PDA

View Full Version : This game needs a price drop. Yes, this soon.

Valcutio
01-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Just based on the reviews, I have to wonder if this game would do MUCH better if it were priced around $40.00 - it would help seperate it from the pack. As it stands I don't see it really competing with the bigger games launching this month. Maybe I'm just being cynical. Thoughts?

StarkeRealm
01-12-2010, 03:55 AM
I don't think you're being cynical. With the current economic state it is awfully hard to justify $50 on a second tier release like this. The game is fantastic, but, it would probably fair far better if it had been introduced as a budget game, like Torchwood was.

The cost of a game really does inform a lot of how we value the game's worth. I'm not regreting laying out $50 on it, but in my case I was taking a calculated gamble, and I know a lot of people who simply can't afford to gamble $50 on the quality of a game.

Honestly, this should have entered the market at $30 for PC, and $40 for 360. I think those are probably the best price to sales ratio. Though, at 20/30 it might have managed to really make some numbers for itself.

That said, I can completly understand a company's redluctance to ship at those prices, especially for a minor publisher like DTP.

JoeB
01-12-2010, 05:32 AM
That prices is what is holding me off as well. After trying the demo, I do admit that it's very fun but not for $50 when there are other games that I KNOW will be worth that price when they come out. Namely Assassin's Creed II and Bioshock 2.

unstable
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
from my experience from devine divinity and beyond divinity you arnt getting some 12 hour game that should have been 20 bucks. you are getting a unique playing experience as well as a long story line. spells, story line, voice interactions. i rember when these types of games are the standard. now they are too expensive unless you can tack on a subscription to the damn game. i bought this game and am happy with the price, as i feel that it was worth it.
dont get me wrong i would love to spend less money but that goes for everything. a good game deserves being bought as the price impacts the next game that is made.

StarkeRealm
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, if I came across as saying I didn't feel the game was worth $50 dollars. That's not what I meant at all. What I meant was this game should have been priced lower in order to entice more customers.

Jigoku
01-15-2010, 05:50 AM
I think in this age of digital distribution, developers need to realise the importance is in money brought in, not profit per copy. Sell 10,000 copies at $50 or 50,000 at $30. It's not like there is a cost to produce each item.

That said, I do not regret paying "full" price for this game. I'm really enjoying it.

DiceDuP
01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
This game is worth the value. I also took time to buy this as I wasn't overly impressed by the demo but I replayed it further and felt the game would be worth it.

15+ hours into the game within a couple of days and I do not regret a single penny of the cost. Some people sound as if this game isn't doing well but it is, it is available for sale retail aswell as digitally in many places other than Steam and has been high on charts across the seperate download and buying locations, it just hasn't been pushed or advertised enough to give it the advertising levity of titles such as Dragon Age etc.

It no doubt will eventually get a discount somewhere if not here, but most games do, and when this one does get reduced it won't bother me a bit that I paid the money I did - which in this day and age isn't often something I say as I've been let down by many titles in the last year.

Farlong
01-15-2010, 03:15 PM
15+ hours into the game within a couple of days and I do not regret a single penny of the cost.

I'll just wait here until you get to the end.

Cunk
01-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I too am waiting for this to drop below $40. I might even wait until it's under $30. This is mostly due to the fact that I can't afford to be blowing a lot of money on games these days. If this was a year or two ago I wouldn't hesitate to drop $50 on this game but these days I need to shop for bargains.

epitaxial
01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll just wait here until you get to the end.

The end isn't bad as a lot of people complain about. It does a great job at setting up the next release.

I do agree - $50 in this day and age for a digital copy is a bit greedy - $39.99 is a more realistic price tag.

Jenge
01-16-2010, 07:31 AM
+1 to waiting for a price of (at the most) $40

david_grove
01-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Playing the demo it looks cool, but its sadly fallen into the category of generic fantasy action RPG, which seems to be what every fantasy game is these days. I'll wait for the price to drop as I've already got a whole host of other games I'm waiting to purchase.

velvetmeds
01-17-2010, 04:15 AM
a weekend deal would be nice, i'd buy it if it was 66% off.

infernox3470
01-17-2010, 01:41 PM
If Mass Effect 2 wasn't coming out so soon I would buy this game. I still will at some point though.

$50 is a fair price to ask considering the size and scope of the game. It may not be as polished as some big titles coming out this month but it is not a bad game and well worth the price.

Although, $40 might convince more people to take the plunge.

Samomocath
02-04-2010, 02:26 AM
this game is $37 at amazon right now, yeah it's not steam but if you wanted it badly, has no DRM according to posts there.

Kexin
04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I had my eye on this game for a while now, but there's no way I'm paying more than $30 for this game. It's time for a price drop.

Jigoku
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
but there's no way I'm paying more than $30 for this game.
Why not? I got more than 54 enjoyable hours out of a single playthrough and I intend to go back at some point and try out a new character build ...

Rhezuss
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Why not? I got more than 54 enjoyable hours out of a single playthrough and I intend to go back at some point and try out a new character build ...

Same. This game, even tho it's not as polished as NA RPGs, is one hell of a good game and for me, well worth the original price I paid (49.99).

FroggystyleXZ95
05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I had my eye on this game for a while now, but there's no way I'm paying more than $30 for this game. It's time for a price drop.

I got it at Wal-mart for 30 bucks because they had a price drop. I was waiting for it to go down so I didn't spend a ton of money on a possibly crappy game. But after having played it, I would gladly spend 50 bucks on it, it has so much content, it's fantastic.

tardwrangler
05-08-2010, 05:49 AM
It's $30 over at Direct 2 Drive until Monday 1PM EST.

If you dont want it from D2D a D2D price drop usually indicates a Steam drop is right around the corner and vice versa.

ch0pper
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Had this game on wishlist for a while. Would buy it with a 50% discount.

McTecman
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
The game is around 25 dollars (20 euros) in Tier 2 Europe, if you have friends there. :)

edit: http://www.steamprices.com/eu2/topsavings