PDA

View Full Version : So How Is This BF:BC2 Game Fun?!?

HoodooGuru
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I just can't see it yet. I have been playing PC games since the early 1980's-- the original MS Flight Sim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator#Flight_Simul ator_1.0), Cinemaware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemaware), Atari ST titles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_ST_games), and Falcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_%28computer_game_series%29)games through the present day including the entire Battlefield series starting with 1942, Vietnam, and BF2. I know a *fun* game when I play it, and so far, I'm very disappointed to find that Battlefield Bad Company 2 is just NOT working for me. I am not yet seeing the fun of it (as compared to 1942 and BF2 which always are/were fun for me, and many others based on the servers still going). Those games just *felt" right, from vehicle control to aiming/shooting/sniping, etc. Plus, the gameplay offered hours of fun that never seemed repetitive.

This game almost seems like *work* so far! It simply does not feel "tight" or that the control mechanics are all that connected to the game world, and seems repetitive across the map. For example, getting into/out of tanks seems disconnected, when you die you get this wierd lie down animation that seems fake, running/aiming/shooting doesn't feel tight like in BF2/1942, and the helicopter does not work at all for me. Hell, the game won't even let me map my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick throttle to the control mapping for acceleration!

Yes, this is a Beta and I get the issues/bugs present (I am in the software biz, and know the release process all too well). But for Beta this game NEEDS to have the core gameplay and control mechanics that reveal what it will be like upon RTM (retail release). Again, I am just not seeing that happen by March!

I am saddened and disappointed with what DICE has delivered so far. I certainly hope they can tighten this up MUCH more, but I think I am leaning towards getting a refund for my pre-order.

Sad, given SO much potential this had, but just doesn't seem to deliver right now or in the foreseeable future.

For you kiddies out there, flame away if you must. For the ADULT gamers reading this, I'd like to hear other opinions (frankly, some convincing arguments to help me "see the light").

Cheers,

HoodooGuru

d10sfan
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Most of it to me feels very similar to the way BF2 works. There are some things that are different but some of those changes makes it a better experience.

Movement and such does seem to be a little different from what it felt like in BF2. To me, it feels a little smoother at times.

d10sfan
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
too much reading but im guessing its the normal complaint that the game isnt fit for retail rant

Not really. If you arent going to read a thread, dont post in that thread.

ironHonor
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Too long, didn't read.

Its fun because it's quick, hectic, and visually appealing.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
I just can't see it yet. I have been playing PC games since the early 1980's-- the original MS Flight Sim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator#Flight_Simul ator_1.0), Cinemaware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemaware), Atari ST titles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_ST_games), and Falcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_%28computer_game_series%29)games through the present day including the entire Battlefield series starting with 1942, Vietnam, and BF2. I know a *fun* game when I play it, and so far, I'm very disappointed to find that Battlefield Bad Company 2 is just NOT working for me. I am not yet seeing the fun of it (as compared to 1942 and BF2 which always are/were fun for me, and many others based on the servers still going). Those games just *felt" right, from vehicle control to aiming/shooting/sniping, etc. Plus, the gameplay offered hours of fun that never seemed repetitive.

This game almost seems like *work* so far! It simply does not feel "tight" or that the control mechanics are all that connected to the game world, and seems repetitive across the map. For example, getting into/out of tanks seems disconnected, when you die you get this wierd lie down animation that seems fake, running/aiming/shooting doesn't feel tight like in BF2/1942, and the helicopter does not work at all for me. Hell, the game won't even let me map my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick throttle to the control mapping for acceleration!

Yes, this is a Beta and I get the issues/bugs present (I am in the software biz, and know the release process all too well). But for Beta this game NEEDS to have the core gameplay and control mechanics that reveal what it will be like upon RTM (retail release). Again, I am just not seeing that happen by March!

I am saddened and disappointed with what DICE has delivered so far. I certainly hope they can tighten this up MUCH more, but I think I am leaning towards getting a refund for my pre-order.

Sad, given SO much potential this had, but just doesn't seem to deliver right now or in the foreseeable future.

For you kiddies out there, flame away if you must. For the ADULT gamers reading this, I'd like to hear other opinions (frankly, some convincing arguments to help me "see the light").

Cheers,

HoodooGuru

I agree with everything you've said here. It's hard to nail down what the issue is but as you said it just doesn't "feel" right compared to BF2 for example.

But for Beta this game NEEDS to have the core gameplay and control mechanics that reveal what it will be like upon RTM (retail release).

It probably does which is also a huge problem. This game just feels wrong and tweaking the controls just isn't going to fix it I'm afraid. They're just too screwed up right now. The controls are sluggish.

ModMunki
01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Most of it to me feels very similar to the way BF2 works. There are some things that are different but some of those changes makes it a better experience.

Movement and such does seem to be a little different from what it felt like in BF2. To me, it feels a little smoother at times.

You've been playing too many console games.

Dvinuz
01-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Now remember its in Beta stage, there is still a lot of bugs.

d10sfan
01-29-2010, 11:18 PM
You've been playing too many console games.

You dont know anything about me so you cant say that. And I do play console games from time to time but why does that matter? The pc beta of this game feels pretty smooth to me if the servers not lagging.

Resorting to personal attacks like this usually means you have no argument to speak of.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta. Beta.

What are you going to say when the final version is just as bad? And you know it's going to be. Use that excuse while you can.

Vyyrus
01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
No people just expected this game to be exactly like BF2 with new maps. Forget that Bad Company 1 was a unique game and only to console users. Dice didn't have to make this game for PC users. Im glad its not like BF2. I don't see nearly the amount of bunny hoppers and absolutely no dolphin divers finally. No nade spamming also makes game fun. Each game is unique in its own way. This game was not meant to be BF3 that is under development so I heard Bad Company 2 is its own game.

d10sfan
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
What are you going to say when the final version is just as bad? And you know it's going to be. Use that excuse while you can.

No one knows how the retail version will be. Not you, not me, not any of the consumers. We will just have to wait and see. You know what they say about assumptions.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:21 PM
You dont know anything about me so you cant say that. And I do play console games

Lol. I said you've been playing too many console games and lo and behold...

Resorting to personal attacks like this usually means you have no argument to speak of.

You call that a personal attack? lol

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
No one knows how the retail version will be. Not you, not me, not any of the consumers. We will just have to wait and see. You know what they say about assumptions.

If I were you I wouldn't make any bets with anyone that it's going to be better. True nobody knows for sure, but I give it about a 99% chance that the control problems will still be there.

alonsh2006
01-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Enough with the flaming.
it doesnt make you any cooler.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:24 PM
too much reading but im guessing its the normal complaint that the game isnt fit for retail rant

Why did you even bother posting this at all? What does this add to the conversation? If you're trying to troll you've gotta do better than that. Seriously. That's weak.

d10sfan
Lol. I said you've been playing too many console games and lo and behold...

You call that a personal attack? lol

"too many console games" means absolutely nothing. I play games on console from time to time but hardly ever fps. I play both. I have 29 games installed on my pc and about 10 on my ps3. Do the math and think about which one I play more.

I personally think the game plays fine once you turn the sensitivity up a bit.

My point is, is instead of coming up with a counterarguement, all you say is that im a console player, which means nothing.

Overt.Enemy
Enough with the flaming.
it doesnt make you any cooler.

Do you even know what flaming means in this context? My post was not a "flame".

DeadAlot
01-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Agree the controls need to be tightened up for sure. Is the reason you say its not fun, the controls or is there other reasons? I am also frustrated at the controls right now but I hope it will be addressed before release. What game has ever been released that was perfect? None that I ever owned.

I'm enjoying the beta a lot right now even with its flaws. But I feel a persons enjoyment factor is subjective. For me the core gameplay is what I like. Its not a run all over the map type game. I the objectives that promote playing the game with others as opposed to being the "lone ranger". If it tightens up the controls for me I know I will say bye to MW2 and OFPDR for sure.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:26 PM
"too many console games" means absolutely nothing. I play games on console from time to time but hardly ever fps. I play both. I have 29 games installed on my pc and about 10 on my ps3. Do the math and think about which one I play more.

I personally think the game plays fine once you turn the sensitivity up a bit.

My point is, is instead of coming up with a counterarguement, all you say is that im a console player, which means nothing.

The fact that you have more PC games implies nothing. I could have 100 PC games installed that I never play, and 1 console game that I play all the time. Math doesn't work that way.

Sn0wbl1nd
01-29-2010, 11:26 PM
i have been playing games a long time to lol and have enjoyed the battlefield series alot =D 1942 bf2 and now bfbc2 ...this game is awsome ... beta needs alot of love but 16 on 16 battles are AWSOME !! =D TEAMWORK in this game = FUN !!! no teamwork = WORK and NO FUN =( no one man armies is dis here battlefield

refraxion
01-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Let me get this straight, for people that don't believe in what you are saying (mind you, some are valid) they are not adults? The sticky key problem HAS to be fixed asap. That has to be the most game breaking problem right now for me.

d10sfan
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
The fact that you have more PC games implies nothing. I could have 100 PC games installed that I never play, and 1 console game that I play all the time. Math doesn't work that way.

Well, I play my pc more than my ps3. There you go.

Personally, I think that the games' controls feel pretty good. You dont think they are. Its a matter of opinions and I am sticking with mine.

Zaeth
01-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree the controls don't feel as they should. Its not like there is a delay it just doesn't move how it should. Even with sensativity up it doesn't feel right.

Digsyergrave
01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
This game really excels when you get two or three buddies in a ventrilo or something and hog a squad and work with each other flanking enemies and hopping on the nearby ATV to take out their tank or key defensive choke point.

BlowitAllUp
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
It took me a while to realize how great BF2 was as it was my first BF game. Just give it time, it will grow on you. I think one reason is that this game is not geared as much towards the casual and not as noob friendly as say MW2. BFBC2 is partial simulation as it has bullet gravity and no noob arcade stuff like hit markers and such although it works well for 100% console arcade game such as MW2. The reason I liked BFBC2 immediately is because I loved BF2 and is not my first BF title.

Joshmanz
01-29-2010, 11:36 PM
BFBC2, is, awesoooooooooooooooomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Overt.Enemy
01-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Agree the controls need to be tightened up for sure. Is the reason you say its not fun, the controls or is there other reasons? I am also frustrated at the controls right now but I hope it will be addressed before release. What game has ever been released that was perfect? None that I ever owned.

I'm enjoying the beta a lot right now even with its flaws. But I feel a persons enjoyment factor is subjective. For me the core gameplay is what I like. Its not a run all over the map type game. I the objectives that promote playing the game with others as opposed to being the "lone ranger". If it tightens up the controls for me I know I will say bye to MW2 and OFPDR for sure.

It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than it is now. The controls are part of the reason it's not fun but there are others:

1. The entire map area needs to be reachable by both sides. None of this BS where one team parks a tank where the other team can't go and just fires the whole time. Or snipers just snipe away and they never have to worry about being backstabbed because this magical barrier prevents enemies from coming close to them. That's BS.

2. The weapons need to do more damage. Also the weapon models are terrible. Take a look at any weapon in this game, then go look at it in MW2. MW2 gets the weapons right, at least the look and feel of them. This game reminds me of paint ball weapons or air guns. Not realistic looking weapons.

3. Prone needs to be added. I don't want to hear this BS about dolphin diving either. MW2 has prone and it doesn't ruin the game. It can be done correctly if designed correctly.

4. The communication is gone in this game. They need to bring back the on screen menu. I shouldn't have to point to a certain player and press Q. If I need a medic I'm not even sure who's a medic and who isn't. This adds pointless confusion to the game. Especially with the ability to mix and match classes and weapons.

5. They need to speed up running so it feels like you're actually running, not doing everything in slow motion.

6. When I die I should still be able to press J and chat. I shouldn't have to wait until I reapawn.

7. They need to remove the sluggish unresponsive delay that occurs when you do ANYTHING with this game. I press J and enter some chat comments and like 10 seconds later they post. Melee is useless, it's much too slow and sluggish. And I was on a server with 30 ping so that's not the issue.

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

MastaGunZ
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I read the OP, I agree. But thing is, the generation of gamers is getting more and more idiotic, they call these people 'mainstream gamers'. Being a console port the gameplay is dumbed down so far, its depressing. But if the game companies want the most money they must cater to these gamers.

While I do actually enjoy the game, I don't like it as much as BF2 or even 2142.
I think a big part of the reason this game doesn't feel just right is because the beta features only rush mode, which is crap compared to the conquest mode where the whole map is opened up.

The movement though does feel weird, sometimes sluggish or laggy, but the servers have more load on them with everything exploding around the map.

refraxion
01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I read the OP, I agree. But thing is, the generation of gamers is getting more and more idiotic, they call these people 'mainstream gamers'. Being a console port the gameplay is dumbed down so far, its depressing. But if the game companies want the most money they must cater to these gamers.

While I do actually enjoy the game, I don't like it as much as BF2 or even 2142.
I think a big part of the reason this game doesn't feel just right is because the beta features only rush mode, which is crap compared to the conquest mode where the whole map is opened up.

The movement though does feel weird, sometimes sluggish or laggy, but the servers have more load on them with everything exploding around the map.

The most game breaking thing for me in this game is the sticky keys, also sometime it does feel somewhat unresponsive, but we have 20+ more days to go, if all of these problems aren't fixed we can cancel pre order ;).

derkaderka
01-30-2010, 12:12 AM
um, menopause?

zdrux
01-30-2010, 12:13 AM
This is the reality of console games. They are "dumbed down" for console controllers, eliminating some of the functionality of PC games and streamlining a lot of this, thus removing the feeling of being involved in what you're doing.

Also, its made for console players and must be made to accommodate the majority of the young kids who play them, and majority of them want to press a button and see stuff explode, they're not really interested in strategy or intricate controls or effort.

Everything is basically streamlined and loses some of its appeal to those who care about it, mainly us old school PC gamers.

whippit
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Personally, I feel the movement feels very heavy, I don't know why but it makes me feel like my character weighs 300 pounds and can barely walk, I don't know if it is intended as 'realism' but it feels sluggish. I also find the shooting mechanics in this game dodgy, in BF2 it felt very precise, I knew when my shooting was accurate and I knew when I wasn't hitting anything. In this, sometimes I shoot from hundreds of metres away and score hits and kills yet there is someone next to me and I empty my gun into them and get killed seemingly instantly. I'm not able to objectify what the differences actually are but it just feels wrong. It still is a lot of fun though.

bnguyen1983
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Why did you even bother posting this at all? What does this add to the conversation? If you're trying to troll you've gotta do better than that. Seriously. That's weak.

Not trying to troll but since everyone is essentially complaining about the same thing I figured it was that. After reading it I was right anyways. Gameplay not as fluid, controls not tight etc.

You say you enjoyed BF2 but from what I remember when playing it, retail was fun but horribly buggy. Hit registration was horrible. Shoot someone point blank and bullets wouldnt do anything. It wasn't fixed until a few patches later, which by that time I had given up on the game already.

This is a beta testing, with bugs, and bad ones at that. Bugs that we are supposed to report and that they said that they would do their best to fix before the release, which is still about a month away. Even after the release, they are still going to have to fix problems with balance once people unlock other weapons and maps. This is not going to be a perfect release, which goes for any other game. It takes time to age and to be patched.

MW2 is still ♥♥♥♥ty today with people finding new glitches and hacks everyday. One gets patched, another pops up.

DrunkAus
01-30-2010, 12:53 AM
For those comparing this to BF2, there's your problem.

It's not meant to be like BF2 at all, this is a sub series or the 'younger, more hip' brother of BF2 if you will, meant to appeal to the mass market aka the console market, those controls not feeling 'tight' are a byproduct of being 'consolified'.

In my opinion this game feels exactly like BC1 in terms of well everything as it should, so stop comparing this to BF2, your gonna have BF3 for that soon enough.

HoodooGuru
01-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I appreciate the mature, well thought out responses here.

Again, I guess the ultimate question I am asking is-- is this game *fun* as compared to not just BF2 but the hundreds of other games that we've all played. I remember the first time I played BF 1942, Half life (1), HL2, and dozens of other great titles going back to the early 1980's. All those games had an immediate and core element of fun to them.

So far, BFBC2 just doesn't seem to have that "magic" or core element of fun yet. Maybe it will age like a fine wine in time, but right now I am just not seeing it yet.

Brinkman
01-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Game is fun, I'm not about to spend the time to try to persuade you to agree.

Dustenza
01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
This is only a beta. If the final retail version still doesn't prove worthy to you then that is too bad, but I hope you will feel a little better knowing that Battlefield 3 PC is officially in development.

It looks like I will be having tons of epic fun with BF:BC2 until BF3 comes out.

parker88
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than it is now. The controls are part of the reason it's not fun but there are others:

1. The entire map area needs to be reachable by both sides. None of this BS where one team parks a tank where the other team can't go and just fires the whole time. Or snipers just snipe away and they never have to worry about being backstabbed because this magical barrier prevents enemies from coming close to them. That's BS.

2. The weapons need to do more damage. Also the weapon models are terrible. Take a look at any weapon in this game, then go look at it in MW2. MW2 gets the weapons right, at least the look and feel of them. This game reminds me of paint ball weapons or air guns. Not realistic looking weapons.

3. Prone needs to be added. I don't want to hear this BS about dolphin diving either. MW2 has prone and it doesn't ruin the game. It can be done correctly if designed correctly.

4. The communication is gone in this game. They need to bring back the on screen menu. I shouldn't have to point to a certain player and press Q. If I need a medic I'm not even sure who's a medic and who isn't. This adds pointless confusion to the game. Especially with the ability to mix and match classes and weapons.

5. They need to speed up running so it feels like you're actually running, not doing everything in slow motion.

6. When I die I should still be able to press J and chat. I shouldn't have to wait until I reapawn.

7. They need to remove the sluggish unresponsive delay that occurs when you do ANYTHING with this game. I press J and enter some chat comments and like 10 seconds later they post. Melee is useless, it's much too slow and sluggish. And I was on a server with 30 ping so that's not the issue.

1. This is only one type of gamemode, their are others, whihc might appeal to you more.

2. Weapon damages can be changed quicker than you took to post that, reskins are easy too.

3. Agreed, and It may still be added, not hard again.

4. Again, can be easily changed (fixed?)

5. See above.

6. See above.

7. Could be many things causing this, but again I'm sure it can be fixed if enough people report about it.

8. THIS IS NOT MW2, Stop using it as a comparison, or you will forever be called a fanboi.

RockPaperNinja
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Well, I suppose one of the answers to all of your concerns are:

It's just a beta.

I use the server browser, even when they say not to, because whenever I go for a quick game it puts me two continents away. That might help some lagginess.

SpunkyKuma
01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Since I like the first BC despite me not liking FPS games on console, I like BC2 just a little bit more, like I said before it isn't one of those games you can be a lone ranger and bunnyhop/dolphindive your way through the enemy team's spawn and pwn them all by yourself like the previous BF games (I'm looking at you BF2MC). DICE has learned their mistakes from the looks of it, and doing betas months before release is a smart thing, this IS a good game and I'm having way more fun with this just one map/mode than I have in the past few months of Call of Duty's MW2.

The weapons do plenty of damage, right now it's not that noticable on PC but it's definitely there on XBOX demo, my targets go down very fast on XBOX and pretty fast but not as fast on PC as long as you're hitting your target.

mouse_art
01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Two things that bother me a bit, but thats nitpicking:

1.It seems the Recon Class is too fancy or why is it that i see almost 70% snipers all the time?
2.Melee attack/C4 deploying is to easy(yes for me too.)

And a side note 32 players is too much on the beta map, imo the sweetspot is around 16-20 players.

Edit: Oh another thing comes to mind. Imo the spotting function needs a bit adjusting too, one leaf between you and the enemy and you cant spot anymore.

Zefar
01-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Being a fan of BF2 and BF2142 and now when BC2 came out I just love it too.

But here's some things I don't like in BF2.

1: To many classes to pick from which leaves you open to instant kill from classes or vehicles that you can't combat against.
Not picking anti tank or Spec ops. Then pretty much any vehicle except those normal cars are able to deal with you with little to no threat at all.

This is bad ok and you usually end up with some classes that you want to play.

2: Leveling up system. It just takes ages to get points in BF2 and it just gets boring to have to use the same gun for just that kit. I got like over 200 hours clocked in BF2 and around 150 hours in BF2142. I still didn't reach the top place in BF2. I was just on level 8. I needed like 10 times my overall score to get to the max level. So that would be 200000 at max points.

So it doesn't reward you enough and even for squad work it doesn't pay off that well.

3: Air superiority. Jets didn't make the game fun for most people which is why most people quit. Because Karkand just wasn't enough.
In the start you could even hit moving choppers with anti air missile.

Choppers where fine in my view but MEC chopper just mauled down infantry with no problems.

Which is why I love BF2142 so much as it fixed ALL the problems BF2 had and improved the combat in so many ways.

I, my twin brother and my friend who used to play together in BF2/BF2142, just love BC2. It feels good now and I might be playing it for a long time too. This depends on what BF3 does with the jets and if they decide to have more maps with just tank/chopper/infantry than with all of the stuff.

DizoAZ
01-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Looks and feels like a Battlefield game to me. I'm actually doing better in this game than I've done in previous ones. You've got to agree that the handling is better than 2142 ;).

Great game IMO. If the official release is better than this Beta, I'll have fun playing it.

bostondrummer1
01-30-2010, 09:20 AM

-Repetitive - they did give us one map and one mode :\
-Death animation - You're dead. It's kinda how someone would die if shot.
-Getting in/out of tanks - Little noticable lag issue, probably a bug fix
-Doesn't "feel" right - Feels perfect to me, obviously its an issue with you, not the game.

It's obviously a taste issue, don't rag on the game when tons of people are consistently playing a single map and mode and loving it. If you want a refund fine, but don't ask us how this game is "fun" if you don't see it.

nevann
01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
8. THIS IS NOT MW2, Stop using it as a comparison, or you will forever be called a fanboi.

Now that's just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. I have MW2 and I've played a total of about 4 hours. I just get bored while I'm on it.
Yet, I love the way the guns work on hardcore mode. They actually feel deadly, I know that I only have to hit the enemy once or twice and they drop. And the same applies to me. The aiming and shooting mechanics are brilliant.

But I find the game itself boring, not much happens. When I play, I don't feel like I'm doing anything.

Yet, it's the exact opposite in Battlefield games. I love the idea of the game. Big open maps, objectives that matter, vehicles, etc. But the actual weapons frustrate me. I'm not sure why, but I just seem to have so many problems with them. I'll put 1 shotgun blast into the back of someone and they'll drop. Then I'll go around a corner and put 4 into someone else and nothing will happen. I'm sure I haven't missed because I see the blood.
The rifles aren't much better. Sometimes I can take a guy in a few shots and other times I burst fire a full clip at short range and he still has 50% health left.
Sometimes the game feels great and the health/damage is brilliant just like MW2 hardcore, yet other times it feels like Unreal Tournament with a shield belt.

markreale
01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
HoodooGuru, I have a similiar background as you (Atari XL, ST, Falcon etc.). I played thousands of games in my life (I'm a hardcore gamer from the early 80s on) I also played all (if not most)of the major FPS games released for the PC.

The points you make about BC2 are valid IMO. The game doesn't feel solid and it's hard to put a finger on it. Modern Warfare 2 for instance had despite its flaws (IWnet, glitches) a certain quality to it that BC2 doesn't have (yet) I'm talking about animation, graphics, interaction en controls. This PC beta feels like its been ported from a console. :eek:

It could well be that the final product is excellent (but I have my doubts as DICE has only a few weeks left)

Fangbow
01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I haven't played FPS games for a couple of years so I can't really say anything about this compared to other newer games. The last FPS games I played were BF2 and AA.

But anyway I really enjoy the game. A bit repetitive but thats because theres only one map. I haven't noticed any big flaws. The running speed feels good. I'd hate if it was any faster it would feel like playing some Unreal Tournament.

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
This is the reality of console games. They are "dumbed down" for console controllers, eliminating some of the functionality of PC games and streamlining a lot of this, thus removing the feeling of being involved in what you're doing.

Also, its made for console players and must be made to accommodate the majority of the young kids who play them, and majority of them want to press a button and see stuff explode, they're not really interested in strategy or intricate controls or effort.

Everything is basically streamlined and loses some of its appeal to those who care about it, mainly us old school PC gamers.

I'm not asking for INTRICATE controls. I'm asking for FUNCTIONAL controls. There's a difference.

And all this stuff about consoles and them catering to 12 years olds? No, just no. Don't even go there because DICE went out of their way to talk about "separate development platforms" and "exclusive PC content". So you can't use that defense, sorry.

Krieger91
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
lol at the people who can't read a little more than 2 paragraphs. How did you do in school?

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Personally, I feel the movement feels very heavy, I don't know why but it makes me feel like my character weighs 300 pounds and can barely walk, I don't know if it is intended as 'realism' but it feels sluggish.

Nice description. That about sums it up for me too.

I also find the shooting mechanics in this game dodgy, in BF2 it felt very precise, I knew when my shooting was accurate and I knew when I wasn't hitting anything.

Disagree here. In *all* Battlefield games I've played the shooting mechanics have always felt "off". In COD4 or MW2 for example I would say they feel much more precise and bullets go where you expect them to for the most part. Feels much more realistic. In BC2 the only way I know if I'm hitting something is if I see the cursor animation. But then the pathetic dying animation the player goes through once I've killed him takes much too long so I end up wasting ammo shoot when he's already dead and it's not clear to me that he is dead. The dying animation is much too slow.

In this, sometimes I shoot from hundreds of metres away and score hits and kills yet there is someone next to me and I empty my gun into them and get killed seemingly instantly. I'm not able to objectify what the differences actually are but it just feels wrong. It still is a lot of fun though.

Yep I noticed this too.

LauZaIM
01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't care about your opinion, I think this game is fun as hell. Didn't read wall of text on first post.

/thread.

SpunkyKuma
01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
In this, sometimes I shoot from hundreds of metres away and score hits and kills yet there is someone next to me and I empty my gun into them and get killed seemingly instantly. I'm not able to objectify what the differences actually are but it just feels wrong. It still is a lot of fun though.

On the XBOX version, hit registration is instant, 3 bullets or so and the target is dead but I noticed this a little on PC, obviously PC version isn't optimized yet. Also did you go through the server list to find the lowest ping server? I noticed going from a 100~ ping server placed in Virginia to 30~ ping server in Seattle made a difference as well.

D4mnit
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I would just like to add there is a difference between hit registry issues and thinking you should be hitting someone. I've noticed most SAWs are much more accurate in short bursts (kind of like real life, huh) and higher rate of fire weapons (XM8C) are less accurate at range, so your irons might be in the area of your target, but the recoil has a very detrimental effect on your accuracy when 2-3 extra rounds are expended, due to the additional rate of fire. I would like to see semi-auto added to control fire in a more manageable way.

Console versions of this game have extended hit boxes to make up for poor aiming style (a little stick, really?), so your bullets actually impact the equivalent area of 3 or 4 bullets. You can see this when watching some PS3 beta demos where a sniper fires a round and the reticule is a couple MOA off and still score a hit.

The movement is slightly slower-feeling than BF2, you can't sprint away from a tank at 20mph, like BF2. If anything, the sprint speed in BF2 was increased to unrealistic levels to help people cover a vast area. In BF2 sprint had to recharge and was a different level based on your class, in BC2 it is infinite, but slightly slower. It's a good trade-off in my opinion. In addition, you can unlock a perk that increases your overall speed, which will bring is closer to BF2 speed, but not the amazing 20mph (a soldier with 100lbs of gear would average 10mph, not 20).

OGkush&CO
01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I love all the people crying "oh wtf man I could own people in MW, since i can't hit ♥♥♥♥ in BF it must be because the controls sux" Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, nobody cares that you could kill effectively in MW because even little girls who have never played a video game can kill people easily in that game.

While BC2 has lost some stuff that was standard to previous BF games, for the most part it has taken all the good stuff from 2142 and 2, with very little of the bad. Don't forget this is a team-based objective game, the best moments come from coordinating with squad members not camping a roof in the corner of the map hoping for a "mad" killstreak.

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
lol at the people who can't read a little more than 2 paragraphs. How did you do in school?

You *DO* know Albert Einstein had ADD/ADHD right? So much for your theory that people with short attention spans do poorly in school.

Jeston
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
If I were you I wouldn't make any bets with anyone that it's going to be better. True nobody knows for sure, but I give it about a 99% chance that the control problems will still be there.

Hey maybe its you, No control problems at all. NONE, perfect reaction time from my keyboard and mouse.

SpunkyKuma
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
You *DO* know Albert Einstein had ADD/ADHD right? So much for your theory that people with short attention spans do poorly in school.

LOL he probably got that from working at the post office.

cereal3
01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
The movements feel more fluid and realistic compared to bf2 and i really like it

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I love all the people crying "oh wtf man I could own people in MW, since i can't hit ♥♥♥♥ in BF it must be because the controls sux" Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight,

The controls are sluggish. Has nothing to do with other games and we do good or bad in. I'm doing pretty good in BC2 but the controls are still broken.

xdanielleex
01-30-2010, 01:15 PM
If it snot fun give me your beta key

chav_thepwnere
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Think that's bad?
There's no SA80 ;_;

Leviathon
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Cheers,

HoodooGuru

I started gaming in the early 80's as well (ZX 81, 48k speccy etc) - ahhh good times :)

Btw what were your favourite Cinemaware games? I was an Amiga fan, Wings and It Came From the Desert were two of my favourite games ever released by anyone.

Back on topic I used to play BF2 a hell of a lot and to me BC2 "feels" like BF2, in terms of it giving me the same unique buzz that BF2 did, I have been having a lot of fun just playing the one beta level and for me it really does remind me of BF2.

Control wise it obviously seems like your having issues, not sure what to say on this apart from, I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned (helicopter/tank etc) and it did take me some getting used to the controls after months of playing Left 4 Dead 2 etc, but now I don't seem to have any problem with it - they could be broke and I'm just used to playing with them as they are but I seem to do pretty well on most matches, whatever the scenario be good if you do stay the more mature players the better! :D

Brinkman
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll take a 2 paragraph essay on Washington Crossing the Potomac over some crybaby on a forum.

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I'll take a 2 paragraph essay on Washington Crossing the Potomac over some crybaby on a forum.

Last time I checked nobody's forcing you to come into this forum.

usapatriot
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM

Overt.Enemy
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM

This makes me laugh. I can picture you banging your head against your keyboard each and every time you type "Beta". Beta. <bang> Beta. <bang> Beta. <bang>

lol

AroundTheHorn
01-30-2010, 11:50 PM

I left crumbs in the bed once but I told her I was through with that.

Brave Old Jim
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
This game is fun because of repair tool kills.

MaKem DEAD Bad
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
I think It's F-ing awsome! Despite the bugs the beta has I'm not going to judge the full game on just the beta's performance. I mean come on! The beta has only been out for 3 days.

p4r4n01d
01-31-2010, 12:29 AM
I think its fun because people crash the helis nose first.

No seriously its fun because it requires teamwork and tactics to win the rush mode.

and yes it does give me a BUZZZZ.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
I think its fun because people crash the helis nose first.

No seriously its fun because it requires teamwork and tactics to win the rush mode.

and yes it does give me a BUZZZZ.

Watching the helo is good for a cheap laugh most of the time. I think by default the controls are reversed, aren't they? At least to what I'm used to. If you move the mouse up the nose goes up, I'm used to the other way around. My longest helo flight is 3 seconds so far...

Raz17
01-31-2010, 01:24 AM
I read the OP and scanned over a the pages. Sue me if I missed something.

To the people who are still comparing this game to CoD and saying how much it's better then BC2. Honestly... This is not CoD. If you don't like it go back to a game you do like. Get your refund and move on. Saying it's easy to add prone or easy to change the feel of the character or what have you. Is utterly ridiculous. It's not a 10 minute programming job to change some of that stuff. It takes hours of work from many people to program that stuff in. Prone is a great example of this. It is not in the game. For them to add it, it would be far from "easy" to implement it.

The bullets don't do enough damage.
In my opinion if you moderate your firing instead of keeping your fire button glued down. You can make a lot of your bullets connect where as spraying frantically... most do not connect. Try it! It works!

My character feels sluggish.
Mine felt like this to. Then i lowered the AA and other one... anisotropic filtering I think. I set them both to 1x and/or 2x which increased my frame rate. My character no longer feels sluggish.
For those who care.
Intel core 2 quad q6600
2gb's DDR2 SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS.
Nothing is overclocked.

I saw someone say they need to speed up the game pace. Like running for example (I think someone mentioned this?)
If you consider this game a simulation. These are soldiers carrying god knows what in weight. They are not marathon runners either (yet they can sprint indefinitely, lol). The point is how fast can you run when you're carrying all that crap?
If you consider this game an arcade then I think if the game is to slow for you... You should request a refund and move on to another game. They are not going to speed the game up because a few people think its to slow paced. This is battlefield. I played BF2 and 2142, I've also played Cod1, cod4, cod5 and cod6. This is definitely a battlefield game. If you don't like it, then move on.

In regard to the actual OP. If you really don't find this game fun I don't think you should wait around. I don't expect much of the game to be changed from now until release. It feels like battlefield and will more then likely stay that way. However you should consider that this is only 1 mode out of what... 4 or 5? I'm not sure. Anyway theres my 2 dollars (way more then 2 cents :))

OGkush&CO
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
The controls are sluggish. Has nothing to do with other games and we do good or bad in. I'm doing pretty good in BC2 but the controls are still broken.

If you want to make excuses all day for getting owned go right ahead.

TheSilverKnight
01-31-2010, 02:16 AM
32 player cap is what annoys me the most...

Kradath
01-31-2010, 02:20 AM
If the complete game is like an improved versio of the beta with more maps this is likely to be the best bf game I played so far, hadn't have more fun with any other series title.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Saying it's easy to add prone or easy to change the feel of the character or what have you. Is utterly ridiculous. It's not a 10 minute programming job to change some of that stuff. It takes hours of work from many people to program that stuff in. Prone is a great example of this. It is not in the game. For them to add it, it would be far from "easy" to implement it.

Nobody's saying it's *easy* to add prone...they're saying it never should have been left out in the first place. Based on your "simulation" comment below, this argument makes no sense.

The bullets don't do enough damage.
In my opinion if you moderate your firing instead of keeping your fire button glued down. You can make a lot of your bullets connect where as spraying frantically... most do not connect. Try it! It works!

The fact that you need to fire too many bullets is not realistic. So based on your "simulation" comment below this argument also is a direct contradiction to what you said and also makes no sense.

I saw someone say they need to speed up the game pace. Like running for example (I think someone mentioned this?)
If you consider this game a simulation. These are soldiers carrying god knows what in weight.

Ok this is my main problem with you people that insist on defending DICE. In the areas I quote you on above you say "they can't add prone easily" and "fire your weapon a certain way, it works better". THEN you turn right around and say "If you consider this game a simulation." That's the problem with you people defending this game, either it's a simulation or it isn't. You can't say "prone is too hard to implement" then turn right around and say "think of this game like a simulation". You can't have it both ways and use whatever BS argument is convenient for you at the moment.

You call this game a "simulation" when it's convenient to use that as an excuse to defend DICE, then you turn right around and say things like "prone makes the game unbalanced, so they left it out", or "the number of bullets it takes to kill someone is not realistic, but it's OK because you can just shoot a certain way". All you're doing is using whatever argument is convenient at the time even though they both contradict each other.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM

No that's OK because it's so realistic. In the War in Iraq the US forces and Iraqi forces never have more than 16 of their soldiers on the battlefield at any given time. Since this game is trying so hard for "realism".

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
If you want to make excuses all day for getting owned go right ahead.

I love how you people assume that if someone is talking about the sluggish controls (when they actually are sluggish) it must be because they get "owned" all the time. Another typical tactic you people like to use to defend DICE and their obvious flawed implementation of the keyboard controls.

My K/D ratio is better than 3/1...can you say that? I hardly get "owned" as you put it but that don't make the controls not sluggish.

freeloader105
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM

I wish I could give negative rep in these forums. If you haven't read the original post, then don't reply in the thread.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 12:26 PM
I wish I could give negative rep in these forums. If you haven't read the original post, then don't reply in the thread.

I have to agree. Coming in here just to say "too long, didn't read" contributes NOTHING to the thread. Moderators, do you agree? It's great for starting a flame war (or trying to), that's about it.

saintthedogg
01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
obvious trolls are obvious...

but the retort "it's beta" doesn't really count for anything - with a month to release beta means testing server capacity and fixing small glitches. to say the game may be waayyy different in a month is just silly.

that being said, to say that can't tune the controls, fix graphics glitches, etc - is also just silly. I am liking it much more than BF2 or 2142 - because as d10 said the controls are smoother. plus it looks better, and any number of reasons i can't pinpoint.

and I haven't had a console for over a year until I got my ps3 a month ago - how that matters im not sure. if you weren't trying to be derogatory about d10 - why did you say anything about consoles? they are irrelevant.

as i said though, obvious trolls are obvious.

SpunkyKuma
01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
I beta tested Tabula Rasa (both closed & open), during open beta people always ♥♥♥♥♥ed at how the game is going to release in its state, guess what? The release version was quite different, less lag, fewer bugs and better video optimization, too bad NCSoft and Richard Garriot couldn't come to terms and NCSoft had to shut down the game a year after release.

I've been in several betas, I've seen it happen before when things gets improved upon release, a month is way more than enough time for DICE to do their work, they spent a month on the PS3 and the PS3 (and XBOX) version s are so much better now.

SpunkyKuma
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I love how you people assume that if someone is talking about the sluggish controls (when they actually are sluggish) it must be because they get "owned" all the time. Another typical tactic you people like to use to defend DICE and their obvious flawed implementation of the keyboard controls.

My K/D ratio is better than 3/1...can you say that? I hardly get "owned" as you put it but that don't make the controls not sluggish.

I still don't get your "sluggish controls", I really don't. You've been going on about that for the past few days.

HylianTheBlade
01-31-2010, 01:30 PM
my only real problem with BC2 is hit detection... i did the horrible noob spray at first but now i'm firing in 2-3 shot bursts and still taking nearly a full clip to take somone down... chest and head shots.
i'm sure half the time its probably lag because joining even a 32-60 server gets me lag cause of the apparently huge ammount of people playing atm.
i'm glad the knife melee isn't like cod and u actually have to time it and usually just catch somone by surprise for it to actually be effective.

South__
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM

ROFL you want to tell me there isnt already enough action with 32 players?

dude 64 players would be way too much

my only real problem with BC2 is hit detection... i did the horrible noob spray at first but now i'm firing in 2-3 shot bursts and still taking nearly a full clip to take somone down... chest and head shots.
i'm sure half the time its probably lag because joining even a 32-60 server gets me lag cause of the apparently huge ammount of people playing atm.
i'm glad the knife melee isn't like cod and u actually have to time it and usually just catch somone by surprise for it to actually be effective.

DICE IS WORKING ON IT!

when will ppl get it ..

Maizel
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
I with the OP, but I know that my issues stem from the fact that the Gold Rush gamemode just isn;t as fun as conquest. The gamemode, coupled with the jerkiness/lag issues, make every game boil down to 2 teams full of snipers, and nothing much else happening, because moving around is a chore with the lag and such.

Jtr_Bailey
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
This game is awesome, in my opinion. I don't know why people's first inclination is to pick apart everything that doesn't feel "right" to them. It's DIFFERENT, that's why it takes more than a few days to master it.

The entry-level assault weapon does feel a little bit "sluggish" to use your term, but there's just so much more to this game than trying to do run-and-gun as an assault. Try the other classes, experiment, see what works and what doesn't. Something that you've always done in another game isn't guaranteed to work, but the beauty of the BF franchise is that there's always more than one way to skin a cat. If you love BF, INVEST that time and exploration and you will be rewarded. If you're not into what BF offers and what it demands of players, then play a different game.

HylianTheBlade
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
DICE IS WORKING ON IT!

when will ppl get it ..

what was the point of your post? i voiced my opinion of its current state... your saying just because they are working on it i shouldn't.
put something actually useful in your post or don't post, no point.

brerlapin
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Cheers,

HoodooGuru

Pretty much identical to BF 42/2/2142 so I dont know what your talking about, also the disconnect has always been there. The bodies whats are you talking about ? Your just kind of drivelling nonsense old chap come back when your cogent please.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
but there's just so much more to this game than trying to do run-and-gun as an assault

True enough, BUT, if that's all someone wants to do it should be fun. You shouldn't have to deal with stupid stuff like emptying an entire clip into someone just to kill them. The hit detection and/or damage needs to be tweaked. The sluggish controls? As I've already said they're much better now than they were day one of the demo. Still they need to add the ability to strafe and run correctly; when you press W, Shift and either A or D at the same time your guy should NOT run straight like he does now.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM

but the retort "it's beta" doesn't really count for anything - with a month to release beta means testing server capacity and fixing small glitches. to say the game may be waayyy different in a month is just silly.

that being said, to say that can't tune the controls, fix graphics glitches, etc - is also just silly. I am liking it much more than BF2 or 2142 - because as d10 said the controls are smoother. plus it looks better, and any number of reasons i can't pinpoint.

and I haven't had a console for over a year until I got my ps3 a month ago - how that matters im not sure. if you weren't trying to be derogatory about d10 - why did you say anything about consoles? they are irrelevant.

as i said though, obvious trolls are obvious.

Your post was fine right up until about here:

How about you just comment and leave out the childish remarks? Is that really necessary, does it make you feel better or something?

because as d10 said the controls are smoother. plus it looks better, and any number of reasons i can't pinpoint.

As I already said I'm seeing improvements and the game is quite good. I just hope they improve on things more for the final release.

envex
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Overt,

Do you just sit on the forums all day trying to convince the people who enjoy this game that they're wrong?

If you don't like the game, get off the forums for a bit, wait for the full release and if things haven't changed email dice instead of telling people on this forum (which will get as much done as telling the brick wall outside what you think)

People like this game and are having fun. Your experience != other peoples.

Signed,

Most people on this forum

HylianTheBlade
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Overt,

Do you just sit on the forums all day trying to convince the people who enjoy this game that they're wrong?

If you don't like the game, get off the forums for a bit, wait for the full release and if things haven't changed email dice instead of telling people on this forum (which will get as much done as telling the brick wall outside what you think)

Signed,

good thing u posted something that in some way proves him wrong or makes his opinion invalid.

oh wait... u didn't.

envex
01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
I wasn't trying to prove any of his points wrong, I could care less about control problems, graphics problems, etc.

I was just saying that if he's just going to sit on the forums and argue with people who don't agree with him 100%, then he may as well just stop posting.

MuckY111
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM

nah this game is gonna be brilliant when it comes out, its already brilliant now lol

analyst88
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM

I haven't played it, but looking at all the complaint and problems threads on the forum it looks more like an alpha version to me. How they're going to fix all this up in less than two months is really beyond me.

If it's a BETA, it should be at least 80% playable, which clearly it isn't. They can't even make their own server browser run correctly.

Raz17
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Lots O' Words

I'm not calling this game a simulation. I was talking to anyone who was. What I'm calling this game is a battlefield game. That's it. You obviously don't approve of it so why are you trying to get it changed? I'll say it again. Ask for a refund and move on. It's not very difficult. lol. :p

Signed,

^^

SpunkyKuma
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Sheesh people stop wasting your time, a month is plenty of time for DICE. Most other open betas don't even last 2 weeks.

PC beta ends Feb 25th, release is Mar 2nd, it only takes a couple days to mass produce millions of copies (of DVDs) and to same-day ship across N America, EU and AUS release days are a couple days later. Doesn't that make sense?

theSEKIman
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
OMFG, BF2 is past! You BF2 nostalgia people can play it as much as you want but stop trolling on this game. For me, I can't wait for final BFBC2 release. And I'm a core BF player, both on consoles and PC.

BF2 looked good 5 years ago, but now I would not even think to install it again, I can imagine what graphics and motions that would be. It is hilarious now.

BC2 is here and it's new, of course it has flaws but name me a game that is perfect.

And what kind of fun this game must be anyway?
Like "I'm gonna take chopper, crash into tree, jump out with parachute and land on someones face"?

Raylon
01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
I enjoyed all previous BF games, and this one feels similar, so you must be a new guy.

mundox86
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
tl;dr

It's fun cause you get to shoot people in the face with a tank, is funner done with friends.

desuhland
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM

I agree with all of these issues 100%. Well stated.

krazyxazn
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm having fun with the game.

My BC2 Playlist
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1D60676B3ACA1A76

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm having fun with the game.

My BC2 Playlist
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1D60676B3ACA1A76

I thought this was a BETA? Aren't you supposed to be contributing bug reports rather than wasting time making cute videos? I can see someone asking you that question...

krazyxazn
01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
I thought this was a BETA? Aren't you supposed to be contributing bug reports rather than wasting time making cute videos? I can see someone asking you that question...

I'm active on the real beta forums. So don't judge someone simply because they make videos. Videos show more than what words can describe.

Bloodkraze
01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
You're joking about 1942 right? The hit detection in 1942 was is so much worse than BC2, the only redeeming factor for 1942 was the array of vehicles.

Overt.Enemy
01-31-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm active on the real beta forums. So don't judge someone simply because they make videos. Videos show more than what words can describe.

Guess you didn't get the joke huh? Wow you people are uptight about defending this game, aren't you?

No only that if you read my post I said "I can see someone asking you that question" meaning I wasn't actually asking you that, it was in fun. Read my post before commenting.

HoodooGuru
02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I haven't played it, but looking at all the complaint and problems threads on the forum it looks more like an alpha version to me. How they're going to fix all this up in less than two months is really beyond me.

If it's a BETA, it should be at least 80% playable, which clearly it isn't. They can't even make their own server browser run correctly.

This is also one of the points I was making. Having been in the software business for over a decade now (and having spent time in game development too), this Beta certainly seems like Alpha to me.

After more playtime, I am seeing a bit more glimmer of hope that that game will evolve to be better than it is now (agreed, BF2 was a bit of a mess upon release but shaped up nicely).

However, there are still SO many *quality* issues with this game (I could add a long list of issues here, but will defer to other threads) that it's still hard to see the "fun" in this game.

Again, I *want* to like this game (always been a huge DICE fan) but it's just there yet. Seems that the "mature" gamers here agree or at least empathize, while the kiddie trolls still do what they are only capable of doing...

d10sfan
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
This is also one of the points I was making. Having been in the software business for over a decade now (and having spent time in game development too), this Beta certainly seems like Alpha to me.

After more playtime, I am seeing a bit more glimmer of hope that that game will evolve to be better than it is now (agreed, BF2 was a bit of a mess upon release but shaped up nicely).

However, there are still SO many *quality* issues with this game (I could add a long list of issues here, but will defer to other threads) that it's still hard to see the "fun" in this game.

Again, I *want* to like this game (always been a huge DICE fan) but it's just there yet. Seems that the "mature" gamers here agree or at least empathize, while the kiddie trolls still do what they are only capable of doing...

So because they agree with you, they are mature? And those that dont are "kiddie trolls"? I dont understand your logic.

The beta has only been out for a short time and they have already fixed quite a number of bugs. I agree that there are some things that need to be fixed but thats the reason the beta is here. This game is shaping out to be very fun and personally I think when it releases it will be a very good game.

Deroy
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM

L2P issue. And not a problem since they're useless up there.

The "weapons" in MW2 doesn't fire, look, feel like a weapon. And unlike MW2's weapons, BC2's weapons are designed after REAL weapons.

Yeah, well MW2 doesn't have recoil nor bullets. Get my point?

Another adapt and L2P issue. Though Comm-Rose would be awesome.
I miss saying thanks.

They need to speed up running so it feels like you're actually running, not doing everything in slow motion.

Speed's fine.

When I die I should still be able to press J and chat. I shouldn't have to wait until I reapawn.
Will be fixed. "Death" chat will be added.

They need to remove the sluggish unresponsive delay that occurs when you do ANYTHING with this game. I press J and enter some chat comments and like 10 seconds later they post. Melee is useless, it's much too slow and sluggish. And I was on a server with 30 ping so that's not the issue.

That's why we're having the beta. We're here to optimize the Frostbite engine on the PC, not enjoy the game fully.

It's a BETA not a DEMO

Largeth
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM

After it's released this will turn to "its only been out for a week"

"It's only been out for a month"

"It's only been out for a year"

HoodooGuru
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
For those of you NOT in the software business, read up on what a BETA release is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta)

BETA level software generally includes all features as final, and will include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

This BETA still has NUMEROUS features which are NOT final or missing altogether (i.e. non-sortable server browser), and with an overall level of quality (or lack thereof) that really categorizes it as ALPHA.

This game is scheduled for retail release in one month!!! No way you can go from this stage of BETA to RTM to GA in that period of time AND still address the hundreds, if not thousands, of bugs that are being identified and tracked.

This is what will happen-- DICE/EA will have to slip the release date, OR, they will ship this game with NUMEROUS bugs and patch it later. Either choice sucks for the consumer paying for this.

SpunkyKuma
02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Repi did say the version we're playing right now is 6 weeks old, they have a new one in the works, hopefully we'll get the update soon. Settle down.

marshmallow
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Agree very much with this sentiment. Weapons feel very odd and weak. I think its a combination of lag, bounding boxes, and damage models. Movement and weapons don't feel right in this game. But vehicles, and the maps make it fun so far.

Netherscourge
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I like how the OP rattles off a bunch of Flight-Sims and then he calls Battlefield games "work"...

D4mnit
02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Agree very much with this sentiment. Weapons feel very odd and weak. I think its a combination of lag, bounding boxes, and damage models. Movement and weapons don't feel right in this game. But vehicles, and the maps make it fun so far.

Play hardcore mode. End of issue.

To answer the OP again, the game is fun because I play it and enjoy it. That doesn't mean you will. If you don't enjoy it go play something you do enjoy. What is better for you may not be better for me, you're not going to change anyone's mind or win back any ex-MW2 players.

KyRoS
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm having more fun with the BC2 beta than I had with MW2 retail. I can only imagine once the game goes retail, bugs fixed, engine better optimized (crosses fingers), etc. The game is excellent IMO.

markreale
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
For those of you NOT in the software business, read up on what a BETA release is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta)

BETA level software generally includes all features as final, and will include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

This BETA still has NUMEROUS features which are NOT final or missing altogether (i.e. non-sortable server browser), and with an overall level of quality (or lack thereof) that really categorizes it as ALPHA.

This game is scheduled for retail release in one month!!! No way you can go from this stage of BETA to RTM to GA in that period of time AND still address the hundreds, if not thousands, of bugs that are being identified and tracked.

This is what will happen-- DICE/EA will have to slip the release date, OR, they will ship this game with NUMEROUS bugs and patch it later. Either choice sucks for the consumer paying for this.

Well it seems according to DICE(twitter) that the beta is an old(er) build. They make the tweaks and adjustments in the retail build. It made me frown (I'm also in ICT) According to these twitters, the retail version will also have the high resolution textures. That explains why the beta looks so crappy IMO.

Now I looked at the single player videos recently released by DICE (I assume that they demoed the retail version) and I'm still not impressed (look at the faces)

Most of the tweaking of weapons and stuff isnt'hard to do. It's just a matter of changing values. There are however several serious issues that can't be fixed in the timeframe they have.
The developer on twitter admitted that some stuff will be fixed in patches later on.

So, it seems that the retail version will still contain several bugs and stuff. It makes you wonder if this game isn't released to soon (like MW2 and many other games) :eek:

envex
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM

For those of you NOT in the "common sense, do a bit of reading" business.

WE ARE TESTING THE SERVERS NOT THE GAME.

It's been stated numerous times on the forums as well as the internet. The beta was to test the load on the servers, not to test the game, otherwise we'd be getting the latest build.

So Hoodoo, maybe hop of your "i'm in the software business" horse and wait and see what march brings us before you get up in arms of what you assume is going on at DICE.

We all know what happens when you assume, and I for one am not an ♥♥♥.

markreale
02-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Bull. Look at the fixlist on the BF BC2 beta forums. There are many thing on there that have nothing to do with the servers.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc-beta/884207-closed-beta-bug-status.html

envex
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
They're not going to ignore any huge problems, but if we were fully beta testing the game we would have all the unlocks, maybe a few more maps etc.

I'm going to put money that the main goal of the beta was to get major PC bugs out of the way and test the load on their servers (which were messed up until about 4 hours after the launch)

Alex1981
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
On the XBOX version, hit registration is instant, 3 bullets or so and the target is dead but I noticed this a little on PC, obviously PC version isn't optimized yet. Also did you go through the server list to find the lowest ping server? I noticed going from a 100~ ping server placed in Virginia to 30~ ping server in Seattle made a difference as well.

I've been joining Chicago servers where I have 15-20ms pings. Hitreg still feels off a little, especially up close.

I've knifed someone, watched him throw a grenade and get kills, then fall over dead. Maybe his ping was just through the roof, but it's still strange.

D4mnit
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
For those of you NOT in the "common sense, do a bit of reading" business.

It's been stated numerous times on the forums as well as the internet. The beta was to test the load on the servers, not to test the game, otherwise we'd be getting the latest build.

So Hoodoo, maybe hop of your "i'm in the software business" horse and wait and see what march brings us before you get up in arms of what you assume is going on at DICE.

We all know what happens when you assume, and I for one am not an ♥♥♥.
It was officially stated that the PS3 and PC betas are mainly for testing server loads, however there is a long change list that came from the PS3 beta, including finding a glitch that allowed for infinite medic kits and ammo crates. I would expect a nice change list from the PC beta as well.

markreale
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
It was officially stated that the PS3 and PC betas are mainly for testing server loads, however there is a long change list that came from the PS3 beta, including finding a glitch that allowed for infinite medic kits and ammo crates. I would expect a nice change list from the PC beta as well.

There is a VERY big list already. See sticky.

markreale
03-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Well it seems according to DICE(twitter) that the beta is an old(er) build. They make the tweaks and adjustments in the retail build. It made me frown (I'm also in ICT) According to these twitters, the retail version will also have the high resolution textures. That explains why the beta looks so crappy IMO.

Now I looked at the single player videos recently released by DICE (I assume that they demoed the retail version) and I'm still not impressed (look at the faces)

Most of the tweaking of weapons and stuff isnt'hard to do. It's just a matter of changing values. There are however several serious issues that can't be fixed in the timeframe they have.
The developer on twitter admitted that some stuff will be fixed in patches later on.

So, it seems that the retail version will still contain several bugs and stuff. It makes you wonder if this game isn't released to soon (like MW2 and many other games) :eek:

Quoting myself:

Well I wasn't far off with my predictions. The retail game is indeed released to soon IMO. There are several big problems like; PB kicks, CTDs, a poor server browser and connection issues.

Pity coz this a promising game annd I enjoy it (when it works)
Now we have to wait for patches ... sigh

D4mnit
03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Quoting myself:

Well I wasn't far off with my predictions. The retail game is indeed released to soon IMO. There are several big problems like; PB kicks, CTDs, a poor server browser and connection issues.

Pity coz this a promising game annd I enjoy it (when it works)
Now we have to wait for patches ... sigh

The "PB kicks" are actually just dropped connection from the EA master server. We don't need any major patching, just a more reliable EA master server.

express49
03-07-2010, 09:05 PM
As a former BF2 AIX tester , I'm shocked by the quality of the game , hard to beleive Dice is involved in this mess.I'll add to markreale list , the lack of Joysticks support , a very upseting interface screen , the "PB" fake probs .Very very disapointing !

ZoSo
03-07-2010, 09:06 PM
This isn't BF3, end of thread.

markreale
03-18-2010, 02:35 AM
The "PB kicks" are actually just dropped connection from the EA master server. We don't need any major patching, just a more reliable EA master server.

Well we are a couple of weeks further and major patching IS required. I'm not here to say 'I told you so' This couldn't go any other way IMO.

badxcompany2
03-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Well we are a couple of weeks further and major patching IS required. I'm not here to say 'I told you so' This couldn't go any other way IMO.

Think you may have missed it missed it. It just was patched lastnight. There will be more too.

Mr. Fabulous
03-18-2010, 03:00 AM

Well, 'PB kicks' are gone for most users, and I don't really see any other problems.

yorkey
03-18-2010, 03:03 AM
This is the first of the battlefield series i have played but i'm really impressed by it. I have no previous versions to compare it with, but from what i've seen and played here i think its a great game.
It's alot of fun to play with friends and i could play it for hours on end but i understand your point but for me i have found it very enoyable so far :)