PDA

View Full Version : Wow... It's Bad

Gebx
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Folks,

This is for anyone still sitting on the fence about this game and its "bugs"

I'm a big fan of the Total war series (check my game profile on steam), and after reading all the bad user reviews at launch I decided to hold off on purchasing "Empire".. until a couple days ago when Steam had an awesome sale.

So far no real bugs, no crashes, everything is smooth!!

But the problem is the mechanics and the ai.. the game is.. mentally challenged (its the best way I can describe it).

One Example- enemy reinforcements came and attacked me while I was sieging a fort. The game took my "sieging" army and placed it INSIDE the fort!! Cool... but that doesn't make any sense.

Also, the AI is pretty bad, just pretend your army is filled with mentally challenged people.. (again.. I can't think of any other way to describe some of their actions or inactions) and then try to give them orders.

Anyways, this game just isn't good. If your sitting on the fence, skip it, you'll regret spending your money. If your new to the total war series, go look at the previous titles. You'll enjoy it much more.

JrvUnleashed
02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I disagree. Yeah, there are some bugs, but there is a great experience underneath it. And obviously someone hasn't played multiplayer yet. That, or is scared to...

Mormacil
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
That's not AI, that's regular programming. It seems the game has only limited reinforcement-slots on a map. I was defending a river and one army spawned behind me! :O

SiberianPenguin
02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
That's not AI, that's regular programming. It seems the game has only limited reinforcement-slots on a map. I was defending a river and one army spawned behind me! :O

the best is when your reinforcing armies don't appear at all

Gosko
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Stop playing on Easy?

Shedderz
02-18-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't know why they even added sieges and towns to Empire. they're so poorly done in this title, the game is pretty good though. Really just depends on whether you like the time period or not.

Mormacil
02-18-2010, 05:09 AM
THey removed city battles because they were no fun, that's why villages are regular battlemaps with some houses on them.

the best is when your reinforcing armies don't appear at all

Never had that.

Tummynomnom
02-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Ever since the TW series went "3D" the ai have been beyond stupid.
Also, where's the damn water? I'm fighting for a port yet there's no water and no port in sight. Pretty epic fail on their part.

Mormacil
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
That was a choice, fighting in villages (ports, workshops) etc wasn't fun so they cut that out.

ShootForTheHead
02-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi Folks,

This is for anyone still sitting on the fence about this game and its "bugs"

I'm a big fan of the Total war series (check my game profile on steam), and after reading all the bad user reviews at launch I decided to hold off on purchasing "Empire".. until a couple days ago when Steam had an awesome sale.

So far no real bugs, no crashes, everything is smooth!!

But the problem is the mechanics and the ai.. the game is.. mentally challenged (its the best way I can describe it).

One Example- enemy reinforcements came and attacked me while I was sieging a fort. The game took my "sieging" army and placed it INSIDE the fort!! Cool... but that doesn't make any sense.

Also, the AI is pretty bad, just pretend your army is filled with mentally challenged people.. (again.. I can't think of any other way to describe some of their actions or inactions) and then try to give them orders.

Anyways, this game just isn't good. If your sitting on the fence, skip it, you'll regret spending your money. If your new to the total war series, go look at the previous titles. You'll enjoy it much more.

great game, multiplayer is great, only let down is the ENEMY AI is pretty thick.

IE: LETS RUSH MAH CAVALRY AT THE LINE INFANTRY!!

Tericc
02-19-2010, 11:08 PM
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/27042/napoleon-total-war/videos/napoltotalwar_vdr_021810.html

A review from Ign On NTW. Take it as you want it but Its funny how Ign is commenting on how great the game is but yet still has all the flaws of EtW

kozzy420
02-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I disagree its a veyr fun game. Ive played for over 80 hours and only one crash.

There are a few AI issues, but its still very fun.

D_D_J
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM
i played for over 220 hours and is a gr8 game the only bug i found was that when you join a quick battle it will take you back t start menu but hey thats no reeal problem, gr8 game, gr8 multi, great multi campain but i agree the only prob is that the AI armies are thick as two short planks.

D_D_J
02-21-2010, 01:21 PM
IE: LETS RUSH MAH CAVALRY AT THE LINE INFANTRY!!

or aaahhh! line infantry! lets go into square formatin!

JrvUnleashed
02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
or aaahhh! line infantry! lets go into square formatin!

Better yet:

"OMG grenadiers! Lets get in square formation to better defend against grenades!

daniu
02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Better yet:
"OMG grenadiers! Lets get in square formation to better defend against grenades!
Or:
"OMG artillery, they have horses! Square formation!" ;)

clad iron
02-23-2010, 04:46 PM
The game has its flaws but it has allot of good points i think the best improvement is chasing down enemies in other tw titles u could take 3000 prisoners in 10 and the mele is good to watch instead of random stabs witch dont even touch ut the ctd's are a problem witch should off been on there top priority not fancy new units *i know its nothing to do with programming* with mean naff all if the game dosnt run right, bt i have noticed the older the rig the better it plays its just not compatable with the new rigs imo

mandellorian
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I find the flaws hilarious it is most amusing to watch a cannon fire and take out its own crew or cannon that decide 2 of them will fire forward and the third will randomly fire at 90 degrees to the other 2.
Then you have fire by rank troops that somehow manage to shoot themselves,unstoppable cavalry that punch through 3 infantry squares one after the other taking no casualties and destroying all 3 to finally be taken out in return by a firelock armed citizen unit in line formation in melee.

And finally we come to my personal fave galleys that blow their own sails down while shooting at me.

justininho
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
or,

"Yes, General, we know you want us to open fire but one of our unit is stuck on a tree near our starting position and you're going to have to move us around until he becomes unstuck and rejoins us or we're only good for melee."

Taco4mybritches
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
I disagree. Yeah, there are some bugs, but there is a great experience underneath it. And obviously someone hasn't played multiplayer yet. That, or is scared to...

AHH! I'm scared!

schimmel72
07-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I love this game although it has some glitches (ie crashing). The worst so far is playing single player as Prussia on hard diff; its 1746; Ive finally got a good hold on Cntrl Europe; and it locks up totally on the Ottoman turn. No CTD, just lockup.:mad:

specta
07-21-2012, 05:42 AM
The Devs admited that Empire was just much to soon for them ,It does ahave a few flaws but so do all games.

But get Darthmod for this game and its the best in serious,my opinion, You can disable forts etc if you want to.Its a massive game and a great mix of battles and micromangment and great navel battle.Its played almost as much as Shogun2 ,even after all these years , check steam stats

Play it on very hard in campain and battle and its a real test , Forget easy thats for kids on this game .

GuardofHull
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Disagree. Out of all the reviews I've read of "Empire" the one with which I agreed the most was "the best beta game ever released". The main weaknesses are the graphics with cavalry sliding across the landscape unless in close up, the forts that do look like unfinished sketches, and an engine that requires a very high spec to play.

I'm not hardest of the hardcore but I've completed Shogun Total War (original and expansion), completed Rome Total War and most of the way with another two factions, completed one of the Barbarian Invasion expansions for Rome Total War, and played Medieval Total War 2 and so far I'd rate Empire as the best of the Total War games that I played.

Rome may be better across the board but Empire is the best for gameplay. I find the computer's AI on naval battles very good indeed - it's difficult to win naval battles without a material advantage.

By the way - Empire has NEVER crashed for me - although I have experienced severe "go slows" occasionally.

Has anyone who is making the criticism of the AI thought about how many different units there are even in the vanilla game ? And all the terrain types ? Making the game internally robust (i.e. just so it doesn't crash) must be one of the labours of Hercules. My impression is that the computer is now A LOT smarter - both strategically and tactically. In Rome Total War I invariably won most battles where I didn't have an overwhelming missile advantage by turning the enemy's flank. Empire Total War seems to lack these "magic bullets". In particular a cavalry charge even to the rear or flank of aan infantry unit in good order will usually wipe out your cavalry. I've had the computer win a battle against me however by punching through a flank and going down the rear of my defensive line. The computer is also far better to see and exploit weak spots and exposed units.

There's probably no way to check but is there ANYONE on the planet who is making strategy games as complex with AI as good as the Total War Team ? I never really got into the Civs from 3 onwards and whilst "The Secrets of Alpha Centauri" is brilliant its highest difficulty levels are based on giving the other factions greater advantages in research and population control. And I've won the game as every faction on Transcend level (hardest). Twice. I think you can only criticise the AI if you can point to someone who is doing it better. It's pretty good bearing in mind it's competing against the most complex construct so far discovered in the universe.

But - one plea. Please could someone remove the bug that lets a third faction capture a territory EVEN WHEN YOU ARE BESIEGING IT AT THE TIME !

Thanks,

S.x.

Burnin simon
07-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Gosko is right..
The game can go full mentally handicapped sometimes but only on easy