PDA

View Full Version : AVP2 was far more terrifying

enggmaster
02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Does anyone here feel that the 2nd game was a lot scarier when playing marine? The aliens in that game move at breakneck speed, and they always go straight for you regardless.

But in this game, they don't move very fast.

Elpizo
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Exatcly. They run smooth, like swiming, but much slower. Thanks to this, I can stick with sniper rifle even in small rooms, which is slightly strange in my ophinion.
As a side note I should mention that AI Aliens also tend to stuck on some walls and run in circles.

Hal Oswin
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I found both these games to be not really scary at all. You feel like a badass walking tank in both the games.

AaronTheBaron
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I found both these games to be not really scary at all. You feel like a badass walking tank in both the games.

Its all about your mindset before playing

Vladplaya
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Okay once again, I haven't played the full game yet, BUT I play as marine in the the demo quite a bit, and I never get scared by aliens. Also I IMO playing against real people is way fking scarier than against computer for sure, cuz sometimes people come up with weird ♥♥♥ strategies to scare the sh*t out of you. (That's why I think that multiplayer > singleplayer )

I haven't played AvP2 for a while now, but from my memories it usually creeps me out pretty nicely. Maybe I should give it a try again while waiting for AvP3 to get fixed up, see how it stands up after all these years heh

enggmaster
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
And also in AVP2, the aliens have that epic pounce of theirs, which is almost impossible to dodge, and does a ton of damage, making them even more scarier.

Reamor
02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
yeah avp2 was more terrifying. What kills the shock factor in this game i think is the continuous chatter over the coms in sp.

As soon as i turned voice volume off it was a lot more scarier and i enjoyed the marine sp a lot more then when it was on.

Vladplaya
02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
And also in AVP2, the aliens have that epic pounce of theirs, which is almost impossible to dodge, and does a ton of damage, making them even more scarier.

Umm AvP3 has same pounce, except now you have to press two buttons to do it: Focus + Jump, doesn't do a Ton of damage, but it still hurts and stuns, which is just as good... so no more QQ about pounce please?

Vladplaya
02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
yeah avp2 was more terrifying. What kills the shock factor in this game i think is the continuous chatter over the coms in sp.

As soon as i turned voice volume off it was a lot more scarier and i enjoyed the marine sp a lot more then when it was on.

Hey that's good suggestion man, I should keep that in mind for when I get the game.

Also seems like a lot of people say that 360 degree motion tracker is not good for the scary aspect either.

Reamor
02-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey that's good suggestion man, I should keep that in mind for when I get the game.

Also seems like a lot of people say that 360 degree motion tracker is not good for the scary aspect either.

i found with the tracker <i dunno if any1 else noticed this but> if u get something on the tracker in front of u then turn round it is still being tracked but when it comes up from behind u don't know it is there till u turn round.... dunno might just be me but i found that a lot in mp and sp.

ComradeLenin
02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
AvP2 was not scary. Developed by Monolith, it was just like FEAR. You have to be looking at a certain place, at a certain time, for some creepy scripted event to appear for a few seconds.

SIG666
02-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Does anyone here feel that the 2nd game was a lot scarier when playing marine?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/acidblood666/predatordontcareaboutch.png

ad_bestias
02-24-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm afraid of Aliens in general, so both games are scary for me :) I understand the reaction of some doctor dude in Alien's campaign who just blew his brains out with a pistol when he saw me :)

AVP2 was a lot better though. I liked how Predator and General Rykov came out as old rivals - it added so much more to the story. Plus the 2nd mission for Marine was epic.

naitromu
02-25-2010, 12:40 AM
avp2 plot >>> avp3 plot

Kraorr
02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Umm AvP3 has same pounce, except now you have to press two buttons to do it: Focus + Jump, doesn't do a Ton of damage, but it still hurts and stuns, which is just as good... so no more QQ about pounce please?

Actually it doesn't stun at all ^^ It's more of a close and lock on move now; but I rather hop surface to surface anyways :P

Wolfrip_Sixshot
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM
AVP1 was more scary but you had respawning Aliens and the game was harder. AVP2 was less scary and more about plot. Starting out as a chest buster was fun though :P

KaL_YoshiKa
02-25-2010, 12:57 AM

You mean that slow thing that leaves you vulnerable then makes you hop about 1/2 a metre for a small amount of damage? The tailwhip is thrice as useful then the lock on move.

And yes I understand that this is not Monolith's game that doesn't matter when people say that the pounce was nice to have. It gave the alien some much need range to their attacks.

iXenomorph
02-25-2010, 01:30 AM
AvP2 definitely, I remember a lot more claustrophobic maps where you would be running in a tiny ♥♥♥ tunnel or vent and it'd be pitch black, only to get jumped by some Aliens, or a facehugger, which was instant kill back then.

The new AVP doesn't force you into tight corners as much, and the infinite battery life on your flashlight makes play with less urgency. Plus, the health system allows you to be pretty much well stocked on health throughout the game. In AVP2, you couldn't regen health or use stimpacks, so if you did something stupid like step in acid blood or use a pulse rifle grenade too close to your position, you could just watch your life drop and your pulse increase and go, "Oh... ♥♥♥♥..."

Griker
02-25-2010, 01:34 AM
I actually like AVP 2 more weapons and the multiplayer was the best I loved Life Cycle

BlackRabbit999
02-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Avp1= "Dancing on Ice" but with aliens, marines and predators

AvP2= Bunnyville, it was a horrid bunny hop fest in mp. Also the graphics were dead ♥♥♥ ugly, compared to the games of its times, the pred had incredibly small legs and giant unproportioned chest, the first single player level was just big empty rooms with one incredibly ugly designed creature.

Keep those games in the splendor of your memories...

Swiftsteel
02-25-2010, 03:32 AM
It all depends.
I remember some levels from AvP2 where as a marine you had to flee the scene while avoiding being overrun by a swarm of aliens chasing you, those bits were pretty intense.
In AvP2010, I die of fear every time I come across a Praetorian.
They were kinda silly in AvP2 what with the way they moved around, but they're more T-Rex like in appearance in this game, and harder to kill. They feel like proper mini-bosses.

GrimmReaper666
02-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Does anyone here feel that the 2nd game was a lot scarier when playing marine? The aliens in that game move at breakneck speed, and they always go straight for you regardless.

I agree - AVP2 was the scariest game i ever played
and i played hundreds

Lollercake
02-25-2010, 03:46 AM

It's not the same pounce at all. The pounce in this game is a joke. It's not powerful, and it's slow as hell.

NikolaiChekhov
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM
The pounce in AvP2 was stupid. How many aliens did you see flying around the rooms in the movies? None.

That's not to say AvP2 wasn't a good game, because it was, and I loved it.

I just had some issues with it.

Talvrae
02-25-2010, 05:30 AM
In the later part maybe, but in AvP 2 the first 2 missions if i remember well where very atmos^heric and effective to scare you... The new one jump straight into the actions

solidetuber
02-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Back in its day yes, not now though its oldschool, but might scare little kids :p

NasherUK
02-25-2010, 05:43 AM
The aliens in AVP2 were actually slower, it's just that they mindlessly ran strait at you so they got to you quicker. But they were WAY easier to kill.

The only reason the alien in avp2 had that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ superleap was because the MP balance was so bad they were useless without it (e.g. 1 quickshot from the plasma caster killed an alien, it also followed the target like a missile).

In AVP3 they seem to try and avoid being infront of you and out of the light, they also have more health. They are WAY harder to kill in AVP3 because of it, especially on hard/nightmare.

Kumando
02-25-2010, 05:51 AM
In the movies aliens never were so fast like the aliens depicted in avp games, only the runner alien in alien 3 was fast, the aliens from the first 2 movies specially the first one were slow as hell so i think the speed of the aliens in the game its fine.

Argos023
02-25-2010, 06:09 AM

Agreed. AVP2 was much more intense. Overall AVP2 was a better made game. The alien controls were more intuitive and game play was much smoother.

Rymdkejsaren
02-25-2010, 07:58 AM
The aliens seem to move like they are swimming through syrup. Melee autoaims. You collect shiny stuff to get rewards. Predator jumps are some sort of aim thing that makes no sense (what happened to pressing a jump button and AIMING your jump with "skill").

I want to keep the graphics, otherwise just port AvP2 which was and remains one of the best fps games in sp and mp that has been made.

All these sequels with consolitis makes me cry. Fair enough, make a game that consolers can play on a controller, but don't let the PC version suffer...

Major disappointment.

Calabi
02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
I've just been watching playthrough of this guy to remind myself of it. He seemed pretty scared, at quite a few points. Plus he died a lot(he was a pretty rubbish player though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xpuwrLB-HU&feature=related

You can just see from the videos the plot is way more epic, you have to go into a dangerous area then come out again, you drive an heavily armed mech.

It had lots of build ups and foreshadowing, and lots of tense your going to die moments. Some of its silly and bad, but whats good in it, is way more than this new AVP.

The aliens were more better, they died realistically, they died from getting hit with single bursts of armour piercing rounds. They needed to because they went straight for the jugular.

These new aliens they have to think about it, and they do stupid implausible zig zag runs, and when they get up close you just brush or shove em off. They take a ton load of pulse rifle bullets, making the pulse rifle weak and useless.

Boe-Os
02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
The games are all scary but at the same time none of them are scary, why? Because its all down to the individual and the different situations.

1) Some people think Aliens and think oh scary and let them selves get scared, they get freaked just by hearing the tracker beeping.

2)You have others that are more focused towards kicking some Alien ♥♥♥ and arent phased at all, they just want to blow stuff up!

3)You have hardcore gamers that see all the mechanics, know how the game function and know its just a game to not even be scared at all. They know if they walk past a certian trigger or that aliens can only do x, y and z and can be counterd by a, b and c.

4) Also you have to take in to consideration maybe AVP1 was scary for them because they were younger when they played it. there is a large gap between AVP1-AVP2-AVP3.

Calabi
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Well here's the thing fear is a universal emotion, it originates in our amigadala or something. Certain things are universally feared, snakes, heights, the dark etc. Whilst some people can overcome these fears, there are certain predictable methods, by which you can promote fear. So even someone whom, perhaps isnt afraid can understand that they are trying to instill fear.

You could look at it perfectly logically, take what elements create fear, see what elements are present in the games, see how well they use and portray fear. Just a few elements to examine, how well do they build up tension? How dark is it? How effective are the monsters, do they induce fear?(inducements include, does it have teeth(looks, etc), how likely are they to kill the player)?

Just a thought.

lamah
04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
AVP1 was more scary but you had respawning Aliens and the game was harder. AVP2 was less scary and more about plot. Starting out as a chest buster was fun though :P

Definitely,AVP1 was the most scary of the other AVPs.:eek:

RA_Fox
04-06-2010, 05:54 AM
I played all of the games and new AvP is the scariest for me, I guess because nightmare for marine is extremely tough and requires immense concentration. Atmosphere is more movie like (Not as if in AvP movie, but as realistic as it could be. AvP movies weren't scary.) so it works only towards increasing the scare factor. Music, ambience and sounds are very good in the game, this is were AvP gets highest marks for me.

AvP2 had very nice pacing, script and build-up and overall, single player wise, it's a lot better game. Scariest parts for me were first marine mission and return to overrun Primary Operations Complex. Coolest level was Forward Observation Pods, it really felt as if you're in a safe-zone on an extremely hostile planet.

And actually you can pounce by pressing light attack while focusing, you don't have to press jump necessarily :)

warmaster670
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Ya the aliens that walked towards you were really scary, instead of the aliens here that actually crawl ont eh walls and move like aliens.

Guess you must like alien shooting galleries.

Wolf_sas
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
AVP2 was far more terrifying

Yeah I remember seeing the predator skins in MP and thinking omg that's horrifying. Oh wait...

Flying_FoxDK
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I think the games are equally good, they all have strong and weak points. AVP1 went way to fast even as marine, AVP2 Aliens couldnt even catch up to marines they were way to slow, the aliens in AVP3 actually try and dodge your shots, tries to flank you and needs too many bullets to kill.

Predators....loleasymode in all 3 games.

Marine campaigns are equally scary/challenging in all 3 games for me at least.

AFireEternal
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
The new one jump straight into the actions

Lol, what? The Marine campaign goes on for like 5-10 minutes or more before you ever see an alien.

the unloved
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
the only thing i thought that was improved in avp3 (besides graphics) was the jump mechanics/focus modes

AcidGlow
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Actually no, the aliens in Avp2 aside from the runner were not faster. AVP3 sprinting aliens move faster. And in AvP2, they were so skinny and their 3d models didn't display their physical detail like AvP3 does. The reason the aliens in Avp2 always ran straight at you was because the game relied HEAVILY on scripted AI attack patterns!! lol!!! AvP1's AI was at least very random, they would run, scale walls and jump you and they were fast. AVP2's were so stupid and slow. They were so easy to take down.

Now in AvP3, they actually move very fluid and they actually dodge your firepower sometimes with a side hop and they do more wall crawling then AvP2's aliens.

Calabi
04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Those side hops and dodges the aliens do are the stupidest moves I've seen them do.

It makes no sense in reality for them to do it, it makes it obvious that your playing against an AI. It looks like canned animation to make it harder for the player to hit the thing, and of course its much more fun to have trouble hitting something because it moves like an idiot. With those dance moves it does they removed quite a lot of the fear of the creature.

MADDOGGE
04-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I love the realistic movements of the aliens in AvP3 and how they dodge some of your attacks but all the crawling isn't they way you see them in AvP1/2 or the first two movies. Attacking you standing up is much more scary than just running at you on all fours. Though they do make a smaller target. They are like Croco-panthers in this game and more like a Grizzly bear in the other games. A mix of both would have been nice but then I guess the developers would say these were genetically modified to run on all 4 most all the time by the mad scientists.

I will say I like AvP2010 better than AvP1 but AvP2 still holds my heart as more fun. Both AvP1 & AvP2 are definitely more scary imo despite the dated graphics.

If we could have mixed the dynamic spawning of #1, the story, scary and fun of #2 with the really nice animations and graphics of 3 we would have had a epic game. Instead we have a average casual game for todays market instead of something that would have tore us a new one.

Pikfor
04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
I love the realistic movements of the aliens in AvP3 and how they dodge some of your attacks but all the crawling isn't they way you see them in AvP1/2 or the first two movies. Attacking you standing up is much more scary than just running at you on all fours. Though they do make a smaller target. They are like Croco-panthers in this game and more like a Grizzly bear in the other games. A mix of both would have been nice but then I guess the developers would say these were genetically modified to run on all 4 most all the time by the mad scientists.

I will say I like AvP2010 better than AvP1 but AvP2 still holds my heart as more fun. Both AvP1 & AvP2 are definitely more scary imo despite the dated graphics.

If we could have mixed the dynamic spawning of #1, the story, scary and fun of #2 with the really nice animations and graphics of 3 we would have had a epic game. Instead we have a average casual game for todays market instead of something that would have tore us a new one.

yes its true a aliens on avp3 have the realistic movements of the aliens movie.

i think he has perfect It is also regrettable that the alien does not jump very far but it is very realistic.

mod single player is good but alas too short and it is a multiplayer mod dismal horror not offering the same gameplay single player mode for aliens.

it would suffice to maps with larger with vents and can play the alien face hugger cycle to make the multiplayer marine very scary ^ ^.

that their would be very easy to implement and would offer multiplayer party game closer to the single player mod and would offer the stick worthy of the name.

Sifer2
04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I think part of the reason AvP1 an AvP2 are scarier is because they stick to the dark industrial environment. I mean lets face it that it where the Aliens were meant to exist. Their almost mechanical looking bodies fit right in with it. It's why all the good Alien movies took place in industrial places.

I actually thought AvP3 was doing very well for the first two Marine levels. I mean it felt a little cheesier than AvP2 with stuff like the holostripper an the Gears of War looking armor. But it was right up there in terms of fear. Then you get out into a Jungle an Temples an crap an the game just sucks hard.

I mean maybe they could have pulled the Jungle off if they had made it darker an more wicked looking like in the concept art. But as it is the Marine campaign just takes a nose dive from the third level onwards. It also becomes a lot easier to see the flaws in Alien AI when their out in the open too instead of spawning out of a vent suddenly.

MADDOGGE
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I think part of the reason AvP1 an AvP2 are scarier is because they stick to the dark industrial environment. I mean lets face it that it where the Aliens were meant to exist. Their almost mechanical looking bodies fit right in with it. It's why all the good Alien movies took place in industrial places.

I actually thought AvP3 was doing very well for the first two Marine levels. I mean it felt a little cheesier than AvP2 with stuff like the holostripper an the Gears of War looking armor. But it was right up there in terms of fear. Then you get out into a Jungle an Temples an crap an the game just sucks hard.

I mean maybe they could have pulled the Jungle off if they had made it darker an more wicked looking like in the concept art. But as it is the Marine campaign just takes a nose dive from the third level onwards. It also becomes a lot easier to see the flaws in Alien AI when their out in the open too instead of spawning out of a vent suddenly.I agree you are boxed in in an interior environment which leaves you with no place to go so it's scarier, whereas in the outdoors it's snipe and run, snipe and run, jump to the next tree, melee, jump, melee, shoot. It's not really scary but a skill thing. How fast and accurate a shot you are. I still like the SP game a lot but it could have been so much more than it is.