PDA

View Full Version : cannot install W7 on my comp.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi,
im having problems installing w7 on my rig. it gets to the starting windows screen and just stays there. i have left it over night and nothing happens.just the window icon.
I have formatted and tried to boot from cd and it doesnt even load, just stays in the screen with the window icons.
spec's are

E6600 clocked to 3.04ghz
p5n32-e sli plus (i think thats the issue)
asus gtx 295
3g Corsair ddr2 800
all wd hdd... 320g (system), 640g & 1t (have disconnected for install).
dvd burner.

i also installed W7 on my wifes comp with no issue at all... i have put her video card, ram sticks into my comp and still doesnt work.

I connected my HDD to her comp and installed W7 with no issues than i plugged it back to mine it just loads the window screen then quick blue screen for a fraction of a second then resets.
i got these msg;s in some of the fail installs but cannot see the blue screen error after i installed 7 to my hdd.
Stop 0x000000FE
stop 0x000000d1
stop 0x00000124

ive tried installing with only 1g of ram & just 512mb of ram.

i have the lastest bios updates (which isnt saying much from asus) but im running windows vista now with no issues at all.
Any ideas would be really helpful.

thanks

Gone'Postal
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Drop the CPU down to stock speeds and give that a try. OC it back up when/If it installs.

PC_Helper
01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Drop the CPU down to stock speeds and give that a try. OC it back up when/If it installs.

I concur.

Never install an OS with an overclocked CPU.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
i tried it but it didnt work...im pretty sure i tried it as well yesterday but i tried to boot from dvd now on stock speeds and same thing. didnt go past the starting page with the windows icon

PC_Helper
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
i tried it but it didnt work...im pretty sure i tried it as well yesterday but i tried to boot from dvd now on stock speeds and same thing. didnt go past the starting page with the windows icon

Did you try to Google those errors?

Stop 0x000000FE
stop 0x000000d1
stop 0x00000124

I did a very quick search and found nothing related to windows 7 installation.

I'm thinking you have an illegal copy of the OS

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Did you try to Google those errors?

I did a very quick search and found nothing related to windows 7 installation.

I'm thinking you have an illegal copy of the OS

i have legit ones....i have vista upgrade academic and W7 home premium. both from dse.com.au. wife had xp to W7 home premium

PC_Helper
01-02-2010, 05:14 PM
i have legit ones....i have vista upgrade academic and W7 home premium. both from dse.com.au. wife had xp to W7 home premium

I was thinking the install CD sounded suspicious. I could ahve worded that claim differently.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 05:19 PM
but then again everytime i touch something on my computer i have issues....i got a gtx295 a few weeks ago and i swapped it out and my comp wouldnt turn on.....
a few days ago i got those 2 new HDD's and i had issues...
yesterday all i did was unplug 2 sticks of ram and my comp wouldnt turn on for a while than it turned on...
i just have the worst luck with my comp...every one elses i help with is all fine.

i doubt dse would let me return it cos i obviously have already opened it to swap it for another.

PC_Helper
01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
whats your PSU?

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
whats your PSU?

i have a thermaltake 850w

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
i have put my hdd into my missus system and installed W7 with no problems and can get into windows etc...so i unplugged it and put it back into my tower and it jams up at the loading screen...so i know its not the cd.
i was looking at upgrading my mobo and cpu to an i7 920 in feb\march and hoping that will fix the issue....hoping

masta121
01-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Try putting your wife's DVD reader in your computer and see if that fixes it, yours might be bad. If it still won't work, we'll test other things.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Try putting your wife's DVD reader in your computer and see if that fixes it, yours might be bad. If it still won't work, we'll test other things.

i can give it a shot but if i just do a upgrade thru windows (not booting with dvd) it does all the loading stuff and installing windows etc....

but i will try it.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
nope, the same thing...the only thing different in my comp from my wifes is the ram, gpu (which ive swapped) and the mobo...she also has a asus p5b.

masta121
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
nope, the same thing...the only thing different in my comp from my wifes is the ram, gpu (which ive swapped) and the mobo...she also has a asus p5b.

Try testing the memory.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Try testing the memory.

i have as well...ive pluged her ram into my comp and it still didnt work... the only thing i havent swapped out on mine is obviously my mobo...we have the same cpu as well and same main hdd.

PC_Helper
01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
i have as well...ive pluged her ram into my comp and it still didnt work... the only thing i havent swapped out on mine is obviously my mobo...we have the same cpu as well and same main hdd.

Use memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) to test each stick of ram individually.

Kriminal
01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
i'll give it ago now...thanks for all your help. i really do appreciate it.

>VLN<
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Looks like Motherboard issue.

Kriminal
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
i guess i just have to wait till feb\march to get my i7 and mobo and hope it works...hope

furioman
01-04-2010, 05:47 AM
i had win 7 installed on a very similar spec same mobo and cpu, why dont you try installing from a usb stick if you have one. it was rather slow on mine first time i installed it (used front usb ports on case Bad idea) second time i installed it after my hard disk died installed it from one of the usb ports on back of mobo installed alot quicker.

Kriminal
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
i had win 7 installed on a very similar spec same mobo and cpu, why dont you try installing from a usb stick if you have one. it was rather slow on mine first time i installed it (used front usb ports on case Bad idea) second time i installed it after my hard disk died installed it from one of the usb ports on back of mobo installed alot quicker.

silly question....do i make the dvd into an iso and put it on the usb or copy the folders to the usb?

furioman
01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
hmmm can mind,

Instructions (http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/)

You can copy over the files from you dvd drive just important setting up your usb drive and making it bootable

Kriminal
01-05-2010, 04:06 AM
hey,
i installed w7 again and tried to boot in safe mode but it gets stuck windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
My HDD is a 320g Western digital WD10 01FALS-00J7B SCSI. sata.
What i dont understand is my wife has the same hdd as me (different mobo) and it works fine. I have even installed W7 on my HDD in her tower and no issues, loaded into windows fine but same problem when placed into mine..
im on the WD site trying to get new drivers but i didnt think u could get drivers for hdd's and all i can find to download is
•Acronis True Image WD Edition
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (Floppy)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Kriminal
01-05-2010, 04:33 AM
i found this thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/f6dd9572-395b-4e69-b12c-17324bd6a434) but i am so tired i tired to read how to use the DISM command but dont understand it. will look tomorrow night. thanks

Lefty Loosy
01-05-2010, 05:53 AM
This may sound silly, but silly solutions are frequent.
I had a very similar problem that was solved by disabling usb controllers during the installation, but what I think was the actual solution was unplugging a usb cable that wasn't connected to anything.

Marcio_xD
01-05-2010, 06:11 AM
If you do not have a floppy drive but it says in the SETUP that you have it will hang in the first screen of the install because its waiting for the drive.
Go to the SETUP screen and remove the floppy drive.
It happened when I tried to install the beta, I don't know if it's fixed in the final.

Kriminal
01-06-2010, 01:35 AM
hey,
ive tied disabling usb controllers, floppy drive is already disabled..i disabled the 2nd network port than i disabled both...still the same thing, stops on windows loading screen. not a clue