PDA

View Full Version : Computer help plz

ChefSarge
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
mmk this is my computer spec's its all brand new built. well long story short it hasnt happened during gameplay (thank the lord) but i was just browsing on the net and my screen went black freaked out streaking colours all over the place then after a few minutes of me freaking out hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL it kinda stopped and went back to normal, if possible id like to find out whats causing this but ive never had this happen to me before, i have some computer skills so ive done what i think might help but nothing seems to effect it ive tried different graphics drivers, checked the refresh rate on my "Monitor". well anyway any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
SARGE

P.S what does concern me the freaky colours and black screen aside is my computer appears to lag when this happens... i mean 8gig of ram and 3.4ghz quad core? i built this computer like this so id never lag :confused:

CPU: AMD Phenom II quad core 965 3.4 ghz
Motherboard: MSI DKA790GX Platinum
Memory: 4x 2gig CORSAIR 1066
Video Card: ATI HD 5970
Power Supply: ZULMAN 750*
Case: ANTEC NINE HUNDRED HardCore Gaming Case Black Maximum
Monitor: BAUHN 42inch LCD HD
HDD: 1x CORSAIR Extreme X32 32GB SSD 2.5inch SATA2 170mg/s
HDD: 2x 1 TB Samsung

WeAreLegion
01-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Overheating I guess.

jamesd9007
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Did you check your GPU and system temperatures? That's a weird problem.

By the way sweet rig!

ChefSarge
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
what kinda programs are there to monitor video card temperatures? i have CPUz but it only tells me all the details about it

i also have catalyst control center i figured being the highest end graphics card ATI have out at the moment i thought it could tell me but i guess not xD

EDITed bit
also thanks i sunk alot of cash into it ^.^ i do want to buy a water cooling system for my PC reguardless of overheating or not but car rego comes first :(

jamesd9007
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
HWMonitor, GPUZ, or in BIOS. CCC should have temp readings as well.

5 amp fuse
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
mmk this is my computer spec's its all brand new built. well long story short it hasnt happened during gameplay (thank the lord) but i was just browsing on the net and my screen went black freaked out streaking colours all over the place then after a few minutes of me freaking out hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL it kinda stopped and went back to normal, if possible id like to find out whats causing this but ive never had this happen to me before, i have some computer skills so ive done what i think might help but nothing seems to effect it ive tried different graphics drivers, checked the refresh rate on my "Monitor". well anyway any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
SARGE

P.S what does concern me the freaky colours and black screen aside is my computer appears to lag when this happens... i mean 8gig of ram and 3.4ghz quad core? i built this computer like this so id never lag :confused:

CPU: AMD Phenom II quad core 965 3.4 ghz
Motherboard: MSI DKA790GX Platinum
Memory: 4x 2gig CORSAIR 1066
Video Card: ATI HD 5970
Power Supply: ZULMAN 750*
Case: ANTEC NINE HUNDRED HardCore Gaming Case Black Maximum
Monitor: BAUHN 42inch LCD HD
HDD: 1x CORSAIR Extreme X32 32GB SSD 2.5inch SATA2 170mg/s
HDD: 2x 1 TB Samsung

Definately sounds like overheating. Do the fans go really loud when this happens?

Use a program to set the fan speed on high and see if it happens again. Try putting the GPU under load by running 3DMark after you have put the fans on full.

If this cures it, I'm not sure how to fix the software :( but at least you'll know the cause.

If, when you try and put the fans on full and nothing happens (it doesn't sound like a jet is taking of under your desk) then RMA your card, because the bios/fan is faulty.

ChefSarge
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
GPU temperature 1 2 & 3 are all averaging at 45 degree's celcius but i play alot of games on top detail without crashes freezing or even frame skipping

edited bit
lol a while ago i tried to run future mark on a pretty hot day... it sounded like my computer was gonna fly to the moon it was pretty loud :D it was then i decided i want water cooling but i have to wait a couple of weeks to afford it but thats ok cause i need to find somebody with the qualifications to put it on ive never done it and dont plan on trying with my thousand $$ card :S (was told to install water cooling the fan has to be removed first?)

jamesd9007
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Those temperatures seem fine. Get Furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/), start a GPU stability burn test, and see how high the temps go (and if there are errors/artifacts).

Also do some checks: Check if the GPU is seated in the PCI-E slot securely. Check the PCI-E power connectors. Check your video cable.

And yeah if you want to water cool the GPU you need to first remove the stock cooler.

ChefSarge
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
a bit nerve wracking as i watched the temperature climb like that... when i did my IT courses i was always told that 90 degree's is going too far but wether its good or not my gpu sat at 85 degree's it max'd at 209 FPS and hit a low 110

jamesd9007
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
85C load for 5970 is acceptable, so definitely shouldn't be the temperature that's causing your problems.

ChefSarge
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
thats a big relief so thats 1 probable cause checked ^.^ it is possible that the drivers may be having issues ive been relying on the latest drivers as they check out ok i'll see if i can find an older garuntee'd working video card drivers see how that goes

but id like to say thanks to everyone for all the help and so quick as well i dont really use forums much but im impressed with how helpful this was so thanks again.