PDA

View Full Version : No LAN support for Bad Company 2! defend your right to LAN

Rahab_mx
02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
German games magazine Gamestar recently had an interview with Patrick Bach, Senior Producer on Battlefield Bad Company 2. The interview reveals some information about the upcoming FPS title from DICE.

Bach confirmed that Bad Company 2 won’t contain any LAN functionality, however he announces that the studio may consider adding it at a later date.

Guys we have asked for the LAN feature for months and DICE never had the pants to answer us and now 7 days before the release they come with this back stab.

Seems we need to show DICE and EA why we PC gamers are different to the console crowd of isolated individuals, that we are united and that we are not going to allow this kind of scams.

Bump this thread to demand EA and DICE to do a formal commitment to provide us LAN functionality!

mundox86
02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Not having public server files should have hinted at no lan support, but hey
"however he announces that the studio may consider adding it at a later date."

I really doubt EA or DICE reads this forums.

Exetus
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
How can you fail to understand if users get no access to dedi server files that somehow you would get access to them to run a local LAN server???

Dingo
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
LOL, I haven't played LAN in a battlefield game since BF1942 back in 2002.

Game companies don't care about LAN now that we have fast internet speeds.

Rahab_mx
02-22-2010, 09:46 PM
How can you fail to understand if users get no access to dedi server files that somehow you would get access to them to run a local LAN server???

BF2142 does not allow end users to set up dedicated servers on the internet yet they can create local servers and the same goes for BF2

@Dingo

LANing is not only about having better pings is about playing with or against your friends face to face and get in touch with more people that shares the same tastes. if having a better latency is your notion of a LAN party then that says a lot of how much you socialize

masterfula
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
yes we care since we still have lan party's

Dangerdog
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
LAN support is dead, and not just with this game.

Boneszee
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
people still have lan parties?

Optional
02-22-2010, 10:24 PM

I haven't had a lan party since Counter-Strike 1.3..or something to that effect.

One broadband connection at somebodies house could support you and 8 other gamers...I don't see the big deal..

claudgin
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
why the hell do u need LAN support for BC2?

if it was an RTS than ya im with ya... but this? u have a LAN with 32 ppl in your house??!?

cause playing BC2 with LAN with 3 ppl doesnt seem so much fun or even useful.

LAN is the least of our problems...plus stab you in the back? are you kidding me, drama queen!

SpunkyKuma
02-22-2010, 10:29 PM
LAN parties can be fun, I've only been to 1 (CS back in 1999-2000) but it's pretty obsolete now.

Shinigamii
02-22-2010, 10:40 PM

if it was an RTS than ya im with ya... but this? u have a LAN with 32 ppl in your house??!?

LAN is the least of our problems...plus stab you in the back? are you kidding me, drama queen!

well belive it or not , we gather around 20-25 ppl every month for a lan party , its more fun to pwn someone with him infront of you
so yeah we want lan support now!

its no drama queenish when you actually need or use it so PWNT

BlaZ1n.IVXX
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
well belive it or not , we gather around 20-25 ppl every month for a lan party , its more fun to pwn someone with him infront of you

cool story bro.

Boneszee
02-22-2010, 10:53 PM

.....you just said "pwnt"....

YoEr13
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I still have LAN parties every once and a while. Though I never go over four people total so we can just all connect to my router and still have net access while gaming. Either way, large LANs are dieing. There's still the huge planned events with hundreds of people (Maybe thousands? Don't know any accurate numbers), but having 20-25 people in a private session is just a rarity now. Since the 'Net is so fast, people just stay at home and game that way. Saves time and money (gas, mind you).

Don't get me wrong, having a LAN party is great fun, but it just doesn't have the same appeal since technology has advanced so far.

OJ191
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I hardly think there are many groups that have large lans...... at least not anymore. Certainly not enough for them to bother with your request unless you can prove that their are enough to warrant it.

SpunkyKuma
02-22-2010, 11:08 PM
You know it's possible someone (or a group) can rent a server from EA and have a bunch of players bring their PCs and hook up and connect to that rented server. The internet is why LAN parties are dying, people can just play from their home.

kegsy11
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
LAN support is dead, and not just with this game.

for good reason, too much piracy....LAN = FREE ONLINE GAMING FOR PIRATES.

analyst88
02-23-2010, 12:59 AM
When will people learn that lan-parties = mass piracy events? Or does anyone really think that 20 people have legit copies of all the games or so?

Kyorisu
02-23-2010, 03:02 AM
When will people learn that lan-parties = mass piracy events? Or does anyone really think that 20 people have legit copies of all the games or so?

Uhm, yes. I regularly attend events with 200+ people heck the last event was 800+ and I was mostly playing TF2 during that time.

Cuddles
02-23-2010, 03:26 AM
I'm sure someone will figure out a way around this.

Smasher4ya
02-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Uhm, yes. I regularly attend events with 200+ people heck the last event was 800+ and I was mostly playing TF2 during that time.

wow really? whats that a reunion or something? last time i played a great SeriousSam LAN party with 5 friends (which almost ended in a fight) and that was the last LAN party i played...oh 2003 xD

Kyorisu
02-23-2010, 03:41 AM
wow really? whats that a reunion or something? last time i played a great SeriousSam LAN party with 5 friends (which almost ended in a fight) and that was the last LAN party i played...oh 2003 xD

I should mention I'm South Australian.

The smaller event is called Valhalla http://valhalla.net.au/ and is on frequently. The annual event is called Reloaded http://www.reloadedlan.org/index.php. Valhalla has been running for a long time now and Reloaded is a rather new thing. We'll be up to Reloaded VI come July.

There are various other lanning organisations in SA and we've been through the whole fast internet thing and lost numbers. Valhalla for instance in it's prime was 300-500 people.

Officially Formed in 2001 with the merger of two university clubs, Valhalla is South Australias largest regularly held LAN event, and one of the largest in Australia. Valhalla is a registered not for profit association. Originally, Valhalla was run by the 9 founding committee members, and today is run by 5 officers, elected at the annual general meeting.

Reloaded events was conceived in 2006 as a means of staging an annual big event for South Australian attendees, and a way to get the local LAN community to communicate. The first event was for 160 people, and was used as a trial to prove the concept. From the second event on, it was 500 + for every event. We have successfully staged 4 sold out events in a row.

There are other lanning organisation in SA but these are the two I happen to attend. For Reloaded they should change that to 5 sold out events in a row :D

Smasher4ya
02-23-2010, 03:47 AM
I should mention I'm South Australian.

The smaller event is called Valhalla http://valhalla.net.au/ and is on frequently. The annual event is called Reloaded http://www.reloadedlan.org/index.php. Valhalla has been running for a long time now and Reloaded is a rather new thing. We'll be up to Reloaded VI come July.

There are various other lanning organisations in SA and we've been through the whole fast internet thing and lost numbers. Valhalla for instance in it's prime was 300-500 people.

awesome! wish i had those kind of LAN parties organized here...

The Comfy Chair
02-23-2010, 04:23 AM
LAN parties are still very much feasible for laptop users :) although not many will be able to play this game anyway. It would be nice to have a LAN option, but i would rather not have it if it prevents most pirates gaining some multiplayer fun.

zacoman1
02-23-2010, 05:07 AM

so u guys also jack it to harry potter during your lan breaks?

they have lan support, its called a console

Maggost
02-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Ewww this is sad...i just imagine that the upcoming i39 will support BC2 =(

A. James
02-23-2010, 05:25 AM
BF2142 does not allow end users to set up dedicated servers on the internet yet they can create local servers and the same goes for BF2

@Dingo

LANing is not only about having better pings is about playing with or against your friends face to face and get in touch with more people that shares the same tastes. if having a better latency is your notion of a LAN party then that says a lot of how much you socialize

Actually it says more about you if your way of being "social" is in a LAN party....

Rahab_mx
02-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Actually it says more about you if your way of being "social" is in a LAN party....

I never said it was my only way to socialize, but if your friend only cares about his ping when he is surrounded by human beings... what hopes can his social life have?

Here we host monthly LANs with over 25 attendees, on April we also host a LAN with 100+ attendees and also have 2 more events in neighboring cities with over 300 attendees, no matter how much bandwidth your ISP is providing you, you will never be able to replace a face to face match, the screams, the jokes, and the comrade that comes out of a LAN party

If piracy is their argument to stop supporting LANs then beware cause it will be just matter of time to stop supporting PC gaming due to piracy

masterjay
02-23-2010, 07:18 AM
If piracy is their argument to stop supporting LANs then beware cause it will be just matter of time to stop supporting PC gaming due to piracy

I dont think its because of piracy, i would say its because a small minority who actually use it nowadays.

Regardless piracy will always be about, and pc games will still be developed.

Kyorisu
02-23-2010, 07:23 AM

LANs are very social. You obviously haven't been to one if you're having such a negative opinion. You get to meet new people who share a common interest.

I dont think its because of piracy, i would say its because a small minority who actually use it nowadays.

It requires almost no effort to support. All you need is tools to host a game and sadly we don't have those but when we do lan play will be possible. If your game works over the internet it can pretty much automatically work over LAN it just depends how anal the publisher is.

mltdwn
02-23-2010, 07:26 AM
You guys have internet connectivity at the Lan party right? There ya go, play on your usual server and all is good.

FailureofHDDVD
02-23-2010, 07:28 AM

@Dingo

some1 is on attack mode

Adante
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Maybe EA will give hosting files to larger LAN parties so you can have your own private server hosted at the LAN party.
Now do your job and steal those files!!

iiSupermanii
02-23-2010, 07:52 AM

i do

i have 10 computers and we have lan games all the time i hope that this game has lan

ZeroDarkHundred
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
rofl

"LAN" isn't a "right".

♥♥♥♥ing gamers I swear.

Kenny007
02-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I miss LAN parties myself. They are simply a blast, but unfortunately a thing of the past (lol that rhymed...). Nothing is better than sharing a pizza, countless gaming hours, and being able to throw obscenities over the tops of your monitors at your friends when they pull something on you.

I personally enjoyed RTS LANs moreso than FPS ones. 6-8 people make for an epic RTS but a shoddy shooter. The only downside to RTS LAN play is the need to type to your teammates, lest your enemies hear you. Good times though; my last one was in 07 I think, playing C&C Generals.

Nowadays though, I wouldn't mind a LAN option simply so that I could have my own map to fool around in. A friend and I did this with BF2 so that we could duel with the choppers and get better at them without making fools of ourselves online; something many people have no problem doing.

Circlestrafe
02-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I find it hilarious that some people think because THEY don't have lan parties, no one else does. Arrogance, it's just incredible.

IkidI
02-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Lan parties may not be all that popular anymore, but local support coupled with bot support (or co-op mode) is still great for practicing vehicles and helicopters without screwing over your team in-game. . . or if you dont want to deal with all the %#$holes your bound to meet online. . .

Shinigamii
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
I find it hilarious that some people think because THEY don't have lan parties, no one else does. Arrogance, it's just incredible.

ftw men its damn stupid to think lans are dead all over the world

The Comfy Chair
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Indeed, i would really truly LOVE an offline mode with bots. Simply because my connection is prone to screwing around. Plus it means i can just play if i'm on an off day without getting murdered every 10 seconds :)

exter2010
02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
LAN is best. I've been in lanparty 40 and 1000 users ... face to face never bored with yours friends

In home you only play 1 day and get tired faster

----
too lazy to meet friends and play

Paco
02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
LAN is so 90's

Get over it!

exter2010
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
This?

http://langaming101.com/images/dh.jpg :cool::cool::cool:

or

http://www.igelswelt.de/zuhause_Dateien/image045.jpg :(:(:(:(:(

not say anything
-----

We support the LAN function. nothing will affect those who do not like

Tarlar
02-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Largest LAN I've ever done was about 26 people at work playing at once. It was hilariously fun. We would give away prizes at randomly called objectives, like first blood or first suicide. It was good fun, but it's not something I would prefer over attention to other things like bug fixes and balancing.

FourTwenny
02-23-2010, 04:34 PM
If the game supports dedicated servers, couldn't you all just connect to someones computer that is set up as a dedicated server? Like say Billy sets up his old C2D machine to run as a server, you all go over to Billy's house, and connect to his server located in his house. I don't know if that would work for sure, but i am sure there is some work around.

PC gamers do not want to be treated like console gamers, but part of being a PC gamer has always been being independent. You can not ask to have your hand held when it suits you, and full independence when it doesn't.

Rahab_mx
02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Largest LAN I've ever done was about 26 people at work playing at once. It was hilariously fun. We would give away prizes at randomly called objectives, like first blood or first suicide. It was good fun, but it's not something I would prefer over attention to other things like bug fixes and balancing.

Tarlar do you really believe that? implementing the LAN feature is not a problem, they already have the WAN multiplayer system, the only difference between a WAN server and a LAN server (besides the W and the L characters) is that the IP address of the WAN server is public meanwhile the LAN server IP address is private, the only thing they need to modify is the main menu GUI by adding a button called "Host local game" the net code and logic is already there and the patches and fixes applied to the WAN systems are compatible with the LAN system as they share the same code.

For all those who are reading these thread please bump it, wont take you more than 2 or 3 minutes. Come on over 1000 views in less than a day means something. As PC community we have voice and we have a huge weight on the videogame industry cause we have the technical knowledge and union to put a stop to all these bobby-kotick-wanabe executives who are killing the videogame industry as we know it (and love it) in the name of a greater profit

Rahab_mx
02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
If the game supports dedicated servers, couldn't you all just connect to someones computer that is set up as a dedicated server? Like say Billy sets up his old C2D machine to run as a server, you all go over to Billy's house, and connect to his server located in his house. I don't know if that would work for sure, but i am sure there is some work around.

PC gamers do not want to be treated like console gamers, but part of being a PC gamer has always been being independent. You can not ask to have your hand held when it suits you, and full independence when it doesn't.

and where do you plan to get the server files?

its ok if EA does not want to release the dedicated sever files, that decision has sense, it makes more difficult to hack the game, prevents stats padding servers and prevents piracy to some degree. But holding the listen server files to play on LAN has no sense at all!.

The only plausible explanation is that they don't want end users to have any kind of control over the game to avoid having free fan made content (maps, custom weapons, custom game modes, etc) so they could sell the so called DLC (which is no more that cheap skins, models and from time to time game modes and maps) as the only way for the end user to enrich his/her game experience, which is in shorts words: a cheap form of digital totalitarianism

FourTwenny
02-23-2010, 05:05 PM
and where do you plan to get the server files?

its ok if EA does not want to release the dedicated sever files, that decision has sense, it makes more difficult to hack the game, prevents stats padding servers and prevents piracy to some degree. But holding the listen server files to play on LAN has no sense at all!.

The only plausible explanation is that they don't want end users to have any kind of control over the game to avoid having free fan made content (maps, custom weapons, custom game modes, etc) so they could sell the so called DLC (which is no more that cheap skins, models and form time to time game modes and maps) as the only way for the end user to enrich his/her game experience, which is in shorts words: a cheap form of digital totalitarianism

Ahh i see. I thought that the dedicated server support meant anyone could run a server. I didn't know that it was only a handful of companies EA approved and gave the files to. I thought it was like open dedicated servers.

Bungle
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
After the way we got shafted by Infinity Ward/Activision, I wouldn't even think of boycotting Bad Company 2. Are you crazy? Yes, I'd prefer LAN support. Yes, I go to LAN parties three times a year and enjoy the heck out of them. But BC2 is a brilliant game and there isn't much Dice could do to get me to cancel my pre-order at this point. I love BC2.

mltdwn
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I still don't see a big deal... If you are running a small lan party at a friends then generally you have a broadband connection more than powerful enough to handle it... If you are going to something like CPL then generally you have SEVERAL high speed lines running into the Lan party for just that purpose. Don't see what the issue is, rent your own servers (they aren't expensive, just $400/year, get 8 people to chip in $50 and you are good to go more people and the server is cheaper per person), all gather at the same house, and all go out through the broadband connection. Most have plenty of speed to handle that. Hell my old DSL line used to handle about 10 of us at a time playing CS Beta 1.3 back in the day and it was only 1 mbit, nothing like the 10-20mbit connections today.

exter2010
02-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I still don't see a big deal... If you are running a small lan party at a friends then generally you have a broadband connection more than powerful enough to handle it... If you are going to something like CPL then generally you have SEVERAL high speed lines running into the Lan party for just that purpose. Don't see what the issue is, rent your own servers (they aren't expensive, just $400/year, get 8 people to chip in $50 and you are good to go more people and the server is cheaper per person), all gather at the same house, and all go out through the broadband connection. Most have plenty of speed to handle that. Hell my old DSL line used to handle about 10 of us at a time playing CS Beta 1.3 back in the day and it was only 1 mbit, nothing like the 10-20mbit connections today.

The speed no the the problem.. is the ping lan ping is 25ms -- ping here in the beta game 80 - 90 ms 120 ms in same hours

20 mb with 100ms Fail!

Shinigamii
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

well not everyone can do that , like i said 25-30 ppl wont fit in a regular house so you must use something bigger like a warehouse or something (use ur imagination)
you cant always expect that place to have decent internet , or internet at all so thats why we want LAN so badly

Tarlar
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Tarlar do you really believe that?

Yes. It's not something I'm ever going to use, but for your purposes I will support getting it in. I understand how tight knit the gaming community is and how deeply entrenched LAN parties are. Just because I'm never going to use it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there, or implemented in a future patch. But if a patch is going to come out on release day I'd rather have it fix game breaking bugs then add in LAN, regardless of how easy it is to implement.

exter2010
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
The games without LAN die quickly. many examples ---- The NFSs

i too play battlefield Desert final 1.8 - Cod4- Cod 5 ♥♥♥♥ zombies in my LAN Parties

mltdwn
02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
The speed no the the problem.. is the ping lan ping is 25ms -- ping here in the beta game 80 - 90 ms 120 ms in same hours

20 mb with 100ms Fail!

That's odd, ping for me is ~16ms on all of the servers I play, and that's from Tulsa to Dallas, heck the New York ones only give me about a 30 ping.

well not everyone can do that , like i said 25-30 ppl wont fit in a regular house so you must use something bigger like a warehouse or something (use ur imagination)
you cant always expect that place to have decent internet , or internet at all so thats why we want LAN so badly

I don't know about not fitting in most, we used to have lan parties every weekend for about 15 people in a 1100 sq. ft. apartment, and last one we did we had 30 people over at one of our houses which was only about 1600 sq ft.

But when we have those and no one wants everyone over at their place we generally run them at one of the offices we work at where we still have a decent incoming line. I don't know of too many people that use warehouses except for the largest of lans, and those that do use those generally (like with CPL) have lines dropped for the Lan. Like I said I have yet to see an instance where that has been the case. If it is the case then perhaps when preparing for the next Lan one simply needs to figure out "ok we are going to want to play BC2 so who can host us that has a decent connection".

exter2010
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
out of usa.... ping here in the beta game 80 - 90 ms 120 ms in same hours

Danbowski
02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I just want the ~consule feature so I can use cheats for SP. :D

Rahab_mx
02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
That's odd, ping for me is ~16ms on all of the servers I play, and that's from Tulsa to Dallas, heck the New York ones only give me about a 30 ping.

mltdwn not everybody lives in the US in the CST zone where there are literally hundreds of data centers and several tier one connections. Furthermore not everybody is part of the 27% of the world population where you can find several places with ISPs decent enough to have a good connection to allow 20 guys playing a FPS over the internet with a single connection at an affordable price.

That without mentioning that over 75% of the BC2 servers are over Europe and US (which is less than the 10% of the planet's populated surface)

don't know about not fitting in most, we used to have lan parties every weekend for about 15 people in a 1100 sq. ft. apartment, and last one we did we had 30 people over at one of our houses which was only about 1600 sq ft

15 guys in 1100 sq ft and 30 folks in 1600 sq ft? that's what i call crowded, you were placing around 15 guys in only 500sq ft... anyway our avergae LANs are over 20-25 people so in order to be comfortable, have enough space to walk between the PCs and to have a small area to talk or dinner we need rent a dance hall, so tell me what are the odds to find a dance hall with at least 20Mbps broadband connection?

Pickletron
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't think LAN is really necessary with BC2 but this is really just a special case. I really hope developers don't start dropping LAN support for all their games. I still have a good 10-20 close friends that all get together and have a LAN in someone's garage with no internet, fans, aircon or real food - just chips, coke and the occasional noodles.

When games like Starcraft 2 and COD - amazing LAN games - drop their LAN support, I cry IRL for like 22.5 mins.

cal5k
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Guys we have asked for the LAN feature for months and DICE never had the pants to answer us and now 7 days before the release they come with this back stab.

Seems wee need to show DICE and EA why we PC gamers are different to the console crowd of isolated individuals, that we are united and that we are not going to allow this kind of scams.

Bump this thread to demand EA and DICE to do a formal commitment to provide us LAN functionality!

Stop it--DICE is known for patching the hell out of their games with support for their games--just not all at launch.

Eventually there will be LAN support but EA/DICE doesnt slack on that type of thing in their game support.

Simmer down--this aint MW2.

Rahab_mx
02-25-2010, 09:04 AM
the studio may consider adding it at a later date
Saying that "we may consider adding it" is quite far, even from saying "we may ad it" not even say "we will add it".

We can’t get satisfied which such a vague answer, we need commitment. Else they will only prove that BFC2 was destined to be another console port until MW2 announced the lack of dedicated servers giving EA a change to reclaim the FPS crown on the PC.

But as long as we do not demand it, they will never make the commitment!

mltdwn
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
15 guys in 1100 sq ft and 30 folks in 1600 sq ft? that's what i call crowded, you were placing around 15 guys in only 500sq ft... anyway our avergae LANs are over 20-25 people so in order to be comfortable, have enough space to walk between the PCs and to have a small area to talk or dinner we need rent a dance hall, so tell me what are the odds to find a dance hall with at least 20Mbps broadband connection?

Why? You're there to play, at least that is what we went to, and no we put them in almost all 1100 sq ft. We set up a table in the dining area that supported 4 people, 2 more in the living area that each had 4, and one in the second bedroom that again supported 4. And 1600 sq. ft is a good size house, heck we fit pretty much everyone in the living room with plenty of room to spare and still leaving the kitchen/dining area for eating/socialization. Most 1600 sq ft houses around here have about 600 sq ft. (that's around 15x15 for each of the 3 bedrooms) and 1000 for the eating/dining/living.

1000 sq. ft, 30 people, that's 33 sq. ft. per person, do you really need more than that?

ZeroDarkHundred
02-25-2010, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about SAD's not being "publicly" available. They weren't for previous battlefield games either but that didn't stop from them ending up on the internet anyway.

Netherscourge
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
LAN = sandboxware = pirates paradise.

Public, online gaming is where it's at folks. It's not going to change anytime soon. Get used to it. LANs are dead.

uber_hobo
02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
LAN = sandboxware = pirates paradise.

Public, online gaming is where it's at folks. It's not going to change anytime soon. Get used to it. LANs are dead.

2-3 weeks + dedicated pirates = Cracked game and methods for playing online.

It's only a matter of time and for a game with this much exposure, they will find a way to crack it. In the end it will be the legitimate consumer who bites the bullet.

Rahab_mx
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
2-3 weeks + dedicated pirates = Cracked game and methods for playing online.

It's only a matter of time and for a game with this much exposure, they will find a way to crack it. In the end it will be the legitimate consumer who bites the bullet.

Without mentioning that with today's broadband connections you can download piracy 24/7 :P

Anyway, the first big LAN party of the year in the US starts on march 26 and guess what people wants to play???

NVIDIA will be having a GeForce LAN party for the hardcore gamers. The party will be held on the 3rd floor of the building hosting the PAX east 2010 con. and will be BYOC (bring your own computer) and will hold 300 people, along with a 400-station PC free-play and tournament area. Gamers will be partaking in the world’s first 3D tournament playing Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Bad luck for us that LANs are dead and nobody wants to play this game on LAN eh?! (Sarcasm off)

Well at least Nvidia will put the money for the dedicated servers and the bandwidth, but I would not be surprised if they just install a "trusted partner server" in the building to save costs. It is a shame for dice leaving only those options to host a LAN of this incredible game

MAGZine
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Why? You're there to play, at least that is what we went to, and no we put them in almost all 1100 sq ft. We set up a table in the dining area that supported 4 people, 2 more in the living area that each had 4, and one in the second bedroom that again supported 4. And 1600 sq. ft is a good size house, heck we fit pretty much everyone in the living room with plenty of room to spare and still leaving the kitchen/dining area for eating/socialization. Most 1600 sq ft houses around here have about 600 sq ft. (that's around 15x15 for each of the 3 bedrooms) and 1000 for the eating/dining/living.

1000 sq. ft, 30 people, that's 33 sq. ft. per person, do you really need more than that?

So how to you plan to power 30 rigs in a home environment? Residential buildings are not made to sustain such load on the breaker, and you'll throw it.

"Oh you can have have LAN in your home". Yeah, like 30 people MAXIMUM, unless if you have like 100mbps internet service - which is only available in select locals. Hell, even 20Mbps is only available in select locales.

So now you have 2 problems: electrical and internet. Even getting a space to host a LAN party might be difficult, if it's in all-night expenditure - people work and have families. Those who are in school often live in small apartments. Public spaces can be rented out for cheap enough. Oh, but what's that? They don't have a 20Mbps link? too ♥♥♥♥ing bad.

BF2 is one of the largest LAN games. This is really ♥♥♥♥ty for even larger events (300+ attendees) where getting internet is just NOT. POSSIBLE.

Saying 'oh just use the internet games' or 'oh nobody goes to LAN parties anymore' is ignorant bull♥♥♥♥. If you claim one of the 2, you obviously haven't had the opportunity of being within strangling range of the person who just head-shotted you from across the map. (Only multiply that by 20-300+, depending on size)

Rahab_mx
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
So how to you plan to power 30 rigs in a home environment? Residential buildings are not made to sustain such load on the breaker, and you'll throw it.

and let me add "and burn to ashes you home in the process" most of the homes have 12 gauge cable for the power outlets, that stuff can only hold a maximum of 41 amps which is something around like 12 or 13 gaming PCs at full load, overload it and the cable's insulation will melt down causing a short circuit and starting a fire

But well you can still power 30 PCs with a residential power grid if most of the attendees are using laptops or low power consumption PCs which limits the games to just a few like CS 1.6, Halo, SC and AoE

BF2 is one of the largest LAN games. This is really ♥♥♥♥ty for even larger events (300+ attendees) where getting internet is just NOT. POSSIBLE.

Well it po$$ible, but come on, does everybody here has the money to pay such services like..... mmm lets say, a 15MBps full duplex connection?, an average MW2 Host needs at least a 4MB download speed to get the info from the other 11 clients without sacrificing the quality of the game, that means each client player is uploading around 368Kbps so if you want to host a LAN game with 32 players with one single broadband connection that connects to a remote sever you need an upload speed of (368*32/1024) Mbps which is something around 11.5 Mbps The average upload speed in the US is 1.7Mbps in fact according to netspeed, the only countries in which the upload speed is good enough to have 32 players connecting to an external server with a single connection without experiencing lag are:.... drums please.... NONE! The closest country is Lithuania with an average upload speed of 9.45 Mbps

I'm not telling you to cancel your pre-order or stop buying the game, I'm just asking you guys to bump this Thread as much as you can to get EA recognition and true commitment to the PC community.

A PC multiplayer game without the ability to play multiplayer matches offline is not a game designed or developed with PC gamers in mind as EA brags so much.

Even in the 56kbps modems era we had the 4 players serial com port array to play without having to connect to the internet or phone network, just post "I Agree" thats all what we need and wont cost you a dime

everlow
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Why the vicious LAN bashing? I've been playing at a monthly LAN since 1998. We game every single month. About 30 people. Built our own facility even, 2nd story on a garage and yes we had to add power to the pole. We only have about 5 of the originals, but that goes to show that we continue to get new blood. Now we even have 2 yearly 100+ people LANs going on around here (WNY/Buffalo region). LANs have grown around here, not died.

It's unfortunate though that more of the big name games aren't supporting the LANing feature. We do get a lot of little name game playing - Multiwinia, Metal Drift, etc. but what we really want is the big names. Would've loved to have had a CODMW2 tourney last LAN....

Cyrizian
02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree. LAN is a necessity for PC gaming and I can't imagine a day when it won't be a requirement for any decent PC game. I've already decided not to buy Starcraft II for this very reason.

Super Darly
02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Co-op against bots can be tons of fun with some friends in the same room. To limit stat padding or point farming, they just have to disable ranking up in Local games. If you aren't connected to your online account when you connect to a LAN game you are stuck with the default weapons, and if you are connected you are able to use what you've unlocked already. I don't see the problem.

For those advocating "Oh noes, piracy!", it's gonna happen with or without LAN support. There isn't a way to stop it that crackers won't get around. The more DRM or restrictions that a company implements, the bigger probability that game will get mass pirated (ex: Spore).

zacoman1
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
they are things made for lans, they are called consoles

raynman216
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
If you want EA to do this then this thread should be started on the forums at EA not steam. I would think that they might have a better chance of reading it in their own forum than this one.

MAGZine
02-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Ok, but is there something that isn't ♥♥♥♥ty made for LANs? yes. it's called a PC.

xplay2.0
02-25-2010, 07:54 PM

@Dingo

I don't play LAN... I don't socialize...

Binay
02-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Bump

totaly agree - give lan!!:eek:

analyst88
02-26-2010, 04:56 AM
The day everyone on a LAN party plays with legal software will be the day dev teams put LAN back in games. I've seen a few lan parties and each time there were people with DVD-r version of games, illegally downloaded versions etc.

Oh, and LAN is not a right, it's a luxury.

Slowest
02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
The day everyone on a LAN party plays with legal software will be the day dev teams put LAN back in games. I've seen a few lan parties and each time there were people with DVD-r version of games, illegally downloaded versions etc.

QFT !

Totally agree.

Kyorisu
02-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Yes because no one on the internet pirates anything right? No they've excluded LAN because they want control of the game. Piracy is a poor excuse.

What console support IRC so I can communicate with over 200 people instantly without shouting? What console support VOIP software that doesn't suck? What console allows me to do any of the thousands of things I do on a PC?

PCs are superior for lanning.

Rahab_mx
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
The day everyone on a LAN party plays with legal software will be the day dev teams put LAN back in games. I've seen a few LAN parties and each time there were people with DVD-r version of games, illegally downloaded versions etc.

Analyst88, be truth to your name and analyze the whole picture, piracy exist regardless of LANs, and even more you can not say that ALL the LANs are a nest pirates if you have only attended a few. Suppressing the LANs because of piracy is ineffective and a bas Kiorysu said, a POOR EXCUSE. Its only forcing the legit owners to bite the bullet

The same was said by IW about dedicated servers on “modern war fraud 2” So go on and ask Bobby Kotick to marry you, cause you two make a great couple ;)

@For all those hardcore gamers who truly knows what a LAN is
The greater success we achieve, the more opposition we will face, and thats a sign we are on the right path!. Those with low self-esteem, operating from a place of constant fear and trepidation, have no business holding back the success of those who have stepped out of the box and are defending the rights of the true gamers

GenitalFrogs
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Lan Parties are so 90's? Aha. And believing that what you see is all that exists is so 3-years-old.

Watch the world news, buddy. Having an Nvidia/Ati is a luxury, or even a PC, if we are really strict.

What we are saying is that, as costumers and legit buyers of gaming software, we have the right to ask for play our games the way we enjoy with a feature not that hard to add (as detailed before) that was in a lot of games in the past and now has been excluded for the illusion of piracy control and the obsession of wallet control.

aelp
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

we have 30 player Lan parties al the time well at least 1 a month all legit and those that are not can either not play or go home mostly involes the consumption of alcohol tried organising a bar maid at one but there where a few underage people there

Deroy
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
LAN is being taken out of most games nowadays.
It's obvious: Piracy. That's how they play.

Rahab_mx
02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
LAN is being taken out of most games nowadays.
It's obvious: Piracy. That's how they play.

How many more guys will come with such poor excuses? You can pirate games with or without UTP cables....

Jack Sparrow: Hey dude, i got a "back up" of the latest and coolest game in the world, do you want it?

Black Bear: sure bro why not?

Jack Sparrow: ok, just hand me over your USB drive....

....2 minutes later....

Jack Sparrow: Ok dude its done here you.... oh ♥♥♥♥ no!

Black Bear: What?!

Jack Sparrow: I won’t be able to give it to you!

Black Bear:WTF, why not?! Did my USB drive got ♥♥♥♥ed up?!

Jack Sparrow: no dude, its worse! ...This game does not have LAN support, I just can’t give it to you.

Black Bear: hahaha, you almost got me worried for my usb drive!, ok stop fooling around and hand it over.....

♥♥♥♥ And they pirated games happily ever after ♥♥♥♥

If you really believe that developers stop supporting LANs because of piracy then let me tell you devs are ROFLing at you right now :(

Deroy
02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
If you really believe that developers stop supporting LANs because of piracy then let me tell you devs are ROFLing at you right now :(

*facepalm*

From a programmers PoV:
Games with LAN support doesn't even need crackin' boy.

DeadMac
02-26-2010, 06:35 PM
trouble is HAMACHI is/will kill off all LAN for big games soon

Zerombie
02-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't really LAN so I'm going to oppose this idea of adding in a feature I don't use.

Jk.

I don't LAN but I will support a worthy cause for those that do.

/signed

djfirestorm
02-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow all these issues about DRM and monitoring your system content, and you start a B thread about no LAN? Don't push them or BF3 will have DRM as well. The whole reason there is no LAN is because that would enable a backdoor for hackers to make dedicated pirated servers. YOU SHOULD BE THANKING THEM FOR THIS AND NOT GOING THE OTHER ROUTE!!!!!!!!!!

Rahab_mx
02-26-2010, 08:59 PM
From a programmers PoV:
Games with LAN support doesn't even need crackin' boy.

ok so now you say that LAN is allowing pirates to play trough internet VPNs and therefore the games does not needs to be cracked, and that is what is making devs abandoning LAN support.... have you ever thought about the number of pirate VPN players needed to make this kind of piracy be at least a noticeable amount to the devs eyes?

For each server hosting pirate games trough a VPN the clients must be using the same VPN network, which means that in order to find a pirate server the player must connect one server/network at a time just to find a suitable server between a large number of networks that are not going to be publically announced on the internet (cause if they are and they would be easily found and law suited). that's quite annoying for the average gamer, and not worthy of time for a guy who didn't even paid for the game, without mentioning that servers hosting those games will have to host virtual machines just for that particular game hosted trough VPN (which would be quiet a waste of re$ource$) making this option only viable to those few players that will host the game from theyr home for a few of their friends just for a limited time on prearranged dates making the number of VPN player so small that it could be hardly even considered as a minority of overall game community. That without mentioning that those pirate VPN servers would not have access to the unlocks nor ranking support which would be another con for pirate gaming like it is for TF2 pirate copies

So in short, go to your home, lock yourself into your bedroom and put your humanity on the darkest corner of that room and don't move from there until you think a way in which LANs can be harmful enough for the videogame industry to really encourage stop supporting them.

Meanwhile I'll be right here waiting for your return, IF I live that long... (crap I better get a chair to put myself comfortable)

Rahab_mx
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't really LAN so I'm going to oppose this idea of adding in a feature I don't use.

Jk.

I don't LAN but I will support a worthy cause for those that do.

/signed

Another proof that the real PC community is still alive

Thank you Zerombie :)

GenitalFrogs
02-27-2010, 12:15 AM
The whole reason there is no LAN is because that would enable a backdoor for hackers to make dedicated pirated servers. YOU SHOULD BE THANKING THEM FOR THIS AND NOT GOING THE OTHER ROUTE!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! I get it! So, when people who play pirated games know that there are no dedicated pirated servers, they'll just not play them... Keep dreaming.

It is as simple as this: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

No_More_Heroes
02-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Well crap, all this talk about LAN parties makes me want to go to one now. Never been to anything big, just like 4-5 friends playing Starcraft and Warcraft 3 here and there. I agree that this option should be considered so that others can enjoy the game with people they actually know, and not just random players on a server. I myself prefer to play with people nearby, easier to work things out and work as a team in general. But we'll see how it goes.

Gloric
02-27-2010, 03:09 AM

I've never understood that. I enjoy LANs as well but the people I LANd with would always get on this 10 year old hee-man trip when they killed you and would start yelling and hulking themselves in their chairs about it. "HURR I KILLED YOU HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU GOT RIPPED A NEW ONE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and the similar.
I'd rather play online to avoid that since it seems to spread all ages.

bLaZeR666_uk
02-27-2010, 03:19 AM
LAN is pointless for modern FPS games. As people have said it is so dated. I can understand the point of lan for 2 hour warcraft or C&C session, but for a 1/2 hour frag fest...... NON

steiner666
02-27-2010, 07:08 AM
To those who think LAN play is so stupid and unneeded: don't you have any RL friends? There's nothin better than having some of your friends over to help you kill off a case of beer and a bag while you do some LAN gaming. Not usually death match, but co-operative modes are the ♥♥♥♥ on LAN.

R6, Rogue Spear, Operation Flashpoint, Serious Sam, Sven Co-op, L4D1, and a bunch of other co-op games were a blast at lan parties, and i dont think i'd have such fond memories of beating those games if i had done so by myself or just playing online.

Rahab_mx
02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
I've never understood that. I enjoy LANs as well but the people I LANd with would always get on this 10 year old hee-man trip when they killed you and would start yelling and hulking themselves in their chairs about it. "HURR I KILLED YOU HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU GOT RIPPED A NEW ONE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and the similar.

Well that is part of the charm of a LAN, taunt your friends face to face and be taunted by them, it is a two ways stuff and it is the reason why we have taunts and domination/revenge kills in modern games (which can not compare with the real face to face good old yell :P ). But well i guess you are that kind of guys who cant simple stand hearing people yelling or taunting and is very quiet.

Stinger911
02-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I went to LAN parties all the time circa 1998-2003, then it died off from there.

Used to play Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and a few others.

It used to be that gaming PCs were uber expensive and not many people knew how to build them. The transitional phase between-dial-up and broadband was also quite messy.

But now, good gaming PCs are pretty cheap and there are lots of decent resources on how to build them. Everyone has broadband now, too.

So I mean, I can still see the appeal of LAN for the social aspect, but that's really all it offers, and by no means do I see the lack of it as a "stab in the back." In a worst case scenario, just find an empty server online and have everyone at the LAN party join it.

Rahab_mx
02-27-2010, 09:30 AM
So I mean, I can still see the appeal of LAN for the social aspect, but that's really all it offers, and by no means do I see the lack of it as a "stab in the back." In a worst case scenario, just find an empty server online and have everyone at the LAN party join it.

Hello Stinger911

Many LAN gamers consider this as a back stab as DICE/EA was questioned about LAN support numerous times earlier and they didn't even had the pants to neither confirm or negate it, they just ignored the question for months (and proof is there, on the STEAM forums, on the official BF forums and even in their twitter accounts) and then 6 days prior to the final release they came up saying NO, that they MAY considered it later, regardless of how much they brag about supporting the PC version (even when LAN gaming is a constitutive part of the PC MP experience). that was lame and coward form their part.

Second, regarding your solution to playing on LAN using a remote server, please read this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13690351&postcount=69)

zacoman1
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
dont buy the game if it doesn't have lan

complaining that it is a backstab then giving them your 50$ will get you nowhere,if any thing it will hurt your cause .

THEY DO NOT OWE THE COMMUNITY ANYTHING

twistedneck
02-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Had one last night.. worked great. And you can peek over at peoples screens and figure out where they are :)

I agree, its a dead technology - especially with the internet getting better and companies trying to control rampant piracy.

Bungle
02-27-2010, 09:58 AM

That's the opposite of my experience. Common knowledge is that people are a lot more polite in real life than they are over the internet. You know that kid that won't stop with the mic spam and team killing? He doesn't get invited to LAN parties.

I go to LAN parties a few times a year with friends. There are no cheaters or griefers at LAN parties. It's as much about hanging out as it is gaming.

But honestly, this game would go crazy on Tunngle if it did support LAN play. I regretfully understand Dice's decision.

D4mnit
02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately Hamachi and Tungle make all LAN games online games too, meaning pirates can have their own communities. Having online only, day 1 DLCs, Online Accounts, all make it harder for pirates.

Once BC2 gets old enough I'm sure DICE will patch in LAN play and true dedicated servers, but they don't want their latest game to be dead due to pirates on day 1.

Edit: I was typing my comments as Bungle was, so he hit on the Tungle/Hamichi issue as well.

GenitalFrogs
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I enjoy LANs as well but the people I LANd with would always get on this 10 year old hee-man trip when they killed you and would start yelling and hulking themselves in their chairs about it.

You know, I completely agree with you about how annoying they get to be, but that's what makes real life the best: you meet real people, diversity included. There are those who accept their defeat as well as their victories, but there are also bad losers and bad winners. Those who love to pwn but do not like get pwn, yelling at the first and minimizing the second. But, as you begin to see, it's all about how mature they are. Here we have a guy M**fet that seems to be at the César Millán's show, trying to be the alpha male at all costs. But, you know, those are not worth it. Because when you get over them, you'll apreciate the othersiders, those who are realy great players and pals, and you'll be grateful for that.

dont buy the game if it doesn't have lan
(...)

Oh. Do not buy the game, so they'll say, with that narrow view of theirs, "those who complain does not even have the game, so why bother?"

Yes they do owe the community, because all they have achieved is because the gamer community. And they owe us, the customers.

I agree, its a dead technology - especially with the internet getting better and companies trying to control rampant piracy.

If that's the thinking pal, sorry to let you know that PC gaming is then a dead technology.

You know guys, all who accept the prohibition as prevention, why don't you go and win the Nobel Peace by proposing esterilization of all teenagers to prevent non wanted pregnancies, or not selling cars to prevent car accidents?

swade98030
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Well crap, all this talk about LAN parties makes me want to go to one now. Never been to anything big, just like 4-5 friends playing Starcraft and Warcraft 3 here and there. I agree that this option should be considered so that others can enjoy the game with people they actually know, and not just random players on a server. I myself prefer to play with people nearby, easier to work things out and work as a team in general. But we'll see how it goes.

I love WC3 :)

I am a little sad that there is no lan support, I know that maybe its for a good cause (anti piracy) however it never works in the end :/ I am going to a big Intel lan party in the spring and it would be nice to have lan support. I suppose they will figure something out though.

Rahab_mx
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately Hamachi and Tungle make all LAN games online games too, meaning pirates can have their own communities.

Hello D4mit, this has been already discused one page ago, please read here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13708181&postcount=90) ;)

If that's the thinking pal, sorry to let you know that PC gaming is then a dead technology.

You know guys, all who accept the prohibition as prevention, why don't you go and win the Nobel Price by proposing esterilization of all teenagers to prevent non wanted pregnancies, or not selling cars to prevent car accidents?

QFT!

Circlestrafe
02-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Some of us still pay for products and services we use...as well as those for our friends and family. So though we may be in the minority, we do exist. As far as 'mass piracy events', what do you think the internet is? Or for that matter, remember Warez sites, bulletin boards, iRC, probably before your time... No LAN support to circumvent pirating is like locking your car door so no one will steal it.

The only way to really end it, is to take Ubisoft's approach, a company rep will have to come over, sit in your living room and watch you insert the genuine ubisoft media into your machine, and sit and watch you play. When they're gone or unavailable, you simply cannot play.

If they want to stay in business they do. We're the customer, not the other way around. Sadly, I guess if enough people believe otherwise, the devs will run with it.

Deroy
02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd say that Dice is taking the right approach against Piracy.
They only hand over the files needed to host a dedicated server to "trusted clients". Meaning that pirates won't be able to get it (unless leaked).
And with no lan support there's really no reason to crack the game for multiplayer.

As for the earlier statements:
I can name of a few mass-online VPNs that's being used for piracy.
Tunngle.
Garena.
Hamachi (There's forums, bulletin boards and etcetera where players [Read: Pirates] can hook-up)
And basicly any other program with the same/similar functions.

And please: Don't anyone try to say: "But I use it for valid stuff stuff stuff". Sure there is a group who uses VPN without being guilty of piracy. But they're the minority.

Edit: On another note: Why would anyone even LAN on this game? :p Just curious.

zacoman1
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
If they want to stay in business they do. We're the customer, not the other way around. Sadly, I guess if enough people believe otherwise, the devs will run with it.

but you will still buy the game regardless . if it doesn't have lan you will buy it , and if it does have lan you will buy it. sooo dice\ea wont see a problem with taking lan out.

hey ,if a group of nerds want to get together to play games im all for them doing it if it makes them happy, but to complain about it and still buy the product is just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

its like buying and f-250 then complaining about the bad mpg, dont buy an f250 it then.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/halolz-dot-com-modernwarfare2-steamboycotthypocrisy.jpg

Hekynn
02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Your gonna have to deal with that I mean everything is going Digital and Online only these days that's the future and I keep telling my dad that he has to get used to the Digital format lol.

GenitalFrogs
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
but you will still buy the game regardless . if it doesn't have lan you will buy it , and if it does have lan you will buy it. sooo dice\ea wont see a problem with taking lan out.

First, the problem for them, as little as may be, is that we, as customers, will be asking for that. Second, we will be exposing them in the sites we contribute at, so they will get free bad specialized press. And third and most important, we will be reminding them than there are still some of us that do not justify their obsession for money killing our right to receive a quality product/service, and that there are still other gamers not selfish enough to support us even if they do not LAN party.

hey ,if a group of nerds want to get together...

Oh! Calling names and stereotypes! Are you sure you have the age to suscribe at this forum? Because when you grow up you'll realize that by just posting here you'll be consider, for most people, the very stereotype you invoque.

its like buying and f-250 then complaining about the bad mpg, dont buy an f250 it then.

If that logic works, why are you even posting here, anyway?

Circlestrafe
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM

This is where you're misguided. A LOT of people bought MW2. MW2 does NOT have dedicated servers (in case anyone's been living under a rock.) Dice noticed many gamers didn't approve of IW's decision to forgo dedicated servers. But Dice is intelligent enough to realize dedicated servers are a good thing, people want them, and it's good for overall customer service. If Dice couldn't make decisions other than by numbers on a piece of paper, they'd of said, concluding from MW2 sales data, dedicated servers are unnecessary!

I'm going to give Dice the benefit of the doubt, and figure they can do a little thinking beyond the figures in the spreadsheet, and realize that although people purchased their game without X or Y feature, in this case LAN support, perhaps it might be a good decision to add that in a patch or two; or perhaps even the next game.

As for the F250 reference: I can still buy an F250 and ♥♥♥♥♥ about the MPG all I want. It may be a fantastic vehicle for 2 dozen other uses, but if the MPG sucks, it sucks!

Rahab_mx
02-27-2010, 09:06 PM
This is where you're misguided. A LOT of people bought MW2. MW2 does NOT have dedicated servers (in case anyone's been living under a rock.) Dice noticed many gamers didn't approve of IW's decision to forgo dedicated servers. But Dice is intelligent enough to realize dedicated servers are a good thing, people want them, and it's good for overall customer service. If Dice couldn't make decisions other than by numbers on a piece of paper, they'd of said, concluding from MW2 sales data, dedicated servers are unnecessary!

I'm going to give Dice the benefit of the doubt, and figure they can do a little thinking beyond the figures in the spreadsheet, and realize that although people purchased their game without X or Y feature, in this case LAN support, perhaps it might be a good decision to add that in a patch or two; or perhaps even the next game.

As for the F250 reference: I can still buy an F250 and ♥♥♥♥♥ about the MPG all I want. It may be a fantastic vehicle for 2 dozen other uses, but if the MPG sucks, it sucks!

I just cant tell how bad i feel when i realize that so much people on the PC community has been consolized, thank good we still have people who is outside the box to enlighten the others

QFT Circlestrafe!

Come on guys, keep posting, we are already are a majority in this thread, but it is still not enough, I want to make sure EA/DICE will drop his pants once we bring this topic to their attention, keep your support coming :)

zacoman1
02-27-2010, 09:15 PM

true ,
if dice didn't make dedi servers then alot of people would not be getting this game.

the only point im trying to make is , you can not complain about not getting lan then go buy the game and just say they are greedy and you have a Right to lan.
if you want lan support dont buy the game, they might take notice

yes you can complain about the 250 all you want, but that doesn't make u less of a tard .

but you also have to remember that dice has to draw the line somewhere, the pc gaming community are the biggest crybabies in the world. bfbc2 could have dedi servers and lan and people would complain that $50 is to much, or that their game doesn't dispense ice cream on command

Rahab_mx
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
dice has to draw the line somewhere, the pc gaming community are the biggest crybabies in the world.

since you do not count yourself within the comunity then i guess you are part of the "other" comunity so im just going to repeat a couple quotes that we already have here:

we need to show DICE and EA why we PC gamers are different to the console crowd of isolated individuals

Those with low self-esteem, operating from a place of constant fear and trepidation, have no business holding back the success of those who have stepped out of the box and are defending the rights of the true gamers

you statement is doing nothing more than proving that all what has been said here before is true. seriously guys, the world is so ♥♥♥♥ed up thanks to that way of thinking: "if I can't have it i wont fight to have it, even more I'm going to make sure that no one else will have it" that's so conformist, selfish and (have to say it) stupid

zacoman1
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
since you do not count yourself within the comunity then i guess you are part of the "other" comunity so im just going to repeat a couple quotes that we already have here:

you statement is doing nothing more than proving that all what has been said here before is true. seriously guys, the world is so ♥♥♥♥ed up thanks to that way of thinking: "if I can't have it i wont fight to have it, even more I'm going to make sure that no one else will have it" that's so conformist, selfish and (have to say it) stupid

are you going to buy the game? yes, then you are not fighting for lan

orangpelupa
02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
what. no LAN on BF BC2?
gone is the usual LAN competition on my country....

bad move DICE, bad move.

BF series always popular in LAN games here. it also for LAN competition.

Xoom3r.Net
02-28-2010, 04:56 AM
LAN is the base of multiplayer PC games!
1. How can you play the game with your brother/sister before you go play online?
2. How are you suppose to have a LAN party for the release.. Where people play multiplayer games and drink beer!

SltrHouse
02-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Seems we need to show DICE and EA why we PC gamers are different to the console crowd of isolated individuals, that we are united and that we are not going to allow this kind of scams.

do you want LAN or Dedicated servers??

You ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ did this with MW2 too, and it still outsold every other pc game to date...

Deroy
02-28-2010, 08:17 AM
LAN was the base of multiplayer PC games!

Fixed.

SltrHouse
02-28-2010, 08:24 AM
what. no LAN on BF BC2?
gone is the usual LAN competition on my country....

bad move DICE, bad move.

BF series always popular in LAN games here. it also for LAN competition.

so since BFBC2 doesnt support LAN, your countries LAN days are over?

Why dont you guys cry over the fact that AvP was promised dedicated servers and got shafted, im sure you guys are the same people who told everyone not to buy mw2...

JUST because it hurt your little feelers, doesnt mean its ok to "boycott" a game because it doesnt use a feature 3/4 of average pc gamers in the past 5 years use.

RTS = LAN play
FPS = Dedicated servers

If you're thinking of hosting a LAN event and want your customers/visitors to play BFBC2, Go and rent a few dedicated servers for the event.... sounds obvious doesnt it?

Kyorisu
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
JUST because it hurt your little feelers, doesnt mean its ok to "boycott" a game because it doesnt use a feature 3/4 of average pc gamers in the past 5 years use.

I could boycott the game because it has grass in it. You can't have a go at someone for their personal reasons to boycott something.

If you're thinking of hosting a LAN event and want your customers/visitors to play BFBC2, Go and rent a few dedicated servers for the event.... sounds obvious doesnt it?

Not really unless you plan on having a huge pipe to the internet. Not exactly feasible in many places.

vincegun
02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
(This'll be "tldr" for those who refuse to read over 5 sentences, so move along if you're that short-sighted)

It's funny how many naysayers are polluting the thread without offering so much more than a "LAN=piracy" or "LAN days are dead." When, in fact, they're just alive as ever.... if you know where to look. Just because you may not have easy access to that type of event in your city/town doesn't mean that things like that are pointless and/or going the way of the dodo.

Case in point, http://www.fites.net. They've been doing this for years and this weekend was my 3rd year attending their event. Needless to say that if LAN play was dead or pointless, I wouldn't be paying $45 for a seat each time and neither would 100+ people.

For those who actually follow the link and take the time to look around, you'll see that Fites also has plenty of sponsors. Intel, Comcast, Thermaltake... the list goes on. Hell, this year someone won a core i5/motherboard combo and last year one person won a core i7. I doubt so many people would sponsor a dying social event.

I just got home from roughly 40 hours of gaming (and sleeping) here in Pennsylvania. 40 FUN hours, mind you. There are open servers and tournament servers running, as well as console game tournaments. Fites rented out 2 hotel conference halls just to contain all the people that came this time. That's 200 people that came from New York, Ohio, Canada and all points in PA and MD. New Jersey as well, I think.

It's funny to say that LAN play is dead because a lot of people have broadband access, when one of the Fites staff actually works for Comcast and brought in a 50meg connection for us to play on. YES, there will be piracy, but that's just an accepted evil at this point. YES, there is file sharing, but when you can put that on the back-burner and jump into a CoD or UT game with 12 other people that are in the same room as you and have a friendly, competetive and frantic event... well, that just blows internet play out of the water. Let's look at some of the points that people bring up because they think they're right, because they're on their internet connection and obviously know what's going on in the world and around them.
----------
"LAN support is dead, and not just with this game."

-Not really, not when people are holding event for 5+ years, over and over again, on their dime, and STILL manage to pack events with people.

"people still have lan parties?"

-Yeah, we do. They're not often, but when it's an actual event and not just 5 people in a basement, it's a freaking party. (I hereby endorse 5 people getting away from their significant other for a day and a half so they can chill with friends in a different house)

"why the hell do u need LAN support for BC2?"

-Because we may want to have a local server instead of having to rely on the internet pipe for our gaming. 100+ people can kill a connection really quick and having a dedicated server or two would allow virtually uninterrupted gameplay.

"Don't get me wrong, having a LAN party is great fun, but it just doesn't have the same appeal since technology has advanced so far."

-At least this person seems to understand the appeal. However, build it and they will come. People do like to get out every now and again, contrary to current reports.

"for good reason, too much piracy....LAN = FREE ONLINE GAMING FOR PIRATES."

-Your idea might have merit, if you understood that LAN means (L)ocal (A)rea (N)etwork. The internet isn't local, not like wiring up servers and clients in a contained room.
---------------------
Don't get me wrong about all this, though. Someone at Fites already put up his wallet and got Fites a BC2 server somewhere in New York or New Jersey, but that's because whoever the company is, is one of those "trusted partners" that DICE was referring to. I've no problem with that type of setup, because not everyone can afford to hold a large-scale event every 3 months. However, to outright not put LAN support in a game which people associate with modern-day multiplayer gaming is just silly. The use is out there, it just takes a little looking around to see that people do want it and would use it to it's potential.

I'm not a Fites slave, as it may seem. I'm not here to provide them with advertising even though I know I just did. I'm here to show my support for LAN play in the PC version of BF:BC2. After all, who will it hurt if it's in? Are those people who buy it going to have a lessened experience because it's there? I vote that it should be in the game.

ieatnewbs
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I was just at a LAN hosted by a computer group at my local university. CAL Poly Pomona in California. 50 People brought laptops and desktops and the games played were TF2 CSS quake 3, fear, and borderlands. It was so fun. LANS kick ♥♥♥ and those of you who say its stupid you've obviously never been to a good one. We had 30 people in the LAN TF2 server alone. No online play. Just the people in the room. LAN = win

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM
do you want LAN or Dedicated servers??

You ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ did this with MW2 too, and it still outsold every other pc game to date...
Why dont you guys cry over the fact that AvP was promised dedicated servers and got shafted, im sure you guys are the same people who told everyone not to buy mw2...

If it wasn't for all those complains regarding Ded servers on moder MW2 BFBC2 wouldn't have supported dedicated servers, and the same goes for AvP so think it twice. if it wasn't for all those "crybabies" you wouldn't be benefited from a better MP experience

And yes it is true, AvP does not have the dedicated servers but Sega/Rebellion already made the formal commitment and are working on it, but on the other hand DICE and EA haven't had the pants to do such commitment with the LAN support but yet they scream to the 7 winds that they support the PC. That's hypocrisy

Third, if you take your time to read the entire tread, reply by reply you will notice that so far, the only guy here who has asked to boycott the game is "zacoman1" who by the way is from the "retractors" side. We are not asking anybody to not buy the game, we are just asking them to support LANs by replying to this thread

And fourth, out of the 122 replies we have here, only 37 says that it is worthless to fight for the LAN support, the other 85 replies supports LAN, that's over two thirds not just one quarter

Edited, while i was writing this reply ieatnewbs and vincegun wrote replies supporting LANs, that's now 87 vs 37, keep it rolling guys :)

Deroy
02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
"for good reason, too much piracy....LAN = FREE ONLINE GAMING FOR PIRATES."

-Your idea might have merit, if you understood that LAN means (L)ocal (A)rea (N)etwork. The internet isn't local, not like wiring up servers and clients in a contained room.

It doesn't matter what LAN means. It's free access to multiplayer for pirates. And as long as (V)irtual (P)rivate (N)etwork technology exist(which it probably always will, if not developed further) LAN will lower the sells as pirates will use VPN and LAN technology together.

"But a confirmation of a LAN can be done online"

Easily cracked by the pirates. No matter how good the protection is of something: It is be crackable if they have access to the files.

Which is why (most likely, yet no official statement) EA DICE made the decision not to include the files needed to host a dedicated server alongside the client. They only hand them out to trusted clients to prevent cracked servers.

And if LAN was to be supported in the client we are provided with: That step would've been in vain. Cause the same files would be integrated in our very clients. And they could easily be ripped, modified and etcetera for it to act as a dedicated server.

Yes, I am aware that there's still a minority that's setting up LANs with friends and LAN parties. But LAN parties are quite appealing to the pirates as well. "Dreamhack" for instance: Hosted a few times here in Sweden each year. The one I was on back in 2006 was literally a massive Pirate-party. And since the host(s) aren't monitoring the transfers between the computers it's pretty much a free go for pirates to do their shizel and get away with it.

Hell, there was even an "official" presence from a few guys who's running a torrent site. They also later announced "Free Leech" on the music of one of the musical artists who came to perform on Dreamhack. Without the artists approval.

Oh and did I mention that was over 10 000 peps there?

inb4 bad grammar.

SltrHouse
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I could boycott the game because it has grass in it. You can't have a go at someone for their personal reasons to boycott something.

Not really unless you plan on having a huge pipe to the internet. Not exactly feasible in many places.

i said rent some dedis, not buy servers and use your internet, alot of places will rent dedis for comps and whatnot.

and i never said LAN was dead, simply, this isnt 1999 anymore, its 2010... Internet gaming is 10fold more popular then LAN. Even if you read up on some stuff a few LAN events have started to use DEDI's for their FPS events, unless its something like CSS or something else in that fashion.

trillex
02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
LAN parties = Socializing over something you love to do, i.e. gaming and using a computer.

I'd vote for LAN support any day.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
i said rent some dedis, not buy servers and use your internet, alot of places will rent dedis for comps and whatnot.

Sltrhouse, your last post was confusing, could you please rephrase it? are you suggesting to rent a server, and bring it to where the LAN takes place? if not, how do you suggest to connect to the server without using the internet?

@Deroy,

Once more, VPN games are not a treat to the game industry, they are adhoc listen servers that consumes a lot of hardware requirements as they need the game to be running in order to host a match, this makes impossible to have one of this servers runing on a 24/7 basis. Pirates would need to rent a dedicated box just to host one single VPN game, the cheapest box to run such games is around $285 USD a month, that would be the most expensive server in history. Even more, it would be cheaper for the pirates to buy the original game!, also as said before, those games are not listed on the internet, all the users wanting to use those VPNs matches needs to know the host and prearrange a date and time to get to play. besides since the game is hosted by a common user the bandwidth will be very limited, not allowing more than 10/15 players (and with a hell of lag). Please get back to your room and keep thinking as I told you, I promise you I wont move from here ;)

Deroy
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
long stuff

There's stuff like Hamachi, Tunngle, Garena. And they hardly slow down the computer.

Shinigamii
02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
well according to some people bfbc2 is already out , so tell me non lan supporters how did this happend?
some guys arranged a lan party and started to share the game or wtf?
NO you can find ANYTHING on the web so , consider all the crap about LAN=Piracy cause its just plain dumb
having lan support is not going to kill you ,like rahab said we are not asking you guys to cancel pre-order or not to buy the game ,never the less this is not a boycott thing we just want something we think we deserve

D4mnit
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
No one here is saying LAN is bad or LAN parties suck, it's just that DICE and EA have taken a stance that is anti-pirate, and they believe LAN support at release will allow pirates to play and will be detrimental to the game.

As said numerous times, online only is an anti-pirate method.

Target and possibly other retailers broke the street date, but the EA Online servers are not up so there is no multiplayer going on now. DICE stated they would have a day 1 DLC, so even if someone tries to get a pirated version they won't be able to play online.

Deroy
02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
well according to some people bfbc2 is already out , so tell me non lan supporters how did this happend?
some guys arranged a lan party and started to share the game or wtf?
NO you can find ANYTHING on the web so , consider all the crap about LAN=Piracy cause its just plain dumb
having lan support is not going to kill you ,like rahab said we are not asking you guys to cancel pre-order or not to buy the game ,never the less this is not a boycott thing we just want something we think we deserve

Please re-read the whole thread.

Old Thread Bump
02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
man lans are fun you get so much free pizza and stuff there. good times

Shinigamii
02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Please re-read the whole thread.

please read first page
my point here is nothing stopped hackers or whatever , now they got the game for free lets see what DICE thinks about this :eek:

Deroy
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
please read first page
my point here is nothing stopped hackers or whatever , now they got the game for free lets see what DICE thinks about this :eek:

And you are aware that those hackers won't have access to online play since there's no lan support in the game?

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
There's stuff like Hamachi, Tunngle, Garena. And they hardly slow down the computer.

LAN VPN Games = home hosted Games = no 24/7 availability = no full duplex broadband link = maximum of 12 player per game with lots of LAG = no treat to industry = get a better pretext

Deroy
02-28-2010, 01:00 PM
LAN VPN Games = home hosted Games = no 24/7 availability = no full duplex broadband link = maximum of 12 player per game with lots of LAG = no treat to industry = get a better pretext

Now that's bull♥♥♥♥.
I used a VPN to host a Borderlands game before Gearbox fixed all the eff'd up ports. And the others had no lag at all. And a maximum of 12 players per game - What are you smoking? Tunngle supports 255.

Circlestrafe
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
are you going to buy the game? yes, then you are not fighting for lan

Absolutely not true. DICE produces exceptional games, therefore I'm going to compensate their efforts by purchasing and playing their games. Unwillingness to purchase BFBC2 due to lack of LAN support is NOT the only means of fighting for LAN support, nor is it likely the most effective route. Ultimatums should be reserved for severe situations. (read IW's ludicrous move) I'd probably agree with you if DICE flat out said they absolutely have no intention of adding support for the LAN support standard...er feature, as IW did when dismissing dedicated servers.

Lack of LAN support is very unfortunate, and with enough feedback, there's probably a decent chance it won't be permanent. It's not as crippling to the overall value and enjoyment of the game as say, abolishing dedicated servers would be.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Now that's bull♥♥♥♥.
I used a VPN to host a Borderlands game before Gearbox fixed all the eff'd up ports. And the others had no lag at all. And a maximum of 12 players per game - What are you smoking? Tunngle supports 255.

1.- So now you say that you hosted a game trough VPN for 12 guys in a game that can holds only 4? come on :confused:

2.- You just confirmed my point, you where hosting, from home not with a dedicated 24/7 server but with your own PC which resources were entirely dedicated to that single game, with... what? a 10-15 mbps download, 2-3 Mbps upload connection? with friends that where what? about 10-15 miles away from your place?. As I have been saying all this time, that's the only scenario in which VPNs can work well for gaming and therefore do not represent a treat to the industry and you just came confirming that for all of us, thank you man, from now on you are my best buddy! :D

@Circlestrafe:

Wise Words man! ;)

SltrHouse
02-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Sltrhouse, your last post was confusing, could you please rephrase it? are you suggesting to rent a server, and bring it to where the LAN takes place? if not, how do you suggest to connect to the server without using the internet?

@Deroy,

Once more, VPN games are not a treat to the game industry, they are adhoc listen servers that consumes a lot of hardware requirements as they need the game to be running in order to host a match, this makes impossible to have one of this servers runing on a 24/7 basis. Pirates would need to rent a dedicated box just to host one single VPN game, the cheapest box to run such games is around $285 USD a month, that would be the most expensive server in history. Even more, it would be cheaper for the pirates to buy the original game!, also as said before, those games are not listed on the internet, all the users wanting to use those VPNs matches needs to know the host and prearrange a date and time to get to play. besides since the game is hosted by a common user the bandwidth will be very limited, not allowing more than 10/15 players (and with a hell of lag). Please get back to your room and keep thinking as I told you, I promise you I wont move from here ;)

i mean like going to a website, where you can "rent dedicated servers" That is what comps do anyways :/
http://www.gameservers.com

like that, not them but like that lol.

Deroy
02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
VPN games are not a treat to the game industry
This part confuses me.

Why do you keep overlooking the point?
I've never said that LAN nor VPN is "bad". But it's extremely exploitable and very favourable by and for the "pirates".

And you can mod Borderlands to support more players. However, the "modding" only works through LAN :P

Hekynn
02-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Everything is going online these days wouldn't surprise me when LAN support is totally dead in the next few yrs.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 01:32 PM
i mean like going to a website, where you can "rent dedicated servers" That is what comps do anyways :/
http://www.gameservers.com

like that, not them but like that lol.

no Sltrhouse, what your are looking at is the rent of a game dedicated server, not the rent of a server dedicated to one single game, here take a look at this

http://www.gameservers.com/dedicated/

the difference between a game dedicated server and a game listen server is that the dedicated one is just a bunch of libraries needed to handle all the traffic, game rules and events, this server only consume a few MB of RAM and a a small tick rate of the CPU, so you can host multiple games for hundreds of user with one single PC, but listen servers like the ones used on LANs are quite different (speaking about computing requirements) those servers needs the game up and running to host the match which makes this server to consumes GB of Ram and a huge percentage of the CPU tick rate making only possible to host one single game at a time on any given PC 8taht without mentioning you also need a gaming grade GPU on the server (good luck trying to find a server with a with at leats a GPU)

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
This part confuses me.

Why do you keep overlooking the point?
I've never said that LAN nor VPN is "bad". But it's extremely exploitable and very favourable by and for the "pirates".

And you can mod Borderlands to support more players. However, the "modding" only works through LAN :P

Deroy, my point is that due to all these limitations, the number of players pirating a MP game trough VPN would hardly be considered a minority compared vs the overall population of gamers using legit copies so VPN piracy is not a real pretext to stop supporting LAN...

Furthermore, if pirates have the knowledge and skill to reverse engineer the game executable to crack down the listen server logic to make it work as a normal dedicated server file then they could also build the needed dedicated servers file from scratch with just looking at the client side code for online gaming located on the game executable.

now you have just touched a very interesting point, mudding is only possible trough LAN when dedicated servers does not exists or are held by the devs. that's where we think all this no-LAN wave thing is leading to :( please read here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13646182&postcount=48)

Deroy
02-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Deroy, my point is that due to all these limitations, the number of players pirating a MP game trough VPN would hardly be considered a minority compared vs the overall population of gamers using legit copies so VPN piracy is not a real pretext to stop supporting LAN...

Furthermore, if pirates have the knowledge and skill to reverse engineer the game executable to crack down the listen server logic to make it work as a normal dedicated server file then they could also build the needed dedicated servers file from scratch with just looking at the client side code for online gaming located on the game executable.

I do get your point. But lets twist it around a little bit:
There's no real piracy threat. There's just a ton of small networks.

But combined this ton of small networks becomes huge.

And some of these "small networks" just so happen to be VPN LAN(ers).
And not including the LAN feature into BC2 is one of the many ways EA DICE countermeasures piracy.

Edit: Point being: You have to start somewhere.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 02:37 PM
hello Deroy,

I don't think there are "tons" of networks, just look at tunngle metrics (http://www.tunngle.net/community/), they have 213 thousand members but only 2,270 are active in 340 out of 460 networks with a mean of 3 users by network and an average of 6 users by network, besides all those networks are not for the same game, the most popular one is CoD4 with 146 users and tunggle is right now the top 1 gaming VPN, and those metrics are from today, SUNDAY when most peoples logs in to play, just DoD:S has three times the amount of players that tunngle has right now with all the games together.

Valve already found the way to fight against piracy and is this: reward the legit owners with low price sales, constant support and updates and above all freedom and trust. That's what they have been doing with TF2 and business has never been better

Deroy
02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
hello Deroy,

I don't think there are "tons" of networks, just look at tunngle metrics (http://www.tunngle.net/community/), they have 213 thousand members but only 2,270 are active in 340 out of 460 networks with a mean of 3 users by network and an average of 6 users by network, besides all those networks are not for the same game, the most popular one is CoD4 with 146 users and tunggle is right now the top 1 gaming VPN, and those metrics are from today, SUNDAY when most peoples logs in to play, just DoD:S has three times the amount of players that tunngle has right now with all the games together.

Valve already found the way to fight against piracy and is this: reward the legit owners with low price sales, constant support and updates and above all freedom and trust. That's what they have been doing with TF2 and business has never been better

Indeed: Valve is doing that right
But even additional content may be pirated.
I'd say that DICE is doing it better: Forcing players buy the game to enjoy the multiplayer experience.
And I'd like to think that Hamachi is still the VPN program to use for "friend-play" and Tunngle is pretty much for people who wants to hook up with random people. Now I've used Hamachi to actually play with people who cracked L4D(1) and 2. Because they're well... "pirates"... Yes I do admit that I know people who just so happen to be pirates. I bash them daily because of it.

Now, with BC2: They won't be able to the same thing.
Which is why I support the whole lack of lan.

(DISCLAIMER: I pre-ordered both L4D and L4D2 and have only used the supplied game-files which steam has provided.)

Edit: By tons of "networks" I meant people who are using different methods and programs.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Indeed: Valve is doing that right
But even additional content may be pirated.
I'd say that DICE is doing it better: Forcing players buy the game to enjoy the multiplayer experience.
And I'd like to think that Hamachi is still the VPN program to use for "friend-play" and Tunngle is pretty much for people who wants to hook up with random people. Now I've used Hamachi to actually play with people who cracked L4D(1) and 2. Because they're well... "pirates"... Yes I do admit that I know people who just so happen to be pirates. I bash them daily because of it.

Now, with BC2: They won't be able to the same thing.
Which is why I support the whole lack of lan.

(DISCLAIMER: I pre-ordered both L4D and L4D2 and have only used the supplied game-files which steam has provided.)

Edit: By tons of "networks" I meant people who are using different methods and programs.

so for short you do not support LAN because of what, a handful of VPN pirates meanwhile thousands if not millions of legit owners have to bite the bullet :confused:... the numbers are there

Deroy
02-28-2010, 03:04 PM
so for short you do not support LAN because of what, a handful of VPN pirates meanwhile thousands if not millions of legit owners have to bite the bullet :confused:... the numbers are there

It is a common fact that piracy goes wild @ most Lan Parties as well. I'm not saying ALL.

Also: They're hardly a handful :P
And you must realise that LAN is not as demanding as it was back in 1999 since the internet has been "blooming" a lot over the last handful of years.

Rahab_mx
02-28-2010, 03:31 PM
as said before there are countless and far more effective ways to pirate games and any other kind of files than LANs, there are USB drives external HDD, broadband connections with P2P apps (hell even 40% of the worldwide internet traffic are bit torrents). the point is that you have already proven that VPN piracy is not an excuse to suppress LAN support and as said by many others, LAN parties are far from decreasing.

So guys keep your posts coming!

Deroy
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I never said that VPNs are used for filesharing?
I've merely stated that games with LAN support becomes a lot more appealing for pirates because they don't have to crack the online play.

GenitalFrogs
03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Ok. Do you know what games are more appealing for pirates? PC Games.

If that's the thinking you are supporting, I'm sure you love you Xbox/PS/Nintendo.

And, no. Valve is doing better: they're fighting the cause, not the consecuence.

kornedbeefy
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow, amazing how many people don't realize people still LAN party. I attend them every couple months. I attended one in Nov with 30ish people.

I online game ALL the time but I'll pick up and run to a LAN party at a drop of a pin. You can't beat the getting together in person with people who enjoy the same type of stuff you do. Then destroy them in a round of whatever game.

My son has 2 or 3 friends over pretty regularly just to LAN game.

DEVS, stop leaving out LAN/network play please. Everyone else get out of the house and go to a LAN or host your own. It only takes a couple to have a great time.

Many an attendee has went out and bought a game after they seen how fun it was at the LAN. BF1942 was one. The call of Duties up till MW2, Flatout 1 and 2, Swat 4. The list goes on and on.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing LAN/network play in my BF:BC2 game I just bought. I'll be passing the word to the guys not to buy it. Most are adults with money who buy their games. They don't have time to game at home so they only game at the LANS.

ISVRaDa
03-03-2010, 04:56 AM
There are still a lot of LAN parties around all Europe, America and Asia. LAN parties with 2000+ people.

Angry_Canadian
03-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Still. I need LAN, so I can practice offline, alone, and not get in a vehicule and take gameplay time from some other people that know how to play ...

azsyndicate
03-03-2010, 07:06 AM
I saw a lot of posting saying LANs are dead and you need "special" power to run more than 20.

My gaming group has Quarterly LANs with 20 to 30 people. We are lucky that two of our members have shops or "LAN-PADs" that have the room to easily support this many people. Other members host as well by simply moving furniture out of the house's main rooms. We have found that max, 12 people can game online at one time with a 2 Mb/s up broadband connection. So for our group, their really is a problem with not having a Local server option.

LAN pics - http://teamlan.gotskill.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=media;id=31

http://teamlan.gotskill.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9.0;attach=1;image

tardwrangler
03-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Still. I need LAN, so I can practice offline, alone, and not get in a vehicule and take gameplay time from some other people that know how to play ...

That's what really bothers me. It's not so much of an issue for people getting the game right away but it'll really hurt late comers when everyone else knows the vehicles and the maps and there's no way for somebody a month or a year from now to just cruise around alone or with a couple of friends to learn the ins and outs.

I'm confident that in time some sort of LAN capability will be worked out by geeks with too much time on their hands. After all it didnt take MW2 very long to get opened up. If I have to have a pirated copy just for LAN then so be it.

Brutus
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM

Both of those games allowed you to download dedicated server files and run them on a private server, but only as an un-ranked server.

ST34MM4CHIN3
03-03-2010, 09:09 AM

I knew this since before the Beta.

CptDobey
03-04-2010, 05:19 AM
In two weeks I will participate to a small and private lan party with about 20 friends.

At least 12 of us are considering to buy BFBC2 on this occasion.

Most of us will not play this game outside the lan party (i.e. over the Internet) thus there is no point to buy it if lan play is not possible.

Validation on the internet is ok (we do it with CSS, L4D...), but internet play is not possible technically.

I do not care if it is dedicated or listen servers as long as lan play is possible.

None of us will buy that game if lan play is not possible.

cal5k
03-04-2010, 05:31 AM
I dont give a crap about LAN gaming--sounds like a pirating exploit waiting to happen.

CptDobey
03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
We are doing lan parties every six months. We are all adults with a job. We pay the games we are playing at. If we can't play a game on lan, we will not buy that game (and we will not use pirated copy).

Do you know what will happen ?
Somehow the server program, the one which is not released to the public, will be hacked and distributed to the World. Pirates, as always, will play the game anyway. Only the honest people like us will be screwed.

No lan, no money.

Saryk
03-04-2010, 06:48 AM
I was disappointed with the lack of LAN. If they implement it at a later date then I can wait. But won’t be a deal breakers for me.

CVdk
03-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Well EA/DICE just shoot themself in both their feet by leaving out LAN option, or at least the option to host some sort of game yourself.

This game has so much potential to be a great tournament game. But without a private server host feature it is just not gonna happen. No one in their right mind want to rent a server to play with your friends for a weekend.

I'm a host of a small/medium sized LAN party in Denmark. And we were planning on using Bad Company 2 as a tournament game. But that idea is out the window with this "NO LAN" bullcrap...

Zorlac
03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I could care less about Lan. I don't use Dial-up to play games on these days.

robin1232
03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I made an account just to bump this topic.

I use LAN to play with friends and I don't have internet at the time I do it.

I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THIS ♥♥♥♥ING GAME TO LAN!!!

GenitalFrogs
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

I dont give a crap about LAN gaming--sounds like a pirating exploit waiting to happen.

Those have been already discussed. Please, kids, if you don't know how to read, don't post.

rzarectah
03-04-2010, 06:27 PM

omg what a n00b lol

Freyar
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I love LAN servers and LAN games, but I don't pretend that LAN options are a "right".

kommandojoe
03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I have never lan'd, but more and more i crave to do so. But i don't think this would be the best game to Lan...
Maybe have a few friends over and make a squad, but not lan. Something like Company of Heroes, Unreal tournament 3, Killing Floor, thats the stuff you LAN on ;)

starkaas
03-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Not every country in the world has fast internet speeds. Australia's internet is all over the play and with large amounts of unpopulated areas it is more expensive to have connections that are very fast to all areas...

@Dingo

I myself attend a regular 26+ people LAN every month with a 'mini' LAN of 10 to 16 people every couple of weeks. They are great fun and very popular. The banter one someone pwns someone else is great in that atmosphere. Also we have a perfectly working BS2 dedicated server for these, and surprisingly this is the only time that MW2 works quite well as long as we have two good sized teams of even numbers.

I haven't had a lan party since Counter-Strike 1.3..or something to that effect.

One broadband connection at somebodies house could support you and 8 other gamers...I don't see the big deal..

You're not much of a gamer than. We have LAN's that have peeps connecting over the interwebs sure but the main focus is the crowd of 30 sweet geeks smashing it up in the house and yelling at each other face to face.

See above.

starkaas
03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Also, our first 'organised' LAN was 6 people in a garage with only one or to legit copies of COD 4.

Two weeks later it was 10 or 12 with about half of us with legit copies.

A month later it was 20+ people with only one or two that DIDN'T have legit copies.

This turned into monthly LAN of 26+ people, ALL having legit copies so they could get their rank up for the LANS!!!.

What is my point you ask?
My point is that if you make a really good game, and I don't mean with just good graphics and reasonable game play, I mean great graphics, great game play, great playability, great user support and customisation options, and a way of hosting and creating great events using these games, then it will help against piracy and a lot of the other crap that goes on. Sure people that can't afford to buy them straight away might turn to piracy as mentioned above, but they are going to put off buy that extra big mac, that extra case of beer, something nice for the bf/gf, to get their legit copy of the games so they can hang at the cool LAN's too. The companies need to forget about trying to combat piracy as it's always going to be there. If they can make it, someone can unmake it. They should concentrate on the game itself! It will end up paying for itself over and over, create a bigger fan base, and maybe even cutting down on the ♥♥♥♥ing ranting on all the forums too!

/RANTOFF

rzarectah
03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Also, our first 'organised' LAN was 6 people in a garage with only one or to legit copies of COD 4.

Two weeks later it was 10 or 12 with about half of us with legit copies.

A month later it was 20+ people with only one or two that DIDN'T have legit copies.

This turned into monthly LAN of 26+ people, ALL having legit copies so they could get their rank up for the LANS!!!.

What is my point you ask?
My point is that if you make a really good game, and I don't mean with just good graphics and reasonable game play, I mean great graphics, great game play, great playability, great user support and customisation options, and a way of hosting and creating great events using these games, then it will help against piracy and a lot of the other crap that goes on. Sure people that can't afford to buy them straight away might turn to piracy as mentioned above, but they are going to put off buy that extra big mac, that extra case of beer, something nice for the bf/gf, to get their legit copy of the games so they can hang at the cool LAN's too. The companies need to forget about trying to combat piracy as it's always going to be there. If they can make it, someone can unmake it. They should concentrate on the game itself! It will end up paying for itself over and over, create a bigger fan base, and maybe even cutting down on the ♥♥♥♥ing ranting on all the forums too!

/RANTOFF

well said ...

I first got into the cod series when a friend brought cod2 to the dorms after xmas break, needless to say we LANed the ♥♥♥♥ outta that game on our floor and eventually quite a few people that would have never known of the game otherwise were purchasing copies of their own.

Vegitto
03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I pre-purchased this game because it looks like a great game and the beta was quite a lot of fun. Regardless of LAN, it will be worth the money. However, I am really hoping at some point that they release files to make this game LAN-friendly as it's that function that, for me, decides the longevity of interest in this game.

Sure, make it where you need legal copies and such. No problems with that and like Starkass said, even when it starts out with some not using legit copies it leads to more legit copies as people learn the game is worth it. I enjoy playing COD:MW at our LANs now but would like something new to play and this game certainly has great LAN potential.

As of this moment none of my LAN buddies are picking up this game solely because of the no-LAN potential and they were initially excited when I showed the game videos. Many of the group are just not big in online gaming but love to throw down once every 2-3 months at a LAN party.

Anyway, here's to hoping. Keep up the good fight.

Delicieuxz
03-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Count me in as one who wants to be able to set up a server on my PC, either to LAN, or to practice by myself. And, sometimes, it's nice just to play solo. If they release a mod kit, someone else will create bot support.

TwisteDreams
03-05-2010, 12:02 AM
im in...............

backroger
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Well come to the future boys!!!.....You have to accept that Developer are slowly taking out LAN.

MW2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and others are starting it.

CptDobey
03-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I love LAN servers and LAN games, but I don't pretend that LAN options are a "right".

I do not see it as a "right" either. it is a commercial argument. More precisely, the lack of lan play is an "not to buy" argument.

There is absolutely no technical reason to disallow lan play, once the "net play" is there. The only reason is to (try to) control everything about the game in order to limit modding or pirated stuff. The first objective will probably be a success. The second objective will be a major failure, as always.

Well come to the future boys!!!.....You have to accept that Developer are slowly taking out LAN.
Come on... Once the net code is there to play on the Internet, there is almost nothing to do to allow people to play on lan. The ban of lan play is purely a way to (try to) control players. Nothing else.

Shinigamii
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM

mw2 and sc2 without lan = damn lame
i mean sc is like the best rts game of all time and its damn fun to play it on lan
and mw2 well most pc users ignored this game cause of all the ♥♥♥♥ involved
but i mean battlefield series are damn fun and got so much lan potencial
we know that online gaming might be the future , but devs should forget that some people still lan montly , daily , and such
like many ppl said , its not the same to play face to face with your friends
yeah

Freyar
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
There is absolutely no technical reason to disallow lan play, once the "net play" is there. The only reason is to (try to) control everything about the game in order to limit modding or pirated stuff.

My emphasis.

You hit the nail on the head, and frankly LAN play, in junction with easy-to-use VPNs will keep disappearing for major titles.

Danne89
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Haha I did that aswell... And you could not add bots so it was just you and your few friends on maps made for 64 players :D

..meatshield..
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
BF1942/Desert Combat mod were a mainstay at our lan group way back in the day. The group organizers were guys who lived in the boonies with dialup, so they started a group that they hosted in a church that had cable. Outgoing internet connections were closed at first- if you needed a patch or something, the guys would dl it and put it on the download box for everyone. After WoW came out, and CoD UO, we made them open the firewall for us so we could do other things besides get locked into doing only what they said :P

Nevertheless this group ran monthly for several years, but as hispeed became more prevalent the turnout got less and less. I was one of the ones to start staying home first, because the place we played at was over an hour from home and it was just a hell drive at 2 in the morning.

Nevertheless I still go back a couple times a year just for old times sake and to pwn some noobs face to face :) There is NOTHING about online play that can replace the face-to-face smacktalk that you can only get at a lan.

Rahab_mx
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
My emphasis.

You hit the nail on the head, and frankly LAN play, in junction with easy-to-use VPNs will keep disappearing for major titles.

Freyar, don't fool yourself taking the quote out of context, put the whole message:

here is absolutely no technical reason to disallow lan play, once the "net play" is there. The only reason is to (try to) control everything about the game in order to limit modding or pirated stuff. The first objective will probably be a success. The second objective will be a major failure, as always.

This piracy preventing method has already been refuted with quite solid arguments. Please read this thread posts on pages 8 to 10 about VPNs and LAN piracy

All those games are being or were developed by the same mother "fockers" from Activision (aka kotick's "vitches"). In response to MW2 now we have dedicated servers on BF:BC2, now IW lays in ruins due to their own greed and SC2 and D3 will not sell as well as ti could due to numerous restrictions that Activision/blizzard is implementing like the charge per campaign on star craft 2 and the fees for battlenet 2

During a BlizzCon 08 panel discussion, Jay Wilson (Diablo 3 director) said, "We are looking to monetize Battle.Net so that we get to keep making these games and updating features. We kind of have to.”

Blizzard wants to avoid putting in the word "subscription" but yes, some "unknown" features (like playing) will cost money. and hell I'm sure they will make the official announce just 2 weeks before the release like they did with MW2 and the no dedicated servers stuff

Preventing piracy is not an argument, companies like Valve have proved that companies that are almost entirely devoted to making their legions of PC fans happy massively sells titles year after year without the kind of pain-in-the-"azz" DRM, moding control, DLC, etc, etc, etc, that other publishers use. The result? Extremely loyal fanbases who would fall on a sword for Gabe Newell. Brand loyalty through customer satisfaction. God"dam" brilliant!.

PC loyal companies that takes their time to utilize new technology to make sure that their consumers get the best games possible (one that are actually worth paying full price for) don't have to worry about piracy.

Mr.Ceefus
03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Freyar, don't fool yourself taking the quote out of context, put the whole message:

[quote=CptDobey]here is absolutely no technical reason to disallow lan play, once the "net play" is there. The only reason is to (try to) control everything about the game in order to limit modding or pirated stuff. The first objective will probably be a success. The second objective will be a major failure, as always.

This piracy preventing method has already been refuted with quite solid arguments. Please read this thread posts on pages 8 to 10 about VPNs and LAN piracy

All those games are being or were developed by the same mother "fockers" from Activision (aka kotick's "vitches"). In response to MW2 now we have dedicated servers on BF:BC2, now IW lays in ruins due to their own greed and SC2 and D3 will not sell as well as ti could due to numerous restrictions that Activision/blizzard is implementing like the charge per campaign on star craft 2 and the fees for battlenet 2

Blizzard wants to avoid putting in the word "subscription" but yes, some "unknown" features (like playing) will cost money. and hell I'm sure they will make the official announce just 2 weeks before the release like they did with MW2 and the no dedicated servers stuff

Preventing piracy is not an argument, companies like Valve have proved that companies that are almost entirely devoted to making their legions of PC fans happy massively sells titles year after year without the kind of pain-in-the-"azz" DRM, moding control, DLC, etc, etc, etc, that other publishers use. The result? Extremely loyal fanbases who would fall on a sword for Gabe Newell. Brand loyalty through customer satisfaction. God"dam" brilliant!.

PC loyal companies that takes their time to utilize new technology to make sure that their consumers get the best games possible (one that are actually worth paying full price for) don't have to worry about piracy.

if gabe walked into a room and said jump, i would indeed ascertain as to how high. :)

XEshamX
03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Please don't dice. Although they don't even check these forums so who cares.

But honestly its a slippery slope. Lan play means access to server code. Server code means 2 things:

a) no need to buy the game for close friends since you can just use vpn tools
b) hacks. access to server code makes exploiting said code simple.

starkaas
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM

But honestly its a slippery slope. Lan play means access to server code. Server code means 2 things:

As I and several others have mentioned, yes you can pirate the game easier, but, if you provide a good game with good features (especially online features) then people will be more than willing to buy the game and support the developers that make these games. This is what a loyal fan base will do to help keep the good games coming.

There will ALWAYS be hackers and pirates. It's human nature to want something for nothing. And, if it can be made it can be unmade. They will never be able to stop it, therefore in my opinion, they should stop trying so hard to stop them (they still need to try of course. And hackers are just a low form of humanity that need to be better educated on the benefits of, and having, actual skill) and make consistently quality games that people WANT to pay for.

The PC market is not the same as the console market. The players are a different breed. They want to be able to do more that just turn the game on and be told who they are to connect to. They want to be able to host events that have custom content. A game is a tool. A company can only do so much, they should look to the community for input. And what a great idea to allow the community to make maps and mods for a game. It allows the developers to concentrate on the next game, or tweaking the current game to make it even better. They might even find some new talent that didn't even know they were out there until they got the opportunity to be creative. ;)

Rahab_mx
03-10-2010, 08:10 AM

hello XEshamX

about your point "A":
on page number 10 we have already proved that the overall pirate VPN players around the globe using tunggle is hardly above 2000 people they and divided among 410 games, the most played game trough VPN is CoD4:MW it hardly has 164 players. Hamachi population is even smaller plus playing trough VPN has the same performance as using matchmaking systems discouraging mass piracy of the game. VPN piracy is not big enough to be considered a treat

Regarding point "B": there are already hacks….. Epic Failure!

Server code means a third thing: modding capability even without official tools

If players can host games, even if it is only at a LAN level, then they can create maps and add-ons for the LAN games and it would be only a matter of time until they find out a way to upload that content into the WAN servers and that would mess up with EA’s DLC milking project. Sure, many will say that EA gave the first “DLC” for free but EA has never stated that future DLC will be free too

Rahab_mx
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
HA! knew it, EA is only looking forward to sell us cheep DLC stuff that could be easily made by modders for free

EA’s chief financial officer Eric Brown has reiterated the company’s “extensive paid digital content plan” for DICE’s Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

The recently released shooter will give players “multiple opportunities to spend five, 10 or 15 dollars on additional content in the next six months or so,”

you can read the full post from here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184770)

therusk
03-10-2010, 12:44 PM

point a says it all. and thats about it really. profit over fun. and thats why eventually gaming will die just like everything else that gets milked for cash.

I really had no idea how much hostility there was towards LAN.. "who cares" etc etc. Who cares? You should care, seeing as support was only thrown at Internet gaming because of the people who actually put themselves out to make these titles sucessful in the first place.. at LAN... you tart.

Knyte
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Not having LAN is a game makers choice. It's not like they have to spend extra time to create it. If you have internet play, then LAN play is already there. They both work the EXACT same way.

The only reason there is no LAN at the moment, is because you can't download a dedicated server client for BC2.

Every other Battlefield game had this. I hope in time BC2 does as well.

Piracy had never been much of an issue with Battlefield games, because to get the most of them, you have to play online. Which means you need a legal and valid CD Key to register to an EA account.

zyxwv88
03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I know some of you are nuts about internet play, but some of us still like LAN play. I, for example, have 4 kids that like to play games. They are still young enough that I don't really want them playing online with just anyone (the youngest is 7), but LAN games give us a good chance to have some fun and play as a family and is the easiest and best way. It's a major pain on games to try to make sure everyone is on the same server and that the games are password protected so the game is restricted to us.

Unfortunately, there is also a high cost involved for playing as a family. 5 people times $60 a game is $300 to play. I have no problem paying for games I play, but it does get expensive to play games as a family online. Not a lot of people can afford to plunk down $300 for every new online game they want to play, and if I'm going to pay that much, the game better be very freaking awesome and it better support LAN games.

Death_Masta187
03-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont think posting about adding this on steam will get anywhere unfortunately.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/436590.page#4044955 is where I started posting about adding LAN support.

UWReason3D
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
VPN on LAN has been the savior of pirates well into the past, contiuning to today.

while some people wnload backups, others just want a new game and laugh at not spending a dime.

this is a good reason to prohibit LAN, because theres no way to authenticate your account... and piracy is rampant.

skacikplz
03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
pity , always wanted to play with friends on lan , also i would love singleplayer skirmish with bots

SkoZombie
02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
The whole "LAN support increases piracy" is BS, the only people that really get hurt without LAN support are people that buy the game who what to play at LANs.

I bought BF:BC2 because I thought it had LAN support, obviously I was wrong and will be far less inclined to spend my hard earned when BF3 comes out, much like I avoided shelling out for Starcraft 2 that I had waited for years for due to blizzard being wankers about LAN play.

<AvA>Duff5000
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
The whole "LAN support increases piracy" is BS, the only people that really get hurt without LAN support are people that buy the game who what to play at LANs.

I bought BF:BC2 because I thought it had LAN support, obviously I was wrong and will be far less inclined to spend my hard earned when BF3 comes out, much like I avoided shelling out for Starcraft 2 that I had waited for years for due to blizzard being wankers about LAN play.

bumping year old threads is BS....

twistedneck
02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
bumping year old threads is BS....

I agree, re-bump! On Jan 22nd 2011 we had a 15 person lan party - but only about 6 or 8 could play BC2 because the upload channel we had sucked out in the sticks.

Not to mention, we can't have all the fun of making our own server and running it with our own settings i get that they are sick of piracy so they have cut out lan and that does work. but wtf, find a better way EA / DICE

pinkled5
05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Just bought three copies of BF:BC2 (gifted two of them to my two other accounts) before I realized there's no LAN or bots. What a scam! I just got robbed... Caveat Emptor, I guess.

Robotkio
05-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Just bought three copies of BF:BC2 (gifted two of them to my two other accounts) before I realized there's no LAN or bots. What a scam! I just got robbed... Caveat Emptor, I guess.
Just for the record this thread is a year old, so this information has been around a while. Not that I'm trying to be a jerk or anything but it is a good idea to research a game a bit before buying it. Sucks you had to find out the hard way about BC2, though, I sympathize.