PDA

View Full Version : A new remake of the game in hd?!

Shawis
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Will that happen :P ?

Heard it was one of the best arcade games since it offered alot, but it could use a grapical update and maybe it could be a big seller..???

Like the secret of monkey island..

As far as i can see alot of people wanted it..

Aint it so with this game to if it is better..? :)

Dancing Muton
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
For a long time I thought it might be possible, but not anymore. A proper (3D) remake would cost a lot and I am almost completely sure it wouldn't sell remotely enough to justify it. A 2D remake could work, but I think most big publishers are against 2D. But as you say, MI got remade in 2D, so maybe it could happen.

Edit: That's not to say that a 3D remake will never be possible. I am hoping that somewhere in the future good physics and graphics engines will be cheap enough to make the remake feasible. Right now the development cost is huge.

Fenrakk101
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
UFO: Extraterrestrials is a remake of the original game, with highly updated graphics and such. It's not a perfect replica of the original (It doesn't take place on Earth, not X-Com, etc.) but it's highly similar.

sortedout
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
UFO: Extraterrestrials is a remake of the original game, with highly updated graphics and such. It's not a perfect replica of the original (It doesn't take place on Earth, not X-Com, etc.) but it's highly similar.

worth your time, really only if you install BMAN's mod, otherwise the original/vanilla will stale rather quickly...

sweatie6920
01-23-2010, 06:30 AM
You know the sad fact is, that there have been attempts to remake x-com, but the companys just fell over, and besides that ufo was a unoffcial sequel, but I've never played it, and from from what I've heard its lame.

Fenrakk101
01-23-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't think it's lame, it plays pretty much like the old X-Com (Even the transport looks the same), and it has different aliens than in X-Com. The difference is, it looks more like a 3D environment from an isometric view, not so obviously 2D like X-Com. It also doesn't take place on Earth, at least, not modern-day Earth; the planet is completely different. I also think you get to assault alien bases as well.

sortedout
01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't find it lame either. Also check:

http://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/

AND bman is helping in the development of it!

bman really saved the original ufoEx with his

comprehensive mod.

"UFO2Extraterrestrials Shadows over Earth features:

* A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
* A turn-based “I-Go-You-Go“ tactical squad-based game system
* Interactive environments with destructible terrain.
* A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop
* A large number of aliens to interrogate
* Strong RPG elements where soldiers’ stats improve with experience
* Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights
* Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO:ET Bman Ease of Use Mod."

sweatie6920
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I shall take those comments into consideration, I am a fan of x-com 1-3.

sortedout
01-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I shall take those comments into consideration, I am a fan of x-com 1-3.

uh ok, whatever...:rolleyes:

Fenrakk101
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM

comprehensive mod.

* A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
* Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO:ET Bman Ease of Use Mod."

UFO2ET is a mod for the original? Or a full sequel?

sortedout
01-24-2010, 04:16 PM
no not a mod Fenrakk, bman the modder for the original is tweaking the release of the fullon Shadows over Earth...

check the link

(prequel)

rtv05
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM

comprehensive mod.

Bullshirt! never good as original xcom (ufo enemy unknown)

I realy dont understand this, i guess EVERYONE who is a fan of Xcom would like just a remake of Ufo (xcom1) with just new graphics and resolution, and maybe 1-2 new aliens and weapons, but nobody is doing it.
But you can still playing xcom 1 and have a lot of fun!

vonpaul
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
try some of the UFO series, the are 'spiritual successors' with much better graphics and similiar gameplay http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Aftermath

GraemeH
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
The rumours are that Irrational Games (Bioshock, System Shock 2 et al) are working on a new X-Com game since the rights fell into Take Two's hands through various roundabout means.

Entirely unconfirmed and unsupported, so take it for no more than that.

Honethite
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Half the charm of X-COM are its 2D graphics. ;)

Fenrakk101
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=45797

Shawis
01-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Even tough its a good game i doubt i will buy it even tough its so cheap!

The reason is that it is to old..

But i have lately replayed games like Final fantasy for playstation 1 and Super mario for nintendo 64 who also are old but that i knew long time ago and loved!
I dont think i will get same fellinf with this game..?

Fenrakk101
01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
1) Is this really the right thread to post that in?
2) Whether or not you enjoy it is based on your preferences and opinions.

Shawis
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
1) You are right..

i just read some few post and just random posted here ops! :)

But screew this i think im gonna go for it..

its only about 2 euro/ 14 danish crowns

But should then start with the first one wich is ufo defence???

And i am using vista btw

Fenrakk101
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
UFO Defense is a good place to start :D

Shawis
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
My enginers wont work :S

I placed my base in US but nothing is happening at the moment...

I am reseaching laser with 10 sientist..

But why cant i build new living quaters when i got enough money and enginers..?

Fenrakk101
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Engineers have nothing to do with constructing new buildings. All your living quarters - and other modules, for that matter - must be connected to an existing module.

Dancing Muton
01-31-2010, 03:57 AM
You build new stuff in the base by clicking on the Build facilities button. The facilities have to be connected to ones that have already been built.

The engineers don't have anything to produce in the beginning. Standard human tech can be bought in the Purchase/recruit section. You will use engineers to produce things your scientists research.

Feel free to ask about anything else, I'll be glad to help. :)

Shawis
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Thank you :)

i can see that its a must to use the scientist constantly and i got plenty of them :)

My enginers are starting to produce laser pistols..

My fighting skills sucks..!

At my second fight i lost 7 men and the battle against 3-4 aliens...

Even tough i have more men then them.. THey die instantly when hit and my men aint good shooters...

Any good advice there cause it is bad to loose the second fight on beginer.. :(
When that is said i must say i love this concept..!

Fenrakk101
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
When you enter the Battlescape, ALWAYS save before anything else. That way, if you DO lose 7 men, you get to retry.
Also, how are you moving troops? Are you moving them as far as possible out into the open? If they have extra move points at the end of the turn, they get to shoot an extra shot if they see an alien during the alien turn. Also, you'll want to have your troops crouch when they're done moving. Make sure they're facing outwards towards where aliens might be. It's also a good idea to keep your troops against walls at all times.
Hope this helps :D

Shawis
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Well i got them all out and spread them like some to the right / middle / left of the ramp and in the start theere was a alien there who killed 2-3 guys right there even tough it was 7 vs 1...

i just cant kill the alien before it kills some of my men..

And sometimes i cant shoot but stil have some action points left.. what should i press so they all can shoot the alien at the begining of their round when like 4-5 marines are in range to shoot..?

Fenrakk101
01-31-2010, 11:31 AM
You need a certain amount of action points to shoot. I believe a Snap Shot (Highly inaccurate, but low cost) is about 13 AP, so you need to make sure you have 13 AP to fire. If you want your trooper to fire at aliens during the enemy turn, he/she needs to have 13 AP at the end of your turn. They also need to be facing the enemy, so if your troops are all facing east and an alien attacks from the west, nobody gets to fire at it. If the alien is out of range, and all you see are shots flying towards your troops out of nowhere, send a man in that direction until he spots the alien. At that point, any soldier with a line of sight on the alien can fire, even though they couldn't see it before. Note that it's often best to turn in place instead of moving to turn.

Shawis
01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
If theere are few places where the aliens can come from should i then just use the auto shoot thing when they come and just camp..???

Fenrakk101
01-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Where the aliens spawn appears to be completely random. They are all on the level from the start. They don't "Appear", they move around and fire. And it's more likely that the aliens are camping you anyway.

Shawis
01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
But i stil dont understand how i could lose.. :S

Do you live close to DEnmark ?

Could be great if you would come and show me quick how o play thiS :D

But maybe my standard weapons sucks???

And i cant buy body armor for some reason???

Fenrakk101
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm American, bro.

It would, but I don't have the money or time to cross an ocean

They're not so bad, and you're bound to have to use them for the first few missions.

No body armor is available. After a UFO Crash Site, you might recover Alien Alloys, and the ability to Research them. Once you research the Alien Alloys, you van research Personal Armour. After you research the armor, you can manufacture armor at the base.

Dancing Muton
02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Like I said, X-Com is a hard game. It will take you time to learn playing it properly and even then you will lose troops, so get used to it. The brilliant thing about the game is that even when facing heavy losses, you can recover. That's a sign of good design.

A few things worth mentioning. In X-COM Action Points are called Time Units (TUs). You may not always shoot during alien turns. The stat that controls this is called Reactions. You can see your soldiers' stats in the Soldiers screen in the base or by clicking the soldier's rank when on a mission. The Reactions stat determines what the chance that your soldier will fire at the alien during the alien turn is. I don't know the exact formula, so I'll just direct you to www.ufopaedia.org. Obviously, even if your soldier shoots, he may not hit, depending on his Firing Accuracy.

Lukage86
06-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The rumours are that Irrational Games (Bioshock, System Shock 2 et al) are working on a new X-Com game since the rights fell into Take Two's hands through various roundabout means.

Entirely unconfirmed and unsupported, so take it for no more than that.

Confirmed now. :) Enjoy

Telkanes
06-06-2010, 06:14 AM
there are also plenty of "how to play" videos on You tube :)

andrewas
06-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Well i got them all out and spread them like some to the right / middle / left of the ramp and in the start theere was a alien there who killed 2-3 guys right there even tough it was 7 vs 1...

i just cant kill the alien before it kills some of my men..

Sometimes you are doomed to lose soldiers, particularly early one when you have the most basic equipment and don't know what the aliens can do.

But if you don't advance too quickly, you should be able to put up a good fight at least. Use cover, use smoke grenades, and try to have your best shots behind your front lines so that your scouts - soldiers with poor stats - take the most fire.

And sometimes i cant shoot but stil have some action points left.. what should i press so they all can shoot the alien at the begining of their round when like 4-5 marines are in range to shoot..?

That cannot be done. If you don't have the TUs to take a shot now, you won't have the TUs to make a reaction shot.

Just accept that you are going to lose soliders - everyone takes casualties unless they radically abuse the save functions, which takes the fun out of the game. Concentrate on retrieving alien artifacts and getting personal armour and laser rifles researched - that will give your troops a chance of surviving plasma fire and enough firepower to kill most alien units fairly quickly.

Aristoi
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Xenonauts might be worth checking out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/16/xenonauts-capitalizes-on-xcom-rage/

The website itself has a lot more info about the game: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Biologica
06-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Xenonauts might be worth checking out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/16/xenonauts-capitalizes-on-xcom-rage/

The website itself has a lot more info about the game: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Yes please!

Cadfael
06-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Bman is working on UFO2! Sweet, good news.

Shawls, if you use the bMan mod you can tweak some things to make the game easier, especially at the beginning. Tweak/cheat see it how you will. For instance you can adjust detection distance and make the aliens only see as well as you, or worse.