PDA

View Full Version : Free games - general idea

Euqil
02-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi,

I have this idea - which I don't know if it possible. There are games, which were quite popular at the old times that have been released for free (good example being C@C:Tiberian Sun). I would like to have those on Steam and I would not mind to pay some inferior money for it (Like 3euros for AvP:Classic for example). I would like to have a collection of games I used to play. Some of them are free, some of them are not but generally it would be nice to have those old games also on the list (and have a chance to download them from Steam).
Even better idea seems to be collecting those free games and enabling downloads with a bought game - like 1 + 1 free. So if I buy some title for money, there could be unlock for one of those free games added.
I understand it would be quite complicated, but it might be a good future idea... or not?

stereophonical
02-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Valve can't just add games to Steam like that even if they're free or worse yet, sell them.
That would be criminal.

StingingVelvet
02-20-2010, 07:40 AM
There have been other free releases which have been on Steam over the years. It's not very common, but hey, why would it be? Do you give away stuff on a regular basis? I know I don't.

Europhoria
02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Valve can't just add games to Steam like that even if they're free or worse yet, sell them.
That would be criminal.

This. Valve will need to negotiate with the IP owners (in this case EA) before releasing any of their products on Steam. Also, Good Old Games (http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/) is a good place to start if you want to build up your old collection of games again. The best thing is, GoG make sure the games run on newer operating systems.

Euqil
02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Of course that there are those legal issues - but you could just ask :) Maybe it would be possible. The low price of those free titles would/should cover the support for hosting it. IMO - more games = better Steam portfolio + free advertisement for the producer.

Thank you for the link to GoG - what about your personal experience? The thing is I don't want to have 5 programs when I can just have the collection in Steam client :cool:

Jaml123
02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
First a lot of the develpers of past games donīt exist anymore today so it could be hard to get to the source code of some games.
Then those old games are coded for DOS or Win95/98/ME and arenīt compatible with Windows Xp/Vista/7 so they wonīt work without major adjustments and therefore it simply isnīt profitable to do since most people are not interested in old games. There may be a few titles where it is feasible but for the most part games do not age well from both a technical and gameplay point of view.

dBeta
02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the link to GoG - what about your personal experience? The thing is I don't want to have 5 programs when I can just have the collection in Steam client :cool:
The GoG client is entirely optional, you can download your games with your browser, the DRM is absent and you can add them on Steam's game list just as well as a retail game.

DarkOmegaX
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Only in the mind of a true Steam zealot not-free is better than free. It's like asking Valve to take away your money for no good reason =/

Toto pectore
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM

I have there over 40 games, can't say a bad word about it. No DRM - no client needed to download or even to run games, high speed download, nice prices, good community around.
As I said, there is no client - just downloader - and you don't have to use it and download your games via their site.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_IFGi_qw3un0/S4WJ4cHfkpI/AAAAAAAAANE/vhtg16HUg6s/gggg.jpg

natemckn
02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Even better idea seems to be collecting those free games and enabling downloads with a bought game - like 1 + 1 free. So if I buy some title for money, there could be unlock for one of those free games added.
I understand it would be quite complicated, but it might be a good future idea... or not?

Kind of like what Rockstar did with the GTA Pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/605/) by including GTA 1&2, which they previously released for free (http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/).
I like the idea

Euqil
02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Only in the mind of a true Steam zealot not-free is better than free. It's like asking Valve to take away your money for no good reason =/
No - but having it on the list, not having to search for it when I want to download it, ability to download it even after couple years from now on when it will vanish from public servers, solved issues and other content is for me worth the buck.

Euqil
02-27-2010, 06:42 AM
awesomness

Euqil
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
maybe it would be nice to get something if you buy a game collection of which you own games already :)

Etherus
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I really also would love to see for them to add:

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Maybe they can discuss with EA, since they give it free anyway would be nice to have it on steam, I would even pay a euro :P to get this on steam.

leveller
03-01-2010, 01:05 AM
I support this. As the OP suggests, there have been lots of games released to public domain and they are tiny in filesize in comparison to todays beasts. Add them to Steam.