PDA

View Full Version : Steam Achievements are getting lamer these days..

dree74
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
When GFWL has whole bunch of "Finish Quest" achievements, I understood them because M$ is lame as their reputation tells.

recently I came across a Napoleon Total War Steam Achievement and saw this

Revolutionary Cocarde
Start any campaign, battle or historical battle

I mean, seriously..you get an achievement for starting a campagin in strategy game??

I wouldn't be surprised if I see a game that gives achievement for acutally installing the game.

ZeroDarkHundred
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
achievements are lame period

dree74
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
well, not all of them, some achievements do encourage gamers to provide a "sense of achievement".

MAN VS TANK (Left 4 Dead)
Single-handedly kill a Tank

Aperture Science (Portal)
Earn gold medals on all Portal challenges

Payback (Half Life 2)
Kill a Hunter with its own flechettes

mostly valve achievements are fair. like above: fun, unique, and challenging.

Toto pectore
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
For some people that's first and last achievement they acquire.

Achievements are useless unless you get something for them - until then it's just another picture in the list.

blix2006
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
some of the achievements in torchlight are "real" achievements as well.like retiring 300 levels worth of heroes..thats no easy feat lol

Cedge
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
You know that Microsoft and Valve are not responsible for achievements, right? When you say "I understood them because M$ is lame as their reputation tells," it sounds like you're under the impression that Microsoft sets the achievements for all GFWL games themselves.

This is not the case. At all.

dree74
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
You know that Microsoft and Valve are not responsible for achievements, right? When you say "I understood them because M$ is lame as their reputation tells," it sounds like you're under the impression that Microsoft sets the achievements for all GFWL games themselves.

This is not the case. At all.

I understand that MS acutally got nothing to with it, but how come ALL GFWL acheivements involve "Finish Quest or Mission" as achievements?

Wolfpig
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I understand that MS acutally got nothing to with it, but how come ALL GFWL acheivements involve "Finish Quest or Mission" as achievements?

Because the developers are forced to include achievements for the X-360 Versions of the game. And such acievements are the easiest ones which they could think of...

mrmango786
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
This is old news.

ZeroDarkHundred
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Microsoft pioneered worthless achievements to stroke off consumers that spent money. There is no difference between console achievements and PC achievements in their difficulty. Real achievements are used to introduce new in-game content not to inflate some ridiculous absurd worthless nerd point score.

StingingVelvet
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
achievements are lame period

Yup.

In-game rewards for doing something awesome is cool, but e-peen silliness is, well, silly.

mouton
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Achievements are only cool if they are
a)Funny
b)Useful

And that is why the TF2 ones are cool.

kalirion
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Only achievements you'll ever need (http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/achievement-unlocked)

psychodude
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Steam should give value to achievements by introducing an achievement score something along the lines of:

Achievement value = 10 - ((percentage of users * 2)/10)

So for example achievement A is gained by 50% of all users, it'll be 10 - ((50*2)/10) = 0
Achievement B is gained by 20%, it'll be worth 10 - ((20*2)/10) = 6 points
Achievement C is gained by 1%, it'll be worth 10 - ((1*2)/10) = 9.8 points

It'll create a sense of value to these achievements, and perhaps stimulate developers not to introduce achievements which over 50% of all players will get by doing pretty much nothing more than starting up the game.

tacc
03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Revolutionary Cocarde
Start any campaign, battle or historical battle

I mean, seriously..you get an achievement for starting a campagin in strategy game??

Don't you think they included achievement like this to see if people actually use a certain feature or play past a certain point?
If you check some global achievement stats you see that sometimes 30 to 40% don't even play a game they bought longer than a few minutes.

chopstix
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Uh, a lot of games do this really, and it is just to satisfy those that think it actually means something. I know a variety of people that will not even play a game unless achievements are available.

Personally, I detest them. If developers want to add replay value, work on making a good game with enough content to keep me coming back. A pointless little picture and title mean nothing.

Amander
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I think, some people miss the fact that achievements are for fun. Not (only) for showing off like "Woah dude, I have the complete game on very damned hard difficulty achievement". Just for fun. Got it?

Skaery
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Eternity's Child - Purchased Game (achieved by 86,6% of the owners).

Freyar
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Eternity's Child - Purchased Game (achieved by 86,6% of the owners).

... Wow.. that must be why a good percentage of games have gotten bad lately. Only 86% managed to get that far.. :(

OGLoc
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Steam should give value to achievements by introducing an achievement score something along the lines of:

Achievement value = 10 - ((percentage of users * 2)/10)

So for example achievement A is gained by 50% of all users, it'll be 10 - ((50*2)/10) = 0
Achievement B is gained by 20%, it'll be worth 10 - ((20*2)/10) = 6 points
Achievement C is gained by 1%, it'll be worth 10 - ((1*2)/10) = 9.8 points

It'll create a sense of value to these achievements, and perhaps stimulate developers not to introduce achievements which over 50% of all players will get by doing pretty much nothing more than starting up the game.

take a few mins to think about why that makes no sense at all.

{Yotsuba}
03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
... Wow.. that must be why a good percentage of games have gotten bad lately. Only 86% managed to get that far..

Like most of that game, the achievements are broken. Which is why companies tend to put in achievements like that in the first case. To check that they actually work. And with the SteamWorks achievements, they tend to not work for a fair number of people.

knightoflite
03-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Only achievements you'll ever need (http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/achievement-unlocked)

wow...that was surprisingly sastisfying :D. ty :D

lindley08
03-02-2010, 12:00 AM
achivements are only useful on the consoles really, due to the gamerscore etc.

As for the PC you need to load your browser up, find the right steam page, find the right game page for the achievements just to view a couple of pictures and some text.

As for the Xbox 360, you get gamerscore for it, which everyone can view, you can compare your achievements & gamerscore against other people not only that, due to the gamerscore, you are a lot more willing to do achievements, For instance, on Call of duty 5 World at War, on the sniper mission at the end of the mission where you must assassinate the general, there is an achievement for killing him with a pistol, this is amazingly hard, as its pretty hard to kill him with a sniper at that range, never mind a pistol, i wouldnt even think of doing this on pc, but i would try over and over again to do it on the console just for a few extra points.

To conclude; no one cares about achievements for the pc, they were made for the 360, and unless a universal achievement system for the pc (meaning ALL PC games not just steam games) Which you are rewarded score for, achievements will never take off anywhere on the pc.

lindley08
03-02-2010, 12:06 AM

Haha, surprisingly fun

got 94% couldnt be bothered to do the hit the numbers in this order ones.

CannibalBob
03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Some of the best achievements are the ones that you do not have to do and you need to think about in order to attain.

Some of my favourites are:
Plants vs Zombies - Immortal - Get to 20 flags in Survival Endless

Audiosurf - Bizarro - Fill all columns within 15 seconds. No greys. No matches.

Hinterland's achievements:
Disrespectful - Win without fulfilling a request. (Req:Long, HC/Difficult, Raiders)

David - Defeat a monster more than 5 levels higher than Lord. (Req:Long, HC/Difficult, Raiders)

Guardian - Win without any townspeople or party members dying. (Req:Long, HC/Difficult, Raiders)

Lone Wolf - Win without ever having anyone join party. (Req:Long, HC/Difficult, Raiders)

They were quite fun to earn; I earned some of the Hinterland ones without making a town :D Maybe that was kind of cheap but it was quite fun and difficult and definitely made the game more enjoyable. Taking down a guy 5+ levels than you takes a lot of patience and it's something you normally wouldn't do (you'd level up elsewhere and then take him on).

Gorehunter
03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
It might be cool if the achievements meant a score or something,and if you get a big achievement score you'll get a prize from steam,like a free game or a reduction of price for a limited time.

Dreams.....:rolleyes:

psychodude
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
take a few mins to think about why that makes no sense at all.

What, primary school maths was too complicated for you or you just felt reason to ♥♥♥♥♥ without bothering to come with a counter argument?

OGLoc
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
What, primary school maths was too complicated for you or you just felt reason to ♥♥♥♥♥ without bothering to come with a counter argument?

consider how the points would be awarded on the first day of release, a week later and one year later.

PoSSeSSeDCoW
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM

If more than 50% of the people earn the achievement, you will actually lose points for having it, which doesn't make any sense.