PDA

View Full Version : Victim of the beast

Chronomorte
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
This is pretty fun, I am up to Captain (and more on some) but I have yet to beat the beast level. Anyone have a hint? I don't want a walkthrough, just a little hint that would give me another idea or two.

evilOlive
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
The beast is a bit blind and not too bright. If you are still, he may not see you. ;)

Chronomorte
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Thank you! Nice clue.

Martaction
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't get it... :eek:

Jamster1981
03-20-2010, 09:12 AM
ah me neither splain pls:confused:

Keyelite
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
What? I've beat grand admiral on beast and I can assure you, not moving is NOT a good idea. Keep with it, it took me ten minutes to finally win that.

My hint:

Guerrillas.

molunbun
03-23-2010, 11:02 PM
choose a map with more small sized planets

Nanno
03-25-2010, 11:12 AM
To best the Beast, you need to understand how he works. The Beast is dumb and likes to send all his ships to the largest planets. What I do early in the game is to evacuate all ships from the two starting planets right away in a controlled manner. During those few seconds of lead time advantage, launch your ships at several nearby large and medium-sized planets (do NOT send ships across the entire board!), making sure to evacuate 100% of your ships from your starting planets just before the Beast arrives.

The key with Beast is speed and agility, but most of all control. You must keep your ships moving quickly to take as many planets as possible, concentrating on small and medium-sized planets at first, but you must not send fleets haphazardly across the board. Once you have taken all the small and medium planets, start concentrating on the big ones. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Beast should not control ALL the large planets, because that's when his production rises and he starts taking the next size down as well. Make sure that as you're taking smaller planets, also take a couple of the big ones just when you see they are empty. Do NOT attempt to take planets where large fleets are obviously already coming and going. Watch for a small evacuation of ships and then pounce on that planet. Don't try to take it with a lot of ships... only enough to take the planet and prompt the Beast to go after it. You need all your ships to take other enemy planets, so don't waste them in direct conflict with the overwhelming force of the Beast.

One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to imitate the Beast's strategy of launching huge gobs of ships all the way across the map just to take a single planet. Spread your ships out broadly across the map, and take enemy planets by using ships from planets close by. It can help if you keep a few fleets scattered on tiny planets in different parts of the map so they are handy as soon as the Beast evacuates a nearby big planet. Incidentally, the Beast mode is probably the best one for preparing you to win an end game scenario in multi-player since many people foolishly act just like the Beast and launch 100% at big planets on the other side of the map.

Martaction
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
To best the Beast...
Nicely laid out strategy, thank you! Do you, by any chance, have a tip on Vacuum, I'm always about 3 planets / 10 seconds short on Grand Admiral and just can't seem to do it... :eek:

Incidentally, the Beast mode is probably the best one for preparing you to win an end game scenario in multi-player since many people foolishly act just like the Beast and launch 100% at big planets on the other side of the map.
Hehe! :cool:

Nimbulan
03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I beat the beast by acting like the beast. Swarm planets with tons of ships, though you have the advantage of being able to attack multiple targets at once.

Nanno
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Nicely laid out strategy, thank you! Do you, by any chance, have a tip on Vacuum, I'm always about 3 planets / 10 seconds short on Grand Admiral and just can't seem to do it... :eek:

Vacuum is hard on Grand Admiral, but I just went in and played a good handful of rounds to refresh myself. The key to beating Vacuum at this level is speed of course--you have to click like a maniac to win (select all is your friend), but you also have to be precise. You've got to evacuate ships as soon as they have taken a planet--they do no good as long as they're sitting. They also do no good while in flight. They have to be capturing. So sending ships across the map without taking anything in their path is not ideal unless you are going for large, cheap neutrals at the other end, in which case you need to get your ships there without delay.

But in your speed do not neglect precision. You don't want to over-capture. If a planet costs 18 ships, you don't want to send more than 20 ships to take it unless you also plan on taking its neighbors immediately. You also have to be precise in judging flight times to planets. Often the game is lost because you neglected the little dot in the corner with 42 ships on it. Not only do your ships have to cross the distance to get there, it will take some time for you to capture it because of the high cost. So take stock of these loner planets about mid-way through the game and send just enough ships to capture them so they don't come back to haunt you. Once again, do not over-capture them. It will do you no good to have a stockpile of 30 ships on a planet parked miles from anything else.

What often works is to quickly take all the big neutrals that aren't too expensive (less than 25 ships), set your shipping rate to 100%, and then select all and just frantically pepper every neutral with a constant barrage of ships from every planet you have. If you're peppering at a consistent rate, you won't end up with too many globs of ships in non-strategic locations. Just pay attention that lower-cost neutrals only get peppered once and higher-cost ones get several applications. This is the "precision" part of the shot-gun approach. ;)

Finally, you do occasionally come across a map that is just simply not beatable. Give it up and try another. But be warned: we're all watching you from the sidelines with tomatoes, ready to heckle you to death for being a wimp the first time you give up and click "new map". =P

Martaction
03-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks for your explanation, I'm confident I'll make it now! :D

Martaction
03-30-2010, 01:45 PM
DID IT! :D :D :cool:

nudge
05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Vacuum is hard on Grand Admiral, but I just went in and played a good handful of rounds to refresh myself. The key to beating Vacuum at this level is speed of course--you have to click like a maniac to win (select all is your friend), but you also have to be precise. You've got to evacuate ships as soon as they have taken a planet--they do no good as long as they're sitting. They also do no good while in flight. They have to be capturing. So sending ships across the map without taking anything in their path is not ideal unless you are going for large, cheap neutrals at the other end, in which case you need to get your ships there without delay.

But in your speed do not neglect precision. You don't want to over-capture. If a planet costs 18 ships, you don't want to send more than 20 ships to take it unless you also plan on taking its neighbors immediately. You also have to be precise in judging flight times to planets. Often the game is lost because you neglected the little dot in the corner with 42 ships on it. Not only do your ships have to cross the distance to get there, it will take some time for you to capture it because of the high cost. So take stock of these loner planets about mid-way through the game and send just enough ships to capture them so they don't come back to haunt you. Once again, do not over-capture them. It will do you no good to have a stockpile of 30 ships on a planet parked miles from anything else.

What often works is to quickly take all the big neutrals that aren't too expensive (less than 25 ships), set your shipping rate to 100%, and then select all and just frantically pepper every neutral with a constant barrage of ships from every planet you have. If you're peppering at a consistent rate, you won't end up with too many globs of ships in non-strategic locations. Just pay attention that lower-cost neutrals only get peppered once and higher-cost ones get several applications. This is the "precision" part of the shot-gun approach. ;)

Finally, you do occasionally come across a map that is just simply not beatable. Give it up and try another. But be warned: we're all watching you from the sidelines with tomatoes, ready to heckle you to death for being a wimp the first time you give up and click "new map". =P

You should write a guide and sticky it :) Great Hints