PDA

View Full Version : Novint Falcon

Trikstain
02-26-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm just wondering, did anyone get Novint Falcon to work with BC2? I'm seriously considering buying it if it works with BC2.

EDIT: For those who wonder what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novint_falcon

MutantMonkey
02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Havne't heard one way or another, though I did try using one a CES a couple years ago and it was pretty underwhelming. The mouse is still the most precise thing out there for aiming.

aaryn101
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
The falcon, just like a mouse, takes time to get used to... There are many members of the falcon community who swear that they are better with a falcon then they ever could be with a mouse. After observing them play, I am inclined to agree.

I own a falcon, and while I don't use it much I have used it enough to tell that I could get really good with it after spending a fair amount of time using it.

To answer the OP's question though, I haven't tried to get it to work with BC 2. Novint has worked with DICE and the battlefield games before, so there is a good chance that support for it will come eventually. If they don't get proper support, then you can always use the F-Gen software which allows you to use a falcon with just about any game (although with limited haptic feedback support).

Trikstain
02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
The falcon, just like a mouse, takes time to get used to... There are many members of the falcon community who swear that they are better with a falcon then they ever could be with a mouse. After observing them play, I am inclined to agree.

I own a falcon, and while I don't use it much I have used it enough to tell that I could get really good with it after spending a fair amount of time using it.

To answer the OP's question though, I haven't tried to get it to work with BC 2. Novint has worked with DICE and the battlefield games before, so there is a good chance that support for it will come eventually. If they don't get proper support, then you can always use the F-Gen software which allows you to use a falcon with just about any game (although with limited haptic feedback support).
Thank you.

lilspooky
02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I think the Novint Falcon is great piece of hardware. I just wish it wasn't dependent on drivers for game to game bases. That's what kills it for me. They havent even released battlefield 2142 drivers yet, how old is that game now? Not to mention EA talked about selling the drivers for Novint Falcon. A small target audience has this piece of hardware so EA decides to charge up to $30 for a driver! you can buy BF2 cheaper then the driver, that's a problem! I dont know if they still sell drivers, this was true a year ago when i followed the Falcon.
Still if it wasn't for the driver support and was plug and play, i would say buy this!

lGothMogl
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think there's any support for bad company 2 yet, but I'm sure it will come eventually.

It might feel a bit awkward at first but once you put some time into using it the peripheral can definitely be as effective as a mouse. I have a friend who is as good if not better than any tf 2 player I have seen, and he uses the falcon. I think most people have to realize that they've put thousands of hours into a mouse, so it's wont feel natural right away.

And for games like tf 2 or l4d the detail put into the haptic feedback is just amazing, there's nothing cooler than rockin' a minigun with the falcon. It's not just recoil while shooting, you feel the reloads and other animations too.

jamesleeminton
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Not worth it. Bulky and very unresponsive. Ran mine over with my truck when I couldnt take it back. Company wouldnt talk to me about tech issues either. POS!

Diegog5
12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=jamesleeminton;13700844]Not worth it. Bulky and very unresponsive. Ran mine over with my truck when I couldnt take it back. Company wouldnt talk to me about tech issues either. POS![/QUOTE

Jamesleeminton was trolling and has been banned. Ignore his post, the falcon is an amazing devise and it works on every game.