PDA

View Full Version : Fraps and framerate- anyone with experience?

Abzoloot
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
At max settings my computer the game between 79-91 FPS, mostly sitting at 91FPS. As soon as I start recording in Fraps it goes to a hard cap of 30fps.

I've checked "no sync" in fraps, but the same thing happens still, where the framerate that fraps is capturing at becomes a cap.

Not that flamers will have read this far, but it's not my comptuer slowing it down, it has to be a video option that I can't find, and I've been trying.

I only boot to windows to play DirectX10 games, and run linux for everything else. My windows drive is a 73GB 15k rpm SAS drive, and I am recording to an empty drive that is just for video.

It happens no matter what hard drive I capture to, and it instantly cuts the framerate to EXACTLY the framerate that fraps is recording to.

If I set FRAPS to capture at full speed full res, the video files are huge, like 35GB per minute of recording.

Anyone know what I am missing?

Bonehead325
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
At max settings my computer the game between 79-91 FPS, mostly sitting at 91FPS. As soon as I start recording in Fraps it goes to a hard cap of 30fps.

I've checked "no sync" in fraps, but the same thing happens still, where the framerate that fraps is capturing at becomes a cap.

Not that flamers will have read this far, but it's not my comptuer slowing it down, it has to be a video option that I can't find, and I've been trying.

I only boot to windows to play DirectX10 games, and run linux for everything else. My windows drive is a 73GB 15k rpm SAS drive, and I am recording to an empty drive that is just for video.

It happens no matter what hard drive I capture to, and it instantly cuts the framerate to EXACTLY the framerate that fraps is recording to.

If I set FRAPS to capture at full speed full res, the video files are huge, like 35GB per minute of recording.

Anyone know what I am missing?

Not missing anything, fraps is known to drop fps dramatically, so record at half res, also, the files are going to be big yes, but if you're looking to put em on youtube or something, you'll have to convert and resize them, then delete the originals, i get the same thing, especially in this game, 1 minute and i hit 19 GB.

Random Name
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Even when recording to a another hard-drive with all my settings maxed i get 50FPS on FRAPS (just select the 60PFS box under movies)

Even if i reduce my settings to all low, it only improves by 10FPS

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8990/60719839.png

I recommend recording @ HALF SIZE (files will be smaller, gameplay will be smoother)

Abzoloot
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Even when recording to a another hard-drive with all my settings maxed i get 50FPS on FRAPS (just select the 60PFS box under movies)

Even if i reduce my settings to all low, it only improves by 10FPS

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8990/60719839.png

I recommend recording @ HALF SIZE (files will be smaller, gameplay will be smoother)

When you record at 60 and play at 50, does it seem to run ok? When I record at 60 and play at 50~60 with "sync every frame" on, it runs like rubbish, and the videos that I have end up looking great, but are of me playing horribly.

Crouch1ng Hipp0
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Just putting this out there as i use fraps to record all my online vids, What does you monitor frame rate run at as if its restricted to 60hz then you will prob find that fraps will stick around 60fps regardless of what settings you use.

You will prob be best off dropping to half size recordings as when these are rendered in HD at 720p it will still fill the whole screen easily with good clarity. I tend to get around 3GBish per 2mins of video depending on what res im running at and how "violent" the game play is with explosions etc

What settings have u got running in MW2? Screenshots would be best if you can :)

oh and finally are you using the trial version as it caps at 30fps :P

Random Name
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
When you record at 60 and play at 50, does it seem to run ok? When I record at 60 and play at 50~60 with "sync every frame" on, it runs like rubbish, and the videos that I have end up looking great, but are of me playing horribly.

when i play i notice a bit of a sluggish play, but its very playable

Abzoloot
02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I updated Fraps and it is working perfectly. Seeing the screenshot of the new Fraps made me wonder why mine looked so different, and it is pre-DX10; it's working great now, thanks for any input guys.

5hi7h34d
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Fraps 3.1 was just released last week, much improved performance IMO.
Has new checkbox to "Lock Framerate", set to half-size and 60fps and you should be golden.

Abzoloot
02-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Has new checkbox to "Lock Framerate", set to half-size and 60fps and you should be golden.

Golden indeed. The video quality is the same, but the gameplay is now working as it was in older games for me.

Dodots
02-14-2010, 12:11 AM

Awesome tip, now recording at 1900x with everything on max at a steady, silky smooth 60 FPS while recording. Thanks!

734R5
06-26-2010, 02:58 AM
I lagged a lot, sometimes even though i runned 15 fps on half size... i could play on that but the quality :thumbs down:
but now ive locked the framerate and i can play 100 fps fullscreen! what a miracle! That is so great for my upcoming montage!

THANKS PEOPL!

Youtube.com/thesxyninja

Fr4gM4t!c*
06-26-2010, 03:38 AM
are you going to hack in that montage too?