PDA

View Full Version : No connection with Steam

xtaz
01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey, I just tried to log on to my Steam account but it says that there is no connection. Is it just me or are there others who have the same problem? There is nothing wrong with my internet because I'm writing this now. I can only go offline into Steam for the moment.

AvengerUK
01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Yea me too

thewarface
01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Yep...same problem. Two people here having same exact issues. Cannot connect to Steam.

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Same with me.

ultio
Yeah, in the middle of a CoD game my connection broke up and now I can't reconnect at all. Some friends however are online and can play without any problems.

Slagroomnl
I have the same problem. I didn't mess with my router, my Internet is working fine as usual, but Steam just won't connect.

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Happened when I switched my download location to the UK.

Shralla
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, they must be messing with something at Steam headquarters.

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Bingo! Switched mine to Ireland and now steam runs fine!

xtaz
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Seems to work fine now, didn't change a thing though.

ultio
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Happened when I switched my download location to the UK.

Looks like it's all your fault ;).

Nah, but this seems like when all the Steamservers were down because of the power failure that was caused by a hurricane or something like that. But I thought that they had placed additional servers at different locations to avoid something like this... Might be a soft- or hardware problem, I mean, if this was on purpose they probably would have announced it.
And it still doesn't work for me.

Looks like it's similiar to what happened two days (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13214400&postcount=159) ago. They're probably already onto it.

Slagroomnl
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Me neither, switching countries doesn't work.

satchef1
01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Really wish I'd read this thread before I deleter ClientRegistry, can't even access offline mode now :(

Steam still seems to be running though, and I know some people are still in-game.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I guess valve just hate some of us :p...

xLuBux
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
ehm..any news??

Alcoholic_Llama
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank Gabe it's not just me. Yesterday my damned router wouldn't allow through http traffic so I couldn't use internet browsers but I could still use torrents and other internet services.

When I got disconnected from Steam just now I thought it had decided to block Steam traffic too. I was about to smash it with a hammer. Good thing I checked the forums first.

Slagroomnl
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Heh, yeah I too make a habit of running to the forums to see if other people share the same problems before freaking out.

Well, guess I'll check back in a few hours.

Schnibob
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Thank god for that, I thought it was just me.

BTW I can't go into offline mode... it just tells me:

"This operation cannot be completed in offline mode."

Stupid bloody computers.

Flaps
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I cant connect either :(

Any official updates on this?

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I cant connect either :(

Any official updates on this?

Mass effect 2 was at 94 freaking % too...

xLuBux
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Go Valve..fix us :[

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Gah, to think... I could be shooting aliens right now.

Flaps
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Mass effect 2 was at 94 freaking % too...

eek!
That must be painful :/

TinGears
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
eek!
That must be painful :/

Owch, I remember the days when if you exited steam you had to start a download again.

An 11GB file at 256kbs is painfull.

Atomic Hamster
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Phew! Glad I checked on here as I thought it was my PC.

Flaps
01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I had an itching for MW2 all day at work today (especially with a 360 nub going on to me all day about it lol).. now i can't play

booooo!

Would be nice though if an official could let us know what was going on and a possible fix time

xLuBux
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Any valve staffer here? :( Let us know about it! :(

geniusreddy
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Happening to me too.

pastuh
01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SPARTA!

Not works ;/

Keitosha
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Can't connect either. Says i have no internet, while my internet is running fine. Can't connect on 3 pc's and my wife also can't connect on her account. Changing regions in offline mode also doesn't work.

Dartuk
01-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Same here got "connection error" i think alot off people have the same problem the support page is taking ages to load

xLuBux
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote with Dartuk lol...let's fix this :[

Bucket Christ
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Internet works fine, Steam does not connect for me either.

I am using Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)?? Don't know if that makes a difference.

Probability
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
same here!! please help

btdown
Says I'm not connected to internet either...even though I'm writing this message. An update or notice from Valve would be really nice. I just spent $300 for a Trek game/subscription that i would really like to use while I have a day off.

xLuBux
I've Windows Vista..it's not an O/S problem..i think that's a Steam Problem :(

Flaps
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Internet works fine, Steam does not connect for me either.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)?? Don't know if that makes a difference.

Using the same... but I highly doubt it is an OS problem, when it says that the connection is offline.

Please Valve! Help us poor gamers out and tell us what is happening :(

Biggiesized
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm getting the same error as well. I haven't had this kind of problem in a long, long time. I don't have PeerBlock or anything like that blocking Steam from operating correctly either.

Peewi
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I can't connect to Steam either. There's some sense of comfort knowing it's not a problem on my end.

jcheneler
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
i cant get into steam either, typical as its the 1st night of star trek online

Kyias
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Just posting here to make it visually that I cannot connect either...

As per my luck, it could only happen on a day I have off and was excited to play something

(star trek online)

dale0404
i cant get into steam either, typical as its the 1st night of star trek online

Tell me about it!

rapidedge
delete ClientRegistry.blob in ur steam folder, fixed it for me.

AvaMods|COLTRON
Using the same... but I highly doubt it is an OS problem, when it says that the connection is offline.

Please Valve! Help us poor gamers out and tell us what is happening :(

there are 30 people here complaining about the same thing, and youre contemplating it being an os problem. interesting.

one reason steam is ♥♥♥kin terrible, they cant just say "hey were working on this" no, god no, its "you arent connected to the internet"

right.

Bucket Christ
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Wait, here is a weird thing.

My computer with Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) does not connect, but the computer with XP (32-bit) DOES connect.

???

Anybody else seeing similar things?

alex2005
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I cant login either, wtf...

AvaMods|COLTRON
01-29-2010, 11:13 AM

also, this worked perfectly.

good thing steam tells people not to do it.

mindcrash
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Steam won't even start in offline mode here... why does it do a network check even in offline mode :(

Removing ClientRegistry.blob fixed it. Did some update screw things up a bit?

kimr120
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
thanks dude! :D

Flaps
01-29-2010, 11:16 AM
there are 30 people here complaining about the same thing, and youre contemplating it being an os problem. interesting.

one reason steam is ♥♥♥kin terrible, they cant just say "hey were working on this" no, god no, its "you arent connected to the internet"

right.

erm

read my post...

I said i HIGHLY DOUBT it's an OS problem
how can I be contemplating that it is??
please learn to read before you flame.

p.s. if you dont like steam, don't use it... simple

Biggiesized
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you!

Confirmed that it worked for me on my Vista 64-bit Ultimate SP2.

Cid_X
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Cannot connect from St. Louis, MO.

Ghadzoeux
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Deleting clientregistry.blob didn't improve anything here...

fuzznight
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
same problem. deleting ClientRegistry does nothing but give a different error message.

geniusreddy
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Same here...deleting clientregistry.blob didn't do anything for me...it re-downloads and just says the same thing.

Biggiesized
To be clear, I deleted ClientRegistry.blob then ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner. This cleaned up 237 errors related to .blob extensions, etc. and now I'm back online.

If you guys have CCleaner, give that a whirl.

Zero Ame
yeah i got this issue as well..

Kyias
same problem. deleting ClientRegistry does nothing but give a different error message.

same happened to me:

say "ok I recognize your error" the ok button, then connect again. Connecting a second time worked for me.

Ashman
01-29-2010, 11:21 AM
So let me get this straight...

You purchase many games on Steam, including Company Of Heroes (which I'd done so this week as it was going cheap). You don't get much chance to play it because you always seem to be at work in the week and then when you finally finish work for the weekend you think you'll give your favourite games a good bashing but you can't because Steam won't allow you to connect, so you can't even play single player on any of your 40 plus games your purchased on Steam.

And on top of all that there isn't even a memo or email to acknowlege what exactly the problem is and how long its likely to be before its corrected. So your left wandering is it Steam's fault or your PC.

Thanks very much. Way to go.

geniusreddy
I deleted both clientregistry.blob and the steam.dll....it works for me now.

krynn72
Deleting ClientRegistry.blob worked for me as well.

For those of you who say it didnt work, make sure you completely exit out of steam and THEN delete the file. If you keep the steam window up, delete the file, and then hit "retry" it will not work.

Close steam, delete clientregistry, and then start steam. Should work.

You purchase many games on Steam, including Company Of Heroes (which I'd done so this week as it was going cheap). You don't get much chance to play it because you always seem to be at work in the week and then when you finally finish work for the weekend you think you'll give your favourite games a good bashing but you can't because Steam won't allow you to connect, so you can't even play single player on any of your 40 plus games your purchased on Steam.

And on top of all that there isn't even a memo or email to acknowlege what exactly the problem is and how long its likely to be before its corrected. So your left wandering is it Steam's fault or your PC.

Oh shut up. Do you ♥♥♥♥♥ at your car's manufacturer when a part fails after 100,000 miles too? They can't anticipate every problem, and this problem only started less than an hour ago, and isnt happening for the vast majority of their users. To expect them to recognize something is wrong with such a small percentage of people, then identify the problem, then make a public response to the problem in less than an hour is absurd.

harv *<:D
01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Same problem here. Was on MW2 about 10 mins ago switched steam off then decided to jump back on to check friends list and have the error now :confused:

AvaMods|COLTRON
01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
HURR DURR I R FANBOY U MAKE ME CRY

p.s. if you dont like steam, don't use it... simple

My point exactly.

also, i didnt run CCleaner, just del clientregistry, then steam started

Zero Ame
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
To be clear, I deleted ClientRegistry.blob then ran the registry cleaner in CCleaner. This cleaned up 237 errors related to .blob extensions, etc. and now I'm back online.

didnt work for me

Ghadzoeux
01-29-2010, 11:26 AM
After one of my retries, Steam began to update itself and then everything went fine...

Bucket Christ
01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I deleted my clientregistry.blob, then restarted and it gave me an error message. Tried restarting again, same thing. But then I deleted the blob again and it updated, and works now?

:D

Spindleflax
01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Adding m'name to the list of people who solved this by deleting ClientRegistry.blob, that's all I did, restarted Steam and everything seems fine now.

paint666
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
deleting clientregistry.blob worked for me too, had to do it a few times though

Ashman
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Deleting ClientRegistry.blob worked for me as well.

For those of you who say it didnt work, make sure you completely exit out of steam and THEN delete the file. If you keep the steam window up, delete the file, and then hit "retry" it will not work.

Close steam, delete clientregistry, and then start steam. Should work.

Oh shut up. Do you ♥♥♥♥♥ at your car's manufacturer when a part fails after 100,000 miles too? They can't anticipate every problem, and this problem only started less than an hour ago, and isnt happening for the vast majority of their users. To expect them to recognize something is wrong with such a small percentage of people, then identify the problem, then make a public response to the problem in less than an hour is absurd.

I don't have a car.

harv *<:D
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Deleting ClientRegistry.blob didn't work for me so I deleted Steamclient.dll and ClientRegistry.blob (well moved them out of the folder as a just in case) and forced steam to download an update for itself.

That then worked for me :)

satchef1
01-29-2010, 11:33 AM

This worked for me. Delete it then use CCleaner to clean the registry. DO NOT LOAD UP STEAM IN THE MEANTIME, OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TO DELETE ClientRegistry.blob AGAIN.

EDIT: Maybe scrap that. Steam now tried to update but gets stuck :(

Have_Faith777
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Yea Steam really likes to inform their users...

teeknuckles
01-29-2010, 11:36 AM
ya well star trek is down too, lol steam also i cant even log in to play counter crack this sucks!!

Connec10
01-29-2010, 11:36 AM
still canīt connect, tried everything told here.

also, i was able to log into steam until like 4 pm, and now it kinda seems to be ... broke for me.

really, i would like to have an official talking about this.

Sincerely

Connec10

chrisjudge
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
same here, no connection to Steam

DonutGrunt
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Worked by deleting the clientregistery.blob

vivi the mage
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
deleting clientregistry.blob worked.

Connec10
01-29-2010, 11:41 AM
as i said, it didnt work, too good i saved the original clientregistry.blob, cuz it didnt even let me use offline mode cuz of no login crementials saved on this pc, so i just restored it...

lol, seems the german serverīs down too...

Ashman
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
It won't even allow me to connect in offline mode, when I click the 'Start in Offline Mode' button I get a Steam Error message telling me to visit www.steampowered.com for me info.

How exactly have some of the guys managed to get onto Steam?

BobOmb8194
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I got the problem, and deleting ClientRegistry.blob fixd it. Just make sure Steam isn't running first. :)

Connec10
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I got the problem, and deleting ClientRegistry.blob fixd it. Just make sure Steam isn't running first. :)

mate, i even restarted my pc to do this, lucky you, your problem has been fixed...

(trying every one download server now)

PROBLEM FIXED FOR ME NOW!

UK SAVED MY ♥♥♥ AGAIN^^

Flaps
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
My point exactly.

also, i didnt run CCleaner, just del clientregistry, then steam started

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

your quotes made me lol

So you can't actually come back with a decent response so you fail-quote me to make yourself look like a ♥♥♥♥ even more.

Nice work.

Go back to school

AvaMods|COLTRON
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

your quotes made me lol

So you can't actually come back with a decent response so you fail-quote me to make yourself look like a ♥♥♥♥ even more.

Nice work.

Go back to school

SPEAKING OF FAILQUOTES

drk_b
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Can't get it to work. I noticed when I ran Steam this evening it updated itself, then restarted, and gave me the message about me not being on the internet, even though I am. Renamed clientregistry.blob but all that did was cause an error message saying I couldn't run steam as I wasn't connected to the internet and didn't have any login details on the computer. Renaming steam.dll just brings up an error saying you have to be on the internet to run steam. Obviously steam is not recognising my internet connection. Changing download region didn't help.

This is ridiculous. Valve, please fix this, I want to download stuff, thank you.

Connec10
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
oh cmon, dont speak like this here, use PMīs then so we dont have to read this in a topic like this

Zero Ame
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
deleted client registry.blob and everything is working fine for me now, had to do it 2 times.

How to get your steam going
Exit steam entirely, if your not sure if its closed hit Alt+Ctrl+Delete open your task menu and if steam.exe is on there the end the process.

After exiting steam goto c:\program files\steam and locate client registry.blob

delete this file or move it to another folder so it is not in that directory, run steam. Steam should run an update, if not then exit steam fully again and repeat process.

Keep doing this until steam runs an update and you should have to log in if you save your details.

Flaps
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
SPEAKING OF FAILQUOTES

I take it you dont understand the meaning of fail-quote?

Obviously not.

And SPEAKING IN CAPS doesn't make you cool. Again... it just makes you look like a ♥♥♥♥.

Zaeth
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I also am having issues and I am closest to the Seattle server. I will try connecting to other places as well.

drk_b
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
OK, it's suddenly working. Thanks Valve, nice to know I have your ear!! Now release ep. 3 plz? Thanx.

wexer9
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Deleting ClientRegistry.blob fixed it for me.

Zaeth
01-29-2010, 11:52 AM
So I changed from Seattle to LA, and I could connect with no issues.
Then I changed back to Seattle and it worked.

I don't know what steam is doing but that is really strange.

Flaps
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
deleteing clientregistry.blob and steam.dll worked for me. Just make sure steam is fully closed before doing it :)

drk_b
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
For me it started working by itself, none of the changes I did made any difference so I put them back how they were, and now it's decided to work, I think it must be the overall Steam network itself which was being flaky maybe?

Cid_X
01-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Actually, I was able to use the "Start Offline" button and played Mass Effect 2 just fine. Connected to the Cerberus network and all with no issues. That was the first time in 4 years I ever had to use the offline feature and I was pleasantly surprised. Trials by fire are fun.

NitrousX
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I encountered this problem several times. Restarting steam fixed it each time.

Cid_X
01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I didn't do anything and Steam launches just fine now. This was an issue on Valves end and it seems to be resolved now (most likely with duct tape and chicken wire).

Orkinman
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I did not do anything to try and fix it, just kept "retrying" it every 20 min or so, and now it works fine.

Ashman
01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Its working fine now. Hope everyone else's is too.