PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Mirrors in Episode 3?

Neveos
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
So should we be able to see Gordon in Episode 3?

-edit- Curses! How do I create a poll?

mimaz98
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
You cannot.

And, no, I personally would not.

ultradude25
03-05-2010, 12:12 AM
No.

AntiFritz
03-05-2010, 12:28 AM
No thats a bad idea.

relaxeder
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't do it for the same reason I wouldn't give Gordon a firstperson viewmodel at this point, even if it might make some technical sense the presentational trend has sort of been established already... they don't have to make mirrors to accomodate a good story anyway, they say his appearance stays hidden that way for a good reason.

Also, the mods disabled forum polls for us peasants.

HyperTech
03-05-2010, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't mind mirrors in EP 3. It would be cool.

Also we have seen Gordon in-game in earlier Half-Life games, so I wouldn't mind seeing him again. I think it's pretty neat.

ge6a_101
03-05-2010, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't do it for the same reason I wouldn't give Gordon a firstperson viewmodel at this point, even if it might make some technical sense the presentational trend has sort of been established already...

What do you mean by firstperson viewmodel ? Doesn't Gordon already have Firstperson viewmodels (the weapons) ? Or do you mean like a body viewmodel ?

yuuks7785
03-05-2010, 05:20 AM
well if Freeman gets to use the portal gun in any way similar to Portal then you could see his face when u create portals.

kommandojoe
03-05-2010, 05:33 AM
You can make working "real-time" mirrors in the original HL2. THough i don't think its needed. Maybe your reflection on water would be cool, but we don't have time for a beauty treatment with mirrors.

Solarmech
03-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Why have a mirror? It's not needed that I can see. sm

gajewoad
03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
They have the reflective surface of a deactivated commentary node, but I don't see the need for it; We all know what Gordon looks like.

RussianWolf
03-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Interestingly, though we get to see what gordon looks like, his Worldmodel, when using sv_cheats 1 and thirdperson, is his hands and glasses. We don't see his body like we did with chell.

Jinoruizraged
03-05-2010, 07:43 AM
It would be absolute nonsense to have a revelation about Gordon's character while still in the current story arc. Maybe in HL3 though, but I highly doubt it would happen there either.

HyperTech
03-05-2010, 07:45 AM
It would be absolute nonsense to have a revelation about Gordon's character while still in the current sotry arc. Maybe in HL3 though
I agree with this.

gorpie
03-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Mirrors would kill the immersion.

relaxeder
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
What do you mean by firstperson viewmodel ? Doesn't Gordon already have Firstperson viewmodels (the weapons) ? Or do you mean like a body viewmodel ?Yeah, a viewmodel for the body.

snapper.fishes
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Gordon has no reflection, so it doesn't matter. Haven't you noticed that you can't see your own reflection in water?

Neveos
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Why have a mirror? It's not needed that I can see. smIt's not really a why have mirrors, it is more of a why not have mirrors.

fuegerstef
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
No mirrors,please*.

*) I put the "please" there just for cosmetics as EVERYBODY KNOWS FOR SURE that there won't be any mirrors in HL2 EP3.

gorpie
03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
It's not really a why have mirrors, it is more of a why not have mirrors.

Why have mirrors?

Why not, is immersiveness. Unless they would implement them a la Sims 1, where no reflections were shown. Which VALVe wouldn't do.

Directx10
03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
As far as mirrors in general, they would be cool. Watching an enemy approach by staring at a mirror on a corner would be awesome.

But I don't want to see gordon in a mirror, it would take away some of the immersiveness to see some other dude in a mirror imo.

gorpie
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
But I don't want to see gordon in a mirror, it would take away some of the immersiveness to see some other dude in a mirror imo.

At least you're a dude, so it wouldn't be quite as much of a shock for you. ;) (I'd get used to it if they did it, though.)

Deadly_Target
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind.

snapper.fishes
03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
May be we will have a maze of mirrors.

And all of our GPUs will melt.

Neveos
03-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Gordon's appearance is half the reason I like Half-life

Soodle
03-06-2010, 05:23 AM
You kill the final boss. His dying words are telling you that everyone is under complete hypnosis, and think your Gordon freeman, even though he is actually dead. You walk into the next room, and look in the mirror...
You are one of them.
:O!

Solarmech
03-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Gordon's appearance is half the reason I like Half-life

Don't you mean his non appearence? ;) sm

General Frags
03-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Gordon's appearance is HALF the reason I like Half-life

I see what you did there. :cool:

phillipjfry6
03-06-2010, 06:57 AM
well, i don't think mirrors are a good idea, but gordon should have a model that looks like him, instead of that silhouette that you see when you go into thirdperson.

Freakshow
03-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Gordon has no reflection, so it doesn't matter. Haven't you noticed that you can't see your own reflection in water?

The sudden plot twist of Ep3 is that Gordon is a vampire :eek:

anzy
03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Or "he" could be Alyx's evil twin sister ^^

JgcxCub
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Hmm...
All I wish for is that they mount the view on a real model of Freeman (rather than a certain space off the ground), so for instance weapon bob looks realistic, we can see his feet, and recoil etc actually feels real rather than just shifting the camera. And of course, when you get hit by an Antlion Guard, you go flying back.
This would increase immersiveness, since we feel even more like we are Freeman himself.

youknow
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't like mirrors, but I would like to see more of Gordon's hands.

5killer
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I would much prefer being able to see Gordon's torso and feet. That would be far more immersive than seeing his reflection.

lostinseganet
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
We already know what he looks like. It would be nice to see his face in the water

turre
04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I did ask something like this few years ago and Valve answered back then: "Gordon won't ever speak, but I suppose he might catch a glimpse of himself someday."

Zekiran
04-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't mind there being reflection in some half life game, though it'd be something I want in context, and not just "oh look here's a mirror spruce yourself up, Gordon!"

slayer20
04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I already know what I look like. But thanks anyway.

Neveos
04-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I already know what I look like. But thanks anyway.If they ever do the FaceAPI stuff, for reading your facial expressions/positions/ etc... they probably just implement some sort of method of reconfiguring Gordon's face to look like you. It'll be then that you'd see a mirror image. Basically overwriting my Half-Life 1 experience in the process.

DustArma
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
You kill the final boss. His dying words are telling you that everyone is under complete hypnosis, and think your Gordon freeman, even though he is actually dead. You walk into the next room, and look in the mirror...
You are one of them.
:O!

AND GORDON WAS THE DEMONS!sorry :(

jimmysmitty
04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't mind mirrors in EP 3. It would be cool.

Also we have seen Gordon in-game in earlier Half-Life games, so I wouldn't mind seeing him again. I think it's pretty neat.

None of the cannon Half Life games have ever shown Gordon. Just the other ones not considered cannon like Blue Shift.

It would be absolute nonsense to have a revelation about Gordon's character while still in the current story arc. Maybe in HL3 though, but I highly doubt it would happen there either.

The revelation would be that Gordon is really.......

The Companion Cube.

.n.ty|e$
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM

How? Doesn't playing as nothing more than a walking point of view ruin make it harder to suspend disbelief? Doesn't being able to make objects miraculously float in mid air make it harder to suspend disbelief? All the other characters have a physical presence within the world, so why shouldn't gordon? As I understand, Gordon has played an instrumental role in many events, and personally I dont think it makes it makes sense of the liberation of city 17 was carried out by spirit or something..

Neveos
04-04-2010, 11:59 PM
None of the cannon Half Life games have ever shown Gordon. Just the other ones not considered cannon like Blue Shift.Actually, at the very end of Half-Life (non-source version), turn on the flash light before you enter the portal to accept the G-Man's employment offer.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM

This. I am totally against ever seeing or hearing Gordon, in-game.

mimaz98
04-05-2010, 03:12 AM
This is what I have to say;

How about no?

Your lack of intellectual initiative continues to astound me, Neo. It is this very argument that is constantly being brought up by people who have absolutely no grasp over the design concept itself. People end up posting the most stupid, dumbass suggestions for something that would fundamentally break Valve's design of the player character. Furthermore, there's no need for it. There's never been a need for it. Why throw it in just for the sake of it?

The entire design paradigm revolving around the protagonist is about creating an immersive experience without cues from the main character. We've all played games where the character you play lets out a spiel about how he wants revenge or what he needs to do, regardless of whether or not the player thinks the same. Valve's aim has been to fore-go these kinds of detrimental mechanics, instead trying to create a motivating environment that doesn't need explanation from your character. Your character shouldn't have to remind you to feel sad when something bad happens. If Valve pulled it off right, you should feel saddened. Valve chose not to have Gordon speak not only to avoid cliched point-of-view narration that feels like the player's direction is being forced, but also because it paid off in spades to have a mute protagonist motivated by other characters and happenings in the game world, with no dissonance on the player's end. This does, of course, entail a few odd moments where you just want to blurt out "What the hell's happening?!" to another character. But that's a small sacrifice done for the sake of consistency, and I think it's proven to be something of a quirky charm for many fans.

The visual image of Gordon Freeman is the same deal. Yes, the character does have his own name, as well as a face to go along with it. But that really should be it. That's the shell of a role the player assumes. And the reason it's worked so well is because it rests nearly entirely on the player's projections, something I find to be a far more efficient way of generating emotional/immersive feedback than any reflective surface can. If I was battling against a pack of Hunters in some abandoned building and suddenly gazed across a mirror and saw myself, what would I see looking back at me? A blank stare? Some kind of "angry" facial expression? That is a surefire way to remove me from my character; when Gordon Freeman no longer reflects my internal dialogue. This is the problem. Either Valve doesn't bother at all and leaves Gordon looking like an eternally-staring husk or they try to force visual cues in the reflection. Both would fall flat on their faces.

It would be a step backwards, I think. We're not talking about an NPC that can be scripted tightly with all its body posturing and facial animation. You can't script the player character's expressions in a game like this without it looking stupid and out-of-place. I'm suddenly thinking of the times I've played Halo or CoD. Every time the protagonist talks, or I see myself in a reflection, I am reminded instantly that it is merely a game. And I consequently did not give a ♥♥♥♥ about my character or anybody else for the entire duration. This entire concept is able elevating the experience to something so much more profound and personal.

Not that I need to worry about your objections. Valve are obviously sticking to their guns on this matter.

Kudos to them!

ultradude25
04-05-2010, 03:36 AM
None of the cannon Half Life games have ever shown Gordon. Just the other ones not considered cannon like Blue Shift.
Would HLD:S be considered cannon?

http://images.matt-russell.com/snapshot0000.jpg

Inimical_rize
04-05-2010, 03:47 AM
No, mirrors never seem to correct, it ruins realism of the game

fuegerstef
04-05-2010, 03:50 AM
How? Doesn't playing as nothing more than a walking point of view ruin make it harder to suspend disbelief? Doesn't being able to make objects miraculously float in mid air make it harder to suspend disbelief? All the other characters have a physical presence within the world, so why shouldn't gordon? As I understand, Gordon has played an instrumental role in many events, and personally I dont think it makes it makes sense of the liberation of city 17 was carried out by spirit or something..

Because I* am Gordon. Unfortunately VALVe was forced by Sierra to give Gordon an appearance on the cover and now the kiddies want to see that character so they can see and be sure that they really are another person in another universe since their own miserable lifes are so poor that they don't want to play as themselves.

*) respectively all the others who play the game.

MF_Kitten
04-05-2010, 06:25 AM
there are already mirrors in HL2. they're just so dirty and filthy that they aren't reflecting anything anymore ;)

i would love to see mirrors that reflected everything diffused and messed up, because the metal sheet is rusted and calcified, and it's dirty and messed up, etc. so you see a vague hint of a basic human face in the reflection, but you can't make out any features. the same would go for other reflections. they would just be too dirty and non-smooth to really reflect things properly, but you'd be reflected, none the less.

as for seeing Gordon's body like in l4d etc, it wouldn't spoil anything, as long as it wasn't very apparent, and it was disguised and anonymous due to the hazard suit.

senne teddy
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Wouldn't it be scary if you come in a bathroom and look in the mirror and you see the gman o.0

michael89
04-05-2010, 07:09 AM
OB-source features reflective surfaces / mirrors.
The problems in them are:

- cant render player without thirdperson-command in console
- Heavy (especially when map has multiple mirrors) ( = wont meet the valve's "everyone should have a chance to play our games" - policy )

Ps. that policy - stuff was not trolling.
They really have that kind of policy with their games, which is ok to me.

gorpie
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't it be scary if you come in a bathroom and look in the mirror and you see the gman o.0

LOL.

Would HLD:S be considered cannon?

http://images.matt-russell.com/snapshot0000.jpg

I believe that's in the non-Source version as well.

For me and apparently lots of others it doesn't. For you and a few others it apparently does. (Just because it's a minority opinion doesn't mean your viewpoint isn't valid.)

For me it would kill immersion because if I walk past a mirror, I sure as hell don't expect to see a dude's face with a goatee. :p

Gordon does have a physical presence in the world. Other people see him, talk to him, react to him. He can interact with things and (to a limited extent) with people.

supernaut
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Who gives a ♥♥♥♥ about mirrors?!

michael89
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM

conceited people, who want to see their love ones. :p
(kidding)

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 01:03 PM

I think the idea here is that, some people think we should be able to "see" Gordon. This could also contribute to the idea of seeing legs/other parts of his body. I, for one, think that it is a terrible idea, and as gorpie said, it would completely ruin the immersion.

gorpie
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I think the idea here is that, some people think we should be able to "see" Gordon. This could also contribute to the idea of seeing legs/other parts of his body. I, for one, think that it is a terrible idea, and as gorpie said, it would completely ruin the immersion.

Well, if you're a male caucasian with brown hair and a goatee, seeing "yourself" (Gordon) in a mirror might not ruin immersion. Especially if you also wear glasses... :)

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
So, when Marc Laidlaw plays, for example? :p

gorpie
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm sure there are other male caucasians with brown hair and a goatee out there who play Half-Life. :) And even wear glasses. :p

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I personally know at least 3 guys who could easily be Gordon at a glance. 4 if you count the guy from Deviantart I talked to at the comic con. And 5 if you count the guy I almost jumped on at the con before that, who looked *exactly* like him, only didn't know who Gordon Freeman was.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
"almost jumped on"? I am intrigued. :p

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
"almost jumped on"? I am intrigued. :p

Well I had just started really immersing myself into half life's universe. And since at least 2 out of the 3 other guys I knew that look like Gordon (one's more chunky, one's more skinny and tall) were either married or otherwise occupied, and the other nowhere near me, I was looking over every hunka manmeat that bore a slight resemblance to Gordon. :)

... Okay look I have been single a LONG TIME. >_<

No seriously he was absolutely drop dead right on Gordon. It threw my companion cube heart down the incinerator to see his eyes glaze over in confusion when I said "Wow you look JUST like Gordon Freeman!"... he had no clue. I was T___T.

Xia
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Well I had just started really immersing myself into half life's universe. And since at least 2 out of the 3 other guys I knew that look like Gordon (one's more chunky, one's more skinny and tall) were either married or otherwise occupied, and the other nowhere near me, I was looking over every hunka manmeat that bore a slight resemblance to Gordon. :)

No seriously he was absolutely drop dead right on Gordon. It threw my companion cube heart down the incinerator to see his eyes glaze over in confusion when I said "Wow you look JUST like Gordon Freeman!"... he had no clue. I was T___T.

Pics? :D

eyefork
04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
They should add a thing where you can put a picture of your face in the game. That way, you will see yourself when you look in the mirror.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:06 PM

LOL. So I take it you have a -slight- thing for Gordon? That's funny. I showed my girlfriend a picture of Gordon, and she is every eh whatever about videogames, and she says "He's pretty cute". Haha. It was the famous HL2 picture.

They should add a thing where you can put a picture of your face in the game. That way, you will see yourself when you look in the mirror.

I will definitely +rep you for that one. Hilarious.

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Pics? :D

I wish. Suffice to say that he had the same large dark-rimmed glasses, a more tawny brown hair than you'd see on the product covers, but the same 'engineer guy' goatee and nicely cut clothes. In other words he looked like every other young-30s white science/tech geek out there under the weight of 200 lbs. :)

But then again there's biggestsonicfan, who is too young for me, but still a hottie none the less, as Gordon. Have a medkit! (http://lethe-gray.deviantart.com/art/Have-a-medkit-Freeman-131022384) And yes, that's me with his crowbar - which was a FAKE CROWBAR! so well done :)

Xia
04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I wish. Suffice to say that he had the same large dark-rimmed glasses, a more tawny brown hair than you'd see on the product covers, but the same 'engineer guy' goatee and nicely cut clothes. In other words he looked like every other young-30s white science/tech geek out there under the weight of 200 lbs. :)

But then again there's biggestsonicfan, who is too young for me, but still a hottie none the less, as Gordon. Have a medkit! (http://lethe-gray.deviantart.com/art/Have-a-medkit-Freeman-131022384) And yes, that's me with his crowbar - which was a FAKE CROWBAR! so well done :)

Whoah, uncanny. Is it just me or does the gravity gun looks like it's made of paper?

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Wow. That dude looks dead on Gordon.

ultradude25
04-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Have a medkit! (http://lethe-gray.deviantart.com/art/Have-a-medkit-Freeman-131022384)
I see someone's been using the changelevel command to get the Super Gravity Gun out of the Citadel. :)

I wonder if that guy that made a full scale model of the Portal Gun with lights and everything made a Gravity Gun? These ones using the low res world model textures really ruin the look.

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Whoah, uncanny. Is it just me or does the gravity gun looks like it's made of paper?

It is, it's a papercraft item. I think he has the instructions for it somewhere on his deviantart account, I can't remember whether he designed it himself or if he got it from somewhere.

And yeah, he's really, really good as gordon. heheh. He's fun as other things (http://biggestsonicfan.deviantart.com/art/Crossplay-Jessica-Nigri-150572633) too though. And he's got plenty of other fans (http://wolf-shadow77.deviantart.com/art/har-dee-har-har-128213422) :)

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey now, don't get too excited over there! :p

He is probably the best life-like Gordon I have ever seen.

PS: You look a little too happy in that picture. :)

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh hahahah no, the first image is being blocked if you're not a member of da because it's kind of an "incite to riot" thing involving another cosplayer he's making fun of. :)

Xia
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Sounds pretty cool.
+devWATCH :P

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Sounds pretty cool.
+devWATCH :P

aha that was you :D

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
That's it! Now I know how to get the ladies. Now, all I need is darker hair..

Gunna have to go mute, too..

Xia
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately I mainly use it for watching. The most I have for editing programs is Microsoft Paint.

But I digress, back on the topic of Freeman, they could do something like in Mirrors Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo), so that you could at least see your body during sprint or jumping. But then again, that's a totally different style of game.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately I mainly use it for watching. The most I have for editing programs is Microsoft Paint.

But I digress, back on the topic of Freeman, they could do something like in Mirrors Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo), so that you could at least see your body during sprint or jumping. But then again, that's a totally different style of game.

She is a hottie. Just sayin'.

But I think that works a lot better because the main character talks and has a "personality", and, the amount of emphasis that needs to be incorporated with each physical maneuver is very high.

Neveos
04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Gordon had red hair. Dunno why they changed it.

gorpie
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Didn't you just say you had a girlfriend??? :confused: :p

And wouldn't that only work with ladies who've played HL (especially with the lab coat and crowbar...)? ;)

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Didn't you just say you had a girlfriend??? :confused: :p

And wouldn't that only work with ladies who've played HL (especially with the lab coat and crowbar...)? ;)

Sorry, should have said "ex". :)

LOL yeah I guess you are right. Though, nerds are "in", didn't you know? :p

Xia
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM

If you decide to dye your hair, post us some pics! :D

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
They certainly are. :) And yeah I've seen Gordon with red, brown, and "medium dark" hair in a variety of places, not the least of which is on the covers/media of the games. If he's like most guys with brown hair, if it's nice and clean in the sun it'll look red, and under bright lights it'd look more dishwater-brown. >_>

Naaaaw I haven't thought about this at ALLLLLL. :)

The Mirror's edge thing is nice, though I think they'd require a lot more intensive animation work because the animations in hl2 are kind of stilted in general and not as smooth. If it'd be something you're going to have to look at like that all the time while playing, it needs to be way smoother than it currently is, sad to say.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
What, there cannot be a German Gordon, with blond hair and blue eyes? ;)

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't even know how many blondes there are in the game... o.o not too many... at all? o.0

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Kleiner? At some point? :p

And possibly Dr. Breen?

Xia
04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
What, there cannot be a German Gordon, with blond hair and blue eyes? ;)

Say what?
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab16/ixianda/gordon_freeman_big.jpg

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
LOL. I will rep you for that one. That's the look I am going for. Don't ya know? Blonde and blue is back "in". ;)

Xia
04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, one to their own tastes, I suppose. Personally I like Gordon fine the way he is.;)

Neveos
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I like him the way he was. Long red hair pulled into a pony tail. Like Valve's Kelly Bailey: http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/2701294/Kelly+Bailey+kellybailey.jpg

Xia
04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Kleiner? At some point? :p

And possibly Dr. Breen?

No go. There's a picture of a younger Kleiner on a magazine on his lab bulletin board. As for Breen, I have no clue.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Good call. I've got a feeling that Breen was a blondie.

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I like Breen with the sexy silver hair and beard. He's a very handsome man, but I'm positive he's left a trail of disgusted, angry ex-wives behind him on his way to being where he is when we get to know him...

I can't really think of too many blondes in the story - Mossman was meant to be blond earlier, right? But she was changed too, which I think is interesting.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Haha. One might call him a playa', then.

Have we determined if Breen is blond or not? Weird, I guess there aren't too many. What about the dude that gives Gordon the rocket launcher in HL2?

Xia
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Haha. One might call him a playa', then.

Have we determined if Breen is blond or not? Weird, I guess there aren't too many. What about the dude that gives Gordon the rocket launcher in HL2?

Odessa Cubbage (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/mk/0/0a/Odessa_Cubbage_bust.jpg) looks like he might have blonde hair from what you can tell from his eyebrows (and mustache), but I'm pretty sure Breen had brown hair.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks. Although your pic links to a set of headphones, lmao. Cubbage might be the only one that may have had blond hair.

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah Cubbage is pretty blond. The face model is hilariously contradictory though - his hair is very white and whispy and then these massive bushy blond-red eyebrows lol!

Xia
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I felt Cubbage's model was just weird in general. Especially with the toque, it just doesn't fit.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
So, what's up with that? No blond love? Only one model? :p

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Helena Mossman, Judith's predecessor who was cut (similarly to how odessa WAS Alyx's dad... eeeeeew) before hl2 was finalized, was quite blond. I have to wonder, whether that character would remain the betrayer / redeemed type that she became, or whether they had an entirely different idea for these cut characters.

I need Raising the Bar so badly.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I didn't know that she started out blond. Interesting.

Zekiran
04-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Yup. (http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Helena_Mossman) You breeze around the wikia long enough you find some very, very interesting things.

surfrock22
04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Wow, at that model. Weird. I am very glad that they changed her. +rep

supernaut
04-06-2010, 01:23 AM
I think the idea here is that, some people think we should be able to "see" Gordon. This could also contribute to the idea of seeing legs/other parts of his body.

Yeah I got that part. :p

Whether you were being serious or not, if any sort of character customization is introduced to Half-Life then I'll pack my bags and ♥♥♥♥ off.

DirectVic
04-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Breen always looked like he had brown hair to me, and his predecessor, The Consul (http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/The_Consul), is bald, but appears to have had black hair.

And in case anyone's wondering, the Prima Guide hints that Odessa Cubbage's moustache may very well be fake (it does fit with his University of Rochester Security jacket).

trenmost
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
no mirrors

phillipjfry6
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Well, if there were mirrors in the current version of Half-Life 2, you'd see a silhouette of gordon using crotch weaponry.

gorpie
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Sorry, should have said "ex". :)

LOL yeah I guess you are right. Though, nerds are "in", didn't you know? :p

Looking's fine; I just didn't see why you'd want to be a babe magnet if you have a girlfriend. But the "ex" changes things. :p

Neveos
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Portals kinda qualify in this case. If Valve is going to continue using the portal technology seen in Portal, the chances of seeing Gordon are pretty good.

mimaz98
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Portal and Half-Life will always be separate entities.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Portals kinda qualify in this case. If Valve is going to continue using the portal technology seen in Portal, the chances of seeing Gordon are pretty good.

I don't think the portal technology will be used in the same way, if at all, in the next Half-Life game.

Xia
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

I really hope that Valve doesn't decide to implement portal tech. I just can't see Gordon running around with an ASHPD or anything like that.

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, to be quite honest, I don't see the point of giving the same power to Gordon. Seems redundant.

.n.ty|e$
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
How would realizing that you are playing as a "real" person, not just a floating point of view kill immersion? Anything that helps you suspend disbelief kills immersion?

gorpie
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
How would realizing that you are playing as a "real" person, not just a floating point of view kill immersion? Anything that helps you suspend disbelief kills immersion?

Because I'm a woman and don't have a goatee?

I already feel "real enough" in the game. I know you and some others don't feel the same, but you need to realize that many or most of us don't feel the way you do.

mimaz98
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Oh, looky here. Guess who's trying to write off other people's opinions?

supernaut
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

1. I'm playing a video game, that will never change. Even if you give me character customization, voice and face recognition, mirrors, puddles, portals, motion control, sensor vest, 3D glasses, etc. I will always be playing a video game.

2. You are not playing a "real" person, you're role-playing.

3. Game developers don't have identical game design philosophies, so there's not a specific list of things to tick off.

Iron-sights? Check.
Cover system? Check.
Character model? Check.
Character voice? Check.
Character with big ♥♥♥♥ to get teenagers excited? Check.
Cheesy one-liners? Check.
Explosions? Check.
Boss battles? Check.
Epic music? Check.
Slow motion? Check.

And the list goes on and on. :rolleyes:

If Valve = Epic = Infinity = GSC = DICE = id = Bungie = Guerrilla = Insomniac = Irrational = whatever, then why the ♥♥♥♥ would I buy more than one game, ever?

surfrock22
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Neo, I think you're either missing the point of the immersion of Gordon, or you just don't like the way he is implemented in the game.

We don't want to play someone else. That's what we do in every other damn game on the planet. Playing "yourself" is what keeps everything so compelling!

shawnhollern
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
feet would be a nice touch.

EDJE
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Mirrors = No.
Reflection = Yes