PDA

View Full Version : Xp professional 32 bit sp3 or 64 bit sp2

dinamita95
02-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Hello Everyone, I have decided to install back Windows XP because I had problems with Vista, and now with the new windows 7 ultimate, I have the rare administrator problems which occur in some ultimate versions, so I've decided to go back with XP. My question is which one I should install, I have 4gb ram and I've heard very good things for sp3 but it is for 32 bit only. But 32bit reads up to 3.2-3.5gb

So please, thanks for your help.

Bulletbrain7
02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Honestly, if this PC is just for gaming, you aren't going to see a performance difference between 32 or 64 bit.

dinamita95
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Yea, it is for gaming and every day activities : checking the mail, reading news, youtube etc. Not photoshopping or 3d working or anything.

seseorang
02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I use XP x64 which is based on Windows Server 2003. Only a couple games don't like it too much. But no real problems that can't be solved anyway.
DooM 3 retail needs to be modified before it can be installed. Once that was installed - no problems.

People say that there isn't much difference between 64bit and 32bit. But there is. If the 64bit hardware is running 32bit software, the operating system has to run a compatibility layer to run 32bit. This wouldn't be a problem if the software was designed with 64bit in mind only.

These days, the majority of people should be running 64bit hardware anyway.

dinamita95
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I use XP x64 which is based on Windows Server 2003. Only a couple games don't like it too much. But no real problems that can't be solved anyway.
DooM 3 retail needs to be modified before it can be installed. Once that was installed - no problems.

People say that there isn't much difference between 64bit and 32bit. But there is. If the 64bit hardware is running 32bit software, the operating system has to run a compatibility layer to run 32bit. This wouldn't be a problem if the software was designed with 64bit in mind only.

These days, the majority of people should be running 64bit hardware anyway.

Ok, so today in 2010, there is no major problems with XP x64? I know there is no problems with vista x64 and 7 x64 but xp?

The reason I am deleting seven is because I have administrator problems, while I am the ultimate administrator. It often when I try to delete something, it tells you need permission from system, while I have.

Also, when I install a game, the system deletes my executables, and I have to manually copy the exes from the disk...
The other reason is that it gives me bsod with a new windows 7 file dxgmm1s.sys which apparently can't be fixed for now.

You said that some games should be tricked, but does it give headaches?

Am I going to be able to install Punkbuster correctly? Because my windows 7 ultimate x64 today doesn't want to put things in the system32 folder and everything goes wrong... Thanks

3ShirtlessMen
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
It sounds like your Windows 7 installation is corrupted or something odd, since I've never seen that before. Is it a torrent copy?

I've personally never used XP 64bit, but I've heard that there are still issues with it, like not a lot of support by various manufacturers and developers. Stable drivers may be more difficult to come by than a 32bit install.

I suggest you put more time into researching your Windows 7 problem. You may need to simply re-create your user profile.

marie pavie
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
x64, but first check around for info re your vid cards drivers.

edit
...or better yet, fix your rare administrator problems.

seseorang
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I've used Windows XP x64 for a couple years now - and no major problems. It just seems as though Windows XP x64 doesn't have much support as it was released after the major release of Windows XP itself...
As Vista x86 and Vista x64 were released together there is support for both easily

UWReason3D
02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
where would i find a copy of XP Pro (x64) from a reliable retailer?

i think i will upgrade to W7 when i can afford the W7 ready hardware.

seseorang
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
It will be hard to get a hold of as there is not much call for it. You may need to look on the internet for a copy

0ddity
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
If you plan on using more than 3 gigs of ram then 64 bit, otherwise stick with 32.

marie pavie
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I'd try ebay, cause 'from $144' is just insane.

Washell
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
MS stopped shipping retail versions of XP in June 2008 and stopped shipping them to system-builders January 2009. Any version you find in the store is leftover stock and you'll buying yesterdays software. Do the Windows 7 compatibility test (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en), your current hardware may be perfectly capable of running it. You may need to replace a soundcard, but that's probably still cheaper in the long run.

Bad_Motha
02-25-2010, 04:24 AM
where would i find a copy of XP Pro (x64) from a reliable retailer?

i think i will upgrade to W7 when i can afford the W7 ready hardware.

What all is in your current machine?

Trust me, XP 64-bit is a useless POS. It's no wonder MS stopped supporting it after 6 months. Don't even consider buying. It's no longer supported and software that runs fine under Vista or Win7 64-bit does not work 100% in XP 64-bit. Not much driver support either.

Run the Windows7 compibility test (linked in the post above) and see what all it says. Also look at what software you like to use under XP 32-bit, chances are some things, like PowerDVD or NERO you're most likely going to have to upgrade to a later version for it to work under Vista or Win7.

joemtnbike
02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
What all is in your current machine?

Trust me, XP 64-bit is a useless POS. It's no wonder MS stopped supporting it after 6 months. Don't even consider buying. It's no longer supported and software that runs fine under Vista or Win7 64-bit does not work 100% in XP 64-bit. Not much driver support either.

Run the Windows7 compibility test (linked in the post above) and see what all it says. Also look at what software you like to use under XP 32-bit, chances are some things, like PowerDVD or NERO you're most likely going to have to upgrade to a later version for it to work under Vista or Win7.

Where do you get your information?
Win XP x64 is a highly stable OS based on the Server2003 64-bit kernel.

Where do you get that it was only supported for 6 months.
Windows XP Professional Lifecycle
General Availability Date 4/24/2005 | Mainstream Support Retired 4/14/2009 | Extended Support Retired 4/8/2014

Source here: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=8599

I have yet to find a piece of software that does not run on xp x64 and I have been running it for 2 years now.
I have had no problem with finding drivers for my hardware but it is all pretty recent hardware.

Yes it is going on 5 years old but if you don't want to go to seven and you can find a copy for a reasonable price on the Internet don't let this guy's misinformed post influence your decision.

Regardless of your OS there is no need to pay for PowerDVD or Nero.
You can use VLC PLayer & CDBurnerXP to perform these tasks.
They are well supported open source applications that seem to work on every common Windows platform (Yes I pretty much run them all)
Win xp Pro 32 & 64, Win Vista 32 & 64, Win7 32 & 64

seseorang
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
People just refer to reviews alone...

The only problem I have come across is the lack of 16bit support. But that exists in Vista and not just XP x64.

The same can be said about Windows ME. People say with powerful enough computers, it can be a stable operating system

3ShirtlessMen
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
People just refer to reviews alone...

The only problem I have come across is the lack of 16bit support. But that exists in Vista and not just XP x64.

The same can be said about Windows ME. People say with powerful enough computers, it can be a stable operating system

The issue with ME was sloppy code that handles the drivers. No raw processing speed can counter that. Bad code = unstable machine, no matter the machine you use.

UWReason3D
02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
i love XP 32 bit,

im was to run xp pro 64 bit in :

antec 900
nforce 750i
q9550
gtx 275 SLI

Washell
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Windows 7 will run perfectly on that.

dinamita95
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok, so it seems that windows xp x64 is good? I just want a stable os, I am really tired of operating systems, when I have time on the computer, I spend it on hardware and software tweaking instead of playing my games. I have never used windows xp on this computer with 4gb ram quad core 2.9ghz, geforce 9800 gt 80gb hard drive, that's why I ask.

Washell
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
XP 64 bit can, if you're unlucky in driver support, require much more tweaking and messing around than windows 7. If you must use XP, use the 32 bit version.

Bulletbrain7
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I am running XP Pro 32 bit on one PC, Vista 32 on another, and Vista 64 on yet one more. No problems. Vista is fine. Windows 7 would be better though. But I am not made of money and licenses for upgrades gets expensive when you are running a number of PC's. In fact, I have two laptops still running XP. Now who has the money for all that. But there would be no way I run back to XP that just doesn't make any sense. The problem isn't Vista any more, TBH, it is the end user.

dinamita95
02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I am running XP Pro 32 bit on one PC, Vista 32 on another, and Vista 64 on yet one more. No problems. Vista is fine. Windows 7 would be better though. But I am not made of money and licenses for upgrades gets expensive when you are running a number of PC's. In fact, I have two laptops still running XP. Now who has the money for all that. But there would be no way I run back to XP that just doesn't make any sense. The problem isn't Vista any more, TBH, it is the end user.

Well, I didn't have problems with Vista it started to bsod, so I reinstalled. But now windows 7 gives me a crash with only a windows 7 file and apparently there is no fix for it. I've heard that Vista had a similar problem when it came out, and it got fixed a year later.

3ShirtlessMen
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
No fix for the crash? What crash is this? I'm confident we can find a solution.

Washell
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM
If 2 different OS' have problems on the same computer, the problem isn't likely to be either of the OS'. So yes, more information please.

NotYourHero
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
xp 64bit sucks. If you want a good 64 bit system go w7

joemtnbike
02-26-2010, 02:40 AM
xp 64bit sucks. If you want a good 64 bit system go w7

in what way does it suck? I'm interested in your justification for this statement.

seseorang
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Running an nForce board means the drivers are easily available in 64bit from www.nvidia.com

Zvenalot
02-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Go with 32 bit xp sp3, the 64 bit is just a headache maker + for that little difference in the ram it won't do anything special.

dinamita95
02-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Ok about the windows 7 crash is bsod with a file called dxgmms1.sys

It happens randomly, could from 1 minute after ingame to 30 minutes. Not overheating. FPS is good, sticks to my refresh rate.

It's a new windows 7 file and apparently there is no fix for it.

Bulletbrain7
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
My research says that it is probably a bad motherboard.

Europhoria
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
in what way does it suck? I'm interested in your justification for this statement.

From what I hear, XP 64bit was never really intended for mass release and is extremely buggy. Driver support isn't great either.

Washell
02-27-2010, 12:26 AM
The only problem with XP 64 bit is the poor quality drivers or total absence of them. If there are good drivers for your hardware, XP 64 bit is just as stable as XP 32 bit, or both versions of Vista and Seven.

joemtnbike
02-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Ok about the windows 7 crash is bsod with a file called dxgmms1.sys

It happens randomly, could from 1 minute after ingame to 30 minutes. Not overheating. FPS is good, sticks to my refresh rate.

It's a new windows 7 file and apparently there is no fix for it.

Problem could be with directX.
try updating here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

However most BSODs in windows 7 are because of bad hardware or drivers.

joemtnbike
02-27-2010, 04:41 AM
From what I hear, XP 64bit was never really intended for mass release and is extremely buggy. Driver support isn't great either.

Windows XP Pro x64 isn't buggy its extremely stable as its the same kernel that Windows server 2003 uses. However, I agree that some hardware may not have had the best drivers available. The same was true for Windows Vista for quite some time after release.

The irony is that I just upgraded my Windows XP Pro x64 to to Windows7 64-bit yesterday. No reason other than I like Windows 7 and wanted DirectX 10 and 11 support. Stability and driver availability in XP x64 was not a problem for my hardware.
Now I have major sound issues.

RageRiot
02-27-2010, 05:05 AM
if it's XP stick with 32bit

if it's vista or win 7 then use 64 but only if you have 4GB of Ram

joemtnbike
02-27-2010, 05:16 AM
if it's XP stick with 32bit

if it's vista or win 7 then use 64 but only if you have 4GB of Ram

Even if you don't have 4 GB of RAM there is no reason to run 32 bit OS. Go 64 and leave yourself open to adding RAM in the future. I mean cmon, 64-bit computing has been available to the masses for 5 years now. It is sickening that 32-bit Operating systems even exist today.

RageRiot
02-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Even if you don't have 4 GB of RAM there is no reason to run 32 bit OS. Go 64 and leave yourself open to adding RAM in the future. I mean cmon, 64-bit computing has been available to the masses for 5 years now. It is sickening that 32-bit Operating systems even exist today.

I should have said mainly if you have 4Gb of ram

xp 64 sucked and there is no point.
and unless there is a specific reason other thn the Ram ( have less than 4 GB )
then you should go with 64bit version of win 7 or vista but I strongly advise on 7 since vista was a disater.

joemtnbike
02-27-2010, 05:40 AM
xp 64 sucked and there is no point.

What sucks about XP x64? I believe that most people who say that never actually used it. The point would be to run 64 bit architecture if you don't want to use Vista or 7. :)

RageRiot
02-27-2010, 08:18 AM
What sucks about XP x64? I believe that most people who say that never actually used it. The point would be to run 64 bit architecture if you don't want to use Vista or 7. :)

I can tell you I used it and it sucked.
application and driver support was bad. it seemed developers decided to move to vista and win 7 support.

§W-
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Since drivers run in the kernel level, your operating system is only as stable as your drivers. If all your hardware has MS signed drivers for xp 64bit, that would be a good sign that xp 64bit will work well, if not, you will have to test it and see if it runs properly.
Since XP 64-bit is kinda out of date with vista and 7, and was never very well supported, it might just not work if you can't get good drivers for it.

I say, see if you can obtain stable, xp64bit, manufacturer provided drivers for your hardware first.

NyeinK
02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
There is a lot more support for XP x64 these days then there was some years ago. Just tell us the items you need drivers for, I am sure most of them will be findable unless its from some odd manufacturer. I have even seen some of the larger manufacturers still putting out drivers for Windows 2000.

koolguy405
02-27-2010, 02:54 PM
i got windows 7 xp with 32 bit operation-system and when ever i try to play cz or cs it automatically changes my video settings to 16 bit and software and i can never change it back, plus the graphics really looks horrible how do i fix this???? ty

dinamita95
02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, I decided to move on xp professional x64, but now when I put the disk and go to format my hard drive with quick or slow format, it says that setup was unable to format the hard drive and that the disk may be managed. Is this true, my hard drive is loading well, I don't see problems but the xp installation can't format it.

Also there is an option delete partition what does it do?

marie pavie
02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
"managed"? Vista & W7 use later versions of NTFS, maybe that's the problem. Partitions turn into different drive letters. You'd delete the partition, then create a new one & format it. Make sure you got all the files you need backed up, everything will be gone.

dinamita95
02-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Sorry, it said damaged.

But now as it said it couldn't format, what if I format and lose all my files, then when I install it says it can't create or format the new partition, then what I am going to do.

I don't want my hard drive to be damaged, is there any software that can check for hard drive errors, because I can't tell my parents : Mom, I did something to improve my gaming performance but it went wrong and now the computer doesn't work. I am scared...

marie pavie
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
The drive mfg. will have disk test tools on their website (IE seatools) that you can download. Also an incorrect setting in the BIOS for the drive can cause problems. Tell us specifically what the error is.

dinamita95
02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, there is no error. It starts to format then quickly finishes and it says this, the standard message of windows xp :

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
To continue, press ENTER.

smellykaka
02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Everyone I know personally who tried XP 64 hated it. ♥♥♥♥♥es were primarily about driver support.

NyeinK
02-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I never had a major issue with Windows XP x64. One system I worked on, it had Windows XP 32-bit on a RAID-0 with two disks and one partition. Used partition magic to resize it into four even sized partitions, formatted the new partitions then installed Windows XP x64, Windows 7 64-bit, and Ubuntu 9.10 on each new partition with no problems or issues. Was able to find all the Windows based drivers online from the manufacturer’s sites.

whisperity
02-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Many programs don't have x64 support. And, SP2 XP is no longer supported via Microsoft.

In my opinion, use XP SP3 x86, however, I use an sp2 xp in all of my computers. And, update your browser from IE6, it's no longer supported either.

§W-
02-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Well... a corrupted and damaged drive may be the reason windows can't delete things on it. Especially if the security settings are damaged, then you may just get an access denied even as admin.

dinamita95
02-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, what security settings on the hard drive? That settings come from the OS, not the hard drive right? I had no problems with vista with security settings, but when installed 7 ultimate 64 bit it started. And about the can't format the partition problem, I've read that people get that with new drives too.

pizzahut
02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Many programs don't have x64 support. And, SP2 XP is no longer supported via Microsoft.
Programs don't need x64 support to be able to run. Drivers do though.

The latest SP for XP 64bit is SP2 and still supported. XP 32bit and 64bit don't share the same service packs.

whisperity
02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Programs don't need x64 support to be able to run. Drivers do though.

The latest SP for XP 64bit is SP2 and still supported. XP 32bit and 64bit don't share the same service packs.

Read the article: http://pcforum.hu/hirek/11866/Megszunteti+a+Vista+tamogatasat+a+Microsoft.html

A Microsoft néhány hónapon belül több jelentős szoftvere támogatását is megszünteti majd. A nyár kezdetén ugyanis végleg nyugdíjba vonul a Windows 2000, de véget ér a Windows XP SP2 és a az eredeti Windows Vista ún. nyilvános támogatási ciklusa is.

Microsoft has a few months a number of significant software support will cease. At the start of summer, Win2k finally retires, but the end will come for Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista public support cycle.

This means that WinXP is in the extended support range (8+ years after release). Drivers and service packs will not be common for SP2, howeve, users who patch for SP3, will still being supported.

joemtnbike
02-28-2010, 10:46 AM

In my opinion, use XP SP3 x86, however, I use an sp2 xp in all of my computers. And, update your browser from IE6, it's no longer supported either.

Both of your points are entirely inaccurate.

What i think you mean there are few programs that run native in 64-bit mode.
However, Windows provides compatibility with 32-bit native programs.
This is true of all Microsoft 64-bit Operating Systems.

Win XP Pro x64 is based on the Server 2003 x64 kernel and shares service packs with Windows Server 2003 x64 NOT Windows XP.
Service Pack 2 is the latest service pack for Windows XP Pro x64 & Windows Server 2003.
It is most definitely supported.
It was released considerably later and is in Extended support until 2014.

Windows XP Professional x64 Lifecycle
General Availability Date 4/24/2005 | Mainstream Support Retired 4/14/2009 | Extended Support Retired 4/8/2014

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=10&y=16&p1=8599

joemtnbike
02-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Read the article: http://pcforum.hu/hirek/11866/Megszunteti+a+Vista+tamogatasat+a+Microsoft.html

A Microsoft néhány hónapon belül több jelentős szoftvere támogatását is megszünteti majd. A nyár kezdetén ugyanis végleg nyugdíjba vonul a Windows 2000, de véget ér a Windows XP SP2 és a az eredeti Windows Vista ún. nyilvános támogatási ciklusa is.

Microsoft has a few months a number of significant software support will cease. At the start of summer, Win2k finally retires, but the end will come for Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista public support cycle.

This means that WinXP is in the extended support range (8+ years after release). Drivers and service packs will not be common for SP2, howeve, users who patch for SP3, will still being supported.

Link Broken.
and
Does not apply to Windows XP Pro x64.

seseorang
02-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, there is no error. It starts to format then quickly finishes and it says this, the standard message of windows xp :

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
To continue, press ENTER.

You will need to remove the disk and use in another machine to run diagnostics on it. Make sure the disk is dully functional before setting it up on the computer before reinstalling in the host computer. I use FAT32 on mine for personal reasons

NyeinK
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree with joemtnbike, he is right on with his information. Just about all 32-bit software for Windows XP works in the x64 version. As for drivers, it's not how it was back in 2005-2006. Today just about all of the major manufacturers have drivers for Windows XP x64 for both new and old hardware.

lilcyn
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I will advice to stick with 32 bit with sp3!

whisperity
03-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Link Broken.

It isn't broken, check it now (I've just checked it). However, pcforum.hu have some nameserver issues currently and sometimes unaviable.