of sleepless days and a lengthy beta/test period. Very impressed.
The 'rough' part wasn't pointed at the game play, it was a generic reference to the indie game scene (and the RTS indie scene to be precise).

Chimpster
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
^^ Very true :P

Almost all indie games seem like expanded gimmicks wheras this is one of the only indie games I've played that's a complete experience. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for gimmicky fun (I love a bit of audiosurf and osmos) but it's rare for an indie game to hold it's own as a complete gaming experience (AI wars and Braid are two of my favourite games of 2009).

MyLittleBirdy
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Think I'll check this out given the praise it's getting. As for solid indy games I recommend checking out King Arthur: The Roleplaying Game and Shattered Horizon. Two best indy games I've played all year and very different experiences. Both developers are very good with their community too.

Off to buy this now! Thanks!

criverbulldog
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Good choice birdy! I enjoyed the demo to King Arthur quite a bit, I love the mix of medieval battles with big magical events. Shattered Horizon would bend my laptop over, however, otherwise I'd probably give that a try too.

MyLittleBirdy
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah it's quite a heavy one but great fun. But defs for King Arthur. All the different choices you can make are great fun.

Bought AI War and about to have my first game.

criverbulldog
01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Finally got my friend to buy the game, it was his first time playing tonight, we set the AI to 5 and just had an epic 3 1/2 hour session. Great fun.

yetanotherform
01-16-2010, 09:47 AM
is there a forum to find cooperative partners? I would love to get a game going multiplayer.

roberto88h
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
The forum on the developers site has a place to meet people to play with. They also have an IRC channel, but I don't remember the details of it. You can probably find it at the developers site too.

http://www.arcengames.com/

Hope this helps!

x4000
01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Yep! The meeting grounds forum is here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?board=4.0

And the IRC info is here: http://arcengames.com/irc/aiwar_irc.php

There is also an official Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/aiwar

Sykarus
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow, I would love to see this game with Supreme Commander level graphics! Nevertheless, AWESOME GAME! Thanks to the Developer, good work man.

carlosjuero
01-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Wow, I would love to see this game with Supreme Commander level graphics! Nevertheless, AWESOME GAME! Thanks to the Developer, good work man.
When you take into account the # of units you can have fighting each other towards the end game, add it to the GFX of weapons fire, turrets, shields, etc... yeah - SupCom level graphics would require a much heftier system to play AI War if that was the case. Right now the graphics are just right for the game (imo) - the game play more than fills in for any graphics (plus its more accessible to lower end pc players)

bigfleb
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I bought this game at xmas because it was cheap, but I havent tried it yet. Maybe I should get around to it :D

Chimpster
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Well I'm upto about 24 hours played on AI War and I still haven't scratched the surface! :P

I get obliterated on level 7 AI onward (goes up to 10) on a regular basis and love every minute of it :)

Well worth the price of a DVD whether you're playing on your own or with mates. If you've got a regular posse to play with, I imagine it would be even more entertaining!

Best game of 2009 hands down in my book ;)

HAO
03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Indie devs are the way of the future, the way of the future, the way of the future... the way of the future.