PDA

View Full Version : How to fix CoP "X-Ray 1.6 engine stopped working" crash

noctroglyph
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
If anyone else was having issues with even getting into the game, it looks like it is due to the fact that STALKER: CoP is not compatible with the Steam in-game overlay yet.

To get yourself into the game, in Steam, go to File->Settings, then click the [in-game] tab.

Uncheck the "[ ]Enable Steam Community in-game" box.

STALKER:CoP should now run.

Note: this only fixes the problem where you can't even see the loading splash screen, not the in-game issues others are posting.

$0.02: This is kind of a HUGE oversight here...you'd think someone would have checked that Steam Community worked before putting CoP up on Steam. :/

~noc~

ravage386
02-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Has anyone given the beta overlay a test? I think I'll try that out now even though i haven't been having any issues with CoP.

Sgt.Gotee
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks, marked one.

And yes, I've tried both the old and new Steam UI and was causing a crash on startup. I'm using a retail copy of Call of Pripyat, only added through non-Steam game.

noctroglyph
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Has this issue been patched out of CoP yet?

Thx.

~noc~

velvetmeds
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
considering this problem has been with stalker games since SoC, i doubt that'll ever be fixed.

Xaechireon
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Was it? I recall being able to bring up the overlay before. Then some patch broke it.

TcheQ
03-18-2010, 06:06 AM
I get this issue in CoP if I alt-Tab on the Main Screen. No big deal since CoP takes seconds to load.

Kalabalana
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
My game will not load. Have this issue.

Bad_Motha
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Have you read through these forums at all?
There are plenty of useful work arounds/fixes. Sometimes it's something simple and often related to issues with Steam client.

First things to try are...

- Run Steam as admin.

- Make sure that Steam downloads patch update if you're using SoC or CS games.
You may need to restart Steam for this to occur.

- Try disabling "Steam Community Ingame" option for any STALKER series games.
Then try launching the game.

- Try verify game cache. This should only need to be done if the game worked fine at one time and now suddenly does not load, or it crashes when starting new game or loading a saved game.

- Try looking at the first sticky thread on this forum.

Kalabalana
01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you read through these forums at all?
There are plenty of useful work arounds/fixes. Sometimes it's something simple and often related to issues with Steam client.

First things to try are...

- Run Steam as admin.

- Make sure that Steam downloads patch update if you're using SoC or CS games.
You may need to restart Steam for this to occur.

- Try disabling "Steam Community Ingame" option for any STALKER series games.
Then try launching the game.

- Try verify game cache. This should only need to be done if the game worked fine at one time and now suddenly does not load, or it crashes when starting new game or loading a saved game.

- Try looking at the first sticky thread on this forum.
Will try the steam community ingame thing, that's a new one for me.
Also, me responding to this thread should be some inclination to the fact that I've clearly been searching the forums.

EDIT: Can't find this Steam community option, is this an ingame option? If so, I cannot disable it, as it is ingame.

Robrecht
01-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Right click on the game's name/icon in the library, select 'properties'.

It should be in the General tab. It's a tickbox above the 'Set Launch Options...' button.

Haukifile
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Has anyone solved the issue where CoP doesn't start under Windows 7 64-bit?

I haven't gotten the game to start a single time with my desktop, and I've basically tried every suggestion I could find on the internet, disabling Steam community, reinstalling, verifying cache, shutting down most background programs, updating drivers, offline mode, running all CoP .exes as admin etc. Every time I try to start the game, it hangs in the splash screen and if I click on it, I get the "X-Ray Engine 1.6 has stopped responding"-message.

Any ideas on what I could do?

I'm running the game on:
Intel Q6600
Nvidia GTS250
4 GB RAM
Win7 64-bit

Bad_Motha
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Every time I try to start the game, it hangs in the splash screen and if I click on it, I get the "X-Ray Engine 1.6 has stopped responding"

That happens alot when running it the first time, simply close the game exe (xrEngine.exe) from Task Manager, then relaunch the game. They all run fine under pretty much any OS I've tried. Most here don't have such issues. What seems to be something I find interesting is a majority of people having issues have an Intel-based system. While that probably doesn't mean anything. I never have had an issue running them. Only issue I had was having a problem with SoC or CS running under Vista or Win7 for the first launch, but making sure the latest patch version was installed before launching the games, did the trick for me each time. I noticed that sometimes the Steam versions install with a USER.LTX already present. You most likely will need to delete this file to get the games to launch ok the first time. Also check FSGAME.LTX (in root game folder) and make sure the folder it points to is correct for your OS.

Haukifile
01-04-2011, 03:13 PM
That happens alot when running it the first time, simply close the game exe (xrEngine.exe) from Task Manager, then relaunch the game.

Yep, I've tried that tens of times, and haven't gotten beyond the splash screen a single time. Installed it on my Win7 32-bit running laptop, and it's up and running on the first try.

It seems that the executable hasn't even created any logfile when it crashes, or at least I have yet to find one anywhere on the system.

The only you mentioned I haven't tried is editing fsgame.ltx, but I really have no idea what I could change there.

It seems that everytime I start the game xrengine runs, takes up a bit over 32 megs of memory and hangs there.

Bad_Motha
01-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Then it's possible the install on your Win7 64bit machine is corrupted.

Haukifile
01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Then it's possible the install on your Win7 64bit machine is corrupted.

Or maybe it's just crappy coding. Who knows.

Bad_Motha
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
It works perfectly fine for those who meet the hardware requirements so let's not go there.
But again there is not a "universal fix" for those who meet the requirements, yet have issues running them.

Haukifile
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
It works perfectly fine for those who meet the hardware requirements so let's not go there.
But again there is not a "universal fix" for those who meet the requirements, yet have issues running them.

I'm missing the point where I my comp does not meet hw requirements. And given the games history of hanging for numerous reasons(according to teh internets), I have all the reason to believe that my otherwise fully working and capable rig is not the culprit here. Obviously there is the possibility that it's just this exact hardware combination that's not working, but then again, isn't that a problem with the code, when the system works fine with any other game I've played?

But I don't mean to start anything here, and it's not that big of a deal for me. I can play other games, or play the game on my laptop, it's just quite annoying.

PenGun
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
They run fine on my win 7 64 Pro bit. Just fine.

Under 10 sec load. Smooth and just great. I can get a hiccup or so in COP but rare.

i5 3.4 GHz 4 Gig RAM GTX 460. All EVGA, well except for the RAM.

Morose_UK
01-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi folks,

I've been getting this error too. Was fine after first install. THen second time I tried to play it took a lot of attempts before eventually it just worked. Tried again today and can't get it running at all, even if I run as admin and all the other sggestions given so far.

My log file dump has this in it... any thoughts

--------------------------
* Detected CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz [GenuineIntel], F6/M10/S4, 2698.00 mhz, 44-clk 'rdtsc'
* CPU features: RDTSC, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, MONITOR/MWAIT, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2
* CPU threads: 8

Initializing File System...
using fs-ltx fsgame.ltx
FS: 39896 files cached 29 archives, 7563Kb memory used.
Init FileSystem 1.699624 sec
'xrCore' build 3967, Dec 14 2009

EH: C3F91E466048C9CFDE405970F8B6A87B

-----loading e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\gamedata\configs\system.ltx
-----loading e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\gamedata\configs\system.ltx
Initializing Engine...
Starting INPUT device...
Loading DLL: xrRender_R2.dll
Loading DLL: xrRender_R3.dll
refCount:m_pAdapter 1
Loading DLL: xrRender_R4.dll
* D3D11: device creation failed with hr=0x887a0004
command line
Executing config-script "user.ltx"...
[e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\_appdata_\user.ltx] successfully loaded.
Loading DLL: xrGame.dll
* [win32]: free[1936796 K], reserved[45352 K], committed[114940 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[0 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[13485 K], process heap[6221 K], game lua[0 K], render[0 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[8027 K], smem[0 K]
SOUND: OpenAL: enumerate devices...
SOUND: OpenAL: EnumerationExtension Present
dir[0]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\bin\
dir[1]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\
dir[2]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\bin\
dir[3]=C:\Windows\system32\
CleanDeviceSpecifierList
CleanDeviceSpecifierList Generic Hardware
stack trace:

001B:77B075FF ntdll.dll
001B:77B0730A ntdll.dll
001B:77B07545 ntdll.dll
001B:77779A26 kernel32.dll
001B:71D14C39 MSVCR80.dll, free()
001B:001F3974 OpenAL32.dll, alSourceUnqueueBuffers()
001B:0048CCFC xrEngine.exe
001B:00474553 xrEngine.exe, CStatGraph::`vftable'()

[error][ 18] : There are no more files

Le Pie
01-09-2011, 05:46 AM
i get this crash too although i dont appear to get an error log,and ive tried all the previous suggetions

ewan_kerr
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
i get this 2, contacted steam about it and they said contact the maker so i did ( waiting for them to get back to me )

i have shadow of Chernobyl on dvd and when it loads it says unsupported operating system so i,m guessing that these guys dont build games that support 64 bit operating systems ( even though i have xp mode installed )

i was looking forward to playing CoP as well :(

edit : tried everything in this thread to no avail

Le Pie
01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
so this game doesnt run on 64 bit OS's,then i demand a refund for a defective product,i cant and will never be able to play this game so i want a refund.

Kougeru
01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
so this game doesnt run on 64 bit OS's,then i demand a refund for a defective product,i cant and will never be able to play this game so i want a refund.
except that it does run on 64 bit....i played it for a good hour, got hungry and then it hasnt worked since then. but it did run perfectly for that first hour so it SHOULD work.

ewan_kerr
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
the game works now after i contacted them @ http://cop.stalker-game.com/

all i had to do was uninstall a sound driver after giving them some data that was requested in an email from them

the game does run on windows 7 64 bit

Kougeru
01-11-2011, 08:25 AM
the game works now after i contacted them @ http://cop.stalker-game.com/

all i had to do was uninstall a sound driver after giving them some data that was requested in an email from them

the game does run on windows 7 64 bit

ill try contacting them, no other fix on this thread has worked

P.M.
01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
If you're on Windows 7, disable the UAC then verify the game cache.

Bad_Motha
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi folks,

I've been getting this error too. Was fine after first install. THen second time I tried to play it took a lot of attempts before eventually it just worked. Tried again today and can't get it running at all, even if I run as admin and all the other sggestions given so far.

My log file dump has this in it... any thoughts

--------------------------
* Detected CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz [GenuineIntel], F6/M10/S4, 2698.00 mhz, 44-clk 'rdtsc'
* CPU features: RDTSC, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, MONITOR/MWAIT, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2
* CPU threads: 8

Initializing File System...
using fs-ltx fsgame.ltx
FS: 39896 files cached 29 archives, 7563Kb memory used.
Init FileSystem 1.699624 sec
'xrCore' build 3967, Dec 14 2009

EH: C3F91E466048C9CFDE405970F8B6A87B

Initializing Engine...
Starting INPUT device...
Loading DLL: xrRender_R3.dll
refCount:m_pAdapter 1
Loading DLL: xrRender_R4.dll
* D3D11: device creation failed with hr=0x887a0004
command line
Executing config-script "user.ltx"...
[e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\_appdata_\user.ltx] successfully loaded.
* [win32]: free[1936796 K], reserved[45352 K], committed[114940 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[0 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[13485 K], process heap[6221 K], game lua[0 K], render[0 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[8027 K], smem[0 K]
SOUND: OpenAL: enumerate devices...
SOUND: OpenAL: EnumerationExtension Present
dir[0]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\bin\
dir[1]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\
dir[2]=e:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\bin\
dir[3]=C:\Windows\system32\
CleanDeviceSpecifierList
CleanDeviceSpecifierList Generic Hardware
stack trace:

001B:77B075FF ntdll.dll
001B:77B0730A ntdll.dll
001B:77B07545 ntdll.dll
001B:77779A26 kernel32.dll
001B:71D14C39 MSVCR80.dll, free()
001B:001F3974 OpenAL32.dll, alSourceUnqueueBuffers()
001B:0048CCFC xrEngine.exe
001B:00474553 xrEngine.exe, CStatGraph::`vftable'()

[error][ 18] : There are no more files

This seems to indicate a crash right after detecting your sound card. For this particular crash, you can see the person has the sound set to Generic Hardware. I would edit your USER.LTX, look for Generic Hardware and then change it to Generic Software (which is the default setting). Some systems (even with good sound cards) may experience issues when the game is set to use Generic Hardware for sound.

On a side note, if your game is calling upon this location for your game USER.LTX;
x:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\_appdata_\user.ltx
This should be changed and not used.
You can change where the game saves it's files via this line in FSGAME.LTX
Which is located in the game's root folder,
x:\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat

For Win2k/XP users the app_data folder should point here;
$app_data_root$ = true | false| C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-COP\

For Vista/Win7 users the app_data folder should point here;
$app_data_root$ = true | false| C:\Users\Public\Documents\STALKER-COP\

This line specifies where the particular game puts it's user files, such as USER.LTX (the game config), Saved Games, Crash Logs, Screenshots, and other files related to the user.

Kougeru
01-12-2011, 09:37 AM
"Starting INPUT device...
! Unable to find InstallUserName entry in registry"

could this my issue?

Bad_Motha
01-13-2011, 02:36 AM
No that is normal and has no effect on the game.
The UserName entry is only for multiplayer.

Kougeru
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
anyone have any other fixes for this? I contacted them and everything they told me wouldn't work but it was all pretty standard stuff anyway...like a robot was answering.

Spykez
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
THANK YOU! Been racking my head around trying to figure this out, even reinstalled windows. This has been the only mention of it causing the game to crash.

KarlMonster
05-24-2011, 08:48 PM
For those having intermittent problems, where it doesn't always crash in the same place, but certain transitions (loading areas) will always crash. One *possibility* is physical memory. Here (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l273/karlmonster/ResMon4.jpg) is my system running the CoP Complete Pack modification. The main apps I have running are Firefox and Yahoo! IM client, and everything combined is eating 3.5 Gb RAM. I was surprised. What I'm getting at is the Xray engine is hungry, and if your system is 4Gb or less you may occasionally get 'out of memory' errors. Solution? Try using rolling saves (like the CoP autosaves) instead of relying on the quicksave - so you have multiple saves to fall back on, and try turning down the rendering.

Game won't launch. If you choose high quality graphical options, and then later your system doesn't like rendering CoP with those options - for whatever reason that happens - CoP will not launch. My video card started dying a heat death, and suddenly neither Clear Sky or CoP would launch. The simple fix is to delete the user.ltx file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat

The hard way is to edit the file to reduce the graphics settings, and theres lots of bits in there that I don't understand. The Xray engine will re-create the file when you try to launch the game. Try to keep track of the last settings that worked well. (It may still crash occasionally, but that happens)

iDre
06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
THANK YOU! Been racking my head around trying to figure this out, even reinstalled windows. This has been the only mention of it causing the game to crash.

Umm... which part fixed it for you? That would be helpful...