PDA

View Full Version : Zero Puncuation's Yahtzee critiques Bioshock 2

Talcon
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1494-BioShock-2

Yahtzee is known for his harsh reviews of games, so don't expect him to pull any punches just because he loved Bioshock 1

BC2 Cypher
03-03-2010, 12:58 PM
lol "Grrrr your selfless compassion fills me me with merder frenzy!"

Dave3d
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
And thats about exactly what Bio2 is, word for word.

:(

BC2 Cypher
03-03-2010, 01:46 PM
And thats about exactly what Bio2 is, word for word.

:(

I don't think so.

I don't think it deminished the first ones story at all and it was fun to be back in rapture.

LIQUID`
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
while i semi-enjoyed the act of playing bioshock 2, I cannot say that this wasnt a perfect description of the game, one in which had me actually laughing from point to point

mu11etboyz
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Now I want to play as a vending machine...

strangemodule
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Although I enjoyed Bioshock 2 a lot, I found the story kind of weird, and as another reviewer put it, it would just have been a "footnote" in Rapture's history.

I find it unusual though, that he says that as a Big Daddy you can breeze right through the game, since I've heard a lot of people saying that you feel less powerful than most Big Daddies (which you are, in a way). Furthermore, Yahtzee is right about how there are just a couple of core plasmids and tonics, and using the others are just a thing of curiousity. If 2k does make a new Bioshock game, they really need to rebalance the plasmids and tonics so that you can't just use one or two the whole game.

Talcon
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I find it unusual though, that he says that as a Big Daddy you can breeze right through the game, since I've heard a lot of people saying that you feel less powerful than most Big Daddies (which you are, in a way)

It's kind of both. GameInformer magazine put it best: at the beginning, you wouldn't know you were a Big Daddy if the game didn't blatantly show you, because your armor is like cotton and you feel like the guy from Bioshock 1. But nearing the end of the game, you suddenly plow through all the splicers, Daddies, and Sisters like, well, a Big Daddy.

In the words of Yahtzee, the difficult curve is ♥♥♥♥ing wonkers.

brduran
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1494-BioShock-2

Yahtzee is known for his harsh reviews of games, so don't expect him to pull any punches just because he loved Bioshock 1

Couldn't understand his rappin', outa beat, borin'. His harshness is just a ♥♥♥♥in' cry for me me me, claiming the attention he believes he deserves, only this time he's doing it for money.

Bah, just a pubic hair on a 60 year old butt. :eek:

polka
03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Couldn't understand his rappin', outa beat, borin'. His harshness is just a ♥♥♥♥in' cry for me me me, claiming the attention he believes he deserves, only this time he's doing it for money.

i love his reviews :D

motiv-8
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
But nearing the end of the game, you suddenly plow through all the splicers, Daddies, and Sisters like, well, a Big Daddy.

But that's only logical. Nearing the end of the game, you are more adjusted to the gameplay, have a better idea of what to expect from your enemies, you are simply a better player. Combine that with all the upgrades and it shouldn't be a surprise.

And actually it fits with the development of the story quite well -- A feeling of filial loyalty instilling a building rage that leads to a rampage against all threats.

Also, I get the feeling Yahtzee didn't actually play this game all the way through, or at the least didn't bother doing enoug investigation to flesh the plot out.

Butcher Pete
03-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Poor grammar AND profoundly butthurt.
What a winning combination of a post!

d1m
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Is it logical to have liked the review but still completely disagree with it?

Yahtzee's reviews are pretty much always like this. Many games that he flamed are actually pretty good IMO. His reviews are entertaining and well known because of his criticism and concentrating on plot holes, gameplay errors and other ♥♥♥♥... not because of him praising all games and saying how much he liked playing.

P.S. I still wish some plasmids/gene tonics were more balanced though. Limiting yourself not to use over powered plasmids just to have a challenge is kinda disappointing.

xyos212
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
His reviews are entertaining, but take them with a grain of salt.

I love Bioshock 2's gameplay, weapons, and plasmids. They are much more diverse and more fun to use then in Bioshock 1. You can create so many methods to deal with enemies. Even though it may be easy, that is the fun. I enjoy efficiently taking out a mob of splicers in different fun ways.

Bioshock 1's story was better, but Bioshock 2 still did a good job in that department. It really picks up in the end.

I enjoy Bioshock 2 alot more. Yes the story isnt as strong, but the gameplay sure is :)

RapturedMind
03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm.

Now lets look at this from a neutral and fair unbiased standpoint, IE: not loving or hating BioShock2.

He did have some valid points, but it was really just his usual fair.

By which I mean, its a comedic review and should not be taken seriously. I thought it was funny as per usual, but really apart from some good jokes, the rest was only funny because of how incorrect it was.

It was obvious from the review he either didn't finish the game, or didn't pay any attention.

He had some valid points, like BioShock didn't need a sequel, how does the character eat through a helmet, etc. But really the rest was just funny due to his ignorance on the subject matter.

Seriously, everyone of his irks is explained, if he had only paid attention. I will not go through everyone, people who have played the game know already.

Now in my personal opinion, people saying "dead on!" or "yeah thought so!" or whatever, are really showing how ignorant they are, or how easy they are to manipulate.

EG: Remember how nobody complained you didn't feel like a Big Daddy till IGN did and then a thread was made with many replies? Yeah, exactly like that.

Hazz-JB
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
, how does the character eat through a helmet

I love how he takes the detail gaps in games and fills them in with the realistic outcomes, in this case: "mushing a snickers bar into your helmet."

He did it in BS1 when he joked about you ravenously eating all the dirt encrusted food you found on the ground :D

My favourite though was when he was talking about point n' click adventure games and described how they devolved into "rubbing every item together with every other item until something clicks" or something to that effect, genius.

But seriously guys, don't take it seriously. He's fully aware how self-opinionated he is, it's comedy rather than actual reviewing. He's a game-satirist, and satire pretty much means taking an issue and blowing it up to comical levels.

Tumdace
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I loved the game, worth every cent (albeit, there are some issues that make me want to think twice about buying #3 if it comes out), but this review was spot on.

I dont get why Big Sisters would come attack me when I am SAVING the little sisters. Am I not supposed to save the little sisters?

That and while the plasmids are fun to try and use different ones, with the combat being so hectic and my health going down so fast unless I am constantly moving or reacting, I dont really have the time to use all my plasmids effectively in combat and just end up using the freeze or fire one.

That and I dont think Bioshock really needed a sequel. Dont get me wrong, I loved it, and enjoyed my 30 or so hours ive spent on it (2 play throughs, single player only, mp is a piece of crap), but the story is something completely different. They should have just made it an expansion to Bioshock 1 and put a fancy name in front of it. I still would have paid full price for it, but it did not seem like a sequel to me.

arizonachris
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
I dont get why Big Sisters would come attack me when I am SAVING the little sisters. Am I not supposed to save the little sisters?

That and while the plasmids are fun to try and use different ones, with the combat being so hectic and my health going down so fast unless I am constantly moving or reacting, I dont really have the time to use all my plasmids effectively in combat and just end up using the freeze or fire one.

I thought I was the only one wondering the same thing and having the same gameplay issue. ;)

I am enjoying the game immensely, not quite finished, taking my time exploring everywhere, just like in the original.

ChaosEsper
03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
The Big Sisters attack you because you're "stealing" the Adam from The Family. By setting the Little Sisters free or by harvesting them you're preventing them from recycling Adam back into Lamb's collective.

RapturedMind
03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
The Big Sisters attack you because you're "stealing" the Adam from The Family. By setting the Little Sisters free or by harvesting them you're preventing them from recycling Adam back into Lamb's collective.

Aww, I wish you hadn't told them!

It was funny watching them miss something so blatantly obvious.

I mean, Tennenbuam explains where the new little sisters come from, and I still see people (not so much here) raging about how it makes no sense the girls are still little 10 years later.

Basically it's all there, explained in the game. Now when someone actually finds the few plot holes (and Yahtzee didn't btw so people will need to look themselves), the discussion will become more relevant and interesting.

Famas-X
03-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Remember guys..

Yahtzee is a Critic.

He lists everything bad about the game.

Now in my opinion, and I haven't finished Bioshock 2..

I got Bioshock 2, I was excited, but not sure why. I installed it, played it, thought it was Good 'Ol Bioshock...

I haven't played it since.

Seriously, why is the game SO SIMILAR? It's practically a Map Pack for christ sakes!

And I don't like the story in this one. Bioshock could've been better, but Bioshock 2 could've been a lot better.

That being said, Bioshock 2 is still a Good Game, but it had a lot of potential and could've been better.

Also Rapture, stop talking down on us just because we don't like a game you ADORE.

To say Bioshock 2 is as good as Bioshock 1 or is near to perfect is blatantly wrong.

JoeB
03-05-2010, 06:27 AM
I have to say, that wasn't the reaction I expected from Yahtzee. I had thought since he had given the first game such enormous praise, he'd do the same with the sequel.

Then again, Yahtzee notoriously HATES sequels (except for Half Life 2 perhaps).

motiv-8
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Remember how nobody complained you didn't feel like a Big Daddy till IGN did and then a thread was made with many replies? Yeah, exactly like that.
To be fair, I remember thinking exactly that when I was first playing, before ever reading any reviews. In fact the experience was the opposite of what you describe, where I thought, "Ah, so I know I'm not crazy then."

RapturedMind
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Also Rapture, stop talking down on us just because we don't like a game you ADORE.

I adore BioShock, I have said nothing about what I think of the sequel.

Regardless, just because I like, or hate, something doesn't mean I can't be fair in judging it, and it also doesn't mean my intellect drops. There are plot holes, and nobody has pointed them out yet. People are still hung up on things that are actually explained. That in my opinion, is just stupid.

In fact I agree with you, BioShock2 should have, and could have, been so much more in some regards.

motiv-8 said:
To be fair, I remember thinking exactly that when I was first playing, before ever reading any reviews. In fact the experience was the opposite of what you describe, where I thought, "Ah, so I know I'm not crazy then."

You're entitled to think that, in fact I thought the same thing. But I was referring more to the fact that not many people were complaining, especially on this forum, until the IGN article. :)

analyst88
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Remember guys..

Yahtzee is a Critic.

He used to be. Now he's just a comedian who tries to be popular among the gaming kids.

The guy's so cynical about games that I always wonder why he still plays them.

Dave3d
03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I adore BioShock, I have said nothing about what I think of the sequel.

Regardless, just because I like, or hate, something doesn't mean I can't be fair in judging it, and it also doesn't mean my intellect drops. There are plot holes, and nobody has pointed them out yet. People are still hung up on things that are actually explained. That in my opinion, is just stupid.

In fact I agree with you, BioShock2 should have, and could have, been so much more in some regards.

motiv-8 said:

You're entitled to think that, in fact I thought the same thing. But I was referring more to the fact that not many people were complaining, especially on this forum, until the IGN article. :)

Yes, because this is the difinative forum for gaming for everyone.
:rolleyes:

Nobody had any opinions on the game before Yahtzee, right?
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php/41989-Bioshock-2-impressions

RapturedMind
03-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, because this is the difinative forum for gaming for everyone.
:rolleyes:

Nobody had any opinions on the game before Yahtzee, right?
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php/41989-Bioshock-2-impressions

Your post shows a complete lack of comprehension and understanding.

Grade: F. See me after class.

I never said nobody had that, or any, opinions before Yahtzee, where the hell you got that from I have no idea. And as I have said three times now, I was talking about how not many people, including this forum where complaining, and then...

You know, actually, I just don't know where to start trying to help you. Your a lost cause, son.

What grade do they teach reading comprehension where you live? Repeat that grade, and the ones that follow it, before posting again.

saintjimmy95
03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Because of that video I am now a fan of his reviews :D they make me laugh every time

The_Thing
03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
That was a pretty funny and awesome review!

DJ Cryotek
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
That was awesome.

Froooooom
03-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Now I want to play as a vending machine...

His reviews rock, I liked this comment as well hahaha

Trodamus
03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Yahtzee can be funny, but his reviews can be so far off the mark that they really only become funny or insightful — or full of lies — after you've purchased and played the game. And then there's times he complains that the apple isn't an orange, see also his criticism for Mario Galaxy rehashing the same plot as the previous titles.

I agree that Bioshock didn't technically need a sequel, having been fairly well wrapped in the original, but this is something that I'll care more about in Bioshock 3 or 4, as we continue to explore as-yet undetailed areas of rapture, with as-yet undisclosed political adversaries to Andrew Ryan.

With no external influence, I did not really feel like I was playing a big daddy until some where between defending little sisters and getting the dash-n-smash. Before (and after) then I'd occasionally jump just to hear the crash of my overweight form landing on the ground.

In the end, Bioshock is a franchise I'll continue to play to explore the strange and alien beauty that Rapture has and will possess, and I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment.

CrazyFlyGuy
04-01-2010, 05:31 AM
I have to agree with the big sister one, but you gotta remember its mostly for comedy.

I go through annoyingly large waves of splicers, waste ~300 gold, and then get ♥♥♥♥♥ by some big sister, thank god for vita chambers.

The SUPAH Chair
04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Bioshock 2 is a sophisticated game that satirasations the very concept of-
HAR HAR! im just messing with you its a knockoff piece of ♥♥♥♥
LOL

Coraline Jones
04-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Getting mad over Zero Punctuation's "reviews" is like watching an old Cheech and Chong movie and getting shocked/surprised by the amount of drug references. Croshaw takes a reasonably popular game and then complains how bad it is. If anything, Croshaw does it to intentionally annoy the diehard fans, because the comment sections are hilariously filled with people who treat some game as their golden cow idol. Maybe that's his point: If you're treating a scathing video game review like a personal attack, then maybe he's not the problem?

I personally think of all the Zero Punctuation reviews, this review is reasonable as he brings up a number of valid points.

1) Bioshock 1 had a complete, full story, and when it ended, it wasn't obvious that the series needed a sequel. The sequel as a result feels like they just made up stuff and forced it into the game to make more money.
2) Bioshock 2 has clearly reused a large amount of content from Bioshock 1, despite that the game had years to develop something original.
3) The logic behind Delta's existence doesn't even make a lot of sense. Somehow, Big Daddies were originally fast creatures with dynamic attacks, but then the final versions were downgraded into slow machines with only two methods of attack. And how does Delta eat and drink through the helmet he wears anyway?
4) The sequences where you babysit a Little Sister while she harvests a corpse are really terrible events which are nothing more than to drain ammo, health, and Eve from your character to increase the challenge to the game. In every game that I've played, "bodyguard" quests are not well liked, but here's a game where you can do it up to 30 times in one game.
5) He says that the story is really terrible, and in all seriousness, the storyline is definitely not a prize-winning tale. It barely makes any sense.

To recount: You're some prototype cyborg under the ocean who is getting telepathic communication with a little girl that he knew 10 years ago. He has to find her because otherwise he'll die from the "pairbond" syndrome, an idea that in itself defies logic. This is like saying that if one part of a system should break, then you should make a device that blows up the remaining working parts to balance it out. In the end, it turns out that the evil genius's plan is to meld all the minds into the girl that you're trying to save. Because when the whole city is infected with CRAZY PEOPLE, the best way to handle this is to squeeze all of that into one person's brain.

Defiant Wolf
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Eh, you seemed to miss a "plot point" Caroline - they may of been crazy people, but Elenor's condition (still has the sea slug in her) supposedly prevents her from suffering from the same dementia that the splicers suffer under. However, I don't think they adaquatly explained why the other Little Sisters went feral upon Puberty but Elenor doesn't seem to suffer the same fate. Presumedly, it's because of Dr Lamb's influence in "deprograming" her Little Sister mental conditioning, but they really don't get into the details of what exactly got "deprogrammed".

Yah, the story is full of holes, but that was one point they did cover. Same with the Big Sister issue that Yatzee completely missed. Entertaining "review", nontheless.

Defiant Wolf
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
**accidental double post. Not sure how that happened. Sorries**

Wylen0
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Ehh yahtzee would complain if the game met all his expectations, Still his reviews are fun to watch he just doesent seem to enjoy anything lol

DJ Cryotek
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Bioshock 2 was a very good expansion pack, and should have been released 2 years ago for $20.

As a *sequel*, it didn't do what it needed to do: continue the story of 1, introduce new play mechanics, update the graphics, and in general improve and expand on what made the first game so great.

The graphics were good but a downgrade- blurry textures, blocky architecture- and many Bioshock 1 assets were simply re-used. The game plays *exactly the same*, and the fact that you are a big daddy is totally ignored in terms of gameplay for the most part. And while it has a good- emotionally, perhaps better- story, it does not continue the first game's storyline. In other words, it's a good DLC or expansion, adding a nice side-story to the mythos of Rapture, but hardly a proper SEQUEL in any sense whatsoever.

I partly blame the consoles for the game's weaknesses. The game was obviously designed with their limitations in mind, and doesn't take advantage of what even a mid-range gaming pc can do.

analyst88
04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
As a *sequel*, it didn't do what it needed to do: continue the story of 1, introduce new play mechanics, update the graphics, and in general improve and expand on what made the first game so great.

1) it didn't need to; the story of the first game was complete. 2K did broaden the history of Rapture and its citizens.
2) new mechanics have actually been introduced.. Gameplay of Bioshock 2 is leaps and bounds over that of bioshock 1.
3) they have been updated to an extent, but it's still the same engine, so what did you expect?
4) That's kind of exactly what they did.

My question to you is did you play the game thoroughly, or did you just rush through it with low expectations?

The more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't like bioshock 1's main story too much. It wasn't that special (one plot twist noone expected does not make a good story, and after that the game was pretty much over). What was special, however, were all the metastories of all the characters involved (mainly Andrew Ryan and his personal philosophy) and the history of Rapture. Bioshock 2 was just more of the same, and that was all I needed.

STEELCITY32
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Holy ♥♥♥♥ he's right! For the first time in gaming history, a QTE made a game better! Although the horrible Little Sister grinds balance that out perfectly.