PDA

View Full Version : Holy Difficulty Batman!

Adam Banman
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Is it just me, or is this games difficulty the product of a dying mad mans nightmares?

Now don't get me wrong, I am no stranger to this genre, played all 3 Baldur's gate games, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2. But this game just violates me with an unlubricated broomstick, never has my booty been whipped so consistently than while playing Dragon Age!

Every encounter is like a boss fight, requiring the chugging of numerous potions and awlays ending in at least one person going down.

The only way I can win most fights is by employing cheap tactics to exploit game AI, like running one character in first, gathering agro, then having my other 3 draw one away and hammer him, while my first man runs around in circles on the other side of the map, kiting the baddies in circles over and over. This isn't exactly fun, but when I face the enemeis head on, I simply get crushed in a heartbeat, regardless of how well I coordinate my stuns/crowd control. My team simply is incapable of standing against this games enemies. What is a girl to do!

The last boss was the worst of the worst. I could not, for even a second, get close to that damn demon/dragon. All I could do was hope my available armies held his aggro while I pelted him with arrows and spells for 20 minutes, it was boring and anti-climactic.

The first time I played this game I was a shield specced warrior, this time I'm trying to play a rogue, and it's even harder, I was forced to play on easy mode the first time, but I would like to have a play through on at least normal.

If your planning on responding with the classic "Haha newb, i pwnzord this gamez its EZ." Save your time, what I'm asking, is wether or not I'm missing something here. There must be some strategy or key gameplay element I've overlooked.

Help me Steam forum, you're my only hope!.. Wait, what's that sound?...*window breaks and darkspawn rush in, bend Adam over and proceed to once again, ♥♥♥♥ him with a broomstick."

marsson
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Well I played through the game on normal the first time, and yes it's hard as hell sometimes. Though I found the game to be a lot easier if you pause with space a lot and give orders to all of you teammates instead of just letting them choose their actions by their own. Be sure to level up Wynne/Morrigan so that they have their strongest healing/magic-attacks later on in the game. My character was a sword/shield-wielding noble human.
I used Alistair, Wynne and Morrigan since I found them to complement eachother pretty well during bigger fights. I rushed head onto the darkspawn with my warrior and Alistair, while Wynne and Morrigan was placed safely further back, attacking/healing without getting attacked themselves.
Don't know if this'll help you but that's how I managed to survive most of the time :)

kaheiyeh
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
The basic thing is to have Wynne and Morrigan as previously mentioned. Spec them both into Spirit Healers and you shouldn't have any trouble with any fight as long as at least one of them is in your party.

Adam Banman
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes I always had Morrigan with me, though I never got Wynne, don't even know who she is to be honest, but Morigan was always my healer, and once she got heals, things got a hell of alot easier.

And I always use the pause feature (remember, Baldur's gate vet here =P), you have too if you plan to kite 3 or 4 guys on one side of the map and coordinate the rest of your team on the other.

As for party members, what I'm missing is a tank. I just recruited Sten, and he's a complete waste! Little girls could tank better than this wussy!

But ATM, I can't continue, on all sides there are encounters blocking my paths that I can't seem to overcome, deffinetly was easier when I was a tank.

marsson
02-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Wynne is the old lady you encounter at the Circle of Magi, she's awesome as a healer, so if you team her up with Morrigan your team will be pretty strong.
If you can't continue, try backtracking if the story allows you to...

Washell
02-23-2010, 07:42 AM
If you can't restrain yourself from taking the easy way out and feel you may blame me in the future for 'ruining' the game, don't read the following.

Turn every fight into easy mode, even when difficulty is set to nightmare:

Tank with good agro skills.
Mage(s) with force field spell (cast on tank after he got agro)
Mage(s) with spellmight, tempest and blizzard (combo turns in Storm of the Century, cast on tank after forcefield)

The Noobisizer
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
It was challenging for me the first time around on hard, but on my second playthrough on nightmare, things don't usually live long enough for me to feel any kind of challenge. As soon as you gain a better understanding of the mechanics of the game, it becomes very easy, very fast.

But then again... I was hardened to difficult games with Battletoads for the NES way back when I about 6-8.

I'm thinking about installing the nightmare difficulty enhancing mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Adam Banman
02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
It was challenging for me the first time around on hard, but on my second playthrough on nightmare, things don't usually live long enough for me to feel any kind of challenge. As soon as you gain a better understanding of the mechanics of the game, it becomes very easy, very fast.

But then again... I was hardened to difficult games with Battletoads for the NES way back when I about 6-8.

I'm thinking about installing the nightmare difficulty enhancing mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Battletoads?! Yeesh, you are indeed a mad man.

Waruins
02-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I finished normal mode without great difficulty except on the final fight with the dragon.

Im trying Hard difficulty now and its a challenge for me. Im not sure how you guys are doing nightmare!

Im in the early part so I dont have Wynne yet but I do plan on getting her after Redcliffe. I dont think these harder modes can be done without a healer or playing a mage.

I dont think Im that bad at tactics ...I might be! Actually the biggest trouble I encounter usually is enemy casters, who always stun on the opener or at least hex me with the death mark (cannot heal or be healed). And this early in the game, there just isnt enough +spell resistance to overcome it seems so I always get killed on those moments.

I don't know you guys must have some secret to find nightmare and such so easy.

Abremms
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
i had alot of difficulty on normal/hard modes early on untill i learned to use traps and prepare the battlefield. you can often thin out several of the weaker enemies with shapnel traps. holding traps are great on tougher foes if you have an archer and/or mage to light them up. Also if your PC is a rogue, or you spec Liliena of Zevron right, you can set traps while stealthed.

having a sturdy tank is pretty key. i used Alistar and it worked great once he got enough skills. was touch and go in the early game though.

@Waruins, use the Elves on the final fight, since you can find their upgrade mats literaly everywhere, as well as buy them fairly cheap in stacks of 99 from the dalish, its easy to get them kitted out and their ranged attacks are very effective. imo avoid using them until that fight if you can, so they will still be at full strength.

Adam Banman
02-26-2010, 01:44 PM
i had alot of difficulty on normal/hard modes early on untill i learned to use traps and prepare the battlefield. you can often thin out several of the weaker enemies with shapnel traps. holding traps are great on tougher foes if you have an archer and/or mage to light them up. Also if your PC is a rogue, or you spec Liliena of Zevron right, you can set traps while stealthed.

having a sturdy tank is pretty key. i used Alistar and it worked great once he got enough skills. was touch and go in the early game though.

@Waruins, use the Elves on the final fight, since you can find their upgrade mats literaly everywhere, as well as buy them fairly cheap in stacks of 99 from the dalish, its easy to get them kitted out and their ranged attacks are very effective. imo avoid using them until that fight if you can, so they will still be at full strength.

Yeah my problem is im lacking anyone who can stand on their feet for more than 5 seconds.

Allistar is probably my best bet (sten is a ♥♥♥♥♥) but the problem is, I hate Allistar, hes sarcastic, lame, and annoying xD

Abremms
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
any warrior can fill the tanking roll if you turn off auto-level and spec them for shields and such with a heavy STR and CON and a balance of DEX (or is it AGI? cant remember atm.). imo get the no-follower-autolevel mod soes you don't need to worry about getting a new party member with points already spent in something you didn;t want.

infernox3470
02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Once you learn how to play the game becomes pretty easy. (Even without mages)

Nightmare is only really challenging for the first 10 or so levels because once you get the good gear you just dominate anything.

Adam Banman
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
any warrior can fill the tanking roll if you turn off auto-level and spec them for shields and such with a heavy STR and CON and a balance of DEX (or is it AGI? cant remember atm.). imo get the no-follower-autolevel mod soes you don't need to worry about getting a new party member with points already spent in something you didn;t want.

That would be handy, was pissed when I grabbed the dwarf and he was all 2 handed, and when i got Sten and he was all two handed... hmmm.

wazups 2x
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I admit it, I suck at this game. Normal is a nightmare for me, I don't know what people are doing differently than me.

Adam Banman
02-27-2010, 05:49 AM
I admit it, I suck at this game. Normal is a nightmare for me, I don't know what people are doing differently than me.

Yay im not alone =P

Lawnmooer
03-05-2010, 05:55 AM
currently im playing on nightmare.... im bored a bit with the ease once i got Wynn (im playing a tank warrior) as soon as i got her i switched her tactics so that she did no attacking and now its really easy D: i only use the potions on Morigan (she only has 10 Constitution :D ) though i did get her Waking Nightmare which pwns large groups :)

syrupwontstopem
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah my problem is im lacking anyone who can stand on their feet for more than 5 seconds.

Allistar is probably my best bet (sten is a ♥♥♥♥♥) but the problem is, I hate Allistar, hes sarcastic, lame, and annoying xD

Arrrg I hate Alistair! So whiny, just like Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware always puts one whiny annoying overly sensitive male in all their games).

Jojo911
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Really don't like being forced to take a certain party member with me or have the battle be nearly impossible. My soloution was to lower the difficulty after the 3rd or 4th time going after the same group/battle/boss. Maybe I am just not that good but I still enjoyed the game.

Arrrg I hate Alistair! So whiny, just like Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware always puts one whiny annoying overly sensitive male in all their games).

I know lol. You know they actually had Carth's Voice actor in Mass Effect, he wasn't as whiny but I hated him because he made me think of Carth.

Perfect example of why I would rather choose my party based on who I like, rather than who can heal or whatever.

Zoinker
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
--Possible Spoilers---

For those who may not be aware of it already, going through the main quests in a certain order allows for a more linear difficulty curve. For example, If you go straight for Orzamar after Lothering, you WILL have a hard time since you're really supposed to go there late in the game (ever wonder what those ultra nasty bandits are doing there? Well, BioWare pretty much put them there to deter you from going there until you've leveled yourself up a bit). Basically, the best order is as follows:

-Origin and Ostagar
-Lothering and whatever DLC you might have (finishing DLC's won't remove Lothering from the map)
-Mage Tower (Also good since you get Wynne early)
-Redcliffe (Until you've dealt with the Arl's son)
-Brecillian forest
-Sacred Ashes quest
-Orzammar
-Denerim
-Endgame

AuraofMana
03-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Here's what I use to faceroll through the game. BTW, this game IS easy. There is no excuse. I played BG2 to the death too, and soloing in BG2 as a Mage required a lot of exploits (Death Fog, Fireball into room while avoiding LOS, traps, conversation combat bug, pickpocket duplicate item bug, pathing bug, lightning bounce exploit, etc.)

Warrior Tank:
Stats:
Strength: Enough to hit 38 (so hard points + equipment bonus)
Dexterity: Max
Willpower: Base
Magic: Base
Cunning: Base (Main character gets bonus from the Fade to +5 and you only need 16 to max Coercion). 16 if you want tactic slots.
Constitution: Base

Strength is to wear the Juggernaut Armor Set. You can wear the Blood Dragon Armor Set before you get it. Dexterity is maxed for dodge. You do not and will never need anything into Willpower and Constitution for ANY CHARACTER in the game. You only need enough Constitution to survive ONE attack before heals come in. Less health but more dodge rate = your heal are worth more. I am not going to explain it but it should be obvious why.

Skills:
Coercion if this is the main character and you want additional options (recommended)
Tactic slots (none if you want to control everything or this is the main character)
Combat Mastery all the way for obvious reasons
Survival Max for nature + physical resist
Pickpocket 1 if this is the main character for a quest

Talents:
All skills in Sword and Shield, top 4 (into Death Blow) of Warrior talents, first 2 in the second row of Warrior Talent. Go for Champion (Allistair starts as Templar). Max both specializations. Take defensive talents first, then get the rest. Do not use talent tomes on him. Even if you can respec, Templar is still used for tanking.

Items: (Not definitive, only listing the best items, but there are only one of these items so you can't have it on all characters)
Note: Don't bother with +% to healing, that effect is bugged
Armor: Juggernaut Armor Set (helmet, body, glove, boots)
Shield: Champion's Shield -> Howe's Shield
Weapon: Get a dagger with 3 sockets and put in +Magic Resist runes. Dagger is used because your high Dexterity gives the most damage.
Belt: Andruil's Blessing
Note: For the main character, use Archivist's Sash when reading Codex for extra XP and Dwarven Merchant's Belt if you want extra money
Amulet: Spellward
Rings: Key to the City / Lifegiver / Ring of Ages

Tactics: Set him to tank, Taunt if monsters are attacking the casters, and use Shield Bash to stop HIS CURRENT enemy from casting. Use the rest of the abilities yourself. Run in with Rally, Threaten (may not need), Shield Defense.

Rogue DPS:
Stats:
Strength: Enough to hit 20 (so hard points + equipment bonus)
Dexterity: 35 hard points (for talents req. you need hard points)
Magic: Base
Cunning: Max

Strength is to wear armor, and 35 Dex is to hit talents (Evasion). You can choose not to get Evasion, but you'll get a lot of points. If you choose not to get Evasion, you should get at least 30 Dex for tier 7 daggers. Cunning is for damage.

Skills:
Coercion if this is the main character and you want additional options (recommended)
Tactic slots (none if you want to control everything or if this is the main character, and even if you aren't, you don't need all 4... 2-3 is good enough)
Combat Mastery all the way for obvious reasons
Pickpocket max
Anything else is up to you. Trap making and Poison making all add to party DPS and allow some quests to be done.

Talents:
Everything in Rogue other than Feign Death. 3 points into top DW row and bottom DW row. Get 2 points in the middle for Riposte if you need another stun. Chances are you won't. Get Assassin and Bard specialization. Max Assassin and only put 3 points into Bard (for Song of Courage).

Items: (Not definitive, only listing the best items, but there are only one of these items so you can't have it on all characters)
Armor: Felon's Coat
Helmet: Helm of Honnleath
Glove: Red Jenny's Seekers (for backstab +15%)
Boots: Silverhammer's Taskmasters
Weapons: Rose's Thorn (main) and t7 Crow Dagger (+15% backstab), fit Grandmaster + frost/fire/electric damage runes.
Belt: Andruil's Blessing / Shadow Belt
Note: For the main character, use Archivist's Sash when reading Codex for extra XP and Dwarven Merchant's Belt if you want extra money
Amulet: Amulet of Accord
Rings: Key to the City / Harvest Festival Ring / Dusk / The Wicked Oath

Tactics: Set the Rogue to Stealth and run in (or not, doesn't matter). Use Deadly Strike / Mark of Death / Below the Belt on bosses. Use Dirty Fighting on enemies to backstab them or to stop them from attacking your casters. Run in with Momentum and Song of Courage.

CC Mage:
Stats:
Strength: Base
Dexterity: Base
Magic: Max
Cunning: Base (Main character gets bonus from the Fade to +5 and you only need 16 to max Coercion). 16 if you want tactic slots.

You will never need anything into Willpower. Trust me on this.

Skills:
Tactic slots (none if you want to control everything or if this is the main character, and even if you aren't, you don't need all 4... 2-3 is good enough)
Combat Mastery: 2 points (for bonus mana regen). You shouldn't get hit anyway. If you want you can pour in more points and max it, but it's not necessary.
Pickpocket 1 if you want a quest line
Anything else is up to you. Herbalism is pretty good for making potions, but you should find enough potions along the way.

Talents:
Use Spell tomes on this. If this is your main character, also get an extra point from the Redcliffe quest.
Up to you, but I use these:
1 Arcane (you start with this, even with respec Arcane Bolt is useful). You can get all 4 if you want, not really that great but you'll have extra points left.
4 Earth
3 Cold
3 Glyphs
3-4 Summoning (Useful if you have extra points left)
4 Mana Alteration
4 Telekinesis
4 Hexes (Useful, but can get it on another Mage)
4 Sleep
Specialization: Blood Mage and Spirit Healer
3 points into Blood Mage, 4th spell is meh, but you can get it if you want.

You can get 1 Healing and 4 Enhancements if you want. Enhancements helps your melee attackers (and everyone runs faster). You can also sustain Frost Weapon (Flaming is not worth it, doesn't work on end boss). You don't want to fatigue this character out though, CC is more important than healing because enemies won't be able to do anything, including attacking your characters.

Armor: Reaper's Vestment / First Enchanter Robes / Robes of Avernus / Tevinter Mage Robes
Helmet: The Libertarian's Cowl
Glove: Black Hand Gauntlets
Boots: Fade Striders
Weapon: Final Reason / Staff of the Magister Lord / Corrupted Magister's Staff
Belt: Andruil's Blessing / Destructionist's Belt
Amulet: Lifedrinker
Rings: Key to the City / Blood Ring

Tactics: CC bosses (Petrify, Glyph of Paralysis, Cone of Cold), use Cone of Cold as much as possible (and shatter someone with Stonefist), and use Glyph of Warding on the tank. You can use Blood Wound -> Sleep -> Horror one -> Waking Nightmare to CC a huge group for a very long time. Use Glyph of Repulsion to block key locations (like behind the tank so monsters can't run to you) and you can combine it with Glyph of Paralysis. Use Spellbloom on casters on your team if you have it. Mana Clash pretty much instantly kills enemy casters, so use that too.

Healer/Buff Mage:
Stats:
Strength: Base
Dexterity: Base
Magic: Max

You will never need anything into Willpower. Trust me on this.

Skills:
Combat Mastery: 2 points (for bonus mana regen). You shouldn't get hit anyway. If you want you can pour in more points and max it, but it's not necessary.
Pickpocket 1 if you want a quest line
Anything else is up to you. Herbalism is pretty good for making potions, but you should find enough potions along the way.

Talents:
Don't use Spell tomes on this. If this is your main character, also get an extra point from the Redcliffe quest.
Up to you, but I use these:
1 Arcane (you start with this, even with respec Arcane Bolt is useful). You can get all 4 if you want, not really that great but you'll have extra points left.
4 Earth
3 Cold
4 Healing
4 Enhancement
3 Glyphs
1 Mana Alteration if you want (for Vulnerability + Mana Drain)
4 Hexes (Useful, but can get it on another Mage)
Specialization: Blood Mage and Spirit Healer
3 points into Blood Mage, 4th spell is meh, but you can get it if you want.
4 points into Spirit Healer

You can get Flaming Weapons if you want to get Frost / Flaming Weapons combo. Or you can forget that and run Telekinetic Weapons on the other Mage with Frost Weapons on this one. If you find yourself having mana problems and don't want to chuck potions, you don't have to do it. It's not essential.

Armor: Reaper's Vestment / First Enchanter Robes / Tevinter Mage Robes
Helmet: The Libertarian's Cowl
Glove: Black Hand Gauntlets
Boots: Fade Striders
Weapon: Staff of the Magister Lord / Corrupted Magister's Staff
Belt: Andruil's Blessing / Destructionist's Belt
Amulet: Lifedrinker
Rings: Key to the City / Whatever, there's not that many great rings for non-DPS Mage

Tactics: CC bosses (Petrify, Glyph of Paralysis, Cone of Cold), use Cone of Cold as much as possible (and shatter someone with Stonefist), and use Glyph of Warding on the tank. Heal and use Rejuvenation / Mass Rejuvenation to replenish Mana / Stamina. Use Heroic Aura and Defense on the Tank and Heroic Offense on the Rogue.

Waukeen
03-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Chances are your specced all wrong. Game can be tough as hell if thats the case, look at the post above mine for ideas on how to spec out.

Honestly I dont know what your problem is as I have played this game multiple times on normal, hard and now nightmare without problems. Actaully scratch that theone place I do have problems on all of it is the defense of Redcliff village. Other then that usually just keep powering through the mobs.

On a side note there were "3" Baldur's Gate games? News to me :P

There were only two, each with its own expansion. Still have my copies of those around here too. Unless you are referring to that attrocity called Dark Alliance. Of which there are 2.

Tikbalang
03-09-2010, 05:26 AM
You might wish to use these before encountering any darkspawn if you having difficulties.
http://www.jaspermorrison.com/images/projects/table_cork.jpg

Take your pick.

On-topic though, a good tactic as others have mentioned is to have your tank run in the centre of a group of enemies, spam all his available taunts adn then cast Forcefield on him. This will leave you to pick off the incredibly pissed off mobs hitting your invulnerable tank.

Also note that the downtime between the duration fo the spell and its cd is enough to retaunt everything before putting the spell back on your tank.

surreal
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Here's what I use to faceroll through the game. BTW, this game IS easy. There is no excuse. I played BG2 to the death too, and soloing in BG2 as a Mage required a lot of exploits (Death Fog, Fireball into room while avoiding LOS, traps, conversation combat bug, pickpocket duplicate item bug, pathing bug, lightning bounce exploit, etc.)

Yes, BG2 was much harder than this...

In any case, you can also make warrior DPS by going into DW branch, the advantage in doing this is that you don't need a tank so much anymore (except for fights with dragon and fight with Cauthrien), and your rogue/bard can now focus on crowd control with Captivating Song instead of DPS'ing with backstabs, and if you bring two mages (which makes the game easy anyway) you can make really great spell combos, just make sure that Morrigan and Wynne specialize in different branches to make the most of it.
Yes, the DW warrior will deal less DPS than the rogue, but will be much more durable and allows more variation in party selection.

Sifer2
03-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I am playing for the first time on Normal now and I can kind of see what people mean. You must make use of the pause function to really micro manage things or you get owned. But this is what makes the game good in my opinion. It actually requires you pay attention an use some strategy. Instead of being a hack an slash like too many RPG's are these days.

My only complaint is it seems like your a tad too reliant on Mages. Without their healing an crowd control it doesn't seem like you could win encounters IMO since your often outnumbered so much.

surreal
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
My only complaint is it seems like your a tad too reliant on Mages. Without their healing an crowd control it doesn't seem like you could win encounters IMO since your often outnumbered so much.

On Normal you don't really need mages. Healing can be replaced with potions (mobs don't deal that much damage), while crowd control can be managed by your bard or Shale (although Shale is less than optimal for this, but does the job on Normal).

My only complaint is that the end-game area doesn't require you to utilize the full spectrum of your abilities. In fact it's the easiest area you fight in, you can solo through 95% of it (and calling for armies is totally useless). And the Archedeamon fight is a total cluster♥♥♥♥ with so many allies joining the battlefield, while they're totally unneeded and just get in your way.
In my first playthrough I really expected that the end-game will ultimately test your build, but no such thing happened.

Adam Banman
03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Chances are your specced all wrong. Game can be tough as hell if thats the case, look at the post above mine for ideas on how to spec out.

Honestly I dont know what your problem is as I have played this game multiple times on normal, hard and now nightmare without problems. Actaully scratch that theone place I do have problems on all of it is the defense of Redcliff village. Other then that usually just keep powering through the mobs.

On a side note there were "3" Baldur's Gate games? News to me :P

There were only two, each with its own expansion. Still have my copies of those around here too. Unless you are referring to that attrocity called Dark Alliance. Of which there are 2.

I was refering to Throne of Bhaal, which ended the series, and so I count it.

ozavatar
03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Mass sleep -> Mass confusion -> Blizzard = whole room dead
Cone of Cold -> earth fist thingy = shattery goodness

healer with heal, heal party and the ongoing heal (with injury removal) = win

tank and spank etc.

Mages are OP in this game, Cone of Cold is prob the most powerful. Since it works on most bosses XD

NuclearKetchup
03-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Be careful about basing everything around Morrigan if you're trying to go for the good guy ending.

AuraofMana
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
You can beat the game on Normal with no problem with no Mage. People have also posted videos of themselves doing "No Mage, No Potions" Nightmare runs. Although that requires you to actually abuse the AI vulnerability and min-max your character.
Just make sure you are speccing your characters to do their job and nothing more. If you want to make a full-fledged tank, make sure every aspect of the character is geared for that. Anything else is extra, and shouldn't be used if it sacrifices tanking capability. That is always the easiest way. If you really want to get down to min-maxing, you can give up certain tanking ability for more DPS because you know how much you need. That requires experience in playing the game, though.
Don't bother with AOE spells with Mage if you can't handle friendly fire. Make Mages CC and Buff/Healer and let someone else worry about the DPS.
Remember: DW Backstab Rogue has the ability to deal the most damage in the game. NO OTHER BUILD CAN TOP THIS.

DarkNyvek
03-16-2010, 07:26 AM
I noticed it a couple times, but it can't be stressed enough: PAUSE IS YOUR FRIEND! I played through the game on normal, without pausing during battles and just relying on my companions tactics. I played a dual wielding human noble warrior. My party consisted of Leiliana, Wynne, and Shale. Between me and Shale, we held aggro all day long, while Lei laid waste to everything and Wynne healed us. I admit, I did find it difficult on this play through, but I really enjoyed it. I started my second play through(City elf rogue) on Nightmare mode, and I have it set to auto pause at the hint of a bad guy. I must admit I find the game a bit easier to play this go round. But then again, I just got to Lothering, so take that with a grain of salt. =) Point is, any game is "easy" on any difficulty, so long as you "spec" things right, make use of things given to you, and follow the "golden path". Trick is to find what makes it fun for you, and then stick with that. =)

Foxfire15
03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Indeed. I find all the micromanaging tedious, so I tend to just play on easy, and mess around with the different story choices. It's not that I can't do it on a higher difficulty, but rather that it takes the fun out of the game for me when I have to pause every 1/2 second and it takes me 10 minutes to finish what's actually a 30 second fight in game (ok, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

AuraofMana
03-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Indeed. I find all the micromanaging tedious, so I tend to just play on easy, and mess around with the different story choices. It's not that I can't do it on a higher difficulty, but rather that it takes the fun out of the game for me when I have to pause every 1/2 second and it takes me 10 minutes to finish what's actually a 30 second fight in game (ok, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

No, I don't. You can beat Nightmare without ever using pause. All it takes is to build your character right.

surreal
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
No, I don't. You can beat Nightmare without ever using pause. All it takes is to build your character right.

Optimum speccing isn't enough for some fights (Cauthrien for instance). Some fights require you to make strategic moves, or if you're having some real hard time you can also abuse the AI.
I'd like to see someone beat Cauthrien on Nightmare without pausing and without going into the back room.
With pause it's a very very challenging fight! IMHO, without it, it's impossible to win (unless back room).

Teranasaurus
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Every encounter is like a boss fight, requiring the chugging of numerous potions and awlays ending in at least one person going down.

The encounters in dragon age are designed to be challenging. In previous games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate consumables were meant to sustain you over time. In Dragon Age you more or less instantly heal to full after a fight which means the fights are designed to require consumable use.

The only way I can win most fights is by employing cheap tactics to exploit game AI, like running one character in first, gathering agro, then having my other 3 draw one away and hammer him, while my first man runs around in circles on the other side of the map, kiting the baddies in circles over and over. This isn't exactly fun, but when I face the enemeis head on, I simply get crushed in a heartbeat, regardless of how well I coordinate my stuns/crowd control. My team simply is incapable of standing against this games enemies. What is a girl to do!

You need to look at your party as a single entity. Build them in such a way that they work together. Unless you're building a power group you need a healer and a tank. Alistair and Shale both make excellent tanks, Wynne is your best bet for healer but you could do that yourself if the protagonist is a mage or just spec morrigan into it. Cone of cold and crushing prison are great spells and to be honest if your damage output is even mediocre it's all you should need. Make sure you focus fire enemies down.

The last boss was the worst of the worst. I could not, for even a second, get close to that damn demon/dragon. All I could do was hope my available armies held his aggro while I pelted him with arrows and spells for 20 minutes, it was boring and anti-climactic.

Why didn't you use the ballista?

The first time I played this game I was a shield specced warrior, this time I'm trying to play a rogue, and it's even harder, I was forced to play on easy mode the first time, but I would like to have a play through on at least normal.

My first play was as a shield specced warrior, it was good for learning the game. My insanity run was as a rogue. I used a protagonist rogue (assassin/bard), sten (dual wield zerker), oghren (dual wield zerker/champion), and wynne (dual wield spirit healer/arcane warrior) and with this group I ran over every encounter in the game like it was a speed bump, occasionally needing wynne to heal. This party over simplified the game and it really wasn't quite as fun to play as I really just right clicked the whole time.

If your planning on responding with the classic "Haha newb, i pwnzord this gamez its EZ." Save your time, what I'm asking, is wether or not I'm missing something here. There must be some strategy or key gameplay element I've overlooked.

More information would have been helpful. You didn't tell us how you play or what group setup you use.