PDA

View Full Version : what are some good tools that I can use to clean my graphic card and CPU fan?

cs-hl_addictz
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
compressed air can, can only do so much...I was thinking of some kind of plastic brush small enough to get inbetween the air vents.

Are there any other tools you guys can recommend, and the places where I can get them at? Prices aren't really a concern, only concern is how well it works to remove most of the dust.

Thanks.

A.Milby
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
I use a paint brush.

For me, I take my case outside. Take off both side panels.
Clean the fans, heatsinks, etc.
Then use the air duster to blow everything out of the case.
I dont buy air duster, i just blow with my mouth (har har)

people will argue not to use your mouth because you could have a little bit of spit come out. But just be extra careful, and you will be fine.

How ever airduster, with a long plastic tube to aim the air, is very helpful with getting into the fan's motors to clean out the dust that slows down the fan.

GotEmRunnin
12-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I use a grill brush LOL in addition to air in a can. Also once a month I take out all fans, hard drives, and my dvd drive and wipe everything down.

90% Jihad
12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Small paint brushes with stiff bristles are very effective.

PC_Helper
12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
As everyone has said: Aside form the can of air some small brushes like paint brushes or even a toothbrush will work very well.

Maybe a pipe cleaner for those hard to reach places.

marie pavie
12-31-2009, 11:21 AM
ID/credit card, paperclip, cedar shingle, Q-tip with one end snipped off, Just walk around opening drawers till you find something.

Naphta
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
I use a compressor.

90% Jihad
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I use a compressor.

Me too, just got one for another purpose and it's NICE for cleaning machines. Do however be careful not to spin the fans with the compressed air as they will spin too fast and the bearings will get damaged. Safest thing is to block the fans when cleaning.

YahooElite
12-31-2009, 11:52 AM
I use 1 of those air pumps thats used to blowup inflatable matresses n so forth, does a GREAT job due to the flow of air that comes out of it, never had to buy compressed air cans ever since i figured out i could use that instead :)

PRiCe
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Is the results worth putting all the effort into it

jigabyte
01-04-2010, 02:35 AM
i would also clean my hardware, but my cpu fan is a ♥♥♥♥♥ to take out and, im just too lazy

Fatimmortal
01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
A paintbrush and something with ALOT of sucking power and something to keep the dust in.

Blowing the dust around won't do you any good if you have allergies.

SHARKuk
01-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Use cans of air. Search for Air Dusters.
I find it best to get the cans with the nozzles or straw like attacments so you can get in closer to tricky fans and vents. Place some paper on the floor give it a good clean out. Brushes tend to lose hairs when you use them and these can end up wrapped round fans.