PDA

View Full Version : Had a virus, now my Graphics are messed up.

Pikasnooze
02-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Sorry in advanced if this isn't the right area. But I'm sort of desperate, and its 2AM.

At 3AM last night, a rogue AV program called Internet Security 2010 downloaded itself onto my system. It changed my desktop, locked me out of Google Chrome, my Registry Editor, and Task Manager. However, I was honestly too tired to attempt figuring out how to remove it.

So this morning, I removed the virus completely. My system was running beautifully. That is, up until I tried to run Team Fortress 2. The game loaded fine, I could join games just as before. But it was once I joined a game there was an issue. My graphics were awful, glitched and fragmented. When I attempted to run Left 4 Dead, I found that the same issue was there as well.

http://i49.tinypic.com/zjj66t.jpg

Doors, characters, weapons and walls were glitched in the same way. Even the character selection screen was bad, no matter how I played with the resolution and lowered the graphics.
I've tried Verifying game files, Defragmenting both the game and my system. I uninstalled then reinstalled, and even updated my driver. But nothing has worked. The same problem persists. I doubt its my video card, which is a Nvidia 7300 GT dying, since I only bought it a few months ago. This issue only began after my system was infected.

Is it possible that Malwarebytes deleted something in my Steam files? Changing the driver makes me doubt its something missing with my graphics card. What should I do? Should I roll back my system, or safemode?

Pikasnooze
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I realized that there was an error that would appear in console. I don't think I had this going on before.

particles: missing 'particles/custom_particles500.pcf'

Yeah, there are 500 instances of that.
I'm really desperate for help. I don't want to have to reformat my computer just to play Steam games.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2eqdszn.png

I attempted to do a System Restore, but after trying several dates, all of which failed to restore, my computer remains unchanged.

Nekomancer
02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Why don't you just verify the game cache files?

Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF) (Link) (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

bioanalysis
02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
does your game work perfect no problems with other non steam games?..... if it still happens that means your gpu is faulty......

Pikasnooze
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I have verified the game files, as well as my Steam files. It finds nothing wrong. TF2 is stuck as a 3% fragmentation, even after reinstalling - but the problem effects all of my steam games.

I don't have any games outside of steam ones. But I am installing one now, to test the graphics for it.

Aside from the graphics issues, the games run as they should. Its just an eye sore that I can't get passed.

Pikasnooze
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Okay, my graphics were messed up in another, non-steam game. It was nowhere near as severe, but trees in the background were glitched. However, I've only had this video card, which was given to me brand new, for a few months. I don't think it would have died. Furthermore, just an hour or two before the virus hit, my graphics were perfectly fine.

Any clues as to what could have happened? Or any fixes?

bioanalysis
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
can you post your computer specs please? so i can see it?

bioanalysis
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
your problem looks like graphics card artifacts... due to over heating or faulty video card, faulty video card can happen to anyone even when the gpu is really new.. or the gpu may have been Over clocked and it got too hot and over heat....... a rogue antispyware is one terrible spyware when its in your system it disables stuff inside your computer like anti virus, spyware and locks your desktop even in some cases disables task-manager, if you can scan the computer again with an antivirus and if possible try format your comp and install fresh windows?

PwerLvlAmy
02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Just try a reformat ...