PDA

View Full Version : Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars Won't Start

Cufflink
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Like the recent others, I have purchased this game due to the special this weekend.

It finished installing but when I start it, I get an error message saying: "Spellforce2.exe has stopped working". I have tried this on my laptop and my desktop and I get the same error message. No other details were given to me.

Here is my system information via "Steam/Help/System Information" of my desktop (since this one is more powerfull than my laptop):

Windows Vista (64-bit)

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
Driver Version: 7.15.11.6395
DirectX Driver Version: 7.15.11.6395
Driver Date: 12 Dec 2007
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1440 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 1440 x 900
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 128 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x

Memory:
RAM: 3964 Mb

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2400 Mhz

Cufflink
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Is anyone else gettin this problem? According to the game page, it looks like I meet all the requiremements

silverthornne
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Same problem, similar specs. It used to run fine for me before though. It was just after I had to uninstall it once, then reinstalled it that it refused to run since then.

Cufflink
02-27-2010, 04:00 PM
TO EVERYONE: I am still havin this problem.

Has any other spellforce 2 games worked for you?

Ansive
02-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Go to C:\Users\*your user*\Documents\SpellForce2\
and delete all but the save folder

The will probably not work, but try them anyway.
Set the resolution to 1024x768 before running the game.
Change the refresh rate to 60Hz instead of 59.
Disable UAC.

That video driver is quite old, see if you can find a newer one...

Cufflink
02-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey, thanks for the feedback! A few concerns though:

What is UAC?

how do i change the refresh rate?

And there is no "spellforce 2" folder in my documents folder. All of the spellforce 2 files that I could find are in my "steamapps" folder. These files look like the actual game files and I don't think that's what you want me to delete.

Ansive
02-28-2010, 01:33 PM
User Account Control, you can temporarily disable it in Control Panel under User Accounts

Using your video drivers, you can usually change the refresh rate in the same place you change the resolution

You probably don't have the folder because the game was never able to run. (saves and settings go there)

Get newer video drivers.

Cufflink
02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Its still not working. Thanks for trying, its a lot better than not at all.

Anymore suggestions people?

Wuzzzy
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
It works fine for me. Have you tried verify the game cache files in Steam?

Cufflink
03-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Ill try that, not gettin home to my desktop til the next 10-12 hrs. I will definitely keep you updated, thanks.

I'm still taking advice from everyone.

Wuzzzy
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
And there is no "spellforce 2" folder in my documents folder. All of the spellforce 2 files that I could find are in my "steamapps" folder. These files look like the actual game files and I don't think that's what you want me to delete.

That must be a problem right there. I think when you first run the game it creates that folder and that is where the config is stored as well as save games, error logs and stuff. Maybe the spellforce2 app does not have the ability/permission to write to you mydocuments folder somehow?

Solarge
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
ALSO experiencing a problem with the shadow wars expansion. downloaded the gold edition installed it and play campaign quickly saved a game. installed shadow wars loaded up but campaign wont load up for this crashes everytime. comes up with critical error which says :.\ResMain.cpp
[401]
;error;Assertment failed!

when i click retry it then says an access violation occured and the game must quit.

I tried the skirmish quick and that worked. any help thanks appreciated.

Wuzzzy
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
solarge, you installed Shadow Wars on top of Spellforce2 Gold edition? If so, why? because I think Gold includes both expansions, you just play the one game.

Solarge
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I know what has happened and this has happened for quite a few people. The gold edition includes the expansion but when you purchase the gold edition theres only a small section that actually mentions shadow wars is included and steam says this is a single player game only even with the expansion. When you purchased the spellforce 2 shadow wars on its own it seems a bit misleading as an expansion when its the base game right? steam shows this as multiplayer and co op , and this could be why people are purchasing both and installing both like I have. Maybe I could have looked a it more careful and researched it but in restrospect it was on offer and that was how it seemed like it was prsented to me anyway. that you need shadow wars on top of the gold edition to play multi or co op.

Wuzzzy
03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I see. I totally understand as I wondered myself before purchasing. I think they should have made a bundle deal including both Gold and Platinumn titles (so you could buy one pack containing all of Spellforce1 + 2 i.e the entire franchise) and then they should have made it clearer that Gold includes both the Spellforce2 Expansions as does Platinum includes both spellforce1 expansions.

Cufflink
03-02-2010, 04:03 AM
So you guys are saying you need to install Shadow Wars and the Gold Edition? If that is the case, what exactly was your problem Solarge? And is your game working now?

Btw, verifying the cache files didn't work. And I have also tried running it in different compatibilities and it stil hasn't worked. I am running on administrator account so it should have the necessary permision. The only thing I can do, relative to what you are talking about, is right click on the exe file and click "Run as Administrator" lol.

If you know anything about the eprmissions, I would really appreciate it.

TO EVERYONE: Still need help

Cufflink
03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Hey, when I tried to start Shadow Wars (without gold Edition), it said I was missing this dll, "d3dx9_25.dll". Is this the dll your are referring to? Will it solve my problem with or without Gold Edition?

Ansive
03-02-2010, 05:49 AM
That dll is a directx 9 file. You need to install directx
Use this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

But, I don't understand what you're doing there.

Spellforce 2 Gold INCLUDES Shadow Wars and the expansion Dragon Storm, it's a bundle.

If you bought both Gold and Shadow Wars you did a mistake. (boo steam for allowing that on the same account)
If you have installed both of them, uninstall them!

And then only re-install Gold.

Cufflink
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Wow that makes a whole lot of sense. I will definitely try this and let you know how this works out by tonight.

Cufflink
03-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Good news guys, IT WORKED!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!! Had to try this thing out before I left the house and it worked.

I put in the cd key and everything so now as soon as I get home Im puttin this game to work.

Last question: What is your experience with refunds cuz I bought the dragon storm, shadow wars and platinum edition. If Gold edition gave me all that stuff, why do I need these?

I understand what you are saying Ansive but I've been using steam for well voer a decade and Im not ready to believe they would scam me people like this lol.

Ansive
03-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Of course they didn't allow this on purpose. They probably didn't expect people to buy Gold, the game and its expansion as well. It should be fixed though.

Send a ticket and see if they will give you a 10 euro/dollar refund for Shadow Wars and Dragon Storm (the platinum edition is Spellforce 1, you can keep that).

If no refund is possible maybe they will allow you to gift Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars and Dragon Storm. Or offer a discount for another game...

Then again... maybe they won't give you any refund... as you now own 2 cd keys for SpellForce 2.

Cufflink
03-03-2010, 07:11 AM
♥♥♥♥, I forgot about cd keys. I haven't looked at the cd keys for shadow wars and dragon storm so maybe they have some sort of software that detects that.......man I dunno I just want my money!!!!!!!!

Solarge
03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
this was what i meant about the gold cufflinks it includes shadow wars. ive sent a ticket couple days ago asking for a refund due to multiplayer not working and they way they have sold these wasn't very clear.

Mad-One
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I understand what you are saying Ansive but I've been using steam for well voer a decade and Im not ready to believe they would scam me people like this lol.

either your not very bright or just not very observant .. steam sells a LOT of games at the request of the game manufacturers that WILL NOT work on anything later then a win98 system. Technically this is a scam but since steam is only an OUTLET they cannot be held legally responsible at this time in most places.