PDA

View Full Version : Disk space dissapeared!

Woofer
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
OK this is really weird. Today I deleted stalker clear sky from my hd and i had 10GB free disk space. I decided to download Left 4 Dead again which is around 5 gigs. After I downloaded l4d I had 5GB free space on my hd. I played some l4d and i watched some videos and then I noticed my hd space was gone. I only have 720mb free now. I checked for hidden and temporary files but found nothing, i tried using CCleaner and TuneUp Utilities but that doesn't work either. My partition size is 80gb and i use it only for steam which takes 74gb on my partition, there is nothing else in there except my steam folder. I also tried using the disk cleanup thingy and it said i have 5.3GB unused files. I ran the disk clean up and it compressed most of my steam files and freed up some space but I had to uncompress them so I dont lose performance. What should i do ?

jamesd9007
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
This is your C/system drive right? Remember that Windows page files are on this drive, and if you have hibernation feature enabled, Windows will keep a mirrored image of your entire active RAM content on this drive, hidden.

Woofer
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Its not my C: drive and the page file is on another drive, hibernation is not enabled

Spirit5
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
There's also system restore files that are created, if you don't delete your internet cache or history, that can accumulate. The same thing happens with my C drive on my desktop and I use programs like CC Cleaner and TuneUp Utilities to clean up the drive.

PC_Helper
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
... What should i do ?

Sounds like you need to free some disk space.:p

You could use CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com).

YahooElite
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I Would suspect System Restore.

Perform a Disk Clean up from Windows System Tools or Accessibility menu's and that should solve your problem.

Clearing your System Restore will also help.

Woofer
01-08-2010, 06:19 AM
System restore is disabled, there are no remporary or hidden files, the recycle bin is empty and the page file is on another drive. I deleted opera, firefox and ie cache and deleted all of the temp files but that freed up some space only in my main C partition. When i go to properties on my steam folder it sais its 74,1GB and my partition is 80GB. I'm 100% sure I had around 5 gb free

Washell
01-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Did you use Steam's "Delete local content" or did you manually delete the folder? If you manually deleted the folder Steam may have been busy redownloading Stalker.

If you did use "Delete local content", I personally find that a tool such as Treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml) does wonders to find the culprit.

Woofer
01-08-2010, 06:34 AM
I deleted stalker using delete local content, only the savegames are in the stalker folder now which take like 3mb. I will try the tool you suggested later

EDIT: I ran the treesize tool and it shows that only 74GB on my hd is used and 724mb free, there is also the hidden RECYCLER folder and System Volume Information which were there before but those are 0kb. But in treesize it shows me that the System Volume Information folder is inaccessible. I'll try to see what's in there after i switch to safe mode
EDIT 2: Problem solved. I booted up my windows in safe mode and tried to go to the system volume information folder but it was restricted so i had to add permession in the security tab. After that i deleted all of the old files from that folder (5.3gb) and now my space is back :)