PDA

View Full Version : GTA4: Broken heli section of final two missions.

wures7
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey folks. This is going to be my very first post here on this game. I can't find any old threads regarding the issue. I purchased this game during last months holiday sale for $7 and just got to the final two missions. This was a really great game. I wasn't too ticked about the steep system requirements as long as the game was playable at the settings I wanted. Running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Q8400 @ 3.34Ghz, 4GB RAM, and GTX 260.

But then I got to the final two missions and OMG! First, I picked the deal mission. I landed in the water, waited for Dimitri to shoot his first rocket before jumping in the boat, chased him, and got onto Jacob's heli. As soon as I grabbed the controls to the heli, Dimitri's heli crash lands somewhere in Downtown with two guys alive and invulnerable. Not only that, the camera refuses to focus from the rear of the heli preventing me to see where I'm going. I replayed the mission and get the same problem.

So on the third go of the deal mission, I tried something different. This time after falling into the water, I immediately got onto the boat(not waiting for him to shoot his first rocket) to chase his heli immediately. Now when I got onto Jacob's heli, as soon as I grabbed the controls, Niko hadn't finished saying his first sentence before getting the Dimitri got away and mission fail message.

Alright so now I picked the revenge mission. I jumped the ramp with the bike and grabbed onto the heli. But this time, I tried twice and I can't even climb up into the heli at all falling into the water after slamming the spacebar like a mofo.

Then I just gave up and went to Youtube to watch the ending. It was only $7 and I pretty much finished 99% of the game so I'm not going to pick fights with Rockstar.

Kea Black
01-11-2010, 03:55 AM
same problem with the mission Out of Commission, can't climb up into the helicopter

alexkapi12
01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
same problem with the mission Out of Commission, can't climb up into the helicopter

It's a common bug:

There is also an easier solution for this problem. Make sure that you have selected somewhat resource-consuming game settings (with my i7 920 and HD 4890 I use almost the highest settings to get about 60fps ). Then play normally until you get to the screen where you are supposed to tap the space bar repeatedly. Now pause the game and open Task manager and find process named GTAIV.exe. Using the "Set affinity" option, let the game use only one CPU core. Then get back to the game, unpause and try to tap the space bar as fast as possible. When you get to the helicopter, pause again and let the game use all the cores. At least on my machine that is enough to do the trick...

I found it athttp://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=404808

neelzfinch
01-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks. This worked! Now I have only one more thing to worry about: the helicopter controls :)

Who knows how to handle the helicopter? It seems that the controls are different than in the previous heli missions.

wures7
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks. This worked! Now I have only one more thing to worry about: the helicopter controls :)

Who knows how to handle the helicopter? It seems that the controls are different than in the previous heli missions.

Are you talking about the controls or the camera? The heli is unflyable with the mouse. I just use the numpad but my problem was that the camera would always focus on side of the heli in this mission.

politelyerased
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
It's a common bug:

wow, I was looking all over for this when I was playing through it a few months ago. I went through all sorts of **** trying to get into that damn helicopter lol. Thanks

l4d3r0cks123
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM

I rebinded the controls for the heli:

WASD for moving around

Numpad 8 for going up
Numpad 2 for going down
Numpad 4 to roll left
Numpad 6 to roll right

Left Ctrl for shooting

Helped me a lot :)

wures7
01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Okay. I just completed both the deal and revenge missions. I went into the link that Alex posted and tried one of the suggestions within it. I didn't rebind any keys and I didn't go into the task manager to modify the core usage. What fixed it was that I brought down each display setting down a notch so that the memory usage meter went into the green. Before, it was about 100MB VRAM into the red. Strangely, this fixed every single bug I listed in my first post.

I also had a similar problem at the very last mission of Modern Warfare 2 where it crashed before a cutscene. Bringing down the display settings fixed that as well.

MaximusPM
02-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I got this 'dimitri heli crashing downtown and becoming invunerable' bug once, but I just restarted the mission and it worked...

Masterclown
02-04-2010, 06:30 AM
It's a common bug:

Thanks for the link, I had gotten stuck there too. rep+

Isaac_theman
02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Every time I do this mission, I have the same helicopter camera problem. The game only runs without crashing if I have the second patch installed, so the options added in the newer patches are unavailable. I try to follow Dimitri's helicopter, but the camera does not follow behind my helicopter. I found I could try to follow him using the minimap to see and the keyboard only to steer, but I always fail. I can't see anything. Anyone figure this out?

mortalhuman
02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Game is designed for 30 fps. Should limit it and you will be very happy with GTA, way more happy than messy high fps ;)

Shinigamius
03-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks!

But I found an easier solution:
I attached a macros to a button.
Macros - *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE* *SPACE*
Just held that mouse button. Worked like a charm :cool:
I used logitech software because both my KB and mouse are made by Logitech.

30 fps expectation explains it and proposed solution should work. Thanks!
Too bad I didn't look at this search result earlier :p
I pressed space bar like 8 times per second (10+ should have been enough) but my macros did it 124 times per second :cool:

Verwandlung
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
The Fraps method worked perfectly for me.

samfisherand
11-30-2011, 08:08 AM
It's a common bug:

This needs to be on the first page cos it's a very common bug and this fixed it!

forceNet
12-31-2011, 05:02 AM
solution
thanks.
should be put in a sticky.