PDA

View Full Version : Dark Void: A game sent to die...thanks Capcom

KeyThree
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
If you've played Crimson Skies HRTR for the original Xbox and loved it, boy are you in for a real treat. The aerial combat and controls are phenominal, the music is top notch and the main protagonist is voiced by Nolan North, need I say more.

The problem is that no one is playing this game and I blame it all on Capcom's abysmal marketing, I mean come on Capcom, Steam didn't even have a one day header for this game and there was no preorder available. It's like Capcom sent this game to die and it's unfortunate because Airtight Games made a product that performs great on the PC and also happens to be one hell of a game. AVP and Bioshock 2 to are getting proper marketing treatment with preorder bonuses and large steam storefront banners. This is how you sell a game Capcom.

To make matters worse Metacritic already had an average for this game before the release date and was somehow published on Steam's storefront before a purchase price for Dark Void was listed. The sad thing is that the majority of gamers justify their purchase based on the Metascore. That drives me bat♥♥♥♥ insane but that website and its blight on gaming is a topic for another thread.

It would be truly devastating to see another western studio bite the dust(ala grin)because of Capcoms inability to publish a game not made in Japan.

so0ky
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I couldn't play this game because I have to pay for college books this semester.

Once I get the money though, you better believe I am buying this game.

KeyThree
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I couldn't play this game because I have to pay for college books this semester.

Once I get the money though, you better believe I am buying this game.

Oh man, having so much fun with it. Damn books are sooooo expensive, I feel your pain:(

Bulletbrain7
01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
There is no metacritic score on the store page ATM.

gijas04
01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
this game sucks, forget it.

KeyThree
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
There is no metacritic score on the store page ATM.

Ya I noticed that b4 but it was up on the page hours before release.

so0ky
01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Elaborate on why the game sucks.

Cause the demo was fun.

ArcAngel33
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Just passed chapter one, I'm definitely on the like it boat. Reminds me of Mass Effect in an odd way - shiny robots and ships, creepy monster things, a jetpack (in ME it just looks like a jetpack), cover system and a lot of spray and pray. Using 360 controller and I find it tight, auto-aim is almost nonexistent but still helpful. Paid for it in retail because it was cheaper before CAN-US conversion. Demo is not very flattering, just gives you an idea what the flight feel is like.

darkstrikerds
01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
On the whole, the game is fine. The engine and game play are pretty good. As I mentioned in another post, the story rather lacks...and does seem like someone said, "Screw it. We have an engine. No time for story. Just sell the damn thing." And, on the two computers I tried the game on, PhysX seems to be a bit bugged (shooting the particles from turning on PhysX seemed to create more...so, in a big firefight, with lots of particles, the game would crash). Other than that, the rocket pack is a novel gameplay mechanic...and kind of fun...I just wish there was more story to play with it in.

I do wish there was less auto-aim, or at least an option to disable it (I miss a lot more with auto-aim systems...no idea why). But I agree, the enemies look a lot like Geth.

Not sure who to blame for the lack of story, Capcom or Airtight...but at least the engine is fairly solid....and the jetpack thing gives a bit of a thrill.

Alienware Gamer
01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Persevere until Episode2 starts as the first Episode is slow & the worse looking one (each world is called an episode here and comprises of at least 6 levels or chapters).

Once you reach Episode 2 Chapter1 onwards the graphics suddenly change to some of the best UT3 gfx you have seen (yes including Batman:AA).

Some fool made a massive mistake in releasing the Demo as that's made up of different parts of the early levels so is not a good way to judge the game as it improves a lot & the demo is a June 2009 build originally meant for E3 2009!!!

This is a decent game but the reviewers either got a crappy alpha build or no guidelines on which levels to play so reviewed it on the early levels for only a few mins then gave up as the first few mins are strange but once the game slowly introduces the rocketpack & other elements it improves a lot. Only at the start of Episode2 do you even get the full rocketpack capability anyway! (Boba Fett would be happy shall we say.....)

Darksider1972
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Persevere until Episode2 starts as the first Episode is slow & the worse looking one (each world is called an episode here and comprises of at least 6 levels or chapters).

Once you reach Episode 2 Chapter1 onwards the graphics suddenly change to some of the best UT3 gfx you have seen (yes including Batman:AA).

Some fool made a massive mistake in releasing the Demo as that's made up of different parts of the early levels so is not a good way to judge the game as it improves a lot & the demo is a June 2009 build originally meant for E3 2009!!!

This is a decent game but the reviewers either got a crappy alpha build or no guidelines on which levels to play so reviewed it on the early levels for only a few mins then gave up as the first few mins are strange but once the game slowly introduces the rocketpack & other elements it improves a lot. Only at the start of Episode2 do you even get the full rocketpack capability anyway! (Boba Fett would be happy shall we say.....)

It's a decent game but at the same time it's storytelling and missions are very generic nothing new we have not seen before.. Mouse handling of the character as he jumps into fly mode in the jetpack is annoying as hell you can't control him too well in those first few seconds until he get's going, I don't know if it supposed to be like that in game or just an oversight the people at Airtight Games missed. Overall I give it a solid B- and wait for a sale to purchase this game.

JoeB
01-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Just passed chapter one, I'm definitely on the like it boat. Reminds me of Mass Effect in an odd way - shiny robots and ships, creepy monster things, a jetpack (in ME it just looks like a jetpack), cover system and a lot of spray and pray. Using 360 controller and I find it tight, auto-aim is almost nonexistent but still helpful. Paid for it in retail because it was cheaper before CAN-US conversion. Demo is not very flattering, just gives you an idea what the flight feel is like.

Except unlike Mass Effect (and even Gears of War for that matter), you get a jet-pack (which feels more like a double jump and hover component) and you both hide behind cover (ledges) and shoot VERTICALLY at times which I've never seen ever done in these types of games before.

Getting in close for some awesome melee sequences was nice too and the developers did the RIGHT thing by not having quick time events so you can actually sit back, relax, and watch the pre-rendered cutscenes.

One of the highlights I've seen so far was slowly descending to the ground with the Jetpack while already having to aim and shoot enemies on the ground far below.

JTWibble
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
There is no metascore for the game yet, but it has had some reviews:

Gamespot - 6.5 / 10
IGN - 5.0 / 10
GameSpy - 3 / 5
PC Zone - 53 / 100

LupinMupin
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Ive been playing for a while, Its not THAT bad accualy. I kinda like the action.

Nomak02
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I've been playing it and although this isn't a life changing OMG you have to get this kinda game it is darn fun. Would definitely call it a purchasable game or at least a rentable game by far.

TwwIX
01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
This game is mediocre and forgettable. I can't believe Kim Swift left Valve to work for this piss poor developer.

Vargre
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I dunno, I downloaded the demo and wasnt impressed, but reading some of the comments, about the early build and how the demo was set up, Im thinking another look might be in order. The problem is, for me anyhow, I usually wont take one single critics opinion on a game. But so far every review ive read (and seriously, send me a link if there is a good, positive review) has been in the low mid to low level scores. And their descriptions of the game in the review (im not just going by numbers) sound a bit monotonous. They describe the vertical combat as being more a pain than being unique, and the weapons seem pretty lame. Upgrades are low, and ultimately a melee attack is more effective than any of the weapons otherwise. That said, they do give props to the flight but they have claimed that its a good 2 hrs into the game before you even get the jet pack, and by that time you've been numbed by all the repetition on foot. Now let me repeat, I have NOT played anything beyond the demo. I could be missing out on a seriously amazing game. But so far, those are the things that have kept me from buying it...well, that and buying ME2 and AvP.

Alienchild
01-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Let me give you the best tip in level making there is (since there are obviously a few developers desperately trying to get people to buy their game); a level that tells a story is a lot more interesting then a level that is just an obstacle course with enemies (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/45710/ss_255c346583ab953e5b073e2c8c13b5d0612ef463.1024x7 68.jpg?t=1263940931). If it is an obstacle course, you could at least try not to hide it, and make it fun and interesting (and add some story to the scenery (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/oct07/valve/portal/port21.jpg)).

There is a reason Bioshock got away with being just another hallway shooter. The hallways looked amazing. Not because of the number of polygons on-screen, but because the graphics capabilities was used to create a world that was interesting. A city under water... holy cow, awesome! Scenery that tells a story... sweet! This image tells a story. (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/913/913445/bioshock-20080924112007529_640w.jpg) This image tells me there is no story, or its extremely uninteresting. (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/45710/ss_05ba98042248ebbb4ad5a92849efab9a36129d16.1024x7 68.jpg?t=1263940931)

nutcrackr
01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I don't think marketing is 100% responsible. But sure if you pump 216 million into marketing like Activision did with MW2 then you'd see more sales.

I think Capcom just wanted to slide it in the release list and have people buy it. If your budget is low (inc marketing) then you don't have to sell nearly as many copies to make money, which is their current target.

This is vital for true stinkers, games that wouldn't sell well with lots of marketing and would just lose even more money.

I've played the demo on PS3 and I thought it was terrible (really worst game I've played in years). I played through it twice and nothing changed my opinion. I'm glad it works good on PCs and looks fine, Capcom have been doing good ports of late I guess.

I do certainly agree that some games aren't rated fairly on sites like metacritic and using it to purchase games is a little sad. At the same time I really don't get the attitude of PC gamers that approach games that are good ports with mediocre gameplay as something worthy of purchasing though.

Nolan North voices everything these days, the bad and the good. In this case it's the bad. I suspect the dev team will not have a good time in 2010.

NKC42
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Eh, I don't really care if it sucks or not anymore since I just picked it up on a whim to tide me over till Mass Effect 2 unlocks.

wipeout364
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Let me give you the best tip in level making there is (since there are obviously a few developers desperately trying to get people to buy their game); a level that tells a story is a lot more interesting then a level that is just an obstacle course with enemies (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/45710/ss_255c346583ab953e5b073e2c8c13b5d0612ef463.1024x7 68.jpg?t=1263940931). If it is an obstacle course, you could at least try not to hide it, and make it fun and interesting (and add some story to the scenery (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/oct07/valve/portal/port21.jpg)).

There is a reason Bioshock got away with being just another hallway shooter. The hallways looked amazing. Not because of the number of polygons on-screen, but because the graphics capabilities was used to create a world that was interesting. A city under water... holy cow, awesome! Scenery that tells a story... sweet! This image tells a story. (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/913/913445/bioshock-20080924112007529_640w.jpg) This image tells me there is no story, or its extremely uninteresting. (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/45710/ss_05ba98042248ebbb4ad5a92849efab9a36129d16.1024x7 68.jpg?t=1263940931)

Great post with good points. I have to say though I am really enjoying the game. Not a triple A title but certainly entertaining. It is a great combination of a a lot of play mechanics. I hope it does well but I feel it will be a major bomb like bionic commando(although that game probably deserved not to be a hit).

NKC42
01-24-2010, 09:13 PM
After playing for a few hours up to chapter 2 I gotta say I'm having more fun with this than I though I would. Pleasantly surprised, in fact. It's certainly not great, but blowing away tons of robots with a big beefy gun that shoots explosive bullets seems to make up for all it's clunkiness.

It's a bit too expensive for what it is though, it should have been 20 bucks or less.

Zephon
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM

Sometimes an obstical course with enemies is exactly what people need to wind down, although these days people want those enemies to be other people. If i want a great story that will draw me in I'll play an RPG or read a book.

The way you chose those pictures were clearly biased.. no shush!.. yes they were. there are a plenty of screens you could have grabbed from all 3 of those games that could make or break the point, but you were trying to make one so cheers!

I'll admit the game isnt anything special. It doesnt bring anything new to the table, and while a jetpack is cool, playwise its nothing we havnt seen before.

But for everything this game isnt .. its still fun.

kinda thought that was the point of a game...

darkstrikerds
01-25-2010, 07:13 PM

No, the point of a game these days is to be a copy of everything else. Ideally, you want that copy to be a full on orgy of competition.

We stopped marketing games as fun around 7 years ago.

I agree, though. I had fun. It was short lived, but still fun.

Alienchild
01-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Sometimes an obstical course with enemies is exactly what people need to wind down, although these days people want those enemies to be other people. If i want a great story that will draw me in I'll play an RPG or read a book.

The way you chose those pictures were clearly biased.. no shush!.. yes they were. there are a plenty of screens you could have grabbed from all 3 of those games that could make or break the point, but you were trying to make one so cheers!

I'll admit the game isnt anything special. It doesnt bring anything new to the table, and while a jetpack is cool, playwise its nothing we havnt seen before.

If I wanna play a game just to wind down, I'll grab a cheap indie title like World of Goo or Crayon Physics. If I wanna blow $50 (40 euros) on a game I'll get a game with a more interesting story.

Also, which of these screenshots available on Steam looks interesting to you? Perhaps the first one of the jetpack flying dude... but the others looks like any generic title running on a fairly modern engine. Which other AAA title (which Dark Void are supposed to be) produces such bland visual style?

cadpig
01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
There is no metascore for the game yet, but it has had some reviews:

Gamespot - 6.5 / 10
IGN - 5.0 / 10
GameSpy - 3 / 5
PC Zone - 53 / 100

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/darkvoid?q=dark%20void

metacritic score 59 Mixed or average reviews

Waiting for a Xmas or Weekend sale of 75% off :cool:

DorianGray
01-27-2010, 10:07 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/darkvoid?q=dark%20void

metacritic score 59 Mixed or average reviews

Waiting for a Xmas or Weekend sale of 75% off :cool:
Metascores don't mean jack. The game is in no way broken whatsoever and it's a lot of fun. The critics were extremely over the top harsh on this game and I personally am very glad I bought this game. Most people who don't like this game are either graphics ♥♥♥♥♥s and people who are use the cover system. The game is about the jetpack, use it. If you over use the cover system you are ruining your experience... Then it's like every other TPS and it's boring then.

Anyway, there are problems with the game.. I'll give them that, but in no way does this game deserve a 59 out of 100. This is at least a 7.5 to 8.5 game.

The main things that need changed on this game is the melee system and I think bosses. I'd love to see however a system where you can blow off their limbs.. Would add a lot of realism to the game when fighting.

Anyway, you can wait for a sale... it's whatever. Personally there was no other game than this one I was interested in getting that doesn't come out for a few months. The next game I'm getting is Red Steel 2, can't wait...

Spookerton
01-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Honestly?

Exceptionally average. Nothing this game does has not been done before, and everything it does has been done better.

Whether the game functions or not is not at issue; it's just not worth it as a game, because while function it does (I'm glad at least for that, since the UK price is numerically the same; but the money's worth more), Dark Void is not fun.

It sucks time. It engages you while you use it; however, you won't be thanking yourself for using it (play is too strong a word), and you won't be getting that time back that would be better spent with a cheaper, better game.

I think IGN's reviewer said it best:
Dark Void is all over the place. The story’s never explained adequately, the combat’s pretty much always a chore, and flying isn’t nearly as fun as it should be. I don’t hate Dark Void, but I don’t care for it, either. This is one of those titles that just exists; I doubt few will remember it this time next year.

Would not recommend, except on sale. A really big sale.

Fiszy
07-23-2010, 05:46 AM
The game is decent fun. Worth 7€ or so, you'll get a nice day or two worth of playtime from it.