PDA

View Full Version : I'm so glad I bought a wired 360 gamepad

Deedubau
12-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm noticing a trend of Games For Windows Live games with a lot of the Steam titles I've been buying up through sales lately. While most support an extra gamepad, some don't. I decided to get a 360 pad today because it just seemed easier to plug and play vs configuring the buttons even though it doesn't take long but I like to play lots of titles and it would just take longer to constantly configure each game.

I do have a rumblepad 2 which works great, but sadly it's probably going to collect dust now thanks to my new pad along with the street fighter iv fightpad (for emulators).

So do you guys use an xbox 360 controller or gamepad for certain titles or do you prefer a keyboard+mouse for everything (minus racers)? I usually prefer a keyboard and mouse for everything but I greatly prefer to use a pad for games like Batman, Tomb raider and Last Remnant.

psychodude
12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I got a rumblepad 2 cordless, use it when I just want to lie back a bit and chill, but with most games I prefer keyboard and mouse. I just can't game well with a gamepad, combo's fail, reaction time is slow, etc. Just goes a lot better with keyboard and mouse, they feel like extensions to my arms ;).

StingingVelvet
12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
It is nice to have an "official" Windows control pad, even if I rarely use it. I used it for Batman and am now using it for The Force Unleashed.

Deedubau
12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
interesting. I'm so used to using both now and I forget that even using a gamepad can have a learning curve!

Yeah I like using the pad with Braid which doesn't officially support a 3rd party gamepad unfortunately.

Fatdude
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Wireless Xbox 360 controllers also work great.Got myself a wireless one + usb thing that connects it to computer.Works great for all new games

rushtodeath
12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
I need to get a wired 360 pad. I have a wireless 360 controller from the console, but the damn dongle thingie is impossible to find at a reasonable price from respectable outlets.

I'm just glad Batman plays well with a k+m

But it seems Microsoft really cornered the market on PC gamepads now. It's hard to get a 3rd party gamepad working on it. I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 that will have to collect dust now.

raincoatx
12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
The dongle never worked for me and I returned it soon after. Using my PS3 controller now without a hitch.

QuackPot
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I got a wired 360 controller for xmas. Newer valve games like, TF2, Portal, L4D1 & 2 support it but older games like HL2, CS:S etc don't. But KB&M is far better for fps.

That said, the controller is excellent for Grid since it support it fully and even has rumble too.

Yvese
12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I use my 360 wireless controller for games that are really built for a controller like Batman: AA, Assassins Creed, GTA: 4, Mirror's Edge, NBA 2K10, and The Last Remnant.

I have Resident Evil 5 as well but much prefer the KB:M since it's easier to aim for obvious reasons.

Deedubau
12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
If grid supports the pad perfectly out the box then I might have to give it another shot! I already own it on the 360 (would have gotten the reciever dongle alone instead but it's discontinued) only because I was never able to configure that game with my rumblepad 2.

eetcheez
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
I have both a wireless 360 controller and a Rumblepad 2.

I use my 360 wireless controller for games that are really built for a controller like Batman: AA, Assassins Creed, GTA: 4, Mirror's Edge, NBA 2K10, and The Last Remnant

Mirror's Edge was infinitely better with a mouse and keyboard, IMO.

If grid supports the pad perfectly out the box then I might have to give it another shot!

It does.

Yvese
12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
I have both a wireless 360 controller and a Rumblepad 2.

Mirror's Edge was infinitely better with a mouse and keyboard, IMO.

It does.I agree Mirror's Edge was better with M+KB, but I prefered a gamepad with it since I could just kick back without slouching on my desk.

Oh and I forgot to add NFS:S and Burnout Paradise to my list of games I use with my pad.

Deedubau
12-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh and I forgot to add NFS:S and Burnout Paradise to my list of games I use with my pad.

I would have bought the Burnout Paradise deal if I had a the gamepad the other day but it's not a huge deal since I already own it (although w/o the DLC) on the 360. I am eagerly waiting for NFS S to have a good deal (which probably won't be anytime soon) because it takes about 30-50 seconds for the races to load!

GotEmRunnin
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
rarely use the gamepad. Used it for assassins creed and now I'm using it for burnout paradise. Had a logtech rumble gave that to my daughter. Really like the 360 controller. Glad they made it so easy to use with the pc.

Yvese
12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
I would have bought the Burnout Paradise deal if I had a the gamepad the other day but it's not a huge deal since I already own it (although w/o the DLC) on the 360. I am eagerly waiting for NFS S to have a good deal (which probably won't be anytime soon) because it takes about 30-50 seconds for the races to load!NFS:S was actually already on the daily deal already for 33% off I believe. It wasn't much, but unless STEAM plans on putting back all the daily deals at the end of the sale, I doubt it will have gone any lower than that.

hamzta09
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm noticing a trend of Games For Windows Live games with a lot of the Steam titles I've been buying up through sales lately. While most support an extra gamepad, some don't. I decided to get a 360 pad today because it just seemed easier to plug and play vs configuring the buttons even though it doesn't take long but I like to play lots of titles and it would just take longer to constantly configure each game.

I do have a rumblepad 2 which works great, but sadly it's probably going to collect dust now thanks to my new pad along with the street fighter iv fightpad (for emulators).

So do you guys use an xbox 360 controller or gamepad for certain titles or do you prefer a keyboard+mouse for everything (minus racers)? I usually prefer a keyboard and mouse for everything but I greatly prefer to use a pad for games like Batman, Tomb raider and Last Remnant.

Ive not 'configured' a single button on my keyborad in any game since 1998, oh wait, Burnout Paradise cause the developers are to 'tarded to understand people dont use F1/F2 to go to the next screen in menu etc.

Anyway, you shouldnt play batman without a mouse :O =O =O

xqyz
12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I like my gamepad (360 wired, too) for some games. Most PC games which support it (GTA, L4D, Mirrors Edge) are more fun w/ Mouse + Keyboard thought. I actually kinda suck w/ game pad due to my years PC Gaming.

QuackPot
12-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Driving games and action games/third person games work best with a controller imo. KB&M for everything else.

T@F
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Depends what game i`m going to play tbh.

Gta`s i use a ps2 pad.
Same with street fighter 4
Trackmaina i use 360 pad,don`t know why just seems better on the 360 pad.
fps keyboard and mouse.

Bjoern
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM

I've had less luck, I have a 360 controller that doesn't work so well with Indigo Prophecy which I just bought today. Dpad and right analog stick won't work with that game... Oh well, $3.50 down the drain. :D

Bearkin
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I got a question. I know this probably depends on the retailer but do any retailers sell just the USB receiver? I have enough 360 controllers as it is and I just want a receiver so I don't have to spend $80.

T@F
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I've had less luck, I have a 360 controller that doesn't work so well with Indigo Prophecy which I just bought today. Dpad and right analog stick won't work with that game... Oh well, $3.50 down the drain. :D

Not realy.
You do know there are 3rd party drivers out that will fix that.
had the same prob with gta and gta vc until i got Xbox360 XBCD Drivers.

Deedubau
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
indigo prophecy was made before the GFWL standards were made and that's part of the reason why the game doesn't work so well with the gamepad. I already did an extensive search for the wireless USB reciever and there's no places online that sell it for a decent price since they are discontinued.

phantasmic
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I got a question. I know this probably depends on the retailer but do any retailers sell just the USB receiver? I have enough 360 controllers as it is and I just want a receiver so I don't have to spend $80.

I actually just looked this up this morning wondering the same thing.

They no longer sell the receiver standalone for whatever reason (I too have many controllers). Instead they now sell it in a pack with a controller and call it Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows. Amazon has it for $40, which is less than what Amazon stores will charge for the standalone receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows-pc/dp/B000KA5T6A

Bearkin
12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I actually just looked this up this morning wondering the same thing.

They no longer sell the receiver standalone for whatever reason (I too have many controllers). Instead they now sell it in a pack with a controller and call it Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows. Amazon has it for $40, which is less than what Amazon stores will charge for the standalone receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows-pc/dp/B000KA5T6A

Thanks!

Any idea when the sale ends?

T@F
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Found a couple of cheap places.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=xbox+360+wireless+receiver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6588234257697314511&ei=5UA9S7uIH5O60gTI7dCSBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers
or
http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Crossfire-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/~r329957/

m-p{3}
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
I use my Logitech RumblePad 2 for racing games or for legacy games I played when I was young. Some of those even works with the rumble feature.

The only game that did not work well with it was Mirror's Edge, but I guess I could fix that with the Logitech Profiler. I'll just make an application-specific mapping.

Bearkin
12-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Found a couple of cheap places.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=xbox+360+wireless+receiver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6588234257697314511&ei=5UA9S7uIH5O60gTI7dCSBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers
or
http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Crossfire-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/~r329957/

Know any US or Canadian stores?

Rumtruffle
12-31-2009, 05:31 PM
ive got a 360 wireless pad with a MS receiver and i have to say its a godsend for certain games on Steam.

Yeah they might be 't3h' seepage from satans anal orifice at times, but for my money they got it spot on with the 360 controller.

Verminus
12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I have too say I some times pull out my wireless 360 controler for some games. especially fallout 3. I sometimes switch back and forth between kbd+mse and 360 pad depending on weather I'm just taking long treks across the wasteland or doing alot of non-vats combat.

T@F
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM

hmm quick look and found this.
http://www.goldenbridge.hk/goods-2124.html

m-p{3}
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Worldwide free shipping

Wireless Controller Gaming Receiver for Xbox 360 (White) @ $22.12 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31881)
Wireless Controller Gaming Receiver for Xbox 360 (Black) @ $22.12 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31880)

KoukiFC3S
12-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I actually just received mine in the mail today. Batman and Red Faction work great with it!

I also bought Burnout Paradise. Should work nice with that too.

xcomponent
12-31-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a G25, Saitek x52, and xBox 360 wireless controller.

I use them for:
Mirrors Edge
Batman
Hawx
NFS Games

Wailord
12-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I switched to the PC mainly for the fact that a) the community is better [I moved from XBL...] and b) the entire process is much more entertaining. I completely intend to learn the kb+m for my many FPS games, but I'm still having trouble getting a grasp of it. I think that getting a wireless receiver (or buying a wired controller?) would let me buy my various sports games and play them with ease...

zealousyouth
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Yes. I've seen it in a retail best buy for just the dongle USB receiver thing, but that was years ago, and recently they seem to only sell the combo pack with the controller and the USB receiver. But it's still perfectly possible you could find just the USB receiver somewhere in a retail store still...

Anyways, I would try searching online though, and I'm sure you can find just the USB Receiver...I'd start by trying Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WFYZCY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d2_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y322S2K141GZMZXZG6P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032A0RBC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y322S2K141GZMZXZG6P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846