PDA

View Full Version : silly internet stick question

yidders
02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone.

Im very shortly about to move into an area that is devoid of interent save for the various interent sticks offered (bell, telus, rogers etc) iv had opinions put forth by the general techy community on both sides saying yes and no. I really enjoy playing l4d on both my pc (xp) and my laptop (vista) with my brother who is in toronto as im in the ottawa region (350kms approx)

My question is: does anyone know if there is any possible way to run l4d with an internet stick, eithere the blacl and white bell stick (max 21mb/s) or the black telus stick which has an available external antenna?

Iv searched high and low for interent solutions but i fear my gaming days may be near the end :(

Please help

TheMG
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Considering your only other options are probably dial-up and satellite, it's probably the best solution.

Dial-up is just too slow, satellite has insane latency (both are pretty much unusable for newer online games).

As for the stick, depending on how many other users are in your area, performance could be good, or it could suck. Between 100-300 ping is the expected range. This includes cellphone users too, essentially they are one in the same.

It's not going to come anywhere close to real broadband (DSL/cable) internet, even on a good day, but when you have no other choice...

Oh, and watch the caps, I hear overuse charges are INSANE.

WarLokk1980
02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Another thing to bear in mind is that you never get the advertised speeds which is a bit naughty really so don't be expecting 21mb/s. We live in the UK and have a T-Mobile mobile internet dongle and the most I've ever got out of it was about 11.2Mb/s and that was on a good day. Try to talk to other users of the service 1st and find out what the speeds are really like because more often than not you can end up being tied to a 12/18 month contract if you go for the cheaper pay monthly plans. Pay as you go mobile internet just isn't worth it as it's too expensive (if it's available in the US) but TheMG pretty much answered your question.

yidders
02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
While i realize that the sticks wont reach the maximum in my area, it is possible for them to run the games even at minimum settings correct?

thanks for the replies.

caveman26
02-16-2010, 04:29 AM
minium settings as in gfx nope you dont need to change them the only thing you need to think about are does it have a download limit and what ping can you expect to get.
the ping will be your biggest problem as most games need a goodf ping to be able to play online if your download limit is low you will be using it up fast

Vork
02-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Settings don't matter it's going to transfer the same amount on any setting.You should say you want to test it(bring your laptop and try to connect to steam and load l4d and start a game.

WeAreLegion
02-16-2010, 05:26 AM
We talking about wireless here and in my experience, it can work one day, while for it not to work the next.

On my wireless network when am using my Laptop, I have found that when it is working like it should, I can play games fine, through in the day time the ping is pretty high, about 250-500 ping, but at night time the ping is much lower.

Whatever, am able to play internet games pretty fine, the real problem is wireless is like rain in a sense, it can rain for a few minutes then stop, this means, wireless has a nasty habit of losing connection for a few seconds, this is enough for you to be disconnected in game or have insane lag.

This is my experience in my area.

seseorang
02-16-2010, 06:17 AM
I have mobile internet and have gaming ping of around 380 in Left 4 Dead :(

yidders
02-16-2010, 07:35 AM
If i were to play for something like 8 hrs a month what kind of usage could i expect? the idea being that every 5gb is $100

WeAreLegion
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
If i were to play for something like 8 hrs a month what kind of usage could i expect? the idea being that every 5gb is $100

Internet gaming doesn't really use that much bandwidth, I get 15GB's for 15 and I can have it connected and play games all day and it end up using something less then 10-30MB's per day.

If I start using playing radio through WinAMP or start browsing websites, it sky rockets.

Freakshow2599
02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I use my LG xenon for the internet from time to time. It's a dollar a day with unlimited usage (I downloaded Tropico 3 and BC2 in half a night - about 5 gigs right there) and it's fairly fast. I download at 250Kb\s and I get a ping of 110 while playing DoDs and my ping stays green in MW2.

yidders
02-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Internet gaming doesn't really use that much bandwidth, I get 15GB's for 15 and I can have it connected and play games all day and it end up using something less then 10-30MB's per day.

If I start using playing radio through WinAMP or start browsing websites, it sky rockets.

Thanks for the info, im still looking at different providers but after 5gb the price goes up to $3 (cdn) per mb and at that rate i may stop liking internet as much :) Tahts with 2 of 3 companies iv looked at anyways (Bell, telus)

Freakshow2599
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
With Rogers you get a 5gb monthly limit (3 per extra mb after the limit) with a download speed of up to 21.6Mb/s (2.7 Megabytes per second) for 90 bucks a month. That seems pretty fast to me, although you probably wouldn't be getting the full speed most of the time. But I think it would be fine for gaming.