PDA

View Full Version : No LAN or dedicated servers in Command & Conquer 4

cadpig
02-20-2010, 08:46 AM
I think no Lan for a RTS game is insane.

http://www.destructoid.com/no-lan-or-dedicated-server-support-for-command-conquer-4-164070.phtml

No LAN or dedicated servers for starcraft 2 either

What do you guys think? :o

airblad3
02-20-2010, 10:53 AM
As far as I know Starcraft 2 is getting a pseudo-LAN mode, you need to log in to battle net before you can host/join a LAN game.

Vezner
02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
No LAN = teh suck!

No Deds = who gives a shiz? It's an RTS and I can't recall the last time an RTS had a ded server. It's always P2P.

Aesir Rising
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
No LAN = teh suck!

No Deds = who gives a shiz? It's an RTS and I can't recall the last time an RTS had a ded server. It's always P2P.

The point was that if you didn't have a peer networking option, perhaps you could have LAN/WAN client+server hosting models. So when you eloquently said, "No LAN = teh suck" you apparently didn't realize it, but you were speaking about both peer and dedicated server models. So please allow me to fix you:

"No LAN or Deds = teh suck"

Zefar
02-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Name me one RTS game that had dedicated servers.

Vezner
02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
The point was that if you didn't have a peer networking option, perhaps you could have LAN/WAN client+server hosting models. So when you eloquently said, "No LAN = teh suck" you apparently didn't realize it, but you were speaking about both peer and dedicated server models. So please allow me to fix you:

"No LAN or Deds = teh suck"

Sorry, you're wrong. The simple fact of the matter is the only bad thing about this is the lack of LAN support for LAN parties that may not have internet available. But dedicated servers are completely irrelevant to an RTS.

Pinworm45
03-11-2010, 08:39 PM

Does Saga count?

Regardless, lan would be kind of redundant with this game, since it requires you to be logged into your account like an MMO which means you need internet anyway.

jschenk
03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
What do you guys think? :o
I think that PC gamers have brought this onto themselves.

luciferosX
03-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, I'm sure b.net and other systems will suffice with about 16+ computers/laptops connected to the same connection. Won't be a problem with lag at all. I take it these businessmen haven't ever been with a huge group of players in the same room eating doritoes and mountain dew all night with several games going on at once.

With no LAN, they're screwed.

Aesir Rising
03-12-2010, 10:11 AM
[And also for Vezner]

My own point got muddled. I had hamachi on the brain was considering LAN over WAN type services such as game ranger, hamachi, the old Papyrus Hawaii servers, and so on.

Sorry for the belated response. Carry on.

Spectralmeat
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
With no LAN, they're screwed.

I don't know about that.
I agree it does suck that you guys can not play this game in a LAN party setting, but this day and age I am not sure how popular those LAN parties are still.

Just because that is an important feature for you it doesn't mean that majority of players really play LAN much these days. I personally much prefer to play MP games from the comfort of my own home instead of carry my PC and everything around to one of my buddies place.

That's just me though.

Hildezard
03-16-2010, 03:50 AM
everyones trying to create a profile for you like in an mmo since WoW was such a hit. Game makers also saw that the moneyspending caste of the gamers had pockets full of cash since they'll pay 15$ monthly for a game. That is blizzards DRM whereas they make 45$ game with free multi but the catch is 2 play u need an internet conn.

The way the devs see it is; no internet->pc not good enough 4 high graphics->not enough money-> why even bother making a game for a cheapo? (The devs want money too and they are greedy)

thats also how apple thinks too...

personally i agree with jschenk when he said that gamers brought this to themselves, because they did.

This is me with as a mac pro and an ex hard-core wow farmer. so not really biased. just facts.

EDIT: but i do hate the fact that theres no LAN.

llanger
03-16-2010, 06:01 AM
LAN is just for the people, who dont want to buy this game but download it illegally.

Fine for me, i buy moy games.

Quote:

"PC-Players have brought that onto themselves"

So right!

tron_vix
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
LAN is just for the people, who dont want to buy this game but download it illegally.

Fine for me, i buy moy games.

Quote:

"PC-Players have brought that onto themselves"

So right!

llanger... You are... sooo ridiculous...
I've a LOT of games... I've C&C1 , C&C2 , C&C3 TW + KW all of them... No LAN ? I think I will pass this C&C...
One example... C&C3 servers went down some weeks ago... A friend and I , went to hamachi to play throught LAN... And BOTH have bought C&C3.... What will happened IF C&C4 servers go down too ? We can't play... period...
With LAN , We can play with Hamachi , etc... We HAVE the alternative...
Without LAN... No server , no play...
Don't be ridiculous guys... It's serious...
Always WAN to play SP game it's abomination...

I don't really believe.. I love C&C... Really , Love... I have even keep the first CD and Manual .. C&C1,C&C2 and 3....

I don't believe WHAT EA are doing with C&C4... and the gameplay .. What i've read... it's ... NOT C&C...

With these DRM and C&C4 not being C&C... No buy...

It's a shame...

AuraofMana
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Regardless, lan would be kind of redundant with this game, since it requires you to be logged into your account like an MMO which means you need internet anyway.
That's not the purpose of LAN.