PDA

View Full Version : BFBC2 Immediate CTD - Game Does Not Load

Go Go Yubari
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I had the exact same symptoms with the beta version, but those symptoms disappeared during the last week or so of beta testing (don't know why). Now with the retail release, the symptoms are back.

Whenever I try to start the game, from either Steam UI or directly from the BFBC2Game.exe file (with Steam unloaded), I get a momentary white screen followed by a crash to desktop. When this happens, the only records I can find are in the windows event viewer, security, failure audit, event ID 577 (three times in rapid succession):
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Privilege Use
Event ID: 577
Date: 3/3/2010
Time: 7:06:54 PM
User: ***DELETED FOR THIS POST***
Computer: ***DELETED FOR THIS POST***
Description:
Privileged Service Called:
Server: Security
Service: -
Primary User Name: ***DELETED FOR THIS POST***
Primary Domain: ***DELETED FOR THIS POST***
Primary Logon ID: (0x0,0x144F3)
Client User Name: -
Client Domain: -
Client Logon ID: -
Privileges: SeTcbPrivilege

This doesn't appear to be punkbuster related (I did some troubleshooting during Beta that didn't clear it up).
Changing the BFBC2\settings.ini for the various Dx settings, and/or changing resolution to match my native resolution does not help.
I've made sure that the "My Documents\BFBC2" and "battlefield bad company 2" directories have full permissions.
I've tried running with virus protection completely disabled.
I have all required ports (per EA forum) open on the router.

Is this being caused by SecuROM?

System:
Win XP Pro v2002, SP3
Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz)
2GB RAM
AVG Full 9.0.733
NVidia Forceware 196.75
EVGA GTS 250 1024MB

Anybody else seeing this?

Kilam
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I have a similar problem, crashes to desktop no black sceen, no error no flash no nothing

SmyDPolarBear
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
My game gives me nothing. Doesn't load at all. CURSE YOU STEAM!

Afterburn
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Im having the same problem, ill join a game for 5-10 seconds and crash straight to desktop with no errors or messages or anything, just a straight CTD. They need to fix this asap.

Go Go Yubari
03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Doesn't anybody else notice a security event 577 ?

XEshamX
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
cant say i have. I just finished playing for 30mins to make sure my game works and it does.

Although my one question is what is Win Xp v2002?

Go Go Yubari
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Win XP
version 2002

^^^ that's what's displayed on my system properties, general tab

Go Go Yubari
03-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Created a support ticket.

FavuQuad
03-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Its the graphics driver that new driver you are using can actually fry yor GPU. Nvidia sent that driver for recall!
I would remove that driver ASAP.

Go Go Yubari
03-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I appreciate the advice...was aware of the issue.

My EVGA control panel does a good job with temp's...I was just playing MW2 and the fan was controlling as expected. I may still revert back to an earlier NVIDIA driver version.

As for 196.75...I upgraded to that version when .21 wasn't working (either).

FavuQuad
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Have you tried using different dx versions? dx9 and such.

Go Go Yubari
03-06-2010, 07:41 AM
You mean specifying Dx9, 10, 11, auto in settings.ini? Yep. Tried command line options also.

jekeler69
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
ok so i know how aggrevating it can be when no one responds with a solution to these bastard problems. so i had this exact same problem. and it was totally random. yesterday my game worked. today it didnt? what changed? who knows? anyways i deleted local content from steam. removed the game. reinstalled. and it didnt work?! damn...

so next. i updated my video card driver.
didnt work. after searching through my explorer. i found a few folders for bfbc. under administrator/documents/bfbc2 with a bunch of settings files in there and etc.
so i noticed after i delete all the local content and remove the game. those files stay there. so what i did was removed game, and manually deleted all of those folders. the entire bfbc2 folder.
i redownloaded the game. installed... there it is .. piece of crap worked. hope this helps. thanks EA

Go Go Yubari
03-08-2010, 04:23 AM
ok so i know how aggrevating it can be when no one responds with a solution to these bastard problems. so i had this exact same problem. and it was totally random. yesterday my game worked. today it didnt? what changed? who knows? anyways i deleted local content from steam. removed the game. reinstalled. and it didnt work?! damn...

so next. i updated my video card driver.
didnt work. after searching through my explorer. i found a few folders for bfbc. under administrator/documents/bfbc2 with a bunch of settings files in there and etc.
so i noticed after i delete all the local content and remove the game. those files stay there. so what i did was removed game, and manually deleted all of those folders. the entire bfbc2 folder.
i redownloaded the game. installed... there it is .. piece of crap worked. hope this helps. thanks EA

I'll give that a try!
I submitted a steam ticket. They referred me to EA.
Created a EA support question...no response yet.

Go Go Yubari
03-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I deleted local content, then I deleted the BFBC2 directories (under My Documents and the Steam folder).

Downloading the re-install now...

Go Go Yubari
03-08-2010, 07:08 PM
So after a re-install:

First attempt, typical fail
Second attempt, looked promising...noticed FRAPS frame rate indicator at 0, then CTD
Unloaded FRAPS - didn't want it to cause a problem.
Several attempts - fail
Turned off steam in-game notifications
Several attempts - fail
Unloaded steam, try starting from executable
Several attempts - fail

Conclusion:
Game is a fail. Had about 1 week of running time during Beta. Sorry I made the (pre-)purchase. Live and learn I guess.

Maybe EA will come clean on this.

Avengersoul
03-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I made a post about crashing to desktop awhile ago, my ctd was in the server browser though.

Load up the game and as soon as it crashes go to your control panel and into your admin tools and look in the event viewer, on the left in event viewer expand windows logs and click application. Look for a time stamp around the same time as your crash. For me it was happening when the software protection service has started. If this is what's happening with you disable Software Protection service and try to load the game again.

Go Go Yubari
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
My fix, just implemented:

I had CTD when starting the game...never saw a game start except for last week or so of beta testing.
Always got security event ID 577 but I still do get this even after the fix.
Always got a directinput crash when running dxdiag - this was the key.

Fixed the dxdiag crash on directinput by disabling a couple of HID devices in hardware manager. The couple of devices were devices I don't even use anymore. I was able to keep my Razer DeathAdder mouse as a HID device.

After disabling the two HID devices and rebooting, dxdiag no longer fails and the game starts properly.

Hope this helps someone.
BTW, no USEFUL help from EA Support.