PDA

View Full Version : How to enable Steam Cloud?

falc410
02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
So I bought Trine yesterday and played through the first Level on my PC. Now I login from my Notebook at University and thought I could play where I left off. But it will only let me start a New Game, no Savegame is to be found. Do I need to enable something for Steam Cloud to work?

Or is automatic Savegame synchronization not working? But then again my Settings did also not synchronize as I had to enable the subtitles again, which I also did on my PC.

JoelFB
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Steam Cloud should be enabled by default. It should work fine with savegames - options are not saved though (incl. Launcher settings and stuff like subtitles and sound settings).

Trine saves between levels so I assume that you got up to the second level (Academy Hallways or Wolvercote Catacombs, depending on whether or not you count the tutorial as first level).

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you in this case. :( I'd guess/hope it was a temporary problem but of course there can be something else too.

falc410
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Well it's just not working.

I was at the Academy Hallways on my PC but my Laptop did not download the savegame for whatever reasons. I then played up to Wolvercote on my Laptop and I did type into the console enable_steam_cloud 1.

Now on my PC I start the game and it said in the console: failed to copy save slot 1 to steam cloud.

Which kinda makes sense, although I would have preferred to chose if I want to override my local or remote copy of that save slot. Well I manually deleted the savegame then from HDD on the PC but everytime I start Trine now it only lets me start a new game. It just does not download the savegame from the Steamcloud.

What am I supposed to do now? Use Dropbox and manually copy my Savegames accross? This can't be a solution since you advertise with the Steam Cloud feature but it seems that it's more then poorly integrated into the game. There is no on / off button, no way to see what's happening and no way to manage my savegames. That's just sad :(

JoelFB
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah obviously Steam Cloud should work without a hassle so we'll have to fix this somehow. I'm not sure what's wrong here so I'll have to get back to you tomorrow once I talk to the programmers and get some feedback. Sorry for the delay (and the problem)!

falc410
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your help.

As an update, I manually copied over the save_slot_1.dhs file from my Laptop to the PC but again I get the error in the console: failed to copy save slot 1 to steam cloud.

JoelFB
02-12-2010, 06:50 AM
We looked at this and came to the conclusion that the game is doing everything properly, so this is probably caused by Steam Cloud itself or something in the hardware, or their combination (or all that combined with a rare bug in the game).

Our best suggestion is to turn off Steam Cloud. :( This can be done by opening the console with the F8 key and writing "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" (without the quotations but with the forward slash). After this the game will save only locally, to \profiles\yourprofile\save\ folder.

Can you post your system specs and OS version too btw, not sure if it will help but at least it's good to know. Do you have your laptop and desktop PC in the same area, i.e. can you easily test this?

Just for the heck of it, you could also try using the second (or whatever is free) save slot, with Steam Cloud enabled, and see if that works any better. This could be somehow related to write permissions on the files or such (in all honesty it's probably not, but who knows).

Let me know, and sorry if this doesn't work out properly.

falc410
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Well disabling the Steam Cloud would make no sense for me since I really want to share my Savegames accross my Network.

I tried starting the Game on my PC with a different Save Slot and now after finishing the tutorial I see this message in the console:

"Writing savegame to Steam Cloud failed"

When I now start the game on my PC of course it says:

Failed to copy save slot 1 to Steam Cloud.
Failed to copy save slot 2 to Steam Cloud.

So the problem is with my PC. On my Laptop I don't get any error message in the console, so I can only assume that it copies the savegame to the Steam Cloud - then again you never know since there are no log files about this. Maybe I can start Trine with a debug flag somehow to get more info from the logfiles.

So I first thought that it might be my Firewall which is denying Trine to access the net, but on both my Laptop and my PC, Trine is in the allowed list of programs (actually it's trine_launcher.exe on both, using Windows Firewall).

I run Windows 7 on both machines, but my PC runs 64 bit and the Laptop runs 32 bit only. And yeah both use the same network to access the internet.

So I just have to figure out why my PC can not connect to the Steam Cloud, because it seems to neither download savegames nor can it upload existing ones. So I'm certain that connection to the Steam Cloud is completely broken by whatever reason.

JoelFB
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure how many log messages are related to Steam Cloud but you can change the settings of "/loglevel" (from 0 to 6 I think) and "/console_loglevel" (same). Logs are output to \logs in the game folder. In the ingame console (F8) you can use TAB to autofill commands, it's quite useful.

You might want to give trine.exe (and Steam) firewall rights too, because trine_launcher.exe simply launches trine.exe upon Launch.

I'll try to post more if I have further ideas during the weekend - I can get the programmers look at your findings on Monday.

falc410
02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the heads'up. Sadly even with loglevel 6 I don't see more info on the console. It only outputs stuff now which had gone to the normal log file before, and this only tells me that my display driver has been initialized.

Also adding trine.exe to the firewall allow list didn't help either - and it's not added on my laptop and yet Steam Cloud works there. So yeah maybe it's a Windows 64 bit issue. Apart from that both machines run about the same software. Guess in the end I will have to use Dropbox to sync my savegame :)

JoelFB
02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah I'd advise that right now... I'm not sure if it's a 64 bit issue but who knows. We'll keep looking if we find anything wrong with our implementation of Steam Cloud. Sorry we couldn't get it working for you, whatever the reason!

In the meantime, if anyone else is experiencing similar problems, please post here or make a new thread so we're aware of them.

Schneids
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
hate to bring up a year old topic, but it was the first result when searching for "how to get steam cloud working" or something like that.

I beat ModernWarfare 2, and played through MANY of the Spec Ops (I only have like 4 more to complete). I recently put a new HDD in and took out the old one. I finished downloading MW2, but it won't sync with Cloud and I definitely don't wanna start all over

JoelFB
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
This thread was really about Trine and Steam Cloud, and isn't helpful with other games.

That said I have no idea why Steam Cloud wouldn't sync on a new HDD - maybe try restarting the computer and/or verify game cache files or something. Or check if the game has some setting in the menus that you have forgotten to enable. If these don't work, then I would suggest you go to the official Modern Warfare 2 forums (http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24) and ask there, they probably know better.