PDA

View Full Version : GTA-SA Windows 7 Problems

Niyx
02-27-2010, 04:29 AM
The Issue:
Trying to run GTA-San Andreas under Windows 7 64x when the game suddenly freezes and get a "XYZ has stopped working" notification.
( http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7066/gtasaproblem.png )

Where it happens:
After the first set piece of biking to Grove Street and picking up the first mission, I am greeted by a few FMVs which end with the drive-by at the Temple. At this point I assume another FMV plays (It shows the Rockstar introduction text) and then just gives up on life and dies.

What I have attempted:
Well, nothing yet. I suppose the best form of support is form the community, as I (hope!) aren;t the only one to have suffered this issue.

Anything Else:
System Specs would probably be useful in some respect:

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2399 Mhz
4 logical processors
4 physical processors

Windows Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
Driver Date: 19 Jan 2010
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x611
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1440 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 2880 x 900
Primary Display Size: 20.00" x 12.52" (23.58" diag)
50.8cm x 31.8cm
Memory:
RAM: 4095 Mb

The game is run pretty much at full settings in 1440x900 resolution.

Anything else:
Nothing much, any support would be greatly appreciated and sorry If I have missed finding a solution on the previous pages (The stickies seem very GTA4 orientated)

Littleman_64
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Not sure if you found a work around yet but what I did was go into the folders where the game is kept. Play the fame by clicking on "testapp". Complete whatever missions until you can save. You may then boot up through steam like normal and play the game.

y0han
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
I was having a similar problem, and randomly the mission worked and I got to save. However, a few missions later (Where you go to Cluckin Bell with Smoke, Sweet & Ryder at the Drive-through), at the part where you chase the Ballas car, once my homies shoot the car and it explodes.. the game crashes :(

This mission: (my own screenshot a few seconds before the crash.)
http://www.cubeupload.com/img/a5ca00gtamission.png

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.10GHz
4 GB DDR2 1066MHz
HD Radeon 4890 1GB XXX Edition.
Windows 7 x64 Professional.

Any help is appreciated.

spyrochaete
04-30-2010, 08:13 AM
OP, I see you haven't updated your drivers since January. It would be a good idea to first make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date before trying again.

Alternatively, you could try hitting the spacebar to skip that opening cinematic (it's not FMV - there's a difference). Does the game still crash?

T@F
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Just a side note,have you guys re-started steam to get the update for it.
I had the same prob,then i quit steam re-run it and the update kicked in.
Now it don't crash at all.

y0han
05-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I sorted it by navigating to the folder

(C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto san andreas)

Right clicking the exe gta-sa.exe and choosing Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Can't believe I didn't think of it before. Cheers. :)

Kurek
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm having exactly the same problems, after the Drive-by where they blow up Big Smokes car the game just crashes to desktop. When I try running in Win XP comparability mode it doesn't work at all, kept on coming up with UAC messages about the program trying to make changes to my system and then a not responding window. I tried running it in admin mode as well but no luck.

On Win7 64bit with an ATI 4500 Radeon.

Shadowfied
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
To Kurek: Disable UAC.